RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] What is your favorite chord?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I would ask for a favorite note, but some people might just say "A, because it's the starting note" or "C, because I played piano and I'm used to it" and there's only 13 (I think) notes.

SO! What's your favorite chord? If it's by how it sounds, the level of skill needed to play it on an instrument, etc. just say. :3 I really want to find out what kinds of exotic chords people like so I can give 'em a listen and "steal" them. I'm tired of regular ol' major and minor chords. ;-;

So yeah, say your favorite chord (or chords, if you like) just to get your opinion out or maybe to show people what kind of person you are (because I'm sure your choice of chords reflects what you're like to some degree). Or yeh.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:02:25 AM by irock »

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Random theory lesson time!

Let me teach you guys (and girls) a little Jazz Harmony. An "extended tertian" chord is a chord using only the notes from the key it's in. If a chord uses notes from OUTSIDE its key, it's then called an "altered" chord.

Here's the rules for extended tertian chords, in Jazz Harmony.
(Again, this means only using the notes in the key you're in.)
I'll stay in the key of C, just to keep things simple.

Major chords (and by major chords, I really mean "Maj7 and beyond" chords) can be extended up to the 9th (i.e. root, 3rd, 5th, maj7th, and 9th. In the Key of C, it's a Cmaj9, C E G B D).
You CAN throw in the 13th (A) if you want. But what DOESN'T fly is the 11th (the F). Try playing it on a piano, C E G B D F. That F just sounds ... weird, right? So, no 11ths in major chords.

Minor chords can be extended up to the 11th.
So, still in C, and playing an Amin11, that's A C E G B D.
Gorgeous, right? But throwing in that 13, the F in this case, makes it sound gross, and wonky.

Dominant chords (like G7, G B D F, where the 7th is a minor 7th interval from the root) can be extended all the way.
Again, still in C, that's the G7 chord, which can go all the way up to the G13. G B D F A C E. Using EVERY note in the key.
And it still sounds hot, eh? Damn right it does! Suspenseful, yes, because it's a dominant chord, but it works well if you follow the G13 with, say, a Cmaj9.

So, even though the Cmaj9(add13) chord has ALL the notes you're ALLOWED to put in it, while still keeping it a tertian chord, you CAN add more notes to it, and make it an altered chord.
Example, you can't add that 11. ...but you CAN add the #11!

Which bring me to MY favorite, chord, the maj9(#11) (with or without the 13/6 added).
For a Cmaj9(#11), that's C E G B D F#
And I like it better when it's spread out. Like this: C G D E B F# (that's over 3 octaves)

And it makes little difference to me whether it's a Cmaj9(#11) or an Fmaj9(#11), though I guess I like the Fmaj9(#11) the best.

And dude, there's only 12 notes. Come on.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:11:13 AM by Brandon Boyd »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Lol whoops, sorry. It was either 12 or 13, and I didn't bother to count. Although, that shouldn't be an excuse. ;-;

EDIT: Dang, man, that chord is awesome. ;-; It doesn't sound too exotic, and, although it's so unresolved or w/e that I can almost hear the next chord, it sounds great D: (used Tabit to do:

-14-
-12-
-9--
-12-
-10-
-8--

)
The F# sounds a bit loud, but it's good. :o (I think I made the chord right)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:34:09 AM by Ryu from Street Fighter »