RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Can the existence of God(s) be proven or disproven Via religion or otherwise?

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
"Randomness vs. Creationism" is not a correct juxtaposition. That's like saying "Wallpaper vs. Carpeting". The two are not at odds.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
"Randomness vs. Creationism" is not a correct juxtaposition. That's like saying "Wallpaper vs. Carpeting". The two are not at odds.
Both take faith, considering we really don't have much evidence to support either. They're similar in that sense. Saying "randomness exists" is just like saying "God exists", while saying "neither randomness nor God are proven to exist" isn't like either, because it doesn't take faith.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I wasn't really arguing against the existence of God(s), I was just saying that people assuming something intelligent has to be behind something 'appearing intelligent' is ridiculous.  And I brought up random occurrence as one example of possible 'intelligent appearing' events, happening on their own without being set into motion by some 'intelligent being'.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I wasn't really arguing against the existence of God(s), I was just saying that people assuming something intelligent has to be behind something 'appearing intelligent' is ridiculous.  And I brought up random occurrence as one example of possible 'intelligent appearing' events, happening on their own without being set into motion by some 'intelligent being'.
I wouldn't have brought up randomness at all, as you don't even need randomness to explain gravity, the position of the earth or anything else. But it doesn't really matter.

Rep:
Level 75
Freezing Chaos.
The question is can a omni type being exist? Use humans for example. We were made in Gods image. God is supposed to have unlimited knowlage, most phycologists and scientists agree that the human brain can aquire and store unlimited amounts of knowlage. The only thing is that we will never live long enough for our brains to collect that knowlage. Can God be omni present? Yes, good old Albert Einstien proved that time is relevent. If a being of some sort can seperate itself from time than it can exist away from the boundries of time. Esencially that could make this being ageless, and also immortal, if you body or what have you is unaffected by time you could very well exist forever. Being all powerful doesnt have to be some magical explination, if you are all knowing than you esencially have the power to do anything. Religion and Science, when applied correctly with one another, can bring about theories and ideas that a person on either one side or the other could never come up with. Without the idea correctly applied to eachother, than you are simply doing nothing but limiting yourself to a universe that, quite frankly, has no limits.
I love you Lilith, I will never forget our short time together, nor will you ever be lost or forgotten. I promise to do my best and live the fullest to my abilities, for both my life and yours... sleep well...

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Meh, define God first. No one ever said that God was an omniscient being (I think, correct me if I'm wrong).

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Can the existence of God(s) be proven or disproven Via religion or otherwise?

No. Just saying. No debate from me. lol

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Suguni raku ni shite aru
God... A non-material being used to rule the manners of many civilizations... Whether you agree or not with God, you can't prove it's existance nor it's non-existance. Logic rules says "While it's not completely true, assume it's false", but if you assume God as false, you can't explain the things science still ignores using another way. Therefore, if you assume God as true, you can't explain why things are so different than these said by him, or his religion. It is a mere act of faith to believe, and since there's no certain proof of the existance of God, both arguments are valid. Most christian believers just use the Bible (other religions' believers just believe their God and don't complain about others') as the ultimate proof, but we're talking about a book, maybe writen by some other men. Science followers and scientist, of course, believe in the experiments and iterated results, so they have a better way of explaining and convincing people.

Summary: Believe what you want  ;D
"Un dios no hace nada, no dice nada, nisiquiera te pide nada a cambio. Solo se sienta y ve por nosotros, los tontos humanos perdidos."

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
God... A non-material being used to rule the manners of many civilizations... Whether you agree or not with God, you can't prove it's existance nor it's non-existance. Logic rules says "While it's not completely true, assume it's false", but if you assume God as false, you can't explain the things science still ignores using another way. Therefore, if you assume God as true, you can't explain why things are so different than these said by him, or his religion. It is a mere act of faith to believe, and since there's no certain proof of the existance of God, both arguments are valid. Most christian believers just use the Bible (other religions' believers just believe their God and don't complain about others') as the ultimate proof, but we're talking about a book, maybe writen by some other men. Science followers and scientist, of course, believe in the experiments and iterated results, so they have a better way of explaining and convincing people.

Summary: Believe what you want  ;D

Your theory is noted and rather correct. However, it seems that the topic of debate has switched to being about proof as to whether or not there is a god, and what constitutes "intelligent design", both factors being a major part of the initial question.

It has been stated by nearly everyone in the topic thus far that we cannot prove or disprove god, at least, not yet, and that we must believe whatever we wish. It has also been stated that if these beliefs lead to people with better values, than who cares if god exists, so long as the belief makes people better and more kind.

Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
So heres what I'm told in Grade 12 physics.

Life happens to be Several small Laws of the unvierse + several accidents.

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
Personally, i believe the thought process that a younger scientifically less intelligent humans saw things they could not begin to comprehend.

Lighting
The sun
The moon
Weather
Birth
human cycle

Thats why before each discovery in my own opinion the previous religions said the god created that.

Before we understood things such as the sun and moon and weather, there were gods that "Looked" after those, i mean the Egyptians and others had Sun gods, Moon gods ect.

And now, one of the main questions left is how and why the universe was created, and that is what science can not prove, and other religions are there to fill that void currently.

Today's Belief is tomorrow's fairy tale

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
*puts away the mop and broom*

Topic removed of spam and drama. Continue your religious argument, if there's any left.

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
RMRK Junior
I understand that this is a necro-post to a degree, but I do have something to say.

There's a reason science is filled with more "theories" than "laws"... Today's scientific laws could be disproven by new understandings of things in the future.

Indecision is still a decision, as you have decided not to decide.  As such, "non-belief" is still a belief.  Even atheists beliefs are based in faith.  Faith that there is nothing beyond this life because they see nothing beyond it, but faith nevertheless.

I've read this entire topic, and I note that almost all references to "god/gods" are based on judeo/christian philosophies (that includes muslim, btw).  There are other religions out there, and they have vastly different beliefs.

Regardless of belief, religion tends to give people direction in life.  It gives them the ability to press forward, and in modern times, to do so with the respect of others in mind.  My personal beliefs are a bit antiquated by some peoples mindsets, but I believe that there is a divine entity out there.  I believe it is part of all things, whether we perceive these things as living or not.  Yes my beliefs do fall under the category of animist, of pagan, of reincarnationist, but they are my beliefs, and as long as I believe them, they are true to me.

**Edited to remove what offended Holkami.  The rest was still more than just viable to the conversation.**
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:55:19 PM by Aviose »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I was into it until the "magic is real" bullshit. Let this topic die.

Rep: +0/-0Level 67
RMRK Junior
Can something prove that God exist ?
I don't think so, because by definition, God(s) would be something beyond us, unreachable by the human spirit (otherwise, it would something 'imaginable', and then, something 'finite', which is contradictory with god's definition).

To me, the existence of religions only prove that men need to think of something which give a meaning to their short lives : without god, nothing's forbidden, but nothing's meaningful either !
Writer / Game Designer for the Khelnia's Project !
Currently recruiting mappers on RPG Makers XP

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I would agree with you, but you necroposted.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
That doesn't take credibility away from his argument. Stop backseat moderating, it's really fucking annoying.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Besides that, Elitist Debate tends to not really need anti necroposting rules because generally new people are just commenting on an old discussion and it can easily revive the topic.

Anyway I'n ofthe opinion that no it can't be proven or disproven at this point. will we ever be able to knowfor sure, probably not.

Rep: +0/-0Level 66
The Fool on the Hill
Specific Gods such as the Christian Gods, greek gods, egyption gods etc can easily be disproven as they are portrayed by their religions.

However a god outside of religious texts cannot be disproved or proven. In the same sense you can't prove or disprove there is a ball of seal cum floating very close to the sun that doesn't burn up because it has super heat resistant powers.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Actually, we can prove that. By looking for it. But I do get your point; for all we know there is a ball of seal cum floating around the sun.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 69
I don't even see why existence of gods would make a difference. If they're real, they'd give you a life so you can do what you want with it. It's like when a country intervenes in another's revolution, it takes the fun out of it.

Rep: +0/-0Level 66
The Fool on the Hill
Well it depends which one is real, from the things I've read in the bible I really hope it's not the Christian one lol But yea, if there is a God, it almost definitely won't be any of the Gods man has written about imo

Rep:
Level 74
I'm baaack!
Homer Simpson disproved god!

But in all seriousness here are my thoughts.

I'm not a religous believer, as I don't see how a magical man in the sky or outer space can possibly exist. I do however believe Jesus existed and was crucified. I don't however believe he ever came back to life. I don't belive there is a god, but I do belive it will never be possible to prove or disprove that (s)he exists.