RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Screenshot Thread

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
ERRYTHING YOU DO IS GORGEOUS ARRGH I WISH I COULD HELP YOU OUT WITH YOUR SCRIPTS ;9
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Dayum joy, Nicely done :)

Rep:
Level 69
I wanted to update Little Girl That Could intro with the upgraded graphics... So I did.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNwj88zEPo4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNwj88zEPo4</a>

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
Awesome as always, joy. I like the shadow effect for the stairs.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
well, DrbigT, I gotta say, there is a lot of stuff I don't like about your design choices...

You seem to have a mixture of basic sprites (modern day set), sketches (a common, acceptable choice) and here's where you lose me, the image you used for the background about 4 minutes into the last video which just doesn't come close to meshing with either making the whole experience pretty jarring.

It's actually the same problem I saw in your first video with Greed's writing, there are these orbs (which, looking back I can tell are eyeballs) and bits of flesh, I assume, falling down, but for the life of me, they are too blurry to determine what they are, they're right in your face and they're just ugly. Not in a way that makes them scary, they're just... ugly. It's the kinda thing that it seems like you have great ideas of what you want, but no one with enough graphics know-how to get you started.

It seems like, however, if you were to replace some of that kinda stuff with sprites, you would have a much nicer looking image... Something that didn't seem so... pasted together.
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 69
well, DrbigT, I gotta say, there is a lot of stuff I don't like about your design choices...

You seem to have a mixture of basic sprites (modern day set), sketches (a common, acceptable choice) and here's where you lose me, the image you used for the background about 4 minutes into the last video which just doesn't come close to meshing with either making the whole experience pretty jarring.

It's actually the same problem I saw in your first video with Greed's writing, there are these orbs (which, looking back I can tell are eyeballs) and bits of flesh, I assume, falling down, but for the life of me, they are too blurry to determine what they are, they're right in your face and they're just ugly. Not in a way that makes them scary, they're just... ugly. It's the kinda thing that it seems like you have great ideas of what you want, but no one with enough graphics know-how to get you started.

It seems like, however, if you were to replace some of that kinda stuff with sprites, you would have a much nicer looking image... Something that didn't seem so... pasted together.

I agree with you 100% on all accoards.  Btw, I removed the eyeballs already and gonna replace with something better, like drops of blood to make a bloody rain. I'll probably have my artist draw the background of the guts and gore to look more along the rest of the pictures, sketchy and such. (A choice made not because I can't remove sketchyness (I -totally- could)  but because I want them to look sketchy just like the comics, behold www.givemebeer.tk/goth.jpg  It is not a decision made because I am not able to or can't, it's because I feel it adds to making it more like the original comics. I even though to go as far as have most backgrounds be pure black with just minor details of white but decided against that because I do not know how to pull that off) I agree that if everything else is sketchy, something so clean looks off. I just have lots of placeholders until I can do better things.  :blizj:

Sadly I am not much of a sprite artist. If I'd find a good spriter I'd be willing to even hire them with real money if they'd be good and could help build the game. I have the story and music and all sorts of things to do it good, it really sucks that visual department is even after all these years so weak for me. :-\
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:56:02 AM by Drbigt »

Rep:
Level 83
Look at me, runnin' and all
Project of the Month winner for August 2009
Got some maps for a small RMXP project. Here's one - any suggestions?

- 

<3
Rep:
Level 83
I am the love in your heart. <3
Nice map, Japur. I mean, really nice. I like its atmosphere and how everything is blending together. The red part of the tomb (?) seems to stand out a little, but overall, it's pretty. ^^

Here is a map of mine. Took me quite some time but I finally got it done:

Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 83
Look at me, runnin' and all
Project of the Month winner for August 2009
Oh wow, that is amazing. That's a real village where everything seems to blend well. Love your slide and other tools! Some tips:

- I'd put a sand ground beneath the graves, as they have piles of sand/earth as well. The grass beneath the graves seems off.
- The little boxes for the chickens look weird, like, really flat. Also, if the chickens decide to go for a walk they will a) die or b) walk through the entire village. If you'd put them up a couple of spots, they would be facing the closed area. :)
- Little mistake in your tileset, with the fence and the vines on the fence (in the south).
- Little mistake with your stairs in the north-center, it misses a bottom.
- What's that bull doin- never mind.

Great composition!
  - 

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
Shots from one of my two projects.
Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
I've been trying parralaxing , this is my first attempt ^^
WIP
Spoiler for:
[spoiler/]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 12:48:17 AM by Mitsarugi »

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
It's pretty good for a first attempt. The water looks a bit strange, though. The bottom cliff could use some detail, too.

Rep:
Level 81
Monster Hunter
It's pretty good for a first attempt. The water looks a bit strange, though. The bottom cliff could use some detail, too.
it's a WIP ^^ it's written on top of my screenie ;)

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Well gee you posted a screenshot in a thread where people give feedback on screenshots.

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
Still a work in progress. Feedback is appreciated.
Spoiler for VILLAGE:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:59:55 PM by Strak »

Gods ain't gonna help ya son...

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
Other than the blockiness that comes with that tileset, there are a few things I noticed that need improvement breaking down into three segments:

Spoiler for SHADOWS:
with your map set, there is a small shadow that is applied in the auto-tile, it is used to make a shadow next to a wall, giving the appearance that there is sunlight coming from the left of the screen, casting the rest in shadow.

However, it is not something that can be relied on to always look nice, because, as you can see, it only puts the shadow to the right of the wall. What needs to be done is, on page 2 or 3, there is a small section where you can find shadows (there is a full square and two half squares for different types of shadows). If you go there, grab the matching shadow and place it above the auto-tiled shadows, you will get a more pleasing effect that makes the shadows seem more real.

Spoiler for TREES:
Trees are all well and good, in fact, you can't really have much of a natural map without them, otherwise it looks too sparse and barren. Sometimes, even so little as lining your town with trees adds something special to the scene.

However, you will notice that your trees sit right next to the edge of your cliff faces at times. and they are often in a rigid rectangular or trapezoidal shape. I would suggest breaking up these shapes a bit to make them seem more natural (as it appears this community was mostly concerned with working WITH the environment rather than against it, I would say it would be unlikely that the trees were planted by the townspeople), but more might need to be done. I may be the only one who feels this way, but I feel as thought having the trees so close to the edge of the edge seems unnatural, especially since the base of the tree stops literally RIGHT BEFORE the edge of the cliff, meaning you would have a bunch of roots sticking out of the cliffside.

Oh, and another reason that is bad is on the right, above the item shop, the tree in the corner makes the wall look like it has no top, in fact...  now that I look at it...

Spoiler for CLIFF FACES:
It might just be a trick of the eyes, but for some reason, it seems like this town is comprised of several pieces of faux rock situated one after the other, rather than a tier-based structure. That is, it looks like each of these walls is paper thin and if you were to go into the inn, you would run into a bunch of trees. I don't know if this is common for this tileset or not, so i can't say whether or not this should count as an error...

However, I DO believe that the cliffs seem too... unnatural. It looks like you tried to make it be a bit more wild, but the majority of the "randomness" seems to be that you started with a flat wall and just moved one section up or down so that it had a wavy sort of appearance. Two ways to fix this would be to A. make bigger bulges in the center areas of the town in order to make a more natural look, perhaps two or even three spaces difference (blended of course, not just huge jutt-outs) or B. make the town be basin-shaped, leaving the interior the same while making the edges fan out, like this /town\ making it appear as the town had been carved, tier by tier, into the walls, rather than simply existing that way. Each of those, however, require a bit of reworking to make look nice.

As for the concept of the map? I love it. When I watched the Time Machine for the first time and saw that huge settlement that was carved into the stone mountainside, I've always loved the idea of that kind of construction. Your setup is very nice, although, if they were dug into dirt (as I am assuming this is), having a river run right through the center would mean that all of those houses would be either constantly flooding or about to collapse.
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
I appreciate the feedback. The concept of the village was "Let's adapt ourselves to nature," not "Let's build massive structures that make an explosive ecological footprint."

Gods ain't gonna help ya son...

Rep:
Level 58
in training
You guys are amazing! I'm almost embarrassed to post my town here. This is the residential district of Rosebrooke.

I've also done the first house in the game. Kind of hard to show in screen shots as, in order to break down how big and sparse it looked, I shaded out the rooms you're not currently in.

How's it look? It's my first attempt so be gentle... but honest :)

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Turn off the grid!!!

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
With a little sprucing up, that town could look very nice. As of now it's pretty empty. I also noticed a few tiling issues, particularly with the cliffs on the bottom right and the two-story building near them. Just some things I noticed.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Couldn't you have just made all of those rooms separate maps? :o

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
Waste of maps. Heck, if you're not labelling floors or using resets then keep all parts of a dungen in the same map (provided they have the same music, tileset etc.)

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
But unless he's "shading them out" with events, they're all separate maps anyway. He just kept the parts he didn't want to be shown there.

Also, last time I checked there was a 999 map cap, which is a ton of maps. I think he'll be fine.

Rep:
Level 58
in training
@Ryosis - Thanks. I thought the same thing. Not sure whether I'll use fencing/gardens in front of the houses to add a bit of clutter or just move them closer together. Anything you guys would recommend?

Regarding the cliffs I had noticed they were a bit "wierd". They're just tiles I grabbed from google. I plan to replace them with proper smart tiles for the end result.

@Acolyte - They are separate maps - I just put them together in the animated gif so you could see them as one

@Wiimeiser - What do you mean by labelling floors and using resets? I'm a real noob. Is there another way to achieve what I'm after?

@Acolyte - by the end of the game I'm expecting I'll be pretty close to 999 maps :( Might have to consider that as, if I do this for every house, it's gonna eat up that map limit.

TBH I'm thinking about doing a complete overhaul on that first house. Maybe try and build a tileset that makes it look more "normal". Feels too big at the moment and I had to shade and put tons of stuff in the rooms just to make them feel less "large".

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good to have it and, as always, good to fix these things at the start of a project rather than the end ;)

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
If you put the separate rooms in a large map and put them far enough away from each other, you could have the rooms separated without using separate maps.

Like so. Make them far enough apart that the player can't see the other rooms from another room.