RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Decryption Test

Rep:
Level 82
I am uploading a sort sample of a "protection" method for RMXP games.
I am basically trying to get a feel for  how easy/hard it is for people to crack.  Some of you will know immediately how I did it, but I ask you not to go shouting it out just yet, since that is part of the protection.  Even with that knowledge, still see if you can find a way to unlock the files.

If you do manage to unlock the files, once again do not post your method at first, give others a chance to try.  Simply post the name of the method I added to Scene_Map, the name of the audio file played, and the name of the graphic file used in the demo.  That will be more than enough proof that you were successful.

Okay, without further adieu, here's the link:  DecryptMe!

If you are on a 64 bit system, you may get an error when attempting to start the game.  Just try enough times, and it WILL start.  I used the same method here as my one to make the portable versions of RMXP and RMVX, so the same problems persist.

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
Hmm, that's quite a bit of money you're spending on a RPG Maker game. It's not my strong area, but I'll give it a go to see if I can get around it.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:31:07 AM by Exhydra »

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Rep:
Level 82
I didn't spend any money, and I could duplicate it with any game in a matter of 1 minute, so if it works well, I can tweak it a bit to give better x64 support, and we have a new standard for encrypting RMXP games, since I have yet to see one that couldn't be cracked within minutes.

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
Eh, I used to get aggressive about encryption and protecting assets, but seeing as how the video game industry has spent millions on the prevention of piracy and hasn't gotten much to show for it ... I thought it would be best to give up on the idea. If someone wants something for free, they'll take it eventually. If people honestly like the game and its reasonably priced, they'll pay for it.

Pedo_Peeking = true! I see you~ </rhyming>

Code: [Select]
• Method  ... [Pedo_Peekaboo]
• Picture ... [Pedo_Corner.png]
• Music   ... [Victory 1.mid]

class Scene_Map

def pedo_peekaboo
    if @pedo_peeking == nil
      viewport = Viewport.new(0, 0, 640, 480)
      viewport.z = 899999
      @pedo = Sprite.new(viewport)
      @pedo.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture('pedo_corner')
      @pedo.x, @pedo.y = -95, 480
      @count = 0
      @pedo_peeking = true
    end
  end

alias zer0_pedobear_peek_upd update
  def update
    if @pedo_peeking
      @count += 1
      if @count < 47
        @pedo.x += 2
        @pedo.y -= 2
      elsif (@count > 90) && (@count < 200)
        @pedo.x -= 1
        @pedo.y += 1
      elsif @count > 200
        @pedo.dispose
        @pedo_peeking = nil
      end
    end
    zer0_pedobear_peek_upd
  end
end

It took me a little while because I wasn't used to working with RPG Maker XP at all. That and retrieving information like this really isn't my strong suit ... just an amateur.

UPDATED 05-29-14

UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Rep:
Level 82
If you're still looking for a good encryption suite for XP or VX, I would suggest looking into LargeProjectEx (download link is the first link on the far right underneath the 'LargeProjectEx' subsection). It still has openings in its armor, but it has some really interesting techniques it uses that might serve as inspiration for other things.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:55:09 PM by Exhydra »

UPDATED 05-29-14

UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Rep:
Level 82
I really wasn't looking for one, nor trying to create one.  As I'm sure you saw, I found a program used to create portable applications and simply tried using it on an RMXP project.  There really isn't any encryption to it whatsoever.  I was curious how many others could figure how to open the package.  I thought if it was reasonably hard for most people to crack, then it would be a legitimate candidate for an easy way to protect games.  I personally don't care about encryption, I know its more or less a lost cause. RMXP in particular is extremely simple to crack, DRGSS aside even.  Even changing the encryption key and repackaging the DLL is just a minor delay of game, a standard hex-editor still tears it apart.

I believe you are the only one who actually posted and confirmed you got it.  I'm not sure how many others actually tried and failed/succeeded though. Thank you for testing, and for the feedback. ;)

Rep:
Level 82
Not a problem, I enjoy the challenge.  :o  Strangely enough, it's fun.

UPDATED 05-29-14

UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5