RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[REQUEST] Skill w/ Random Effect

Rep: +0/-0Level 66
RMRK Junior
In FF V, the Archer job had the skill "Animals."
When used, it would call a random animal for an effect;
i.e. swarm of bees for damage, nightingale for hp recovery, a flying squirrel stunned enemies.

So, basically, I'm looking for something similar, a skill that when used is replaced with another skill, chosen at random from a set specified by the game maker.

I don't suppose this is too difficult, but I'm having trouble learning ruby and I haven't seen a script with this effect floating around anywhere...

(for scripters interested in working on this, here's a little feature I don't need, but could be added to make this a little more challenging for you: how about skills in the specified set that can't be chosen until the actor is a certain level?)

Thanks in advance.

Rep:
Level 67
Eternal Newbie
This is for RM2k3, but the same principles can probably be applied to VX. It's all done through eventing, so you don't need scripts

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,43119.0.html

Rep: +0/-0Level 66
RMRK Junior
This is for RM2k3, but the same principles can probably be applied to VX. It's all done through eventing, so you don't need scripts

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,43119.0.html

Before I made the post, I did try something similar, a skill with a Common Event that made a random variable, and then used that variable to choose one of several Forced Actions in battle (I didn't see another way to do it in VX, after looking this over I'll try again).

The problem is that the results seemed sloppy in the game (the actor did a skill that did absolutely nothing, and then performed another skill), and what's more, the Force Action function doesn't seem to be able to force the currently active/just previously acted Actor to do something, you have to choose a specific Actor's #.

Which means I either need to live with any actor who uses the skill to then cause Actor 1 to do the 'work,' or I need to make multiple versions of the Random Skill for each Actor...

...I'll try looking again to see if I missed something that would help me do it differently...