RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RMVX Engine Question

Rep:
Level 81
Hello everyone,
I'm not too sure whether this belongs here or not, but I have a question regarding the RMVX Engine. As many are you are already probably familiar with the RPG Maker 2000, 2003 and XP engines, they all have a "select" feature where you can select specific portions of your map, cut, copy and paste the tiles. I'm wondering how this is done in VX. I need to move some of my maps tiles around.

Thanks for your help.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
I believe that that feature isn't available in VX. Sorry. ;-;

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Yeah ya can. I don't know where it's located or in the programming or anything, but when painting on the map, you just right click and drag to highlight a portion of the map (and copy it) and then left click to pasted that section anywhere. You're asking about the engine, so that's why I'm assuming you're trying to program something around it? Idk, but you can copy/paste sections of your map. Just make sure you're using the pencil tool when you highlight and paste. I think any of the others just fill in the upper-right most tile if you do that and don't paint properly.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
I think he means more the selection feature in RMXP, where you could copy a particular section to a clipboard and paste it even in another game. The way you described is probably a good enough substitute, just not exactly what he means.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
ohhh, too another game?! idk i haven't tried lol

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
The only thing I can think to do would be to import data pertaining to the map into the new folder... That is, if you want to move a map from project A to project B, open both of their folders, and go into the data subfolder.

From there, choose the map number of the map you wish to move, and copy it to the other game. However, this may not work, and only works in theory until proven otherwise.
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
You could move the map data, but it wouldn't include the event data and things like that, which sometimes is a problem - or it would be for me. I tend to use events as another layer for my maps and add animated bits on maps. Also, it would overwrite all the maps you have in the project you're importing them into.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
not neccesarily...

If you make some dummy maps, to make the number of your maps higher (say, i fyou have 4 maps on project A and 3 maps on Project B), then you can make it work...

Like, make 3 fake maps for project A (a number equal to the maps in Project B) and then the next 4 maps are your maps you wanted. Then, when you copy th emaps, you just exclude the dummy maps (as each map is stored as it's own file in the data section)

see what I mean?
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
You can directly copy/paste maps/event data into other projects. My brother does that all the time, though the transfers have to be fixed.