RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Request] Throwing skill

Rep:
Level 84
Throwing skill
June/2/1010

Summary
I would like a throwing skill which lets the user select any item in his/her inventory and throw it at the enemy for RPG Maker VX.
The damage dealt by the thrown item should be a combination of both the damage dealt by the skill it self and any damage dealt by the item, which could be set with a tag in the item's note box.
The script should also let the user designate which items can be thrown or not.
Also the throw skill should have it's own animation played even if the item being thrown has it's own battle animation.
One more thing, this script should be compatible with Modern Algebra's Grid Inventory script, so that the actor using the the throwing skill can only throw items from his/her inventory.

Features Desired
  • Compatibility with Modern Algebra's Grid Inventory script
  • Damage dealt by the thrown item will be determined by set number on the item in a tag in the note box
  • Throwing skill battle animation should be played instead of the item animation if any.

Mockups
Can't really think of anything really...

Games its been in
  • Final Fantasy 7

Did you search?
Yes

Where did you search?
  • RMRK forums
  • HBGames forums
  • RPG Revolution forums
  • RMVXP Forums

What did you search for?
  • Throwing skill
  • Throw skill
  • Throw

Rep:
Level 84

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
So all you want is the ability to set items as being throwable and set a particular amount of added damage through the note box?

Rep:
Level 84
Precisely.
But I also need the actual skill to look for the throwable Item in the actor's own Inventory through ur Grid inventory script.
I had a problem with that in Yanfly's script which is why I'm asking for this...

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
If Yanfly has a script that does it, then could you link me to it - it'd probably be a lot easier to write a patch to make the grid inventory compatible with that then to write an entirely new script.

Rep:
Level 84
Okay sure, I'll try and find it!

Rep:
Level 84
Sorry for the double post and the delay...
It was hard trying to get this on here since it's such a big script.

Anyways I put it all in a text file and uploaded it through 4Shared, I hope that's fine. The reason why I did it this way is because the site where I got it originally has a broken link which takes you to the script...

Here's the link:
Yanfly script.txt

Edit:
I also added it as a attachment!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 04:02:38 AM by Zero2008 »

Rep:
Level 84

Rep:
Level 97
Here, try this:

Code: [Select]
#==============================================================================
#    Grid Inventory & YERD Custom Skill Effects: Throw
#      Compatibility Patch
#    Version: 1.0
#    Author: modern algebra (rmrk.net)
#    Date: June 20, 2010
#++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
#  Instructions:
#
#    Paste this patch below YERD CSE in the Script Editor, but still above Main
# ** Window_Throw
#  Summary of Changes:
#    aliased method - include?

class Window_Throw
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  # * Include?
  alias modrb_csegi_ptch_incl_7uj2 include?
  def include? (item, *args)
    # If inventory set, exclude items not in inventory
    if !@ma_inventory.nil?
      @ma_item_list, @ma_item_amounts = @ma_inventory.item_list if @ma_item_list == nil
      return false unless @ma_item_list.include? (item)
    end
    # Run Original Method
    return modrb_csegi_ptch_incl_7uj2 (item, *args)
  end
end

# ** Scene_Battle
#  Summary of Changes:
#    aliased method - create_throw_windows

class Scene_Battle
  # * Create Throw Window
  alias malg_githrw_crtthrwin_6yy2 create_throw_windows
  def create_throw_windows (*args)
    # Run Original Method
    malg_githrw_crtthrwin_6yy2 (*args)
    @throw_window.ma_inventory = @active_battler.inventory
    @throw_window.refresh
  end
end

No guarantees since I didn't want to learn how to configure the YERD script just to test it out, but I think it should work.

Rep:
Level 84
Wow M.A. Once again you are a GOD of scripting LOL
It works just fine but there are one or two minor problems with the script still.

If the player throws an item that doesn't heal or deal damage, you will never be able to use the throwing skill again, even if you go into a different battle.

And the other is that when the player uses the Throw skill during battle the message box just says that the player is using the Item being thrown and plays the animation of the thrown item instead of it saying that the player is throwing the item (Not using it...) and play the Throw skill battle animation.
For example:
The players uses the Throw skill with Ralph and selects to throw a mushroom...

Battle Message:
- Ralph uses Mushroom.
*Play mushroom eating animation over Slime enemy*
-Slime took 60 Damage!

What I'd like it to do is play the animation that is assigned to the Throwing skill (Instead of the battle animation assigned to the item...) and give a message that the player threw the item, not that he/she used it.

Rep:
Level 97
OK, are those problems inherent to the Custom Skill Effects, or do they only occur when using Grid Inventory?

Rep:
Level 84
I believe they are inherent in the Yanfly CBS script yes.

Rep:
Level 84

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
He can't do much if the problem is with Yan's CBS.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 84
Well the problem with the Text and battle animation are the only ones that appear with Yanfly's CBS script.
The other one that the skill messes up when throwing an Item that doesn't deal or heal damage only happens when combining both scripts...