RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Game Titles: All like this

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?
Why is it that so many projects out there have their names like Something something: the something something adventure or something like that?

i could understand if you were many a sequel to an existing game, you would want people to know that it belongs to that series so u would use series title: game title.  but most of these games are the first of what may not even be a series, so is it really necessary to have these titles?  just curious.
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

Rep:
Level 88
6 Bagels
Alot of times there are plans to do other parts in a series of games after the first, so this formatting winds up being used. Other times it's often just a subtitle to add effect, but instead of properly formatting the title:

Tower of Darkness
Tales of another age

they use a semicolon to seperate it:

Tower of Darkness: Tales of another age

which, while being grammatically correct, is often not the best way to format a subtitled game title.

That's my semi-long-winded explanation, maybe somebody else has some other insight?

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Guns don't kill people. Magic missiles do.
My first-ever RPG Maker game was titled Futaiten.  Then I decided to make a prequel, and titled it Futaiten: Book of Days, because Futaiten 2 would have been boring and stupid.

Rep:
Level 89
i said i understood sequels, but why name the first game something like that?

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
So people think they're cool.  I don't know.  I didn't do that.  It's a good question.

Rep:
Level 88
6 Bagels
i said i understood sequels, but why name the first game something like that?
As I stated above, it's not always that there will be sequels, but that there may be plans for other parts in a series, which could include parallel games. Not all plans fall through, but it's reason enough for the title. Also, again, sometimes it's just a subtitle to add effect.

Example: Harry Potter. The author planned on writing more than one book, so she gave the first one a subtitle as well, instead of just going "Harry Potter", "Harry Potter 2", etc.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Legend of Dragoon 2 - The unseen Profacy?

thats fine right..?
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 89

thats fine right..?

i never said there was anything wrong with it but i was just curious about why people did it.

Rep:
Level 88
6 Bagels

thats fine right..?
A sequal, so I see no problem with it even in relation to the original post.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Prequel and sequels are fine, but I think it's also a cool idea to make two games play in the same / nearly same period of time.
Like in the first part you have "the years" 1480~1482, while in the second you have 1477~1481. Also in the first part you meet characters from the second part and in the second you meet characters from the first part.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Isn't that what kind of the definition of a sequel/prequel, Blizz?

Rep:
Level 88
6 Bagels
Not entirely. I think he meant something that more overlaps with eachother. i.e. Game 1, Years 1354-1358. Game 2, Years 1356-1360.

|----Game 1----|
           |----Game 2----|

Something like that.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Not entirely. I think he meant something that more overlaps with eachother. i.e. Game 1, Years 1354-1358. Game 2, Years 1356-1360.

|----Game 1----|
           |----Game 2----|

Something like that.

Exactly. Or like in my example:

|----Game 1----|
|---------Game 2---------|
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 02:49:00 PM by Blizzard »
Visit our website.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Or like in chrono trigger/cross

|----------------------------------------------game one--------------------------------------------------|
                                                     |2|- (game two)
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
You obviously missed the point. You don't play the entire 65 million years in CT. ::)
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
6 Bagels
You obviously missed the point. You don't play the entire 65 million years in CT. ::)
That depends on how bad you are at the game. ;)

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
No, you just don't play the entire 65 millions years through. You travel through time, yes, but you don't play 65 million years through.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
6 Bagels
No, you just don't play the entire 65 millions years through. You travel through time, yes, but you don't play 65 million years through.
I was trying to make a crack at the fact that some people are so bad at the game, it takes them about 65 million years to complete it anyways. :P

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Oh LOL! Now I get it! xD
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
6 Bagels
Oh LOL! Now I get it! xD
Somebody's a little sssssslllllllloooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww........... ;D

Rep:
Level 90
Say it with me, 16 year old alcoholic.
My game title is
  Silent Dynasty
Death Nightmare

i made the title with the secondary title because its the first game out of 6. so yeah

Owner of ChaosDreamz© Productions.
Progress of:
Silent Dynasty©-Death Nightmare       
Storyline:  |||||||||| [62%]
Mapping:    |||||||||| [3%]
Scripting:  |||||||||| [1%]
Database:   |||||||||| [1%]
Audio:      |||||||||| [1%]
Overall:    ||||||||||[3%]
Demo:    ||||||||||[75%]

Rep:
Level 89
good luck putting out 6 games, most people don't finish their first

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
I completely: agree
Jonathan Sodalis www.sodalisrpg.com
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
        -from "The Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan