RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[2k3] [Demo] Final Fantasy: The Phoenix Prophecies

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
Project of the Month winner for May 2009

"Rest assured that He will rise again from the ashes of history, for good or for ill.  The essence of the Divine, no matter how maimed or twisted, possesses immortality; thus, 'tis only a matter of time before He makes his presence felt in our realm once more.  He will come, like a phoenix erupting from a fiery malaise, mercilessly striking down His foes, and generously rewarding the worthy.  If I were you, child, His coming would worry me not.  However, as we humans have to come to realize regarding the nature of the Divine, for every action, for every shift in the cosmos, there occurs something both equal and opposite.  Yes, His arrival may be terrifying for many, but I fear more what comes after; I fear the Divine opposite."
                         -Ramanaster the Third, Chapter II of the Phoenix Prophecies

What begins as the potential destruction of an empire may very well become the potential destruction of an entire planet.

Abandoned after a failed assassination attempt on the Emperor of Nafein, Nickel Arand finds himself running from the law while being light years away from his native planet of Miidrio, light years away from any communication between his home and a technologically primitive world.  While keeping himself out of prison, though, he must contend with the task of blending in with unfamiliar cultures, dangerous monsters, and his own strange catatonic episodes, with only a fleeting hope of someday returing to Miidrio.

This strange new world, though, will not be without its own struggles.  Natural disasters tear up the landscape, nations are at war, and people struggle with famine and drought.  The planet is breaking down like nothing ever seen before in history, or at least, nothing ever remembered from history.  Oddly enough, these catastrophes only began when Nickel arrived...

Highly trained yet highly inexperienced, Nickel Arand, the stranger from another land, will inadvertently become this planet's only hope.
 -----------------------------------------------------------
 Your Cast of Characters

Nickel Arand, Employee of the Black Hand, Career Assassin
 Special Training: Stealth and Time Magic
 Bio: Nickel Arand sets the new standard in hired killing.  Perfect in every dimension of the art, Arand graduated at the top of his class at the Black Hand's elite school.  None previously have set the amazingly high marks that he has, and so he has single handedly created new standards for excellence at the academy. An individualistic lone wolf, Arand contends with perplexing catatonic episodes.  Luckily for him, his performance in the classroom allowed him to set his own schedule with instructors.  For all of his training and performance, though, Nickel Arand is still extremely inexperienced.  After a few minor jobs, he is finally introduced to the target of a life time, an emperor.  He comes to this new planet with the intent of collecting both respect and a lucrative bounty.

Tyria Monisa, Heiress to the Nafein Empire
 Special Training: Disruption and White Magic
 Bio: A calm demeanor hides the wild nature of Tyria Monisa, the young heiress to the largest empire in the realm.  She seems to be in perpetual self doubt, as the Emperor of Nafein has made it publically known that he is desperate for a son to ascend to the throne.  Tyria immediately become more reclusive since hearing these words and thus has turned to studying the magical arts.  Without an instructor, she has made fantastic progress in her development.  Tyria, even in finding some solace in the power of magic, still sometimes contemplates how easy it would be just to poison her father's drink or to smother him with a pillow.  She should know, she's practiced on a few guards.

Corean Popol, Lost Wanderer
 Special Training: Black Magic
 Bio: Veteran of more wars than he cares to count, Corean Popol has been groomed to be a black mage since his birth, a function of his Lysoz culture.  He is always pursuing a life that has meaning outside of his ability to cause pain to others, even abandoning the arts at one point.  Corean currently wanders the realm, trying to meet people and learn their crafts.  Not particularly good at any of them, he still tries to find a niche in a peaceful society.  Perhaps it is fate, or perhaps just terrible luck, but he has never been able to find a healer to apprentice under, which he claims would be his dream job.  His latest exploits have lead him to the Kingdom of Votier.

Jyxon Gemmel, Woodsman and Guide
 Special Training: Axes and Cooking
 Bio: Jyxon Gemmel is the result of orphaning a stubborn six year old child in a forest.  The first five years or so of his abandoned existence were admittedly rough, dealing with monsters ten times his size while coping with the elements, not to mention catching his own food, boiling his own water, and making his own shelter.  At age fifteen, Gemmel finally tried to leave the woods, but found life in the cities too complex.  That said, he did find one redeeming characteristic: the food was fantastic.  Caught in this dilemma, Jyxon decided to provide guided tours of the woods, as well as providing shortcuts and maps for travelers wanting to make it out of forest quickly and unharmed.  Though it did not start particularly well, Jyxon eventually started to do good enough business to buy choice ingredients from the market.  Through his experiences as a guide, Jyxon Gemmel also developed a gift of gab that would defy his lack of education.

Romerhis Graaves, Scholar and Opportunist
 Special Training: Magic of All Kinds and Academia
 Bio:  After inheriting a fortune from his father's death, Romerhis has spent the vast majority of his adult life studying in the library.  A wealthy individual, he never needs to, nor does he, leave the castle in which he was born.  Such seclusion has developed in Romerhis a terrible antisocial personality.  It is not that he wishes to do harm to people though, he just cannot stand them.  That said, he did away with all of his servants at the age of eighteen and has since been all alone to his studies, taking care of himself.  Romerhis, in the meantime, has developed unsurpassed magical abilities despite a frail frame.  He recognizes that he must leave the castle eventually, but is only willing to come out after he has found his true purpose, his true calling.

Eilana Enkili, Sorceress and Seeker of Power
 Special Training: Swordplay, Illusion, and Enchanting Magic
 Bio: Ruler of vast southern territory, Eilana Enkili is a cruel matriarch with a penchant for being cold and meticulous.  Not particularly well read for her social status, she mainly relies on hired scholars for her information, which, due to a lack of real resources, is sometimes outdated and inaccurate.  That aside, Eilana is rarely kept away from her goals, whether they be power, wealth, or slaves for her Queendom.  Furthermore, she is a master manipulator with magical abilities to bolster that characteristic, making her as dangerous at the negotiating table as she is on the battle field.  Rumor has it that she now seeks the original copies of the Phoenix Prophecies, documents pertaining to a coming power, how to stop that power, and more relevant, how to harnass that power.  Nothing has yet been found.
 Features

-Custom Battle System that includes:
      *animated HUDS
      *Action Battle System mechanics
      *Squad Based battles
      *Summoning
      *Quick Item menu
      *All the spells and abilities that you've come to love about Final Fantasy
 -Custom Menu System with all of the essentials
 -Action Icons to alert you as to when things may be examined, pushed, talked to, etc...
 -Minimap
 -Make your weapons your own with weapon modifications, thousands of possibilities
 -Side quests and minigames, of course
 -Stealth system
 -More to be unveiled later!
 Screenshots

Spoiler for The Burden:

Spoiler for The Perseus:

Spoiler for Custom Menu, All the Fixings:

Spoiler for The Path to Votier:

Spoiler for Osgiliath Desert:

Spoiler for A Message From God:

Spoiler for A City On Fire:

Spoiler for The Work Camp: Fanthorn:

Spoiler for Queens and Thieves:

Spoiler for The Path of Fallen Stars:

Spoiler for A Twist In Time:

Spoiler for Home of Revolution:

Spoiler for Blackmoon Peaks:

*New*
Spoiler for Site of a Last Stand:

How You Can Help

Can you map?  Can you sprite?  Can you create music?  Can you event?  With a project of this size, of this magnitude, I will accept help no matter what form it comes in, just let me know what you'd like to do!  PM would probably be the way to go.

Current Teammates:
RPG Messiah: Battle System Coordinator
 Final Notes

This will be my last game everyone, I'm not going to hold anything back.  More than that though, I want this project to be able to help anyone making a game, so I'm making all of the coding with a ton of comments to demonstrate exactly what I'm doing and for what purpose.  From the ABS to the CMS, you should be able to pick up all of my little tips and tricks from this game.  Think of it as a huge tutorial.

Thanks for reading!

*Final Fantasy is a trademark of SquareEnix

Known Bugs:
Occasionally players will get stuck in the first boss's graphic.  Causes are of now unknown.  Once I am able to replicate the problem, I will fix it.

Demo Link:
http://www.angel-spire.com/FFPP.zip
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2NNLM2MW

Support Userbar:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:42:23 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
It looks really good. The custom systems are especially impressive, considering it is in 2k3 - you must be a good eventer. Anyway, I wish you luck with this project and I will try it out soon.

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
Thanks ^_^.

For the first time in a long time, I didn't get flamed by the first person responding to my project XD

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Well, that's something I guess :P

Rep:
Level 97
Double post I know, but:

I got an error when trying to open the game: "The file system2a cannot be opened"

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
Which mirror are you using? With 7000 downloads, you're the first one to report such an error, it worries me XD

Rep:
Level 97
:P It might be a problem with my version of 2k3. I used the angelspire one though.

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
Try the megaupload mirror for now. If neither version works (which definitely means it's just you XD), you can just name an RTP system set appropriately and dump into the System folder.

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
Popping in to say that the "end of August" deadline I set for myself for the completed Part I isn't looking very realistic.  RPG Messiah, my battle system coordinator, fell a little bit behind over the summer and I don't think we can make up the ground in time.

Progress on my end is still going well, and I finally eclipsed the 200 map mark.  I'll probably edit this post with some new screens when I get the chance ^_^.

Thanks for reading!

Rep:
Level 97
Alright, well just keep working at it and have fun. I am looking forward to the new demo whenever it will come out.

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
*Moved to original post*
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:57:10 AM by madriel222 »

Rep:
Level 85
[s][s]twat[/s][/s]
This looks absolutely fantastic... You have actually preserved the "Feel" of the SNES FF games and Secret Of Mana. Well done.
http://billybullshot.blogspot.com

Go here and play my game.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
this game looks amazing.
the title isn't much of a draw, but wow, it looks absolutely awesome

I cant wait to play it :D

hope the story turns out as well as the mapping/eventing
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:45:43 PM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 85
[s][s]twat[/s][/s]
Yeah, I would've preferred "The Phoenix Prochecy", but it's still a cool title, just not very FF-esque
http://billybullshot.blogspot.com

Go here and play my game.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Some of the sprites really don't blend into the tilesets, but other than that it does look like a real neato SNES game.

I hope you get some nice gameplay punched in there
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
Game status since my last, albeit ancient, post here:

Behemoth has joined the team to team up with RPG Messiah in coordinating the battles.  Most of you know him for his scripting prowess, and though he won't be able to showcase that skill here, he's turning out some wonderful work.

As far as gameplay, the FFPP has nearly tripled in size, reaching between 3 and 4 hours of play.  That's not including a successful play through of any of the optional mini games, so expect the next release to have plenty of meaningful content.

When is the next release?  Hard to say.  I'm a little torn between whether I want to wait until Part I is complete or release the sizable portion I have now.  Most people want me to hold off, so that's probably what I'll end up doing.

New screens?  Don't think so.  If you look above, you probably can get a great feel for what the game looks like; I don't feel the need to give you any more freebies ;).

Take care everyone, thanks for reading ^_^

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
OK, here's the thing:

Your game looks great. It's like a throwback to quality RPGs on the SNES, or even the GBA if ya nasty. The only thing is, that title has got to go. This doesn't really have anything to do with Final Fantasy, and the title detracts from people's willingness to play it. I bet if you came up with an original title, you'd have a lot more people playing.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I just noticed.  Skill Icons == Guild Wars.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
I here that a lot, but there is a method to my madness, at least I like to think so XD.

Unlike many other developers of fan-games, I've done a considerable amount of research trying to answer the question: "Just what makes a Final Fantasy?"  Simply playing through the main series (I-XII) was one method of gathering information.  Through those extensive play sessions really focusing on the "literature" that is Final Fantasy (watching key scenes over and over again, dissecting the dialogue and the plot structure, among other methods), I believe I've found a strong enough base on which to craft my story.  Don't think the research was just limited to playing through, though.  After all, I could be missing something, or artificially creating similarities that do not exist.  Interviewing the likes of Yoshinori Kitase (director of FFVIII) and Yasumi Matsuno (director/producer of FFXII), I was able to get their input, which provided an immense amount of insight.  I am not, by any stretch, copying the work of the previous installments; instead, I am drawing upon the common elements that I have found via research in order to create a consistency with these installments.  What were the common themes that hold FFX with say FFVII?  That hold FFXII with FFIX?  I think, now, I have a pretty good understanding of what it really means to make a Final Fantasy, and I'm going to do my best to put that understanding into practice.

I really do appreciate your concern, Holk.  Thanks for the comment ^_^

@Nam: Yep. Good eye.

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, this project still looks amazing. I can't wait. Also you interviewed those guys? crazy.

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Hey, this looks pretty cool. FF fan-games are so difficult to make right so I wish you the best of luck.

I will try your demo out now and tell you what I think. :D

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
There has been an absolute breakthrough.

With the help of Modern Algebra, I've come up with an event system that allows for overlays of any size to be perfectly placed on any map regardless of from where the player enters the map. Just in words this probably doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but there are a ton of things I can do graphically now with this system that were previously just dreams. Because I want consistency in my graphics, I'll implement this system into the game in one big go. You'll be able to tell the difference when I do though, and I hope that'll be for the completed part 1 release ^_^

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Downloading now, I'll give you some feedback.  :)

Rep:
Level 97
Congratulations! LinkMasTer, April's Project of the Month creator, has chosen this project as the Project of the Month for May! The project looks great and is definitely a worthy candidate :)

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
As of now:

-Cities of Krysta and Pristine are finished. Blackmoon Peaks, a currently nameless forested area, and Rovera Keep are in the final stages of development.

-Action icons now fade in and out, instead of appearing and disappearing instantly.

-Overlays applied to 3/4 of the maps, more to come.

-The completed part 1 can be released as fast as RPG Messiah can work on the battles. Just about everything is tied up from my end.