RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How did you learn the RPG Maker Baics?

Rep:
Level 90
Its all in the title. How did you learn the basics of RPG Maker?

We all started off as newbies at one point and we all learnt how to make an RPG our own way. I am just curious to know how you did it.

Did you:-

Learn it all yourself (Trial and Error)
Read Help Manual
Ask a friend
Ask on the forums
Or do you still not know the basics

I learn it all by my self, I just clicked each option and checked what it did.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I just downloaded other people's games and imported them into the maker and looked at how they did stuff. My game still sucked though. Now I've forgotten almost everything about RPGMaker's workings  :)
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 90
I do that sometimes too. RPG Maker is like riding a bike, once you have learned you never forget. At least it is like that for me.

Rep:
Level 91
never is such a weird word
wait 10 years, try using it again "woot i found the message button "

i learned by simply clicking on stuff -.-
holy shit my sig was big!

Rep:
Level 90
Not nesessarily, you could have a brilliant memory lol
Or you could use RPG Maker everyday for 10 years.  :O_o:

Rep:
Level 91
All I did was tests. I tried this, then what happens?

Rep:
Level 90
I basically learned on my own apart from parts of cutscenes from Zxmele and asking for a little help on stuff only to find out I figured it out b4 any1 posted =\

Rep:
Level 92
Welcome Poster of Year 2006 Award
Learned myself, used a tutorial once that had twenty erros, attempted to fix it, learned how to make an ABS and got further. :^^:  

I had almost given up twice on rpg making before getting back into it and getting even further than ever before. Of course I still haven't completed a game in 3 years. :O_o:
Do you want to be part of a growing Gaming Community, with many galleries, comics, active community, and gfx artists? Also known to be friendly. Also want some free anime music just for signing up? Play in the arcade?

Click Community Forums to join!

< Zelda Fan Club

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Well i couldn't set party start position cuz i lost what event mode is so i tried with each rpg mnay times, rpg xp had already made one, but it was 1024xWHATEVER! so i tried n tried and learned it myslef........finally
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 91
i am glad to see everyone learned everything on their own
it's one of the many reasons we never see switch/variable or omg message questions around here. -.-

Rep:
Level 90
Ya me too, but you still see the odd "OMG how do you make a guy speak" question around, I almost die laughting when I see stuff like that. Havn't they heard of a help manual?

(Hold on, I just realised I'm getting on with bluexx :shock:  When I first joined we used to argue and stuff!)
 :shock: OMG :shock:

Rep:
Level 89
Mystically Majestic
Quote from: thatsmypie
(Hold on, I just realised I'm getting on with bluexx :shock:  When I first joined we used to argue and stuff!)
 :shock: OMG :shock:

Someone hold me :|

Anyways, I'm trying to learn most of it on my own, I browse around topics seeing if it can help me out abit, and if I get stuck completely, I usually ask, or look around first :^^:

Also Known As:
Nec - Tactics Arena Online / MysticNec - Maple Story / [opiate] Mystic - Counter-Strike

Rep:
Level 90
~
Well I found out most of the stuff like messages stuff etc on my own, and then I asked a friend how he did some of the stuff in his game and he told me switches and variables and how to use them.  So I put asked a friend XD

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Am I the only one that's gonna be completely honest and say I asked around the forums?
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Rep:
Level 91
Quote from: Tsunokiette
Am I the only one that's gonna be completely honest and say I asked around the forums?

link me to the post in which i asked something like "omg what does switches do?"
i did have some stupid little stuff along the way.. really stupid stuff... but none of them are around the "basics" (switch, variables, message buttons and the first tab of conditional branches {yeah i remember tsu...:oops: you know what? you were right, i was a noob, even the passability/block could have easily been done without scripts >< })

but some people here had problems with variables , first tab of the branches and even switches ~_~

Lol, honestly.
The only thing I've ever used the help manual on was the message commands and switches.

Other than that it was all "Do it myself" because I used to be very young and more stupid than I am today. Back then, I didn't even know what a forum board was.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I first started with RPG maker 2k3. My brother sent it to me because he knew I liked that kinde of stuff. I didn't check online or go to forums at all. I figured out everything myself.

Once I got ahold of XP I started going to forums and stuff just because I thought it would be fun. Alot of the stuff I learned in 2k3 carried over to XP...

It doesn't seem unlikely to me that alot of these people figured out the basics themselves.

Rep:
Level 91
and i say that if someone didn't delete every post older than 2 months then i'd be able to give examples of dumb basics question of every each and one of you -.-

btw ark do you suppose reading the biggest tutorial also known as "the help file" shouldn't be considered as being helped?

Read Help Manual     
   0%    
    0%     [ 0 ]

hmm.. messages and switches.. sounds basic to me.. -.-

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I haven't been here very long, so if I've asked any dumb questions I am sure you can find them.

(EDIT: Did I really say that? It would be hard but you could probably make an ABS in 2k3 with events. Dunno how good it would be though.)
(EDIT again: Found where I said that... I haven't used 2k3 in a long time, so I don't really remember what the events are capable of. I still think even if someone made an ABS in 2k3 it would probably end up pretty tacky.)

Rep:
Level 91
most of your posts are in resources so i doubt the possibility of having any questions ~_~
(though i saw you doubted (you didn't say can't though) the possibility of abs in rm2k3.. but err abs is not a basic thing)

and take pie.. who had a post asking for how to change the message(E is like Editing the stupid icon file?)

and ark made a few dumb comments too(and they are deleted..)~_~

and who knows, maybe one day you'll remember you looked at a tutorial :shock: (well at least you didn't make stupid topics.. that's good..)

Rep:
Level 91
Ignore what i say. I'm never here anyway
i just messed around with settings till something worked...
If you post outside the sewer, don't expect me to see it.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Same here, I just figured it all out on my own and whatnot.

Wow.. 13 votes for "Learned Myself". Some people are lying or think they know more than they really do.  :|

I'm not saying I'm an RPG Maker expert by any means, there are still some things I don't know how to do, and I get mixed up every now and then, but I can still actually make a game that works without having to ask how to do this, or how to do that and blah blah blah. Not that that's bad or anything...
:tinysmile:

btw ark do you suppose reading the biggest tutorial also known as "the help file" shouldn't be considered as being helped?

Er... I never voted.

and ark made a few dumb comments too(and they are deleted..)~_~

What? Are you saying like asking questions wise? I don't recall ever asking a question on here. Although I did ask for a dragon battler once. But that's it.

Anywho, Yeah that's maybe 10 to many that have claimed the figured it out on their own.

Rep:
Level 91
Thanks For Coming
*Agrees with Ark*

Im sorry, but i dont believe any of you.

Rep:
Level 90
~
Quote from: Tsunokiette

I was honest, I didn;t ask on the forums, if what I wanted to know was on the forums and I got ti there I found it using search.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
We're talking about the basics here... Its not like anyone is claiming they taught themselves how to script without any help or somthing like that.

Rep:
Level 91
Sorry, I just remembered. I first got some help on the SSwitches in the beinging. But I learned about varibles on my own.

Rep:
Level 91
Quote from: DeathTrooper

I was honest, I didn;t ask on the forums, if what I wanted to know was on the forums and I got ti there I found it using search.

using old tutorials is still using tutorials and that's no learning on your own -.-
(better than asking though)

Rep:
Level 90
~
Tell you the truth I didn't look at the tutorials.  I figured I didn't need them and never even bothered to visit that part of the forums oddly enough I learned some stuff, few things from the questions noobs asked but the majority was learned on my own and switches and variables were taught to me by my friend Paul

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
I learned the basics myself with RM2K.
I didn't go to any forum before wanting to share my mini-game.
I didn't know that RMXP existed before finding crankeye.com.
If I had known the existance of message boards suchs as this back when I started I would surely have asked lots of questions.
My first question (request) here was about getting an explanation of the RGSS syntax. It was my second post as far as I remember...

So I learned the basics by myself simply because the lack of other options.
I could have looked in the help file now that I think about it... That is, if the version of RM2K actually had a help file. I never looked.
Is common events among basic knowledge? You know what I'm talking about, right BlueXx? Of course you do.

Rep:
Level 91
yeah even i miss a button or 2, though not being aware of the existance of it zeriab i still had ways to do the same without the mighty common para by simply using normal paras
the usage of parallels on their own btw is not on the basics because many people only learned the power of parallels after a large period of time, and some don't know it yet

as for common event on it's own, that is basic knowladge but i was aware of it's existance ~_~ (just didn't really care about the triggers)

so hmm zeriab, are 2frame waits  as a solution to para lag basic knowladge or not?

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Quote from: blueXx
...so hmm zeriab, are 2frame waits  as a solution to para lag basic knowladge or not?

You answered that yourself  :roll:

Quote from: blueXx
the usage of parallels on their own btw is not on the basics because many people only learned the power of parallels after a large period of time, and some don't know it yet