RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED] Spike Trap Tutorial

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
I am using RMXP and wanted to know how to make a spike trap.  Here's what I want it to do.

-  Timed so the player has time to get over it before it comes up.
-  When the player steps on a spike that is fully up, they take damage.  Shows this by a flash on screen and sound happening.

For a better idea of what I want to do for it, I'd like to fill a room with these with a few "safe spots" that the player can stop at when the spikes are up.  At the end of the area there is a switch that will shut off the trap and open a door.

I've been trying to do it myself but can't seem to get it to work right.  It either works once and then never again or it doesn't work at all.  I got the spikes to move at least!  I can provide screen shots of what I got if needed. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 06:44:21 PM by Zeriab »

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
I have tried to do this and have not suceeded.

What you can do as an alternative is have two paths that lead to the same exit, one shorter than the other, the shorter one has spikes that when you step on them you get hurt.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Okay, so all you want is multiple spike traps? Do they all move on the same timer? Or do some come up after others?

I want them all to come up at the same time and go down at the same time. 

The layout of the room is just a beginning spot where you walk in and then the rest of the room is spikes except for a few safe spots.  The thing you are trying to get to is a switch so you can open a door in the other room.  When the switch is hit, it will shut off the trap also.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Try making your spike trap events like this and pasting them all over the map:

It's not ideal or anything, just something I thought of quick.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Did you test it because that doesn't look like it will work.

That works out great.  Only problem I have now is that when the character reaches 0 health they don't die.  Not sure why it's doing that unless there is no script outside of battle that says if you are at 0 life then you die.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Checkoff the knockout out of battle thing when they take damage

Alright that worked.  Thanks guys for all the help!

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Has your request been completed? write [RESOLVED] in the topic title

Rep:
Level 86
Deal damage doesnt have the check thing that when you die its the change HP command.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Try making your spike trap events like this and pasting them all over the map:

It's not ideal or anything, just something I thought of quick.
Yeah, there was a tutorial on this before. Remove all the lines and just make it set on "Player Touch," I think. That'll remove the need to check for the person's X and Y. You can also use a move event to jump them back.

Rep:
Level 97
He wants it timed moo. Meaning you don't need to step on them for them to move up, they move up and down in a regular pattern and you get hurt if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Ohhh... Okay. Then I can't think of another way of doing it. :P My bad. I should never have doubted you, ex-sensei.