RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Crimson Thorns

Rep: +0/-0Level 83

Crimson Thorns
A RPG Maker VX Production

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." ~ Kong Fu Zi

The War of the Thorns has plagued The Imperium Ager and The Kingdom of Essex for thirty years, and the war has costed both countries an immeasurable amount of resources, finances, and lives. The reasoning for such a war has not yet come to pass, and as a result of the heavy losses, the populace on both sides of the front have called for an end to the needless conflict. Unfortunately for them, neither ruler of his respective country is willing to submit to the other, and with so many sacrifices, each ruler sees it as an insult to the memories of the soldiers who gave their lives for such a conflict.

This is where our tale begins, in the midst of all this fighting and circumstance. You are Edwin, a man of principle who's been thrusted into this conflict as a result of his love for his family back home, and out of respect for his father, Eanmund, of whom he has not seen in so long. You don't know of the foundations of the war or why it is being fought, all you know is that in order to protect your loved ones, the war must come to an end. Unfortunately for you, you're a lone man who's about to be wrapped up in one of the biggest conspiracies the nation of The Imperium Ager has ever witnessed, and it all comes full force as your adventure begins. Your story will become rife with unspeakable odds, romance, betrayal, unexpected alliances, and the like as you go from being a respectable man of honor and decency to degenerating into a damaged son, a withered lover, and a man whose mission has become bastardized and corrupted beyond your imagination, becoming a shadow of what you once were before everything began to crumble. This is the tragedy of Edwin. This is Crimson Thorns.

Edwin
~ The main character, and the son of Eanmund and Aurora. Edwin serves alongside his father and brother in Zerdillian's Army, in the hopes of ending the War of the Thorns for good. Betrothed to his beloved Helen, he'd do anything to keep her and his daughter, Eleanora, safe from harm. Although his name bears more of a resemblance to his father's, (while his brother's name shares a common derivative of his mother's) he had a closer relationship with his mother, and with her passing, the only comfort he can go to now is his dear wife's. Though he may serve under his father's command, he nonetheless is distant from him personally, as the two do not speak outside of their military duties. As for his relationship with Aurin, it is a strained, if generic, brotherly one. His only reasoning in fighting for The Imperium Ager during a period of war is to keep his family safe, as they are all that matters to him. The accolades, the ranks, the material treasures, they are truly nothing to him; what keeps his blood flowing and his sword swinging is the incorporeal; the love of his wife, and a future for his daughter.

Eanmund
~ Father of Edwin and Aurin, and Gloucester's senior commanding official, Eanmund has lost much during the War of the Thorns; his dear wife, Aurora, and the trust of his friend, Gloucester, not to mention the distancing of his eldest son, Edwin. Eanmund joined The Imperium Ager army not too long after Gloucester enlisted, and together, the both of them became the crown jewels of the imperial army, highly in Lord Zerdillian's favor. Now, however, they've grown older, and their sons have taken up the mantle their fathers have left behind. Eanmund himself is a second generational soldier, as his father, Eudane, served Lord Malcolm, the previous Emperor of The Imperium Ager. He is closer to his younger son, Aurin, than he is his oldest, Edwin, which irates him, as he sees in Edwin a man who lives by his word, whereas Aurin lives by the sword. There will come a time when Eanmund's affection for his sons is undermined by his duty to his country, and in time, we will see how he compromises.

Aurin
~ Son of Eanmund and Aurora, and Edwin's younger brother, Aurin is the family's prince, as he is more selective of his comrades and surroundings than Edwin is, as Edwin would much rather pay heed to his wife than anyone else. Aurin, deep down inside, has ambitions for himself and his family, and his closeness to his father brings him face-to-face with the process of imperial government, no doubt helpful in his plight to realize his lofty dreams. Though he has never seen nor spoken with the Emperor, Zerdillian, he admires his will to keep up a war which has many detractors, most notably his brother. Aurin's easily impressionable, particularly by those of higher status, as he envies their positions in life. As a result of this, his father keeps a close eye on him, so as to deter him from becoming too envious. Unlike Edwin, he strives for success and wants to achieve as much as his father, perhaps even exceed his accomplishments. In time, perhaps he will see the truth.

Cedric
~ A young man residing in Eyre's Pass, he and his 'sis, as he calls her, live alone in seclusion. Cedric is overprotective of his sister as a result of her blindness, but he knows he cannot protect her forever. He is a ranger of the Pass, instructed to protect it from any known danger. While his sister hunts game, he helps prepares the meals and keeps the house tidy. An expert marksman, he's a crafty and witty young man who can strike his enemies from a mile away. His parents, before they died, left his sister in his care, and he promised to protect her by any means necessary. It's this promise that keeps him out of the War of the Thorns, for he knows if he enlists, his sister will have no one to be there for her. He avoided the draft because of his sister's handicap, and he sees it as his parents guiding him to and fro.

Sibylla
~ A young woman, and Cedric's beloved sister. She and 'Ced, as she calls him, live alone in Eyre's Pass, an old lookout used during the initial stages of the War of the Thorns. She is blind, however, ironically, she is also a master huntress, using her other senses in order to take down the game of the Pass and feed her and her brother. She loves her brother dearly, but sometimes wishes he would stop being so overprotective. Though she may fool you by her young age, she is wise beyond her years, and perhaps as compensation for her blindness, can see who people truly are just by speaking with them. Her brother says it's a gift from the Gods, and while she agrees, she also believes her mother and father are watching her from above, and are guiding her to enlightenment.

Tiberias
~ A rugged renegade on the run from The Imperium Ager, he seeks forgiveness for a past crime he committed, however, he often refuses to mention to his comrades the severity of his trangression. On his journey for redemption, he has seen many places, met many people, and done many things, both beneficial and detrimental to his character. He fails to recognize where he came from, as he says of the place, "It is but a memory to me." The Imperium Ager has placed a bounty on his head, and he scurries along the entire breadth of the empire in order to escape what horrible fate they have waiting for him. It is his determination to seek forgiveness which keeps him going, and he hopes he can make a difference in some person's life by atoning for his sins, though he knows full well it'll be a difficult one, he's no more less up for such a daunting task.

Julia
~ A fun-loving and adventurous young spirit, Julia is the life of the party! Well, no, not really, but she would be if there was any party to be had. She hails from the Kingdom of Essex, the warring country opposite of The Imperium Ager. She's an overly bubbly young woman, however, she cannot help it, as she tries to see the good in everything, even in people who've committed reprehensible acts. She is mum as to the specifics of her past, where exactly she comes from, and so forth. She is an enigma, basically, and prefers to keep it that way. There must be a reason, however, for her being in The Imperium Ager, away from her home country of Essex.

Gloucester
~ Second-in-Command of Zerdillian's Army, he is a cold and clever man, and wishes for his son's obedience. He has served Zerdillian for nearly 30 years, being his vassal ever since the beginning of his reign as Emperor, and he considers Zerdillian not only a great Emperor, but a good friend as well. As a result of his years of service, he is Zerdillian's highest ranking officer, and if the Emperor is incapable at the moment of directing the imperial army, Gloucester is next in line to do so at will. As Zerdillain hasn't been seen or heard from publicly in two years, however, Gloucester has had control over the imperial army. Some members of the military are skeptical of his intentions, however, he insists his orders come directly from Zerdillian himself. Indeed, something may be amiss here...

Laurence
~ Gloucester's son, Laurence is a fierce and loyal friend of Edwin's, having known him since early childhood. Though his father dotes upon him in the hopes of receiving his utmost obedience, Laurence cannot help but be rebellious towards his father and his wishes. He is betrothed to Claudia, but insists no love exists between them, and therefore refuses to marry her officially. Even so, he will protect her if he must, and treats her more like a good friend than a potential spouse. He and Edwin have a playful rivalry going on, as their fathers, respectable members of the imperial army, are senior commanders and wish for their sons to follow in their footsteps, and achieve the same level of success. Though his lance may belong to the art of war, his heart belongs to the art of philosophy; he idolizes such men of peace as Warren The Wise, and Gaelin, a former advisor to Lord Malcolm. Laurence sees their words as wisdom as harmless, but Gloucester sees it as cause for concern.

Claudia
~ Laurence's fiance, Claudia is the daughter of the Duke of Chaucenbury, and was chosen by Gloucester to wed Laurence, despite his son's refusal to marry her. She is more of an object of good faith, as her marriage to Laurence, supposedly, was enacted to help keep relations between her father and Laurence's in a healthy balance. She herself is reluctant and confused of her feelings towards Laurence, but she cares for him enough that she will do whatever she can to ease his suffering in the War of the Thorns.

Lord Zerdillian
~ Emperor of The Imperium Ager, Zerdillian is a learned man in war and diplomacy, and longs for an era of peace. Before coming into power, he ordered the judicial execution, or regicide, of the prior Emperor of The Imperium Ager, Lord Malcolm, who, by all accounts, was a malicious and ill-intended man. Therefore, as a result, Zerdillian was crowned Emperor in one of the most non-violent coups in Imperium Ager history, with only one recorded casualty. (That being the execution of Lord Malcolm) Zerdillian himself is not without his critics, however, for not too long after he became Emperor, he instigated the War of the Thorns, a war which has been raging on for the last 30 years, and has costed The Imperium Ager countless lives. Initially, he was a bold and brash ruler, but throughout the years, he has grown wise and calculating, and has thus become a softer and understanding individual than what he was prior. This alone has made many within his circle to call for a truce with the enemy, but Zerdillian knows 30 years of fighting will not wash away the blood stained fields overnight in a truce which dispels the sacrifices of the lives lost during such a turbulent period. What irks the citizens of The Imperium Ager is that no one outside of the military has seen him publicly in two years...

Aurora
Age (at time of death): 37
~ The late wife of Eanmund, as well as Edwin's and Aurin's mother, she is mentioned in flashbacks throughout the story. Her untimely passing during the early stages of the War of the Thorns has been a subject of debate among the many denizens of The Imperium Ager, as she was a well regarded woman, known for her fidelity to her husband, Eanmund. The uncertainties surrounding her passing play a major part in the tale of Blood and Thorns, and the option for you to further explore her part in the story is available to you, the player, should you wish to unravel it and finally provide some much needed closure to a chapter in Edwin's life for good.

Helen
~ Edwin's fiance, she is also the mother of his four year old daughter, Eleanora. She and Edwin are betrothed to get married, however, as the War of the Thorns rages on and nears no victor, their engagements are continually delayed. She and Edwin met while they were teenagers, and she being his secondary school sweetheart, he couldn't bear to live his life without her being a part of it, and she the same for him. Eanmund approved of their union, and the two are now betrothed. She knows she cannot truly be with Edwin until the War of the Thorns is over, but it is her enthusiasm and faith that keeps him going, and it's their marriage which will provide him with a life he so long seeks.

Lord Duncan
~ Emperor of The Kingdom of Essex, he is known as 'Duncan The Dragonheart' for his role in the Dragon Slayings of Harrowdale, an infamous event at the heart of Harrowdale, a well-known nesting ground for dragons. It is said he slayed ten dragons without remorse and displayed explicit bravery in the face of the creatures. As a result of the massacre at Harrowdale, the dragon population is significantly lower now than what it had been for the past one-hundred years, as there were more than 200 dragons existing during that time, and now, there are no more than twenty. This event gave him the nickname, and gave him the power to become King of Essex, as he was reknowned and liked by all. For 30 years, his kingdom has warred with The Imperium Ager over petty things, material things, and as a result, the favor of his countrymen has fallen well below than what he had anticipated. Despite this, however, he wants to finish the war by being victorious, not by truce; apparently, his attitude concerning any kind of life has not changed since the massacre at Harrowdale.

Eudane
Age (at time of death): 71
~ Father of Eanmund, and grandfather of Edwin and Aurin, Eudane was Lord Malcolm's greatest warrior, a true man in the face of adversity. When Lord Zerdillian committed regicide and executed Malcolm, Eudane was overly critical and vocal of his reasoning for doing so, and isolated himself after the incident. Once he fell ill and died, he was placed in a tomb, by order of Zerdillian, in honor of his services to The Imperium Ager, despite the fact the two never got along very well when Eudane was alive. A statue was also erected in his honor, and is placed outside the gates of the imperial capital, Illyria, both warning and welcoming all those who enter and leave her gates. Like Aurora, his part in the tale of Blood and Thorns is played both in flashbacks and in an area of the game where your wits will be tested and your mettle be proved by the steel of your blade and your perseverance to find the answers you seek.

WILL BE UPDATED ACCORDINGLY

This compilation is incomplete

~ Graphics ~
Guardian Knight
Kozou
Mr. Dingo
Mack - Tiles
Vascious - Fire Emblem Facesets

~ Music~
David Orr
George R. Powell
Kazumi Mitome - RPG Maker 3 tracks
Nobuo Uematsu - Lost Odyssey tracks
Selcuk Bor
Trevor Crookston

~ Programming ~
Big Ed 781 - FFIX Menu and Save Scripts
Bulletxt - Thomas Edison Script
Deadly Dan - Title Screen Script
Yanfly - Custom Message System
Zifee - Wait Gauge Battle

Right now, I'm completing the Database and will compile some scripts together before working on the maps and so forth. I want the foundation in order before the actual game. I'd like some feedback, and I will build a Demo soon, and will use the critique in the demo to further build the game.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:19:01 AM by Legion6115 »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
conspiracies cool. This reads pretty good, I like your layout. I say, if you took enough time to make the layout and presentation presentable, that you're working on this actively, so I'm moving it to the Projects instead of New Projects. I hope you post screenshots real soon though. People get a much better feel.

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Thank you, Grafikal. :)

I've updated the thread with three screenshots and some added credits, most notably one being the Wait Gauge Battle System by Zifee. I find it quite adequate and I will be adding some other compatible scripts to make battles more exciting. I will explain the three screenshots added in the following captions;

1) This screenshot is of the Title Screen. I made it on Photoshop using a preset background and the logo of the game, along with editing Deadly Dan's title script to fit my needs. I love it, and the Title BGS is awesome. :D

2) This screenshot takes place during the intro, with Gloucester informing Eanmund, the main character's father, of a secret task he must accomplish, by request of Lord Zerdillian. This scene cuts off at the appropos time - Gloucester giving Eanmund the specifics of the task.

3) This screenshot is inside the Argyl Asylum lobby, an abadoned building where the Imperium Ager kept all the unwanted before the War. I'm making the place as spooky and as atmospheric as I can within the boundaries of the setting I've put into place and within RMVX's capabilities. Needless to say, the building will have a puzzle much like the Silent Hill series' various hospital areas, and it's a key component in the plot.

So, there we have it. I'm using Yanfly's Custom Message script, which is very flexible, and the Thomas Edison script lends a new visual aspect to the scenes, for which I'm very thankful to the scripters. :) The game is coming along swell - I should have some gameplay screenshots by the end of the week, give or take a few days. I'm working on the Demo with a steadfast determination, and the foundations have been built in terms of what it encompasses. This is also my first VX project, which has been in the planning stages for a few months, with countless hours devoted to the plot, characters, and the like. Immeasurable amounts of time have been spent detailing the characters and their plight. My inspirations are Braveheart, Gladiator, and Shakespeare's numerous tragedies, particularly Julius Ceasar and Macbeth. Thank you all for reading.