RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Skills that cost HP

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Skills that cost HP
Version: 1.2
Author: modern algebra
Date: February 27, 2008

Description

This script allows you to assign hp cost to skills. This means that you can make it so that a skill can hurt (or heal) the user when he casts it.

Features

• Allows skills to have an HP basic cost, as well as a percentage cost
  • Very intuitive configuration; it is easy to set up

Instructions

See inside the header for instructions

Script

Code: [Select]
#======================================================================
#  Skills with HP Cost
#  Author: modern algebra (rmrk.net)
#  Version: 1.2
#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#    Instructions:
#      Set up the database below according to instructions
# ** RPG::Skill

class RPG::Skill
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  # * HP Cost
  def hp_cost
    # Default value for skills with undefined HP cost
    cost, percent = 0, 0
    case @id
    #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    # * Editable Region
    #-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #  For each skill to which you want to assign an hp_cost, set it up like so:
    #      when skill ID
    #         cost = <the amount of HP that you want to subtract from the user. If the number is
    #                     negative, then the user of the skill will be healed by that amount>
    #         percent = <the percentage of max HP you wish to subtract from the user. If negative,
    #                             then the user of the skill will be healed by that percentage>
    #
    #  There are a couple of examples below. Feel free to delete them once you understand
    #  what is required of you
    when 1  # Skill #1 in database
      cost = 10 # The amount of HP to subtract from user
      percent = 20 # The % of maxhp to subtract from user
    when 5
      cost = 100
    when 33
      percent = 10
    end
    percent = percent.to_f / 100
    return cost, percent
  end
end

#=====================================================================
# ** Game_Battler
#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#  Summary of Changes:
#      aliased methods - skill_can_use?, skill_effect
#=====================================================================

class Game_Battler
  # * Skill Can Use?
  #-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  #  Added a requirement that a skill cannot be used if the user's HP is less than the HP Cost
  alias modalg_hp_cost_skills_can_use? skill_can_use?
  def skill_can_use? (skill)
    if !skill.nil?
      basic, percent = skill.hp_cost
      return false if (basic + (percent*maxhp).to_i) > hp
    end
    return modalg_hp_cost_skills_can_use? (skill)
  end
end

class Scene_Skill
  # * Skill Effect
  #  Subtract the HP Cost from the user
  alias modalg_hp_cost_useskill_7uj3 use_skill_nontarget
  def use_skill_nontarget (*args)
    if !@skill.nil?
      basic, percent = @skill.hp_cost
      @actor.hp -= ((percent*@actor.maxhp).to_i + basic)
    end
    modalg_hp_cost_useskill_7uj3  (*args)
  end
end

class Scene_Battle
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Execute Battle Action: Skill
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  alias mala_hpcost_excut_skill_6yh1 execute_action_skill
  def execute_action_skill (*args)
    mala_hpcost_excut_skill_6yh1 (*args)
    if @active_battler && @active_battler.action && @active_battler.action.skill
      basic, percent = @active_battler.action.skill.hp_cost
      @active_battler.hp -= ((percent*@active_battler.maxhp).to_i + basic)
    end
  end
end

Credit

• modern algebra

Thanks

• Johnny Intergalactic Man, for requesting the script

Support

Just post in this topic at rmrk for quick support. I wrote this script very quickly and have not done any extensive testing, so please inform me if any issues arise.

Known Compatibility Issues

It should be compatible with any script that does not perform the same function as this one. If any issues arise, I will be happy to fix them for you.

Creative Commons License
This script by modern algebra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 12:25:54 PM by modern algebra »

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
What's with these people?!?
This could come in handy for healing spells. Though it would be better if you could set a percentage value or a random value between numbers... But so far this sounds good. I'm definitely using this!

EDIT: I guess not! XD It only works for the user. Oh well. Could come to use sometime.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:14:09 AM by GasparXR »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
You can set healing spells in the database normally. Just set the damage effect to a negative value.

What's with these people?!?
I know that, but it's a random value. I guess that's okay though, that's why there's such a thing as updating =P I remember in 2000 that you could set a spell to heal... I'll have to check it again.

Rep:
Level 97
random? set variance, pdef_f, and mdef_f to 0 and it will do the exact amount you set in basic effect

Rep:
Level 86
CHAINSAW!!
hate to rain on ur parade but.... this could be done with common events =P
I have:
GM7
RPGXP
RPGVX
FPS Creator
Cube 2
3D Gamemaker (SHITBOX!)

WIP stats:
RPGVX:
none, just experimenting with random events...

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, I know that, but it's easier through a script like this.

And also, you aren't able to disable the skill easily if the hero doesn't have enough HP to cast it through events. It's a huge pain. With scripts, it simply doesn't allow you to use the skill if you don't have enough HP to do so.

This script also works with MP.  You just have to change few things that have hp in the script. 

Rep:
Level 97
You can set the skill to decrease the user's MP through the database :P

Yea. but I wonder we can modify the script to do percent instead.

Rep:
Level 84
Yes...Very good script..

I might use this script..
If I found bug or other error I will post in this thread...

Thank you~^^

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
This is awesome! Thanks a lot.

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
A win = a fail at failing... So a Win = a Fail.
Does this work with GubiD's Tactical Battle System VX?
I couldnt get it working on there for some reason. If there is a patch to make it work, or if you know it doesn't work, please get back to me on this one.

Thanks a lot.           Jesse

Ps. You have made all of my favourite work. (Not a big Yanfly fan, not saying Yanfly is bad, just an opinion)

Rep:
Level 97
I don't know if it works with GubiD or not, but I would think it strange not to. Have you tried putting this script below Gubid's TBS in the Script Editor. It should still be above Main.

And thanks for the compliment.

Yeah, I've tried that. I'm not too skilled at scripting in general, but if I have a problem I can usually find a solution... But this eludes me at every turn... Theres no errors. No leads... Just... Nothing.

Rep:
Level 97
So there aren't any errors or anything - it just isn't being applied?

EDIT::

I just downloaded and tested - it worked for me - the HP was reduced, though there was no damage popup.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 08:21:00 PM by Owyn »

Hmm, I didnt even get that much out of it... What exactly did you do then? I may have written it wrong, or in the wrong place. Hence the fact that Im only human.  xD Lol. And thanks for your help.

Rep:
Level 97
All I did was put it directly above Main and below all parts of Gubid's script

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
This looks nice...

but I want one for RMXP ;_;
Hi

Rep: +0/-0Level 79
RMRK Junior
Hello,
I got an error when using this script.  The error comes when I attempt to use the skill of a hero who does not have any skills yet.

line 61: NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method 'hp_cost' for nil:NilClass

Thanks a bunch!

Rep:
Level 97
I updated the script in the main post. Replace your version with that and see if it works.

Rep: +0/-0Level 79
RMRK Junior
It works perfectly now! Thanks for your quick responses.  I'm using a lot of your scripts because they are just too useful to pass up.  ;D

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
RMRK Junior
Would it be possible to make something with a state like if inflicted with a state all skills that require MP will use up HP instead?

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
I smell my 13th class - heh heh heh :zwink:, the Bloodmage. Great job yet again.

Rep: +0/-0Level 81
RMRK Junior
hi would it be at all possible to have it so it shows the hp cost with the skill like it dse for mp