RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Workin, workin' working out

Rep:
Level 41
Bronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer
Sooo I started working out today.

What I have on my plan so far that I did:

•     5 reps/sets of 10 barbell lifts
  •      10 side-lifts (where you lift with both arms upward, starting at the hips; don't really know the technical term, and I can't do that many due to my weight and arm strength, so I'm accommodating for now)
  •    40 pull-ups w/ my Total Gym XLS
  •      15 push-ups and 25 sit-ups
  •     25 jumping jacks
  •     jogging around my block once, (it's pretty wide, so I got plenty of distance in)

Probably isn't much right now, but I managed to squeeze it into about 45 minutes. This is just the first day, of course, so the amounts are going to increase as I keep going, since I'm doing it daily. I'm also planning on doing all this twice a day just for those extra burnt calories, so I'll really shoot up to an hour and a half. I'll probably vary each session by time each day so the amounts aren't exact and I can examine how much I can handle during both. I feel pretty good about what I'm doing overall!

I looked for a fitness thread first before posting this, of course; all I could really find was Aco's Fitness of the Month thread, so I wasn't really sure if this would fit or not given the schedule for that thread. If there's a thread specifically for this kind of stuff that I somehow missed, feel free to point it my way and close this and whatnot.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
That second exercise is called a front lift.

I see a lot of stuff you could be doing better, although doing SOMETHING is better than nothing at all and will still bear fruit.
Spoiler for:
Your workout seems to be top-heavy; in other words, it works your upper body more than your lower body. Additionally, ther should be a balance between push and pull for a given muscle group. For example, if you do 20 barbell curls (biceps) you ought to also do 20 pull-ups (triceps)- although even then there's a better way.

Are you going for bulk or tone? That is, strength or fat burning? It's highly difficult to do both. Getting a clear idea will help you design a better plan.

Without knowing your height, weight, and max lifts, I think you run the risk of under-exercising or over-exercising. I could be wrong.

If you want, I can help you design a routine that is both short and effective. Free. I don't sell anything. However, as I said, I'll need some information from you.

Congratulations on taking control of your fitness, brother!

:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 41
Aaaah, yeah, thanks for pointing out the correct term. Thinking about what the hell it was called was killing me, lol.

And yeah, like I said, the time spent on each exercise isn't anything special at all right now, since this is the first day and I want to start off simplistic, so I just gotta keep on truckin' and I'll go up to 50 sit-ups/push-ups and longer sets of reps and whatnot. Every little bit helps, of course.

And to answer your questions;

Your workout seems to be top-heavy; in other words, it works your upper body more than your lower body. Additionally, ther should be a balance between push and pull for a given muscle group. For example, if you do 20 barbell curls (biceps) you ought to also do 20 pull-ups (triceps)- although even then there's a better way.

Yeah, for now I'm sticking with upper-body, since although my arms are decently toned, my general muscle mass up top has drastically dropped from last year after I stopped working out back in September, and I can barely feel said mass on my biceps/triceps now. I'm not COMPLETELY ignoring my lower body, granted, since I'm going to find out other ways to work it in addition to my upper body soon, though my legs are probably the part I need to worry about the least, since I can still lift 700+ pounds with them with ease even though I stopped my routine last year (I tested them out a while back), though for all I know, my natural leg strength still could have lessened. My endurance is also shit, so that's why I gotta keep my routine consistent so I don't burn out after under an hour.

Are you going for bulk or tone? That is, strength or fat burning? It's highly difficult to do both. Getting a clear idea will help you design a better plan.

Tone, for now. I AM sort of trying to balance both, since even if I focus on cardio to get my weight down, since my natural strength has yet to COMPLETELY dissipate, if I just keep frequency in check, both will improve, even if one area is focused on more than the other. I want to get down to at least 190-200 (or just get rid of my gut, either works) before I go all-out on strength, though, so yeah.

Without knowing your height, weight, and max lifts, I think you run the risk of under-exercising or over-exercising. I could be wrong.

6'1 and 250 lbs. I can lift up to 300-400 with my shoulders, and can carry around 60 or so using a single arm. I can lift up to 50, though just barely, so I'm staying at 25 for now until my arms adapt to higher weights. And don't worry about me going under or over the typical stress level associated with this stuff; a big part of this is making sure you don't feel like you're going to die after you're done, so lol; pushing just a bit is perfectly acceptable so you can increase your limits, but overdoing things is a gigantic no-no, since it'll ultimately defeat the purpose of sessions in the long-run and you'll probably even fuck up a bone or too. Still, though, I'm doing my best to perform up to standard and what's expected of my size.

If you want, I can help you design a routine that is both short and effective. Free. I don't sell anything. However, as I said, I'll need some information from you.

Nah, I think I have it covered for now. If I see no legitimate or noticeable progress in the next month or too, of course, I'll get back to you on that and we can see what can be done.

And yeah, I really wanted to get back on track with keeping my body in check, but I can't stand working out in the cold, soooo... better to start now when it's at an even temperature than waiting until summer and overheating myself with no concept or clear schedule. Thanks for the congrats and the previous offer, btw!

As far as food goes, I'm going to make sure there's only a bit of fat here and there, and I've completely eliminated snacking; only the 3 core meals are allowed, and that's it. I had a small burger with a little handful of tater tots and some water just now, and I'm probably not gonna eat anything else, since that was my dinner, of course.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:07:28 PM by zacheatscrackers »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Kewl beans. I  werk owt  4 times a week, myself- I'm 6' even and currently weigh 260. My max lat pull is 300 and my max military press is 170. I just reworked my strength routine, which is doing me good, although soon bulk season will be over. * sad face *

Anyhow, I'd be more than happy to discuss if you like. For now, though, keep up the commitment! I applaud you for your initiative!
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 41
Yuppers.

Since I'm doing this on a daily basis (weekdays AND weekends), I'll do my best to stay within the athletic and cardiovascular standards. Once I reach my goal (190-200 lb/no gut and better endurance/strength), I'll cool down a bit, but I'll still try to keep a consistency with my plan, if just less pronounced. I won't rule out breaks by any means if the situation calls for it, but yeah.

My max military press is actually around 200, last I checked, so we're fairly close. Surprising!

Rep:
Level 41
Alright, so I weighed myself a while ago and found that I'm down to about 238 lb (might be a pound or two off), meaning I've lost 12 pounds thus far.

I've done my best to keep my routine straight, increasing portions like jumping jacks and sit-ups by about 10 increments or so every couple weeks and have mostly just ate the required three meals each day with an occasional small snack every few days to reward myself when I do something particularly physically stressful. All in all, I'd say I've made a decent amount of progress! Of course, I'm going to keep at it for a while, since I feel like I'm far from done and I don't just want to go back to 250 and make this whole process pointless.