RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Science Or Signs

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
You said in science there are no monsters. What about mutated rabbits and bed monsters?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 11:38:46 PM by oneray »

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
Isn't it arrogant to think we are highest beings in universe. Why there shouldn't exist higher beings than us. Is a tree conscious of our being. I think not. Does chicken knows it is actually on a farm and that it will be killed and eaten by higher form of beings? I think not. So, why do we think our planet is not farm for some "gods", or should we say higher level of beings. We don't need to be food in our way of food chain. That can be our emotions. For example, because of some "alien" interference we start to make wars, and people die, there is suffering and such. And some higher being, e.g. that represent itself as Mars, feeds on those negative emotions, because it is not of physical, or at least it is not whole about physical existence, let's say it is a thought form. And we have other being, for example Eros, that feeds on emotions of love, so when some people are in love, they exude hormones; so why wouldn't some higher beings feed on our emotions, hormones and such. You think you would know if someone is feeding on you, a hell would you know. Tree does not know that you are eating it's apple. And what if when you shudder that actually some higher being is feeding on you?
Did you know that some old civilizations all over the world have draw on walls of their temples or whatever flying saucers? What about mythologies? You really think that is all pure imagination? OK, imagination is cool stuff, but it must be based on something.

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
But theres still some things science hasn't figured out yet. That's why people still have religion. Its unfortunate that some of the major religions are totally insane. Hopefully thanks to the Pagan Revival movement, more people will be partaking in sane religions.

Science dosen't know why,
#1. The meaning of life.
#2. If some higher form of life doesn't exsist, then why do we swear up and down there is.

Also, The Gods made Heavy Metal. It explains perfectly why real Metal is awesome. And why the band Manowar gives Emos seisures.

Also, The Gods don't like Emos.

Wow...

Erm...

The pagan revival movement eh? So you consider worshiping an inanimate object such as the sun more sane than worshiping a higher being.... Right.

And yes, I do realize that's not the only pagan religion, but worshiping nature is a huge part of it.

PS: I thought this was funny, for months I had been riding past a christian church which had Sun Worship at 10:00 (the time is irrelevant), and I would ride by going WTF?!?
It took until not so long ago for me to realize they meant Sunday Worship... They didn't have a period to indicate shorthand.

@Corvus Sangreal - Good Point.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
What is wrong with idol worship? Worship means to devote time to concentrate on god. That is what happens in idol worship. Idol worship might even be better. When you worship an idol, you visualize and concentrate a lot easier when you don't have anything to use.

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
For me, 'tis signs. Although I don't think science really contrasts God; scientific discovery is an on-going process, and if we find something that seems to scream GAWD IS TEH FAKE!, it's because another explanation has yet to arise, though one inevitably will.

And hey, religion has an major advantage over atheism and what-have-you: atheists and agnostics don't really have anything to curse. "Oh, extensive string of coincidental occurances in a chronological timeframe" don't really have punch to it.

All joking aside, what makes Paganism more sane then, say, Buddhism? If it's merely a matter of concentration ease...that doesn't say much for the worshipper, now does it? Besides, if I recall correctly, the gods of pre-New Agey Stuff tended to be somewhat...capricious. Bit of a frightening thought.

And here's one more thing to consider; why would macroevolution, being a thing of random processes and sheer chance, cause bacterium to become humans(disregarding the really, really, really long time skip I'm neglecting to mention)eventually? If evolution is about survivability, then why wouldn't they stay bacterium? They might become tougher strains by evolution's creed, but they wouldn't randomly become more advanced beings by themselves.

Finally, I have this to say to those who don't attend to Intelligent Design: explain the Cambrian Explosion.
Life is too short to take seriously.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
metalcore loving gay pride christian
For me, 'tis signs. Although I don't think science really contrasts God; scientific discovery is an on-going process, and if we find something that seems to scream GAWD IS TEH FAKE!, it's because another explanation has yet to arise, though one inevitably will.

You dismiss evidence for no good reason besides that you think it will be disproven in the future?

Besides, if I recall correctly, the gods of pre-New Agey Stuff tended to be somewhat...capricious. Bit of a frightening thought.

All gods (with a few exceptions) are selfish, cruel, and jealous. The biggest between ancient pagan religions and modern ones is that the modern ones are more organized and there is a larger emphasis on orthodoxy.

And here's one more thing to consider; why would macroevolution, being a thing of random processes and sheer chance, cause bacterium to become humans(disregarding the really, really, really long time skip I'm neglecting to mention)eventually? If evolution is about survivability, then why wouldn't they stay bacterium? They might become tougher strains by evolution's creed, but they wouldn't randomly become more advanced beings by themselves.

Evolution is not just random change, and if it was it would invalidate the rest of your question.

The Earth isn't a perfect sphere covered with an even coating of nutritious gel. Only so many organisms can occupy a niche before it becomes full, and the ones who didn't make it in time will have to evolve to deal with it, either by evolving to adapt to another niche or to out-compete an organism in a niche that is already occupied.

Also, humans did not evolve from bacteria.

Finally, I have this to say to those who don't attend to Intelligent Design: explain the Cambrian Explosion.

Look here and here.

During the Cambrian, there was the first appearance of hard parts, such as shells and teeth, in animals. The lack of readily fossilizable parts before then ensures that the fossil record would be very incomplete in the Precambrian. The old age of the Precambrian era contributes to a scarcity of fossils.

The Cambrian Explosion is partly an illusion.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 07:48:52 PM by Saladin »

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Isn't it arrogant to think we are highest beings in universe. Why there shouldn't exist higher beings than us. Is a tree conscious of our being. I think not. Does chicken knows it is actually on a farm and that it will be killed and eaten by higher form of beings? I think not. So, why do we think our planet is not farm for some "gods", or should we say higher level of beings. We don't need to be food in our way of food chain. That can be our emotions. For example, because of some "alien" interference we start to make wars, and people die, there is suffering and such. And some higher being, e.g. that represent itself as Mars, feeds on those negative emotions, because it is not of physical, or at least it is not whole about physical existence, let's say it is a thought form. And we have other being, for example Eros, that feeds on emotions of love, so when some people are in love, they exude hormones; so why wouldn't some higher beings feed on our emotions, hormones and such. You think you would know if someone is feeding on you, a hell would you know. Tree does not know that you are eating it's apple. And what if when you shudder that actually some higher being is feeding on you?
Did you know that some old civilizations all over the world have draw on walls of their temples or whatever flying saucers? What about mythologies? You really think that is all pure imagination? OK, imagination is cool stuff, but it must be based on something.
FINALLY! A logical, thought out reason for why I feel depressed!!
Spoiler for:
:V

Isn't it arrogant to think we are highest beings in universe. Why there shouldn't exist higher beings than us.
Yes, that's one of the only parts I agree with. But it's also arrogant to think the opposite ( that there IS  a higher being ).

Does chicken knows it is actually on a farm and that it will be killed and eaten by higher form of beings? I think not. So, why do we think our planet is not farm for some "gods", or should we say higher level of beings. We don't need to be food in our way of food chain. That can be our emotions. For example, because of some "alien" interference we start... Etc... Something about an apple... Etc..
... HOW DID YOU KNOW ABOUT MY REAL RELIGION?!?!

People of science don't believe in this in the same way they don't believe in religion: the idea isn't plausible enough to entertain in our minds.

People of ( other ) religions don't believe in it because THEIR RELIGION IS THE CORRECT ONE AND IT'S NOT MENTIONED.

Did you know that some old civilizations all over the world have draw on walls of their temples or whatever flying saucers?
No I didn't. But I did know that certain people found drawings that they misconstrued to be flying saucers. =)

What about mythologies? You really think that is all pure imagination?
I wouldn't say imagination, but yes, I do think that it was all created by man to combat the fear of nothingness.

OK, imagination is cool stuff, but it must be based on something.
No, it doesn't have to be based on something real, that's why it's called imagination.

Imagination;

4.   the product of imagining; a conception or mental creation, often a baseless or fanciful one.
a.      The formation of a mental image of something that is neither perceived as real nor present to the senses.
d.      An unrealistic idea or notion; a fancy.

The pagan revival movement eh? So you consider worshiping an inanimate object such as the sun more sane than worshiping a higher being.... Right.
I do! At least I can see their god.

PS: I thought this was funny, for months I had been riding past a christian church which had Sun Worship at 10:00 (the time is irrelevant), and I would ride by going WTF?!?
It took until not so long ago for me to realize they meant Sunday Worship... They didn't have a period to indicate shorthand.
K.

What is wrong with idol worship? Worship means to devote time to concentrate on god. That is what happens in idol worship. Idol worship might even be better. When you worship an idol, you visualize and concentrate a lot easier when you don't have anything to use.
I have nothing against idol worship or meditation, ( I don't do it but ) I think it can just as good, and wield the same, if not better results then any other religion.

@Ryter: I don't have much to add, Saladin said most of it. But in my mind, the Christian god seems just as cruel and undecided as the old gods.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I believe in science. Yet I only believe in proven facts of science. Also I believe in God. It doesn't mean I don't believe in science.

EDIT: And I don't believe in monsters and ghosts. O_O

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
Religion does have some scientific purpose in it. In hinduism it states that everything is created by energy and energy is the fastest thing in the universe. Everything comes from one ultimate source of energy which was not created. I was already there. Scienctists today are started to relieaze that. Atoms are actually balls of energy and the transfer of energy from one object to another surpasses light.

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I beleive in both science and signs (as you put it), I majorly beleive in science.  I think everything can be explained a scienctific manor, but I do beleive in astrology (as it has been proven time and time again by studies that it DOES in fact change your life), I think it can be explained scientifically, but we can't understand it yet.  I do not beleive in a celestial influence, such as "god".

Holier then Jesus.
Rep:
Level 87
I believe that if every one of these questions could be answered then it counts as a strong and probaly true philosiphy or religion.Origins, Meaning, Morality, and Final Destiny. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 01:03:29 AM by cobragamer »

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean  :-\

Holier then Jesus.
Rep:
Level 87
Questions like this? How,where, and who brought this religion/philosophy. What does philosophy mean. What does the moral accept. What is the final destiny of the religion.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
is english your first language?  ???

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
OK this topic i dunno may have been said in separate ways but i joined this topic.
Do you belive in:-

Science:-That There is no God, there is nothing as Psychics,everything in the world is scientific, there are no ghosts no monsters no nothing except advancement in science and technology.

Signs:-That our astrology is true,There Is God,There are ghosts and monsters, There are things in the world science cant explain, there is magic.

I really vote for both but more in Signs, cuz science is a thing, But It tries to show the signs part that all is in Technology, I believe in God,Ghosts,MOnster(the 2nd and 3rd i belive Less for safety)I belive in Magic, but i also belive in Science that there are a few things scientific.

(give opnions.DUH!) :mrgreen:

Science: That everything can be explained through logic thinking. That there may be a way to explain every mystery of this universe without the need of the supernatural and spiritual.

Signs: That there is a reason for our existence. That we are more than matter and physics. That there is something beyond our eyes and other senses. Beyond our reach. That there is an essence inside of each person that makes him or her unique. That there is life before life and after death.

In my opinion? Science is just one more instrument of God. He gave us logic. He gave us free will. And we develop it through science. There is nothing wrong with science, as long as the Human does not try to play the role of God. Science just explains the complexity of God's creation. Its beauty and mystery. May it be through mathematical expressions. The universe is wonderful, and science helps us to discover its every wonder.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
The way that Arwym defines science and signs, I would have to say I am all for science.  I think that people just beleive in god so that they can go through their daily lives, not thinking how pointless it is.  If there is a god, than you can live forever after death, I don't beleive in heaven and hell.  I beleive after you die, you cease to exist.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
And according to you, why is it pointless to believe in God in order to "go through our daily lives"? Living without believing in anything (whether God or ANYTHING ELSE) is the pointless to me. Like believing in love, or believing in that life is a priviledge. You don't have to believe in a god in order to go through your life.
Your problem is that you are going against anything that has to do with God no matter what happens, and take any chance you get to make your opinion count, but with non-constructive criticism.

At first, this topic was not directed to God, but like many people, the first thing to do is bring the intolerance to religion up.

This topic was meant to be more general, in order to cover any type of belief.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I am not saying I am not leading a pointless life, what I am saying is that everyone is living a pointless life.  Anything you do amounts to nothing, always.

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
As a reply to the meaning of science and signs

Science- is how the world, the universe, were created, how they exist, and how they are destroyed, pertains to the physical aspects of life

Signs- is spirtuality, how we should treat each other and pertains towards the mental aspects of life

I think both are interconnected as good and evil. One is about physical things while the other is about mental things. Also, I though Physics was actually science? 

OMG!! IVE RUN OUT OF EYELINER!!!
Rep:
Level 88
More man than everyone here put together.
I think that people just beleive in god so that they can go through their daily lives, not thinking how pointless it is. If there is a god, than you can live forever after death.

And this is a positive thing?
Can you imagine how bored you would be with life after 700,000 years?

Also, atheists and racists shouldn't be allowed to celebrate christmas.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 12:15:16 PM by Elegy »
The opposite of intelligence is not stupidity, it's patriotism.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
STOP TRYING TO KILL CHRISTMAS, GRINCH!  also, 700,000 years of "heaven" would be nice.  heaven 'n hookers go together like hookers 'n aids.

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
Mmmmmmmmmmm....Heaven and hookers.

OMG!! IVE RUN OUT OF EYELINER!!!
Rep:
Level 88
More man than everyone here put together.
In heaven there are no hookers :< In heaven there is no sex before marriage.
The opposite of intelligence is not stupidity, it's patriotism.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Heaven is the ultimate paradise. You are all the time in a State of Orgasm. xD
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Lol, I agree with Elegy on this part too >.>

How am I meant to attack you if you keep making good posts...

That orgasm part, although I'm sure it's meant as a joke, sounds quite perverted to me.
Even a continues orgasm would get boring after awhile no mater how perfect it is...

Edit: Wait, I didn't see this;

Also, atheists and racists shouldn't be allowed to celebrate christmas.
What? Not that I do celebrate Christmas, but that's really WTF?