RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Speak No Evil [Full Game]

Rep:
Level 83
"Stop staring and focus!"
Project of the Month winner for January 2010
"I have no voice! You have silenced me!"

chaosproductions | relyt
speak no evil

The Premise

A young man receives a call from his girlfriend, inviting him over to watch a movie or two. The couple, laying about on the couch, watches the actors onscreen portray their roles as the hours pass. Midnight arrives.

The world ends.

The sky is cast a dark red, and the sun turns as black as coal. Where once the streets were walked by people, they are now host to beings of night, unclean creatures that seek the flesh of the living.

The couple discovers their talent to fend off these creatures, and they flee for their lives.

"What's going on? Are there any survivors? How did this happen? Is it just our city, or is it the entire state? The country? The world? What do we eat? Where do we sleep?

...Can we ever be safe again?
"

The Screenshots

Everything you see here is shitty custom.

The Gameplay

Speak No Evil is styled after the Shin Megami Tensei model of gameplay, and is thus a battle-heavy, relatively difficult experience focused on elemental affinities, labyrinthine dungeons, and bosses that require an understanding of mechanics to defeat.

The most prevalent aspect of the game is the importance of elemental weaknesses. Striking a weakness deals five times more damage than normal - very rare are the occasions where this isn't an instant kill. So, the experimentation with elements, and the discovery of which are effective and which are not, is a central aspect of the game's design. As the player progresses, groups of enemies where one is immune to - or even absorbs - the other's weakness become increasingly common.This might have proven frustrating, had new enemies with new sets of skills appeared in each area. However, Speak No Evil was built to prevent this by re-using enemy species - simply with higher levels. This, in turn, might have lead to a lack of enemy variety. Which is, technically, true - there aren't that many distinct enemy types in this game. There are, however, a large number of enemy troop configurations; and this is the biggest key to Speak No Evil's battles. Enemies that can berserk the player are paired with enemies that are immune to physical attacks; those that are highly vulnerable to magic are paired with those that sap the player's SP. It all comes together to create a situation where the player is constantly threatened, without being ball-bustingly hard.

The Sales Pitch

Speak No Evil is not for everyone. It wasn't designed to welcome new players to the RPG genre. Deaths, while not constant, are to be expected; explanations of what HP is or what Experience Points do aren't given nor expected to be necessary. The game was designed to provide the player with a decent challenge over the course of a mid-length eastern-style RPG. This game uses "fake difficulty" techniques at times, such as enemies that steal the player's SP or ones with unfair elemental affinities, and makes no attempt to hide it.If you want a large about of story, or you absolutely hate dying, I would suggest you turn your attention elsewhere. This game is very light on story, and the difficulty starts high and climbs steadily.

For those of you who want a game that is capable of beating you once in a while, while being perfectly possible to progress in, I would recommend this game to you.

For the masochistic players, there's a HARDCORE mode available after achieving an ending. It's not even remotely fair, in any sense of the word.

The Download

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 06:25:18 AM by ChaosProductions »

Rep:
Level 83
Is Alexander a boy or a girl? He looks like a remade version of the girl.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
They're all the same face, just different hair and skin colors.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi

Is everyone from RMN going to come here?
Hi

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Play nice, people.

It's a good looking game, with an excellent presentation thread. I'll download and give it a try. :3

Rep:
Level 83
They're all the same face, just different hair and skin colors.

Yeah, the jig's up. It's because I'm a lazy son of a I wanted there to be a strong association between the two.

The others have re-done facial structure, but they're all just Alexander edits.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:12:41 AM by ChaosProductions »

Rep:
Level 83
Double Post Late Reply is better than No Reply... I guess...

It took some persuasion to get me to open this back up, let me tell you. But this is it, and it comes with my next game's battle theme as a bonus for those who've been patient enough to stick through.

This better be the final update. *cracks knuckles*

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
this game is strange to me...I tried to play it, and i can't even pass the house part.When i go outside there are like 30 monsters walking on the street, they touch me all the time, i can't beat them...
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week: