RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RPG Maker XP. What are it's pros and cons over 2K3?

Rep:
Level 87
Fighter: This is called a Random Encounter.
The Subject says it all.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
Not much, really. The biggest difference is the use of the Scripting System and how it is much more flexible and easier to use than events/eventing everything . Also, there is the difference in the graphics: RPG Maker XP's graphics are much more smoother. However, RPG Maker 2003 holdds onto the graphics of the old days of RPGs.

I don't know of many Pros or cons, it all depends on what you like I guess.

Rep:
Level 87
Scripting system? What does that mean? When I tried it out, it had the same simple interface as RM2K and 2K3.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
Inserting Scripts and such, which is why we have a Scripts Subfourm here. RPG Maker 2003 does not have that feature and thus CMS's (Custom Menu Systems) and CBS's (Custom Battle Systems) have to be made all through events. However, I've seen tons more great battle systems and Menus come from 2003 than I have from XP as of yet.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Scripting: Basically it allows you to write in new commands for the program (if you know how to script), you can edit and add things that would be impossible to do in 2k3.

One of the cons, is that XP doesn't have a soul, unlike 2k3 and it has a heart as black as coal.

Rep:
Level 87
Not sure I get that last part. Anyway, is there a tutorial here that teaches you how to make scripts?

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
"Making Scripts" is not as easy a it sounds. You first have to learn the scripting language (I forget what kind you use for XP..I think it's Ruby or something) and then other things as well. But I'm not a person who knows much about this, seeing as I use 2K3 myself. If you need to know about Scripts and such ask Blizzard.

Rep:
Level 87
Blizzard eh? OK. Thanks Lavata.

Rep:
Level 87
It uses a cut-down version of Ruby, called RGSS, which is short for Ruby Game Scripting System. You say it's not easy? If you know another language, it is.

I use 2k3 because the graphics own, and XP has useless features, and also 2k3 has some features that XP doesn't have.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
Ah, finally! Another 2K3 user! ;D

I was thinking that it was called something along those lines. However..I could not remember.

Rep:
Level 87
I use 2K3. I prefer it over the others.

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
I have both but use Xp more.
I only use XP because I had it first and I don't have the time these days to learn 2k3.

Rep:
Level 87
I just tried XP. It's terrible. It lacks some of the auto events that 2K and 2K3 have, and...well, I just don't like it. 2K and 2K3 all the way.

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
Auto events? Waht?

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
It uses a cut-down version of Ruby, called RGSS, which is short for Ruby Game Scripting System. You say it's not easy? If you know another language, it is.

I use 2k3 because the graphics own, and XP has useless features, and also 2k3 has some features that XP doesn't have.

All features from 2k3 can be put in to XP by the use of scripts.

RPG maker XP is best if you don't want 2k3s battle system and such. If you can script, the choice is obvious. Also, RMXP can have commerical games, I don't believe 2k3 can legally release games.

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
However RPG Maker XP is a tad limited in the graphics department over 2003, which has an almost endless library of graphics from all sorts of SNES and NES games. Some may also find RPG maker 2003's/2000s graphics superior to Xp's (this being those who like the old RPGs, like myself.)

The Legend Of The Philosophers Stone is a great RPG maker 2003 game and has custom CBS's and CMSs which outclass any RPG Maker XP game I have currently played.

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
If you really want to, it's not that hard to switch graphics, I'm pretty sure I saw a tileset converter from 2k3 to XP.

Could you post a link to the stone game, it sounds interesting.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
This is the link. It's quite fun so far, I have to say, though I have not gotten very far. Story so far is kind of cliche, but I've never minded cliches as long as the systems are interesting, and so far they are.

http://www.gamingw.net/forums/index.php?topic=58933.0

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
It's an awsome game in my opinion. One of the very best for any RPG Maker. The plot may be a tad on the cliche side, but it's pulled off failry well and the characters actually have life. The maps are also ful of life and have much detail, yet are not filled with useless crap.

If you have dedication and you know how, you can make one hell of a custom game.