RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[2k] Dragon Fantasy: Origins

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
Story:
The story takes place within the world of Tsufanubra, and is a relatively simple tale. Vlad, a mage from the prospering city of Lispen has defected, and now wields his magics with a dark purpose. In his quest for an unfathomable dark power, he has cursed the world and its inhabitants, transforming them in to monsters and various other forms of demonic entities.

You take the position of the Hero, and with your band of adventurers must set off across the vast world and put an end to the dark mage's evil schemes.

Game Rating:
E (Everyone).

Team:
Myself, Lavata (Or Ephiam, depending on where you go. I'm known as Ephiam next to everywhere else with the exception of this forum).

Credit:
-Ephiam/Lavata (Me) for 70% of the graphics. The monster sprites are the only non-custom part, and they come from one of the early wizardry installments (or a remake of the first?).

-Music, sound, etc. all come from various other games such as Zelda, Wizardry, Breath of Fire, Shin Megami Tensei, and Seventh Saga.

Characters:
The player is free to construct their own party from the ground-up as soon as they've started the game, so there are really no pre-defined characters to speak of. Instead, here is a list of classes you're able to choose from for each of your player characters upon starting a new game:

Musician Class.
The musician boosts the party's performance in battle through her various songs.

Learned Skills:
Harmful Sound: Inflicts a small amount of damage to a single enemy.
Healthy Song: Recovers a small amount of HP to single party member.
Magic Song: Recover 6 MP to single party member.
Power Song: Raise ATK of a single party member.
Shield Song: Raise DEF of a single party member.
Intelligence Song: Raise INT of a single party member.
Fast Song: Raise AGL of a single party member.
Absorbtion Song: Absorb HP of a single enemy.

Priest Class.
Wields holy magics to recover and revitalize party members both in and out of battle.

Learned Skills:
Heal: Recover HP of a single party member.
Life: Revive a single party member from K.O.
Healing Party: Recover HP of the entire party.
Cleanse: Cures Poison and Darkness.
Return: Cures Silence and Sleep.
Pure Mind: Cure Confuse and Berserk.
Move: Cures Stop and Slow.
Purity: Removes all status abnormalities.

Hexer Class.
Combines deadly poisons and debilitates enemy groups with a various assortment of status ailments in battle.

Learned Skills:
Poison Mixture: Poisons a group of enemies.
Petrifying Mixture: Petrifies a group of enemies.
Silencing Mixture: Silences a group of enemies.
Bloody Mixture: Inflicts Bleeding on a group of enemies.
Confusion Mixture: Confuses a group of enemies.
Mad Mixture: Berserks a group of enemies.
Stopping Mixture: Stops a group of enemies.
Blinding Mixture: Blinds a group of enemies.

Sage Class.
Conjures mighty storms that decimate enemy groups in battle.

Learned Skills:
Fire Storm: Fire damage on a group of enemies.
Ice Storm: Ice damage on a group of enemies.
Lightning Storm: Electric damage on a group of enemies.
Rain Storm: Water damage on a group of enemies.
Earth Storm: Earth damage on a group of enemies.
Wind Storm: Wind damage on a group of enemies.
Light Storm: Light damage on a group of enemies.
Dark Storm: Dark damage on a group of enemies

Dark Warrior Class.
Wields dark magics through his cursed sword, destroying enemies within battle through powerful skills linked with status ailments.

Learned Skills:
Blind Sword: Blinds and damages a single enemy.
HP Sword: Damage and absorb HP from a single enemy.
Double Sword: Damage a single enemy.
Dark Sword: Damages and lowers the Dark defence of a single enemy.
Doom Sword: Damages and kills a single enemy.
MP Sword: Damages and absorbs MP of a single enemy.
Poison Sword: Poisons and damages a single enemy.
Break Sword: Breaks DEF and damages a single enemy.

Knight/Warrior Class.
Utilizes various sword skills to destroy enemy defences.

Learned Skills:
Break Skill: Breaks DEF on a single enemy.
Weak Skill: Weakens ATK of a single enemy.
Shatter Skill: Shatters INT of a single enemy.
Distraction Skill: Inflicts Distract on a single enemy.
MPGone Skill: Inflicts MP Gone on a single enemy.
Blinding Skill: Inflicts Bleeding on a single enemy.
Death Skill: Kills a single enemy.
Bleeding Skill: Inflicts Bleeding on a single enemy.

Dancer Class.
Utilize their natural dancing abilities to inflict a various assortment of status ailments on to enemies.

Learned Skills:

Poison Dance: Inflicts Poison on a single enemy.
Darkness Dance: Inflicts Darkness on a group of enemies.
Speechless Dance: Inflicts Silence on a single enemy.
Sleeping Dance: Inflicts Sleep on a group of enemies.
Confusing Dance: Inflicts Confuse on a single enemy.
Madness Dance: Inflicts Berserk on a single enemy.
Distraction Dance: Inflicts Distract on a group of enemies.
Slow Dance: Inflicts Slow on a group of enemies.

Elementalist Class.
Summon elemental-based beasts in to battle to destroy enemies.

Learned Skills:
Summon Fire: Inflicts Fire damage on a single enemy.
Summon Ice: Inflicts Ice damage on a single enemy.
Summon Electric: Inflicts Electric damage on a single enemy.
Summon Water: Inflicts Water damage on a single enemy.
Summon Earth: Inflicts Earth damage on a single enemy.
Summon Wind: Inflicts Wind damage on a single enemy.
Summon Light: Inflicts Light damage on a single enemy.
Summon Dark: Inflicts Dark damage on a single enemy.

Screenshots:

Spoiler for:

Download:http://rpgmaker.net/games/1733/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:40:14 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Dragon Fantasy: Origins? Really?

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
Yes? Why not? I've been using the name "Dragon Fantasy" since 2006~, and have roughly 6 finished projects in the series. The "Origins" subtitle I added because I thought it looked like it should be the "true" first installment due to the style I decided to use (dating further back than the NES).

If it's because it sounds smilar to "Dragon Age: Origins," then I can't do much about that. And no, I'm not re-naming it.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Those are not good or bad reasons, but it still doesn't change the fact that its a dumb title.

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
The graphics reminds me of the graphics from the Ultima series. That's nothing bad of course. I kind of like those graphics.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
Okay, well I don't think it's a fact. That's just your opinion.

But anyway, let's not start anything over the name of something like this. It's a name, this is RPG Maker, it's a hobby. That's it.

And yes, I was inspired by the early Ultima titles actually! I'd been looking at a few videos on youtube, and so I decided to mimic the style (although not entirely). It came out decently, I've gotta say. Especailly considering how simple I made everything look. Sort of sad that I didn't decide to make my own monster graphics. =P

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
I've got a few questions:
1- How many people do you initially get to create? (Reminds me of Icewind Dale)
2- Are the skills shown the only skills the class has (Do they rank up at all?)

And the story is a bit confusing to me, as it is pretty dry. Was Vlad a soldier? Or did he become a rogue mage? (and is running from Templars (lol jk)) You say he cursed the world and its inhabitants, is the Hero cursed? Is everyone single being in the world cursed?

And initially I thought you were making a dragon age parody.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
You get to create a party of four, and you choose each of your party member's classes upon starting a new game. Once you've chosen your classes, they cannot be changed at any point during the game.

And yes, the skills shown are the only available skills for that specific class that can be bought throughout the entire game. And no, they remain the same the entire time.

I know this may sound like a lousy excuse, and it IS a self-imposed limitation, but I purposely made the story as simple as possible just because of the style of game I'm trying to imitate. It's just there because it has to be, and it helps drive the game forward, so it's not going to be all that complex. Ah ha ha.

Vlad hailed from one of Tsufanubra's capital cities famed for its advanced knowledge of magics and technology, and defected because of reasons explained (or that are going to BE explained) in the completed game (as it should). He's cast a curse over all of the lands that is gradually changing the people in to monsters, and so you and your band of adventurers must set off to put an end to his evil scheme.

Everyone is cursed, but it's just taking a while to... kick in. And is the Hero cursed? Of course not! He/she's the hero. Or maybe they are? You could pretend that they were if you really wanted to. Ah ha ha.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
I guess I forgot to try out the game. I'm downloading the game now and I'll be sure to give some feedback on it in an edit.

EDIT (Well, that wasn't very long): I like the character selection at the beginning, it's a cool feature to the game. But I guess the game was a bit TOO old school for my liking. Gameplay wise, there's nothing wrong with it, though initially I had no idea where to go, nor do I now. I just left town and fought s lion's face called Animal. The mapping is pretty confusing, so I didn't know where I was or where to go. So, it's a decent game, I just feel that if you don't like the look of the game, you won't enjoy it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:08:37 AM by hiromu656 »

Rep:
Level 71
:)
The thing about the title is that no matter how much you like it, people are going to hate on it because it has cliche fantasy title words like dragon and fantasy and it's similar to dragon age: origins.

I'm not trying to say I don't like your game idea, it looks pretty fun, i'm just saying that you might get a lot of crap over the title.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
He already has. You should try the game.

Rep:
Level 71
I hate it when I try to say something and i'm all awkward and fail. I was trying to say he'll get more crap as the development goes on. And i'll try it soon, I was doing something else at the moment.

Rep:
Level 71
Just downloaded the game! Having trouble with the text, for some reason D:

EDIT: I'm pretty impressed with all this custom stuff. This is really fun.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:02:02 PM by JhenMohran »

Rep:
Level 70
need help with iphone game
great game sounds good
currently making: iphone game

TIPS NEEDED!

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
Again: I've had the title for 4-5 years now, so there's no chance I'm going to change it. People don't like it? Tough.  Besides, it's been floating around for 6~ years with no one bothering to complain about the name, so I don't know why they'd bother to start now that the series is fairly well-known.

But thank you for the comments! Unlike with complaints, I make sure to listen to criticism and such, then use that to improve future versions of the game. Nice to know that you enjoyed it once you gave it a chance! But for now this project is on hiatus while I finish up some other things.