RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Internet Censorship Bill

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
I am going to provide reasoning that holds no logic whatsoever.

Anyway, you're absolutely right. I'll keep signing.

Gods ain't gonna help ya son...

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
We don't live in a capitalist society.
:I
I'm not sure how you could sincerely call it capitalism knowing how much the government controls and influences the market.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
It is totally capitalist, but the people who have capitalized in the past leave legacies that influence government in order to stay profitable. This, in turn, stops new businesses, corporations, and visionaries from getting far enough ahead to become sustainable.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
It is totally capitalist, but the people who have capitalized in the past leave legacies that influence government in order to stay profitable. This, in turn, stops new businesses, corporations, and visionaries from getting far enough ahead to become sustainable.
You described a corporatocracy, not a capitalist system. When the government is involved in the market, whether as a tool for large corporations and elite bankers or not, it's not capitalism.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
The two are not mutually exclusive. Same as a "capitalist democracy," which is what we are labeled as, the "democracy" part doesn't make us less capitalist. Even if we do have a corporatocracy, that doesn't mean we aren't capitalist. In fact, I would argue that a corporatocracy would be nearly impossible without a capitalist society, or at least some form of society where a certain few businesses are allowed to rise above the rest.

Rep:
Level 102
The two are not mutually exclusive. Same as a "capitalist democracy," which is what we are labeled as, the "democracy" part doesn't make us less capitalist. Even if we do have a corporatocracy, that doesn't mean we aren't capitalist. In fact, I would argue that a corporatocracy would be nearly impossible without a capitalist society, or at least some form of society where a certain few businesses are allowed to rise above the rest.
Capitalism implies that we have laissez-faire, but corporatocracy couldn't exist if we did have laissez-faire. A capitalist society can transform into a corporatocracy, but it can't be both at the same time.

Rep:
Level 94
Sure it can. Laissez-Faire only applies to legal and governmental prevention of another company's business. These SOPA and PIPA bills are a perfect example of how we can be capitalist and a corporatocracy at the same time. I'll use the RIAA as an example:

The RIAA doesn't want you to give money to anyone but the RIAA. That is the only thing that it cares about. It is, after all, a business. It can't have the government stop you from giving money to others, because that would be obstruction of Laissez-Faire. It can, however, stop or limit your exposure to anything except properties that gain the RIAA money. This can be done by disguising SOPA and PIPA as "noble bills" that are there to stop people from pirating music from their artists. This is fine, but beyond that, they could potentially shut down any site that even has the capability of sharing pirated content. That means that in addition to keeping you from sharing RIAA artists' music, it would also keep you in the dark as to new, independent content.

The music industry is just a small example, but this also applies to any sort of trade. In the physical world, imagine that say, Macy's, owns every building on a city block except one. The small, independent clothing shop located there will not sell. But, Macy's needs the real estate to build a new store. They can't directly get involved in the shop, but they can use underhanded tactics to get around it. Maybe they search for, and report any sort of building code violations. This has the potential to get the small store shut down, without directly becoming involved with the sales end of the business.

So again, Capitalism doesn't imply that we have Laissez-Faire. We just happen to have both.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
The term is plutocracy, rule by the wealthy.

Our economy is capitalist, which feeds directly into our government being a plutocracy, as the wealthy pay the govenment to just do whatever they want.

More than just corporations send money to the government for favors, so I think corporatocracy is a bit limited in scope.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I'll agree with that, NAM.

All this talk about internet censorship made me think of the Great Firewall of China, as I'm sure it did to many. Obviously, the bill is nowhere near that scope, but I firmly believe that in most cases freedom is not taken, it is given away bit by bit untill we have none.

If this bill gets passed, how long before congress feels that the kind of control China suffers is appropriate for America?
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 94
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/14/white-house-sopa-pipa_n_1206347.html

This is a victory! Thank you to everyone else who did something other than bitching about it!

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/14/white-house-sopa-pipa_n_1206347.html

This is a victory! Thank you to everyone else who did something other than bitching about it!

I was about to post this article about it as well.

I'm glad so many of us wrote our reps and made our voices heard.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
This is how America works. When we are informed and act we can control the making of law. If we can shoot down this act with petitioning, imagine what else we can do!

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Probably not a hell of a lot, unfortunately. The bill was poorly made and being voted on by a lot of people who didn't actually understand the technical aspects of it, and it took hundreds of thousands of people screaming about it for them to decide to just table it. Most people are divided about other issues we'd want to see taken care of, and the politicians are probably a little bit more informed in other aspects outside of technology (I'd hope, anyway).

Still, at least this much was a triumph that will make sure ambitious lawyers don't go suit crazy over trivial incidents.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
PIPA is still there, and they only shelved SOPA indefinitely. (which could mean any number of things.) We're not out of the woods yet.

Rep:
Level 84
Rubber Shark
PIPA is set to vote on the 24th of January.  As for SOPA...  It doesn't want to be killed off.  http://judiciary.house.gov/news/01172012.html

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
PIPA is still there, and they only shelved SOPA indefinitely. (which could mean any number of things.) We're not out of the woods yet.

Definitely. I'm not so naiive as to think it won't resurface, but to see that voices were used and heard is comforting. For now, it's a victory for the people over the government- one I am convinced is the people's enemy.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I like what Wikipedia did to make more people aware of this, it's a bold move and it'll definitely have some people going "AAAHHH NOO MAKE IT STOP".
I just don't know why they had to do it just as I needed to research the Blue-Tongued Skink.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
you can press esc as it loads to stop it, or look at it on a mobile platform, or look at in a diffrent language and translate

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
"Do you knnow what they call the Blue-Tongued Skink in France?"
"No, what?"
"La Blue-Tongued Skink."

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
So. I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but has anyone considered the jobs that would be lost because of this? Google administrators, hell, even people on this site are being paid to make music or resources (although not full-time). I wanted to go to the U of A for computer science after graduating this year. I had a career plan set out. I was going to make an effort to be successful in life. And this would destroy that. If this passes, I could very well be wasting my time. I'm Canadian, but this would still affect me. I'm not blinded by my separation from the United States of America. If the internet is censored, I'm screwed. We're all screwed. :(

Rep:
Level 76
Shh, they're listening...
Those against SOPA now have Wikipedia and Google on their side.

Google alone is enough, but Wikipedia is down in protest(even if it is easily bypassed via noscript). That is a huge deal to a lot of people. Hopefully it will get more attention and more people will send word to congress.

I cannot see SOPA, or any of the slightly altered versions of the same bill, passing when some of the biggest sites are against it. Especially considering how small the group it would actually assist is. No one benefits from this but the RIAA and groups like it. They're just afraid that times are changing, their model is worn out and they refuse to adapt. Everyone else would be harmed if this passes, so don't give up your dreams just yet.

Participate in the petitions, take down any sites you own in protest. Share the news with everyone you can and get them to do the same.

We don't have to go anywhere or really do much to fight this. Just tell people. A lot of people likely have no idea what it is or why they should care.

Rep:
Level 94
The ESA is for SOPA...

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
And Google is against it. :mad:

This bill will not pass!