RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Caterpillar

Rep:
Level 86
Ok, I looked at the evented catipiller thing, and for some reason I can't make it work on RPG Maker XP.  I can't find the move event, the only event avalible that will move anything moves the main char, and not the event itself. The only way I can make the event move it using the "Autonomous Movement" option, which.... doesn't really work for the catipillar thing.... *sighs* and even with it moving my char, I can't make it so I can turn to them and talk, because the following moveent its a parallel process, makeing it (as far as I can tell) impossible to also have an "Action Button" Event.

I'm sorry if I'm being difficult.  I'm really not trying to be  ;) I'm just all turned around....

"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

OK, so what's the speed of dark?
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Since there's a duck-billed platapus, is there just a plain platapus? If so... what does that look like?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
No, when you go to move event:

Ignore the red, it was for someone else, but notice at the top left there is a drop down menu that is currently set on player? You can change that to whatever event is on the map at the time.

Also, you can transfer the movement into a separate parallel process event, thus freeing their screens for action key.

Rep:
Level 86
ooooooooooooooooh.... *blush* hehe.... thanks, That makes sense.... can't beleive I missed that.... *blush*

Since there's a duck-billed platapus, is there just a plain platapus? If so... what does that look like?

Rep:
Level 87
I made a cute little evented system like this for a game I was doing for my son.  Give me a few minutes to check it out and I'll post it.
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.

Rep:
Level 86
yey! ok, now that I got that working.... urm.... I made it through, because other wise the event can walk over the bridge I made appear though an event.... ( don't know why that is but *shrugs*) so now he is walking over everything water, trees..... me!  How do I keep it from walking over these things, but able to walk over things I'm able to walk over?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Rather then through, try setting him to Always on Top. I am not sure if it would work, honestly, but try it, and if it doesn't I will look for a way to bypass the problem.

Rep:
Level 86
*sigh* alas... that doesn't work, and while parallel process does work, its making it so I can use the other events.... which, I think defeats the purpose of parallel process.... *shrugs*  just as a test I made it so he would say hello if I used an action key while touching/facing him.  and it also covers up my graphics of anything but the parallel process.  See, what I'm doing is allowing the main char to pick who they want as their companion/party member, and then they appear, and walk up to them, and follow them.  but, not being able to cross the bridge, and not being able to use the action button evnet, I can't make them back up to let me through, or anything else for that matter. 

** By the way, thanks for all the help  ;8

Rep:
Level 87
Here's the little system I did. 
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,22248.0.html

You might be able to adapt that.  At the moment, the SHIFT button makes any followers take a step back (in case you get stuck somewhere) - you might be able to adapt it to allow the action button.  Not sure how hard it would be with the way I've done this - I've used common events.
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
 I get this error on line 145 that says this

Script line 145:  ArgumentError Occured. 

Wrong number of arguments (1 for 0)

This happens whenever I start a new game.

Rep:
Level 86
hmmm... I dunno, I'm not useing the script from the beggining of the thread, what does line 145 say on it? maybe I can try to help (though I'm not the most versed in script) 

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
Awesome work. Works great. Thank you.

Have been looking for this sort of thing for a long, long time.

;D
You dropped your pockets.

Rep:
Level 86
i like Ichigo script better(old one) this script makes my last character animate even if I'm just standing.

Rep:
Level 86
I hate everyone except the ones I don't hate...
I gotta say- this script rox!! But would it be possible to do so that you cannot go "through" the other party members? Say you want to make a snake type of mini game? Apart from that small idea, I think this script rocks! It's really cool! :D
I wonder how many of my-reps are there for a reason, and not just because some jackass wanted to show off in front of some other jackasses...?
Probably a lot of them - and those people sure as hell don't deserve my pity, let alone my disgust.
That's right, let's see some more -Rep'ing! BOOYEAH!!

Rep:
Level 86
Thanks, it works smooth now except for one thing: Whenever I don't walk around you can still see the second and third party members animating (walking), do you know how I can fix this?

lmao...thats what blizzard changed the script to do...

But that makes no sense at all! If YOU stop animating, then THEY should stop animating too (walking)!
I wonder how many of my-reps are there for a reason, and not just because some jackass wanted to show off in front of some other jackasses...?
Probably a lot of them - and those people sure as hell don't deserve my pity, let alone my disgust.

Rep:
Level 97
Well, it is intended for party members who should not stop animating, for instance a flying party member should continue flapping it's wings even when you are standing still, and the addition that Blizzard made was that you could specify which actors should animate even when standing still. People should read directions, and then they would know not only why but where to specify which actors ought to have that feature.  :police:

Rep:
Level 86
Oh ok, heeh, well then I'll read those directions- but couldn't I just use Shen's Catterpillar script?

Rep:
Level 97
I don't know what Shen's caterpillar script is, but you can use whatever script (or event system) you like.

Rep:
Level 86
I guess so, but while I'm at it (2 weeks afterwards XD), I think it was Shaz's script it was called, and I found one now where it doesn't make the other characters behind you animate when not walking. It looks clumsy though, as they all walk with excact same footsteps (right, left, right, left - you'd think they were in the army :(). I'll only give a link if neccesarry. I'm tired. Besides, I found it on (NAMCKOR, please don't comment on this, for I know what you've said and I think about it every time I do this, okay, so don't get irritated or anything, please) google for a catterpillar script, and I found it on some french side, with some Juan linking to a script made by someone with a very weird  and long name (it was also a forum- french as I just said). Besides, I found out for some reason that only the second party member was animating when not moving, not the rest. When I removed the second, all the others moved as before after the leader (first party member ::) :P)

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Hah, people really do need to read directions, in 20 seconds I realized how to prevent animation when standing still XD

Rep:
Level 86
You mean the "Stopped animation" part of the comments? Because that says nothing about it, and has nothing to do with it, and is frigging unclear.

Rep:
Level 97
lol, how does that have nothing to do with it? It says flat out that if you want a character to animate when not moving, then put his ID in the array. Otherwise, don't :P

Rep:
Level 91
Yeah, unless the comments lied, put his ID in the array if you want 'im to move.

Rep:
Level 86
Okay, okay. But it doesn't say AS clear as you two pointed out. It's all stuff with "Put ID of those who animates and then some weird stuff, and it says "it looks weird if they're like floating in air when not moving" or something like that. <= Not very clear, but I haven't got the script opened right now, so sry. But thx for explaining anyways. This is useful for my (kinda) new game...

Rep:
Level 91
# Put any actor IDs who should have a "stopped animation" if in the caterpillar
# i.e. if a party member "is floating" it will look stupid if he suddenly stops
# moving in the air.
# - added by Blizzard
ACTOR_IDS = [2, 3, 4]

Sounds quite clear to me.

Rep:
Level 86
Sounds weird with the comments having no kind of punctuation in it to me. And it is weird. I mean, when is "Stopped Animation" and what about "is floating". But alright, I got my answers, no need to continue and argument with no sense in it (as my father always says when I'm getting my little sister back for being mean and annoying- which she always is...)