RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
KNights RPG Does it! How do i?!

Rep:
Level 84
StarcrÅft
The KNights RPG, if you've dled it be4, has a the main character (player) move faster when a key stroke is held.... I think it was Z... anyways i tried making a parallel Common Event on my Speed Slips (Armor which are supposed to speed me up) so that when equipped, it will make me go faster when holding the R button... or w/e button. Please HALP ME! Tanx!  :lol:

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
You mean a run button?
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 84
StarcrÅft

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
I think it's time to kill someone.

or to

get drunk  :pw:

;8

don't tank people.

it's mean.

Rep:
Level 84
StarcrÅft
Ok, lets get bak to helping me, i really dont know how to make my character faster than a normal pace!  :mex:

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Okay time for my rational answer  :bean:

There is no guarantee of this working, but here's my idea here:

go into the common events menu, make a common event, make a key input processing event (Or the equivalent, just use the event button that allows you to assign a key to a variable) that activates when you press whatever key (You'll need to assign it to one of those variable whatsits), then make a note of a number - When you see the list of keys, there should be a number next to all of them

I.E. shift( 8 )

remember that number well. (Not eight of course, unless that is the actual number you selected ;o;)

Then make a conditional branch. Remember that variable whatsit you assigned the key to? make the conditional branch activate when that variable is equal to that other number you memorized.

now this is where it gets sort of sketchy, all that stuff you did just now was the part where you press the button, this next part is where you make that button do something. The rest of this is theory, and i have no idea whether this part works.

Go in the conditional branch, this is where the rest of the events go. Select "move event" (Or the equivalent.) Make sure you're moving the hero and than input "increase hero move speed"(Or the equivalent.)

That's my idea, and i'm just going to throw it out there. Of course, you're going to want it to turn off or else this is just going to make your hero faster and faster. there isn't much of a difference, it'd just be something like:

key input processing
conditional branch if variable = whatever then

conditional branch if switch is on then

decrease hero move speed

switch: whatever off

if not

increase hero move speed

switch: whatever on

branch end

branch end.

Again, this is all theory, i use 2k3 but i've seen XP and it should work okay.

Rep:
Level 84
StarcrÅft
Wow, that pretty confusing!

Instead of variables i used the SpeedSlips as a variable. Does that work? Do you HAFTA to use variables? I rly only use variables for randomization, never have used em for anything else. Gulp* Scary thoughT!  :o
Oh, btw, the left,left, movement thing is just so i know it works. which it doesnt...

edit: don't double post, use the 'edit' or 'modify' button
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:00:28 PM by NAMKCOR »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
here's what you do bro
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 04:07:04 PM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Okay two notes: Namkcor, you left out some stuff, and i can't figure out a way to make that work in my mind. the point of the switch is to have it turn off and on .-.

Open, yes, you need variables for more than randomization, sorry man. It is a rather scary thought.

Namkcor had what i said right except for the lack of switches.

I'm rather interested to see how you develop as an RPG maker, open, most newbies can't figure anything out as far as you have.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Okay two notes: Namkcor, you left out some stuff, and i can't figure out a way to make that work in my mind. the point of the switch is to have it turn off and on .-.

Open, yes, you need variables for more than randomization, sorry man. It is a rather scary thought.

Namkcor had what i said right except for the lack of switches.

I'm rather interested to see how you develop as an RPG maker, open, most newbies can't figure anything out as far as you have.

I tested it before I posted it.
it works.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
What NAM posts looks like it would work. I would add some Wait frames to that though to reduce lag.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
What NAM posts looks like it would work. I would add some Wait frames to that though to reduce lag.

it already takes a split second for it to start running if you're already moving once you press the dash key, due to the key input reading of RMXP, so adding wait frames would make it lag -more- .-.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
I still can't make it work in my mind, but oh well :O

his question is answered, and that is the point ;o;

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member

it already takes a split second for it to start running if you're already moving once you press the dash key, due to the key input reading of RMXP, so adding wait frames would make it lag -more- .-.

Mmmn, but having two conditional branches checked every frame is a little excessive to reduce the waiting time (1 or 2 frames won't make a big difference). Conditional Branches are not very efficient in eventing - it will start to lag after about 10 in my experience. So using two every frame for a little event like this is a bit of a waste in my opinion, especially if there are any bigger event systems or if you are running multiple event systems at the same time. Anyway, it's just a matter of preference for me.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I see your point.

I was trying to figure out how to get it to run through less conditional checks to get the job done, but this is the smallest I could get it.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Mine only used two though ;o;

at least i think it was two, i never tested it

Spoiler for:
I have an excuse, i said that it was only theory several times  :tpg:

Rep:
Level 84
StarcrÅft
Thx for the compliment kitkatkan, i'm making an rpg called The Mist.
If you've seen the movie and loved it then youll love the feeling this map puts you in... im only still @ the beginning of the map... but still...
Took me 12 hours just to start the frickin thing. Ughness. its so hooking though. I used to play starcraft and made over 100 maps on it, cuz i played it half my life, but this has so many more features! I lovs it! Thanks for the answer NAMKCOR, i lovs pix. makes it ezier for me.
I thought i did what you did but i didnt add the conditional 'Else" on to it. I'll try your way,
thx again everyone! I now know where to go for help! ^.^

Rep:
Level 84
StarcrÅft
Oh snap, 1 question. Where'd you get the Wait for Move's Completion thing?
Oh, and if it just something you randomly added in there. Then im still not good.
I did what you said and it just seems not to be reading the event.
Do i have to repeativley keep Calling the Common Event or WAT?! (Goes crazy) :tpg:

Rep:
Level 84
StarcrÅft
Ok... i definitley need an answer now! its bugging me! How the heck to i make this work!
This is what i got and it still aint workin!

Rep:
Level 97
Have you turned that switch on?

And do you have the item equipped?

Rep:
Level 84
StarcrÅft
Yes, the switch is turned on, its a parrallel one too making it repitive...
And yes, the SpeedSlips are always on him.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
"Wait for Move's Completion" is an event code. You can find it on the same page as the movement events.

it's required because it makes the game wait to continue anything else until that move event has been processed.  if you don't do that, then it will continually 'start' the move event whenever the key is pressed/not pressed, but will never evaluate it as it will keep trying to start it over and over and over again.

I don't remember what it's called in other versions of RMXP, but it -is- required.

edit: also, please don't double post, don't even CONSIDER triple posting.  There's an Edit/Modify button, please use it.