RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RMVX] [Completed] Avarice

Rep:
Level 88
Where IS he hiding the knife...?
Project of the Month winner for August 2007Project of the Month winner for February 2010

Downloads:
Full Version (No VX RTP Required - full game): http://anamei.net/files/games/AvariceFull.exe
Compact Version (VX RTP Required - full game): http://anamei.net/files/games/Avarice.exe

Avarice is an Action Role-playing game created in two weeks for the 2009 Game Chill Competition. The contest’s theme of Opposing Forces is represented by the forces of Magic and Technology in the Steampunk-esque world of Arvera, where the scattered remains of an ancient civilization have left the people with an abundance of both but an understanding of neither. The game’s projected playtime is around two to three hours, but it was designed to have a considerable amount of replayability.

What is it about?

Avarice is a  story about a sorcerer named Vandeli who is searching for something stolen from him, and he will do whatever it takes to to find it. Drawn into his affairs is a girl named Lexi, a young scavenger who seems to bring trouble with her wherever she goes.

Game Features

-The Seraph Shooting System for unique real-time combat. Supports both mouse and keyboard play.

-Two playable characters with unique weapons, abilities, and talents.

-Customizable Character Talents : Use your earned experience to improve your characters’ ability to attack, use items, activate

objects, or overcome obstacles such as locked doors.

-Non-linear Story and Gameplay: Explore the dungeons of the world in whatever order you wish, depending on your actions certain

story sequences may be different.

-Variable Difficulty Levels to suit any level of challenge. At higher difficulty, some enemies even gain new attack patterns.

-Randomly generated treasure and loot.

-Two possible endings.

Screenshots

Videos

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4nP94Sp13A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4nP94Sp13A</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DaeNOpMtNU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DaeNOpMtNU</a>

Credits

Additional Resources:
-Mack
-Whitecat

Additional Scripts:
-GameClover
-berka
-Cybersam

Music:
ll songs found at www.newgrounds.com
All songs are free to use for non-commercial purposes.

-ConsciousAutomation
-Devastus
-Dopedgod
-DustDevil
-Erectronik
-IheartQuistis
-JJ-RecOil
-MarkySpark
-Nietzlawe
-ObsidianSnow
-Randomizor
-Squale
-WinterWindNS

Beta Testers
-PandemoniaChick
-TiberiusAudley
-Silviera

Characters, Story,
and Level Design by:

-Solitayre

Custom Art, Level Design,
Battle System, and more by:

-Anamei Productions
-www.anamei.net
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:32:48 PM by modern algebra »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Very nice. I like your maps. I watched most of your video. I like what I saw. I also edited your topic to embed the youtube video into your post. I'll move this to completed projects :)

Rep:
Level 88
Project of the Month winner for August 2007Project of the Month winner for February 2010
Great, thank you! I used your example code to stick a second one in there too. :)

(Thanks for the quick move too!)

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Favourite Staff Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)
This looks fantastic. Yay, you've always been one of my favourite RM game creators.

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
Silence, Radian
I have to say, I am loving this. The storyline thus far is very interesting, and I enjoy the shooting system.
Only problem I have found is from my own computer, and that's lag, but obviously, I can't blame you for that.
Good job with this game. I'm enjoying it.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Whoa, this IS looking pretty good. =3

*runs off to download*

Rep:
Level 85
???, "Big Nose"
Ok, wow.

Even on my netbook, this runs pretty well.  Smooth, and tons of style.  I am really enjoying this.

This feels a lot like the darthlupi game Magecraft, except with a better story.  I've been watching Naruto this week, and was really inspired by your battle system.

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
Wow, I'm impressed! This is by far the greatest RPG Maker game I have ever played. Although I'm having a hard time figuring out good combinations, and generally... Playing the game well. xP
If anyone could give me some tips, I'd be greatful.
BTW nice job on Vandeli!

Rep:
Level 88
Vandeli is fun. :)

As for tips on how to play; there are a lot of ways to do so.

Magic and Tech are the two main branches of weapons, Vandeli uses magic and Alexis uses technology.

In the available weapons you have for either exist both purely offensive things (guns and elemental magic) and debuff (curses) and debilitating (traps and wards) using all 3 isn't necessary to win at all, but mixing them up can really help out with different enemy types.

Remember that enemies that haven't noticed you yet take a critical on the first hit; this is particularly effective for long-range skills that might seem less useful otherwise like Diamond Shot and the various Sniper-style rifles. Laying down a Snare, then hitting with the sniper rifle and leading them onto the trap is a great way to damage and then cripple an enemy; follow it up by moving in with a powerful skill is a way to safely finish off some enemies while conserving your ammo and MP.

I also sometimes like to lead enemies over a series of explosive mines when I have trouble dodging their attacks or when I've used Van too much and he needs time to recover (or when I'm low on healing items!)

Also, don't underestimate curses; when attack power or defense is dropped by one of those curses, it's an easy to calculate and direct effect, not like dropping an enemies defense by 50% in the standard turn-based equations, 50% defense = 2x damage, mix that with a 2x damage on yourself for insane damage. :)

Spells are unique in effect and have more combination-like use.
Many guns are similar and have the whole "shooting you" effect, but each weapon has strengths and weaknesses over other weapon types and even against other weapons of the same type (not all Shotguns are created equal!)

If you're serious about curses, traps, and wards, they also gain more bonuses from their Talent than the normal weapons do; normal spells/weapons just get a range, accuracy, and damage bonus, but Traps and Curses and Glylphs increase in duration, and so do their STATUS EFFECTS! A max talent Snare will hold for about 2x as long as a zero-level Snare, that's a pretty huge difference. :)

Finally, if you're having trouble with a fight, in the shop that sells Van's spells and equipment is a lady; she is an alchemist that sells potions that you can NOT find as loot. These allow you to do double your stats temporarily, which is a HUGE advantage.

Each enemy has it's weaknesses, think about easy ways to fight them and you'll find there are ways to take out nearly any foe without a lot of danger. 90% of the enemies in the game are aggro on sight and follow movement/facing patterns, so if you can lay a trap while they're turned around you can apply your effects without taking a hit.

Small enemies are usually best dealt with using AoE or skills that don't need to hit perfectly (like Gust, or exploding a Fireball against a nearby object, or laying mines.)

Larger enemies are powerful but slower, they're best dealt with using traps and a strong blow while they're un-aggroed to get critical hit bonus damage, then laying down some direct fire to take the last of their life away quickly.

Sneaky enemies are tougher; especially those snipers in the Steam dungeon. I like to watch where they disappear and when they're about to reappear start laying down AoE or fast attacks like Van's Fireball and Bolt, or Lexi's combat rifle or repeater pistols (mini/gatling guns work well here too!)

Faster enemies are weakest to being led over traps since they're easy to kill when they aren't buzzing around your face firing off their speedy attacks, and their low HP makes them easy targets when they can't move or are slowed by a Glyph (Prison and Snare and Explosive Mines work great here.)

Groups of enemies can be whittled down by multiple traps, long-range sniping skills, or just heavy offense.

Hope some of that helps!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:22:56 AM by Anaryu »

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
This game is fun : D
although I keep getting killed
I really need to stop rushing into things XD

pokeball joyOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 85
I heard the voice of the salt in the desert
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best Artist2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2014 Best Artist2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Most Unsung Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion
So far I think the battle system plays just fine. And the graphics are very nicely put together, a+ for art direction.

I have run into a couple mapping issues, the stacked barrels in the scene where blondie fries that grey haired guy in the beginning are lacking their tops. Also, the lantern in the first item shop seems to have a priority issue, I think you intended it to be on top of the furniture, but it's drawing as though it were on the floor behind it.

Rep:
Level 88
a real time action battle system does not work well with RMVX since it's a little bit lame, no matter how good it looks.

why has this game hidden resources? ???

1. What does RMVX lack that makes it not work well for action based systems?

2. Hidden resources? You mean why is it encrypted? Because it makes a cleaner package.
There are decryptors all over the place, so it's not like we can 'hide' any resources anyway.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:13:07 PM by Anaryu »

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
@Deacon, that only applies on 2k3

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
This is gorgeous. Great job, man.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I mean the chars move slower in RMVX as well as the whole game movement. THat makes a real time action battle system more ''lame'' and not as comfortable to play. But it may be that just my pc does not run VXP that quick as it should be. But e.g. when you click [Esc] in the VX standard menu it needs about .5 sec to go back to the last screen while 2k/3 goes back immediately. So the interface or handling whatever of VX is a little bit more lame. But I guess on a better pc it could go better. Dont know

Works fine for me.

Also yes, the author has encrypted their data so that people can't steal their artwork.  If you are asking why you can't get into the game files, and take the resources, it's because the author isn't giving out freebies for anyone who wants to run off with their work.  Look somewhere else for your resources.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 88
I mean the chars move slower in RMVX as well as the whole game movement. THat makes a real time action battle system more ''lame'' and not as comfortable to play. But it may be that just my pc does not run VXP that quick as it should be. But e.g. when you click [Esc] in the VX standard menu it needs about .5 sec to go back to the last screen while 2k/3 goes back immediately. So the interface or handling whatever of VX is a little bit more lame. But I guess on a better pc it could go better. Dont know

Move more slowly?

FPS of the game is 60, which is a the standard for both RM2K3 and most 2D development (ideally all if you can get it that high in 3D stuff.) Since FPS is how often the system updates, it's not updating more slowly, and the move speed of the characters is easily comparable to games like 2D Zelda, etc, I could speed them up more, but then it becomes harder to actually move.

Maybe there is a .5 second lag between the menu and the map re-rendering, I haven't paid enough attention in both engines to notice, that's not because VX is slower, it's just how it's built. There are ways to make the menu instantaneous if you want.

It's possible VX is lagging on your computer like you said, maybe you're not getting the full 60 FPS?
VX is a more taxing engine than 2K3, much like Halo 3 versus Duke Nukem 3D; however one of the developers, Solitayre, runs a pretty antiquated machine, so it should run pretty smoothly on most PCs.

What does that mean? ''cleaner package''?

Less files and a nice .exe extractor, and no "Game.rvproj" file - I also don't see any reason to allow people to edit it. Why should I NOT encrypt it?

Thanks!

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Uh... no. It's not a completely free sharing system. I'd be pissed as hell if I spent a long time working on perfecting something for my own game and had someone swipe it from my game to just slap in their own game, especially if their game was shitty. It'd lessen the supposed "originality" of the game even though all of the hard work was put into making the graphics/technique specifically for my specific game. If I made something specifically for anyone to use rather than myself, I wouldn't really care, but if I did it for myself, then hell yeah I'm not going to just let other people swipe it so easilly.

If you're going to complain about a game not having its resources out in the open for you to swipe, feel free to either take it up in PM or make a whole new topic for it, but stop complaining about it here. And stop giving me a fox wink in almost every single one of your posts.  :mad:

Back on topic, I love this game. :3

Rep:
Level 88
Because the RM scene lived from sharing resources for years and still does? In addition to that I believe people can't open your game with RMVX and learn from your techniques and scripts because of the encryption.
(@ random moderator above Avaryce: It's not about me. I do my own ''artworks''  :zwink:)

About the slowness: I just tired to record something from a very simple VX game  without any scripts or features and it was a nightmare, because while recording it was slow as hell! Recording RM2k/3 games works quite fine for me though (it gets lamer too, but not THAT lame). I think this shows the difference. Of course your VX game is playable on my or Solitayre's old machine, but after all it is still SLOWER than RM2k/3 games (except those who lagg as hell because they use too many parallel processes). That's why I said a VX action battle system does not work as dynamicly although it has pixel movement which of course would be a positive point.

If you're running a recorder that might be why; video recording take up a lot of power on a computer and it needs to run at the same time as the software you're recording.

As for the speed, it's the FPS (frames per second) - my VX registers at 60, 2K3 updates at 60, there's no speed difference outside what your computer can handle. 2K3 is much easier for a computer to run at 60 frames per second because each update takes a lot less power than VX, but once it hits 60 it doesn't run any faster (otherwise your characters would be moving too fast for you to possibly even control.) If VX can't handle what it's doing at 60 FPS you'll see that drop down and it will feel slow, much like when I turn up the graphics to "Medium" on any modern 3D game. :D

But VX WILL be easier to lag up on a busy computer than 2K3 like you said; but that same problem comes with any other modern maker too (GameMaker, Torque 2/3D, and others I've used.)

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
In addition to that I believe people can't open your game with RMVX and learn from your techniques and scripts because of the encryption.

that's the whole point of encrypting a game, so that people can't steal your work.
also VX works fine for everyone else.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 82
Dreamers often lie.
I've noticed a rather exploitable bug in one of the first parts of the game.

Spoiler for:
When you go into the first screen of the cave section of ruins (to the crystal where Vandeli doesn't have enough Enchant level to interact with the crystal), you can seemingly infinitely farm EXP there in the one spot so long as you don't increase Vandeli's skill. I found this out rather by accident as I was getting used to the controls and clicked the interaction button multiple times.

The game looks gorgeous and plays wonderfully though.  :D

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
Robot Unicorns ATTACK!!!!
This is awesome! What ABS did you use? Was it hard to set up? I'm looking for a good one for my game, but all of them are just copies of the Vampyr or Requiem.
YOU LOST THE GAME

Projects & Recruitment
Spoiler for:
Recruitment:

Current Project:

ONLY AT RRR!
Userbars
Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
This is awesome! What ABS did you use? Was it hard to set up? I'm looking for a good one for my game, but all of them are just copies of the Vampyr or Requiem.

Anaryu scripted his own ABS for Avarice called, "SERAPH."
It's not publicly released.

Rep:
Level 72
One day I'll finish a game...
Unless the video has music overlayed, then some of the themes for this game are really innapropriate to what they're representing, in my opinion, and entirely too loud. However, it's also incredibly creative; the battling style and graphics are both quite top of the line.

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
Robot Unicorns ATTACK!!!!
Yeah, I found him on a couple other sites, and even PM'd him, and he gave me the version without the encryption. I got the files, but my trusty old XP died, and now I can't use it. I still have the files, though! When I get the new computer, I will set off on the long journey of How Do You Do This.
YOU LOST THE GAME

Projects & Recruitment
Spoiler for:
Recruitment:

Current Project:

ONLY AT RRR!
Userbars
Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Yeah, I found him on a couple other sites, and even PM'd him, and he gave me the version without the encryption. I got the files, but my trusty old XP died, and now I can't use it. I still have the files, though! When I get the new computer, I will set off on the long journey of How Do You Do This.

Is this system not for Vx?
i got the system files form him a while ago...they are actually really quite simple to figure out XD he organized his stuff pretty well