RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Magus Magus : Fighting/Shmup Hybrid

Rep:
Level 88

© GPTouch

GAME INFO

Magus Magus is a multiplayer fighting video game with shooting video game
elements.
The game focuses more on long-range attack rather than a close combat like other
fighting games. The play controls are also greatly simplified in comparison to other
fighting games. The game area resembles an arena shooting game, which allow
player to roam around the area freely in all 8 directions.
The game also feature bullet hell elements from bullet hell/curtain fire shooting
games. This ranges from a barrage attack to a special move that turn a character
into a shooting game boss, with the player be able to control the attack pattern.
The game can be played with as many as 4 players at a time, make it suitable for a
light party game. However, the game mechanic is also designed to be deep
enough for hardcore gamers to enjoy.

SETTING

In the future, a super smart dust called 'Magia Dust' was invented. The devices
have an ability to control the natural world within their range, which resembles
something people in the past used to call ‘magic’.
Over the time the art of fighting with Magia, a magic created from Magia Dust,
becomes the world’s most popular sport called “Magus Battle”.
The story starts with a rumor of a secret Magus Battle Tournament with a prize
being ‘one wish will be granted’ has been spread around the world. After all the
elimination rounds, only 8 Magus were able to go on to the next round, which will
be held on an island, far far away. The real tournament has just begun.

CHARACTERS

GAMEPLAY VIDEO

GAME SYSTEM EXPLANATION
:: DOWNLOAD MANUAL HERE ::

I'm hoping to release the demo this month. :)

Rep:
Level 88
Holy crap. That is so damn awesome. You make such awesome games. I'm REALLY looking forward to a demo.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Whoa. O_O

You are a god among the game makers here.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Holy shit.

You are too good for game makers, man.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
This looks awesome.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Hima

I don't know where you keep getting these ideas, but DO NOT STOP.
seriously.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Well damn. I didn't even know the program was capable of that shit. XD

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Touhou-influenced, i presume?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Touhou-influenced, i presume?

Touhou isnt' the only series of bullet hell/bullet curtain games, and most of Hima's work has been that sort of game (well...3/4 games he's shown us thus far).  So it's possible, but not a guarantee.

edit: it looks like Bullet Hell Super Smash Bros.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:57:01 PM by NAMKCOR »

Rep:
Level 88
@Malson
It's many shooting games that influence this, because before I made my first shmup I was playing so many shmup to study the genre. Touhou series was one of them, but it doesn't limit to that though.

And just like NAMKCOR said, this is pretty much Bullet Hell Super Smash Bros.!

Rep:
Level 88

I've decided to remake the game completely and turn it into somewhat 2.5d  ( 3d bg with 2d sprite )

The character sprites will be pre-rendered 3d , so that it's easier to animate XD

Also, this won't be made in Game Maker anymore but C++. I'll report this topic to be moved once I have more info on this C++ version :)

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Very cool, man. Good luck! :D I can't wait!

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
This game is win.
Hi

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
that's pretty awesome man, good luck, I can't wait to see.

Rep:
Level 88

Finally got most of the basic stuffs like the Game Maker version finished. The black tile on the left is a sample of unpassable tile ( though it doesn't block the bullet ).  GUI and most of the stuffs here still placeholder.

This is the furthest zoom out in the game, so it wouldn't get any smaller. But I'd like to know if the characters and bullets are too small. 

I wish I know how to export RM map to a readable file, so that I can just use Rmxp as a stage editor. *sigh*

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
 :tpg: ;8

...awesome I can't wait for this to come out.
Hi

Rep:
Level 88
@Lazer Kirby
Thanks! I can't wait too :D

Got another character model done today. This is Kon Crete, a close combat oriented character.  Most of his attack has close to middle range, and most of his special moves will allow you to get close to your opponent quickly and safely.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
wow. hima seriously just wow. you should try developing an indie game on Xbox live arcade and make money off this stuff.

also  KON CRETE PULL UP YO' PANTS

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)

I hope these are some of the larger bullets in the game. Even the smaller set are still several times larger than the characters.

Rep:
Level 88
wow. hima seriously just wow. you should try developing an indie game on Xbox live arcade and make money off this stuff.

also  KON CRETE PULL UP YO' PANTS

Thanks! I have to learn XNA and C# first though :( Probably after I'm done with this and my college projects and all I'll have time to learn C# and XNA X(.

Also lol at pants comment.  ;D

I hope these are some of the larger bullets in the game. Even the smaller set are still several times larger than the characters.

I'm still experimenting with bullet and character size. I think the character looks ok now and I agree with you that the bullets are too large for a base size. Right now I'm using 16 x 16 size and it looks much better :)  ( though I still needs to test whether they're too small and too easy to dodge. )

As for the development progress, I've implemented a shield and dash system. Shielding and dashing will be your main defensive moves, since they are the easiest to perform.

You can create a shield by holding a D button. Your shield will prevent you from almost any attack with the expense of your magic point. If you run out of magic point while shielding, your shield will break, leaving you vulnerable for a short amount of time. Your magic point will not regenerate while your shield is on.

Dashing can be done by moving a D-pad in any direction while your shield is on. This will make you move really fast and allow you to go through almost any attack. The only downside is that your magic point will be constantly decrease while you're dashing. Making any attack while dashing will force you to stop dashing.

I'm also changing the game resolution to widescreen - 960 x 600. I just found a way to keep the game display ratio on any resolution so I don't have to worry about the game being stretched on 4:3 monitor anymore :D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:59:31 PM by hima »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
hima that looks absolutely boss.
I can't wait to see some videos.

Rep:
Level 88
Ok, here's the video!

It isn't that exciting, mostly because I cannot control 4 characters at the same time and I haven't implemented an AI yet.

Also Piti just remake the Kon model all over and here's the finish product

This should be the last time that we're working with Kon. Next character : Eulgi - the ice queen :D

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I hope the gameplay stays that smooth when the screen is full of bullets.
that looks pretty cool man.

Rep:
Level 88
I hope the gameplay stays that smooth when the screen is full of bullets.
that looks pretty cool man.

I was worried about that too since the bullet pattern part isn't done in C++ but through a scripting language called AngelScript ( This is so that I can testplay and change the script easily without having to recompile ) At first I let each bullet call a script to update themselves, but that slow the game down a lot, making the game able to handle 800 bullets before the FPS drop, which defeat the whole purpose of moving this to C++. ( GM could only handle 700 )

Right now I let the player call the script once each frame , but passing all the bullets to script and now the game run fine even with 2000 bullets :D

Rep:
Level 88
Considering the stage size and everything, we have decided to change the style of the model to be somewhat similar to Namco X Capcom.

Also, Piti got some animation done.

And I feel like the process of prerender this into 2D is kind of tiring. Maybe I'll just go ahead and learn how to load 3d model properly. :crazy: