RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
This is a video game debate.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Alright. This is an elitist debate. I'd like to think it belongs here, and not video games. Actually, it probably does belong in video games. But still.

This begins with a story: My dad recently got a ps3. Now my opinion of the ps3 is summed up in this:

-No ps2 support. Boo!
-Well, square enix has left sony, and that's the only reason i ever really used the ps2.
-Anything good is cross-platformed.
-Only good game i can think of for the ps3 that isn't cross-platformed is Little Big Planet
-Any other decent games are relatively generic and forgettable
-And for all of that, it's like, $500 or maybe even more. I might have approved otherwise.

So i ask him, we already have a blu-ray player, and we can probably live without Little Big Planet, and what the fuck these games that you got, and that documentary too, they look like absolute shit(when it comes to entertainment), so WHY?!

And he tells me: Because the graphics are cool.

And then WE get into this gigantic debate about whether cool graphics outweigh gameplay value, and me being me i say FUCK NO because, well, what's the point of a game if it isn't any fun? And during this debate he told me things. Like, "I've actually bought games just because they look good." Yet again, my opinion: What is the point of wasting precious money (in large amounts, by the way. You all know how expensive games are, especially after a new console -_o) on graphics? If you want to see how pretty it all is, can't you go to the EB games and watch it there?

So, what do you think? Does a game's graphics outweigh any terrible gameplay?

Rep:
Level 88
Graphics do not equal a good game. Hell, lots of great looking games play like absolute crap. And because of that, they fail.

That's about all I have to say on that subject.

Side subject:
we can probably live without Little Big Planet
BLASPHEMY. Seriously, that is an excellent game. If you have a PS3, you're just hurting yourself for not getting it.

pokeball TDSOffline
Rep:
Level 84
-T D S-
Silver - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - Game In A Week VII
It pretty much all boils down to the person not the game itself when it comes to graphics vs game play debates, because after all a game is only as good as the person wants it to be.

Some people like pretty stuff while others prefer good game play in their games.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)
If this section were still titled Intelligent Debate, I would move it to Video Games, but I think this topic can fit into Elitist Debate.

Really though, you're on a forum for 2D Game Making Platforms ~ people who actually want to make games that look like they're from the 90s. Graphics aren't going to be a big issue for many, I wouldn't think.

My own opinion is essentially:

Bad graphics can't make a good game worse
Good graphics can't make a bad game better
Good graphics can make a good game better

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
What are you talking about? Most people in the RPG Maker community judge projects by the mapping.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Why does ff12 suck :mad: cause i didn't think it did.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
-No ps2 support. Boo!

do you mean PS1 support?
I thought you could play PS2 on it.

-Well, square enix has left sony, and that's the only reason i ever really used the ps2.

FFXIII is still hitting PS3 .-.

-Anything good is cross-platformed.

just about everything good nowadays is cross-platformed

-Only good game i can think of for the ps3 that isn't cross-platformed is Little Big Planet

Movie Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

-Any other decent games are relatively generic and forgettable

same for all the systems

-And for all of that, it's like, $500 or maybe even more. I might have approved otherwise.

your dad should have waited, it's gonna drop to $350.
also, I can prove that a PS3 costs less than a full Xbox 360 package.

And he tells me: Because the graphics are cool.

that's a terrible reason to buy a game or a system.  I agree wtih you.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
Why is there suddenly something wrong with a game being cross platform? Do you just NEED to have an exclusive?
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Why is there suddenly something wrong with a game being cross platform? Do you just NEED to have an exclusive?

yeah I don't understand that either.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)
What are you talking about? Most people in the RPG Maker community judge projects by the mapping.

Yeah, well mapping isn't about graphics so much as it is about arrangement. It has very little to do with how the resources look, it has to do with how they are used and it's technical critique, not so much graphical critique. Technically, yeah, that's graphics, but there's a pretty clear distinction between that and what is being referred to in this topic.

And as far as the cross-platform question goes, I think it does matter when choosing a console. Given a choice between systems A and B, where 10 good games are on both platforms, but A has only 5 exclusive good games while B has 20 exclusive good games, then I would choose B because it has 30 good games while A only has 15.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:49:25 AM by Modern Algebra »

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
Well I've got all consoles, and from what I can tell. Most PS3 games are geared towards the hardcore, modern, shoot and kill type gamers. And to those gamers, EVERYTHING is about graphics and framerate. All FPS games feel exactly the same, I haven't played an FPS game that felt unique and absolute fun since Perfect Dark.

I apparently own all the "best" games (except Valkyrie chronicles which i might pick up) in the entire PS3 library, and they consist of Metal gear solid 4, Resistance 2, and LBP. Everything else is multiplatform. PS3 fanboys inflate the quality of these games, and if they were in any other console they would just be "good".

I think sony's game plan was just a big failure, considering they took out the only good things on the new PS3s (I have an old one with PS2 support and 4 USB ports). I don't understand why they couldn't sell both versions of it. Anyways enough about the PS3.

In my opinion, do not ever rate a game based on graphics compared to other consoles.
Instead you should base it on how well the graphics are used in the given hardware. Then have a separate evaluation on gameplay, story, and sound. Graphics are important, presentation is key, but it isn't everything. It could be a great game, but if it has terrible graphics people still won't play it. Why? Because it looks terrible. Animations should be fluid, considering the hardware they're working on. If they have good graphics along with good gameplay, effort is definitely shown. As players, we have to treat gameplay and graphics as equal elements of a good game.

- -

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I think sony's game plan was just a big failure, considering they took out the only good things on the new PS3s (I have an old one with PS2 support and 4 USB ports). I don't understand why they couldn't sell both versions of it. Anyways enough about the PS3.

wait.
they removed PS2 support?
are they THAT retarded?

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Here comes Holk, to set you all straight.

PS3 has PS2 capability, but it depends on which model you bought.

The 80GB plays almost all PS2 games, but the 60GB and 20GB versions have the actual PS2 processor hardware in it. The 40GB is the only one that cannot play PS1 or PS2 games.

Now, as far as exclusives go, it may not seem like a big deal to have no exclusives, but it actually is. When a company chooses to make a system-exclusive, they make the game specifically for that system's hardware, exploiting all of the special things that said system can do. If every game is a cross-platform, that seriously limits what a developer can feature in their game.

So yes, system exclusives are important.

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
The 40GB is the only one that cannot play PS1 or PS2 games.
Actually the newest 2008, 80G and 160G models cannot play PS2 games on it as well. The also don't have any flash card readers, or SACD support. These models are in current production, and since kitkat got these new ones, she cannot play them. The only old model that did not play ps2/ps1 games were the 40G models from 2007. Which were designed to be the cheaper models.
They "price dropped" again in 2008, which is why they ruined the PS3.

- -

Chodemeister
Rep:
Level 84
Gameplay > Graphics
I am a sony fanboy, but I do admit that xbox 360 has more quality games than PS3 does right now.
And by the way, you forgot ratchet and clank and gran turismo
No, need for speed is not as good as gran turismo, nor is project gotham
Tahl died when I got my WoW account activated lol
And I lost my GoE 1 & 2 unecrypted data when my backup harddrive died after I reformatted...go figure
-GoE http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30050.0.html
-GoE2 http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30045.0.html

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
It's like they say, the real beauty is within. Just like in humans, we shouldn't measure everything with external beauty

Same with games, graphics aren't all.

And if you got it and are looking for a good game, try MGS4, Prince Of Persia or Burnout Paradise.
Though 2/3 of those are on the pc ;-;
Arlen is hot.

Chodemeister
Rep:
Level 84
Consoles and computers can't be compared
Computer's will always win
Let's keep it to consoles
Tahl died when I got my WoW account activated lol
And I lost my GoE 1 & 2 unecrypted data when my backup harddrive died after I reformatted...go figure
-GoE http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30050.0.html
-GoE2 http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30045.0.html

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

consoles are computers.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
The new Prince of Persia is not a good game. It's a good looking game, but it is not a good game.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
The game Retro Game Challenges is a good game. It has Atari graphics, and it's a really good game.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87

wait.
they removed PS2 support?
are they THAT retarded?
Yes, yes they are.

Well I've got all consoles, and from what I can tell. Most PS3 games are geared towards the hardcore, modern, shoot and kill type gamers. And to those gamers, EVERYTHING is about graphics and framerate. All FPS games feel exactly the same, I haven't played an FPS game that felt unique and absolute fun since Perfect Dark.

I apparently own all the "best" games (except Valkyrie chronicles which i might pick up) in the entire PS3 library, and they consist of Metal gear solid 4, Resistance 2, and LBP. Everything else is multiplatform. PS3 fanboys inflate the quality of these games, and if they were in any other console they would just be "good".

In my opinion, do not ever rate a game based on graphics compared to other consoles.
Instead you should base it on how well the graphics are used in the given hardware. Then have a separate evaluation on gameplay, story, and sound. Graphics are important, presentation is key, but it isn't everything. It could be a great game, but if it has terrible graphics people still won't play it. Why? Because it looks terrible. Animations should be fluid, considering the hardware they're working on. If they have good graphics along with good gameplay, effort is definitely shown. As players, we have to treat gameplay and graphics as equal elements of a good game.
:3

Here comes Holk, to set you all straight.

PS3 has PS2 capability, but it depends on which model you bought.

The 80GB plays almost all PS2 games, but the 60GB and 20GB versions have the actual PS2 processor hardware in it. The 40GB is the only one that cannot play PS1 or PS2 games.

Now, as far as exclusives go, it may not seem like a big deal to have no exclusives, but it actually is. When a company chooses to make a system-exclusive, they make the game specifically for that system's hardware, exploiting all of the special things that said system can do. If every game is a cross-platform, that seriously limits what a developer can feature in their game.

So yes, system exclusives are important.
HOLK SPEAKS TRUTH. Except for that Ps2 capability thing. That is no longer true, as stated before  ;9

Get out > : (

yeah I don't understand that either.
Alright, i just meant there is no reason to drop 500 dollars for a system when you can buy some of these games for platforms we already have.

It's like they say, the real beauty is within. Just like in humans, we shouldn't measure everything with external beauty

Same with games, graphics aren't all.
I love you ;__________;

The only reason i really don't like the ps3 is that i only ever play square-enix games for the whole playstation system really, and i'm angry because i can't play KHII or KHI for that matter. I have to go to my friends house to do such things. And now that we have a ps3, I can't do such things. Except for the ps1 capabilities. If that's even included still  ;9

I just want my final fantasy goddammit ;__________________________________________________;

EDIT: And i forgot Ratchet and Clank ;9. ;______________________________________________________________________;

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
The new Prince of Persia is not a good game. It's a good looking game, but it is not a good game.

I find it good but, everyone has their opinions.

Well, I deleted it because it lags and I need a better processor etc so, i'll know better when I get one =3
ilu2=3
Arlen is hot.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Alright, i just meant there is no reason to drop 500 dollars for a system when you can buy some of these games for platforms we already have.

exclusives are generally franchises, which I've found to totally wear out and die after an installment or two, so I don't really consider that much.

and I'd never drop $500 for a system, regardless of what is on it.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
I have an Xbox. Not a 360, and I feel it's fine. I've no desire for a better console really, the games are great on the Xbox, and the graphics aren't distracting.

I also have a PS1 sitting up in my room, and although the graphics on that suck by nowadays standards, back then they were almighty. In 10 years time the graphics on a PS3 will be massively outdated.

So basically, my opinion is, a memorable game is not based on graphics, but on story and gameplay. The graphics themselves will become outdated someday, so clearly are not all that important.*

*By my logic, graphics are unimportant because graphics keep improving. A bit of a logic bug there :P
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.