RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RM2k, RM2k3 & maybe RMXP?] Cooking event system MENU

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
This is only the graphic part of a cooking system tutorial I did, so to use this, you will need to know the basics of the cooking system from HERE.

NOTE: In this tutorial I will be skipping on "How to make the menu map" as I will be attatching a demo to the thread"

Tezuka's Cooking Event System Menu Tutorial

This a tutorial showing how to make a menu for the cooking system, I did this in RPG Maker 2003, but I am certain it can be used in RPG Maker XP as well, a tester will be highly appreciated.

Step 1:

First, goto the Database and goto Common Event. Choose where you want the system event to go, you can choose anywhere, make sure you choose "Parallel Process" under "Trigger" after you chose where it wants to go.

Step 2:

Once you have chosen the Common Event, double-click an event spot in it and look for "Key Input Processing" as can be shown here:

Once found, click it and pick a switch, naming it whatever you wish but with these options:

If you already have something else using number, choose other keys that you will not use.

Step 3:

Now you will need to make a message, followed by a choice. This is very basic for all RPG Makers, so not much knowledge is needed to follow this part. Use the command "Message" and create a message of your choice, asking to goto the Cooking menu e.g. Would you like to goto the Cooking Menu? Follwed by a "Show Choices" command asking "Yes" or "No". By now, it should be looking very similar to this:

Step 4:

Now we need to start the moving to menu part. In the "Yes" handler of the event, add a "Tint Screen" event;

Then make sure you make it Tint to pitch black and NOT waiting for transition:

Make sure you make a wait period of at least 0.5 longer than the transition time, this will hide visual events that will be happening while teleporting to the menu. One of these is "Change Sprite Association", which will change the character's form, for the this event, the character will changing into a cursor.

I only have Zack in my party, so I will only need to change his sprite to a cursor.

So far your event should look like similar to this:

Step 5:

Now we have the graphical transition in place, we need to make it so when you goto the menu, it teleports you back to where you came from, for this, we will use "Memorize Position" and three switches. Name three Switches "C Place ID", "C Place X" and "C Place Y", these will be used to memorize the character position and allow them to go back to there original location. After all this is done, find the "Memorize Position" event.....

....and add like so:

After this is done, make a teleport event to your menu and after that a Tint Screen event to bring the color back, which would make it look like this:

Step 5:

Now we are at the menu, here we will have to create the things too cook, this bit will take a bit of concentration.

First, we use a "Alphabet Character Set", a character set with the whole alphabet on it, sadly I only know English, so I am sorry for not making this tutorial for more than one language. ;9

Anyway, we use the character set, using the "?" in it, this will be used to show that the item that can be cooked cannot be cooked yet for some reason i.e. not found the recipe. To make it a bit more stylish, add a lot of "?" on one line, like so:

It should now look like this:

Also make sure the graphic is set to "Fixed graphic" or the wrong letter may appear.

Now, with the "?" event you just created, make a new page, this page will be used to show the letters of the recipe, example; when the recipe for a sandwich is found, it will pull a switch, changing the "?" to "Sandwich".

In the new page, create a switch which will make the recipe available, like "Sandwich get";

Also make sure this is set to Fixed graphic.

Make sure every "?" event has the right letter on there second page. You can also add an icon at the front of the recipe name. If you are going to use the cursor, make sure the action event to create the sandwich is one square lower than the name:

Ignore the middle event as that was only for me testing something out.

To make an exit, you just need to do what you did for the recipes, but don't use "?", just make it type out "Exit" on a Fixed graphic event and use the actual exit event action square one square lower than the name. Use these commands in the exit event:

Change the Recall Posstions to yours and Sprite Associations to the characters you will use.

Last Step:

The last step is fairly simple, goto my other thread "See above" showing the actual cooking script, changing the message from "What do you want to cook" to "Cook x", x being the food of choice.

Here is a quick clip of what I mean and the switch being pulled:

The menu can be as big as you want and you can use a Tileset if you don't want to use Panoramas, all graphics used are in the RAR, including the Alphabet character set.

Any bugs or problems with this, please do not hesitate to post or PM me.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 03:05:03 PM by Tezuka »

Rep:
Level 89
Let's attack agressively.
Very nice, I better check if I can do it in XP...

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
Thanks again AlienSoldier, let me know the result.

Fixed grammar in the tutorial.

Rep:
Level 89
Let's attack agressively.
Hmm... a bit hard to do with XP, let me see what I can come up with.