RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
WAR! WHAT IS GOOD FOR!

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
So. What's war good for? I don't mean any specific war, and I ask that no one says 'omg us is imperialisstic n shud pul out uf irak n afgani-w/e n afrika n al taht' or something like that. I mean war in general, what benefits has war brought us in human's history? Not just 20th century conflicts either, some of the earliest wars as well.
I'll see to it, with JH's help I'm sure, that we dispel the notions any of you may have (I'm sure somebody on this forum does) that war is inherently evil and should in some way be abolished, because it is a purely negative force in the world and hinders human progress and has in the past.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 09:06:15 PM by gonorrhoea »
Quote from: Elegy
It's fucking sad that you and the cat can't stick to the subject and even attempt to defend your little bullshit religion without jumping to personal attacks, maybe thats because evolution is such a stupid idea it's hard to back it up with any claims pertaining to reality.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female MemberLO !!f*ck u >:(^_________________^
Technological advances.

Also, imperialism is a good thing.

As long as it's American imperialism.
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
War helps to prevent economic collapse...

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
How about German imperialism? Led by a certain somebody we all know and love? The good days, they have passed. :(

But yeah, go on. I'll add that it cuts down the surplus population. :)
It's fucking sad that you and the cat can't stick to the subject and even attempt to defend your little bullshit religion without jumping to personal attacks, maybe thats because evolution is such a stupid idea it's hard to back it up with any claims pertaining to reality.

Rep:
Level 96
War is the stuff that unites countries!

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
Or divides them, depending on the war.

Rep:
Level 88
'They'
There is nothing good about war, other than it proves one thing: That we are a human race. It is within human nature to be forgiving, caring, and understanding, but also... naive, selfish, and cruel. I'm not saying about people specifically, but people in general. To say 'A World Without War' would be... the same as maybe saying 'A World Without Human Nature'. War is something that kills many and hurts millions, all for (usually) one goal, but it's good in that it proves we are human and we will continue to be human. (And that it can stop people from bombing and nuking eachother.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:34:18 PM by Zetsukomaru »
Who made up all the rules? We follow them like fools. Believe them to be true, don't care to think them through. And it's ironic too, 'cause what we tend to do is act on what they say, and then it is that way. Who are they? And where are they? And how can they possibly know all this? Do you see what I see? Why do we live like this? Is it because it's true that ignorance is bliss? And i'm sorry, so sorry, it's like this. I'm sorry, so sorry, I'm sorry, we do this.

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
I'm tempted to start a debate about the existence of human nature.
Also, assuming you are correct that war is good for showing us that we have some inherent nature of sorts, how is war good for absolutely nothing than that? How can you avoid the benefits already outlined?

In short, pseudo-philosophy ftw

Rep:
Level 96
Also, it gives a sort of kick-in-the-ass, by which I mean it forces progress.

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
Cutting down the population that's not needed.

Well are needed...but choose to die to make space for new population.

At least, that's my belief.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
It's not so much space as resources. Controlling population growth by distributing birth control, allowing abortion, etc. is good, as well, and war should never be waged for the purpose of cutting down the surplus population. That's just a side benefit no one wants to talk about.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
So. What's war good for? I don't mean any specific war, and I ask that no one says 'omg us is imperialisstic n shud pul out uf irak n afgani-w/e n afrika n al taht' or something like that. I mean war in general, what benefits has war brought us in human's history? Not just 20th century conflicts either, some of the earliest wars as well.
I'll see to it, with JH's help I'm sure, that we dispel the notions any of you may have (I'm sure somebody on this forum does) that war is inherently evil and should in some way be abolished, because it is a purely negative force in the world and hinders human progress and has in the past.
It has many uses. Until we are all controlled by a single nation, born of power and wielding it, there will ALWAYS be war. The United Nation is a joke and just a charade of unity, and when they said there would NEVER be another Hitler because of THEM, I laughed my ass off...

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
You know Hitler wasn't such a bad person...had a few screws loose and was so racist and what not that it was incredible...but rule all of that out, and he's your average "lets go conquer" kinda guy.

We've suffered worse....
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
Hitler was a saint.

Also, haha @ world government. You sincerely fucking believe that would work? It's hard enough keeping some countries the size of US states together, could you imagine uniting EVERY country?
Furthermore, civil and partisan war would be there anyways. Do you think that if the former were accomplished and the world came under a single government, that war would automagically vanish? That various peoples of the world wouldn't fight because it's all one happy world and we're all united? Do you think that guerillas, who fight for a plethora of reasons from religion to politics to secession, will also disappear?
I dislike utopian worldviews like this, it'll never come to pass.

Rep:
Level 96
Overall, I 100% approve of the concept of war, it's necessary for the planet's survival.  I just don't like being flat-out lied to about it. If you are going to kill someone, tell us the damn truth about it.

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
Let's go to war with China to bestow the blessings of war upon our people.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Hitler was a saint.

Also, haha @ world government. You sincerely fucking believe that would work? It's hard enough keeping some countries the size of US states together, could you imagine uniting EVERY country?
Furthermore, civil and partisan war would be there anyways. Do you think that if the former were accomplished and the world came under a single government, that war would automagically vanish? That various peoples of the world wouldn't fight because it's all one happy world and we're all united? Do you think that guerillas, who fight for a plethora of reasons from religion to politics to secession, will also disappear?
I dislike utopian worldviews like this, it'll never come to pass.
I haha @ your "never", that's a long time to make a statement for. Communism IS the perfect idea of society, it just is easily manipulated. With an UN-CORRUPT government that had COMPLETE control of the people, it would abolish WAR. There would still be terrorism, and rebels, but they would easily be crushed. It's not a matter of 'when' but how long it takes us to morally evolve.

Overall, I 100% approve of the concept of war, it's necessary for the planet's survival.  I just don't like being flat-out lied to about it. If you are going to kill someone, tell us the damn truth about it.
The 'truth'? Lol, yeh that'll happen... The Government lies about things of a certain nature to stop mass spread fear. Rightfully so too...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:35:11 AM by Deliciously_Saucy »

Rep:
Level 96
Which is understandable, but that doesn't mean it doesn't royally piss me off.

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
I haha @ your "never", that's a long time to make a statement for. Communism IS the perfect idea off society, it just is easily manipulated. With an UN-CORRUPT government that had COMPLETE control of the people, it would abolish WAR. There would still be terrorism, and rebels, but they would easily be crushed. It's not a matter of 'when' but how long it takes us to morally evolve.
I haha @ your idiocy. We don't need to get into a debate about Communism here, it's not the place for it, but assuming it was an ideal government there will never be an uncorrupt government. At least, not run by humans. Furthermore, 'morally evolve'?

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Furthermore, 'morally evolve'?
Last time I checked, humans are pretty damned immoral...

I never said it had to be run by people.

Adolf Christ
Rep:
Level 88
Is this the Second Coming, or the Fourth Reich?
I haha @ your "never", that's a long time to make a statement for. Communism IS the perfect idea of society, it just is easily manipulated. With an UN-CORRUPT government that had COMPLETE control of the people, it would abolish WAR. There would still be terrorism, and rebels, but they would easily be crushed. It's not a matter of 'when' but how long it takes us to morally evolve.

I suppose if you blanked everyone's mind and figured out a way to suppress certain tendencies like the one towards violence you could have a perfectly harmonious Communist society, but it would also be stagnant and uncreative. Competition encourages people to excel. Also, I don't think that a government that had complete control over its people is in any way "perfect". And I don't understand where you get the idea that terrorists and rebels would be easily crushed. Big army != good army. The invasion of Afghanistan proved that.

HELLS YEAH
Rep:
Level 88
DS, morality doesn't exist.

Rep:
Level 88
*zombies around*
Indeed and what pray tell would we be run by to prevent war and situate the utopian era? A Machine? Surely with our technology so far, we can not manage to do this. A government by a machine. Inpartial, and inmoral. Not immoral. I do not believe that a machine could have any morals. Humans are too complex for something like that. I agree with Jesus Hitler. (If I was still religious btw I probably would have flammed you so bad. I dunno I just thought you should know.  ;8 Hehe, I'm so glad that I'm not a mindless flock member any longer.) But morailty does exist Gonorrhoea. It's kind of linked to mortality I think... but I could be wrong.

Anyway : War is useless. I really don't have much to add to it however, but it seems that the war has turned to a governmental edge. I don't like this 'War on Terror' Bush is only doing it because his Daddy couldn't do it when he was in office; really, his dad wanted to go to Iraq so that he could get the leader and overthrow him. The war on terror is a complete hoax. D< If he just stuck with the facts instead of galloping off in like practially the wrong direction... Oh well. Our elections are based quite nearly soully upon who was the richest person to stake up claims to run for president. Its not about having the wise-ist brain in your head, just enough to be a great talker up at the thing, er podium. (Brain fart, sorry. xD )

Kay dice me up as you please!  ;)

Snailer <3

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
DS, morality doesn't exist.
We've been over this. It exists as a cultural perception. :police:

As to all you Anti commies, I assume your American? Do you know how much negative propaganda was released about communism? The US was brainwashed.

Surely with our technology so far, we can not manage to do this.
My idea of unity isn't for now, it would be in hundreds if not thousands of years.

Rep:
Level 88
*zombies around*
I know how that is. I would asume so, there is always propaganda. I am American. Sometimes I'm proud of it, and sometimes not. I don't care either way how a government is run only as long as the people are happy, content, cared for. Least... the majority anyhow. We know that total happiness can't be achieved yet. A good point about the morality too DS. It is based upon cultural perceptions, so it could possibly be moral to sacrifice people. If you come from a culture that does so. Of course those are, all nearly dead cultures.

Snailer <3