RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Arlen's List of "Things RPGs Need Moar Of."

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I really have to disagree with Blizzard and ZaMullet. RPG quality is going way way up. Many RPGs have branched away from the traditional(read: boring) RPG formula. I've had alot of fun with games like Star Ocean 3, the Shadow Hearts series, and perhaps more notably Valkyrie Profile and Valkyrie Profile 2. I haven't played FFXII yet, but it also seems to take an innovative look at how RPGs should be played. Also, there is now a market in the United States for SRPGs. We've gotten quite a few of them recently and they are all delicious. I don't miss the days when I was a kid and the only SRPG I could get my hands on in english was Shining Force. Like Fu said, the Front Mission games are excelent, but the first one never even came to the US becuase there wasn't a market for that kind of game here. The future of RPGs is a promising one, and theres only room for improvement. Both gameplay innovation and graphics have taken giant leaps since the 16-bit days. There will always be a spot on my heart for the classics, but from what I've seen RPGs are only getting better and better.
TAKE ME, NOW :O

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I really have to disagree with Blizzard and ZaMullet. RPG quality is going way way up. Many RPGs have branched away from the traditional(read: boring) RPG formula. I've had alot of fun with games like Star Ocean 3, the Shadow Hearts series, and perhaps more notably Valkyrie Profile and Valkyrie Profile 2. I haven't played FFXII yet, but it also seems to take an innovative look at how RPGs should be played. Also, there is now a market in the United States for SRPGs. We've gotten quite a few of them recently and they are all delicious. I don't miss the days when I was a kid and the only SRPG I could get my hands on in english was Shining Force. Like Fu said, the Front Mission games are excelent, but the first one never even came to the US becuase there wasn't a market for that kind of game here. The future of RPGs is a promising one, and theres only room for improvement. Both gameplay innovation and graphics have taken giant leaps since the 16-bit days. There will always be a spot on my heart for the classics, but from what I've seen RPGs are only getting better and better.

Your thesis holds true if RPG Maker is excluded.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Most RPG Maker games are destined to be shitty anyways. I see how the superior graphics and customability of RPG Maker XP does take some focus away from gameplay, but I think anyone who gets caught up in that is unlikely to make a very good game anyways.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I wouldn't say they're destined to be shitty at all; rather, that they make it easy for 12 year olds to make their own cliche terrible game. RPG Maker games can be excellent so long as the person making the game is dedicated enough to it, and clever enough to conjure up some great ideas, and this is true of every other game being made for any system.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
The easiness and accessability is what makes the games more likely to be shitty. The less effort required, the less effort is likely to be used.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I wouldn't say they're destined to be shitty at all; rather, that they make it easy for 12 year olds to make their own cliche terrible game. RPG Maker games can be excellent so long as the person making the game is dedicated enough to it, and clever enough to conjure up some great ideas, and this is true of every other game being made for any system.

CONCORDO!

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Also concordo.

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Guns don't kill people. Magic missiles do.
It's okay to think that, but there are a few people (very few) who actually create games with the intent of expressing themselves in an artistic manner, through storytelling.

Rep:
Level 96
MOAR NEW ENEMIES LESS PALATE SWAPPING

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007

Yeah, you're right. But I actually didn't mean that. I meant earlier there were ONLY good RPGs. Nowadays you can find many crappy ones. I don't say there aren't also many good ones, but the number of crappy RPGs increased from 0 to... well, I dunno, lol!

@Arlen: I thought RPGs stopped with that already. I can't remember seeing 2 enemies with the same 3D model, just another color palette in FF8. At least not in FF9.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 96

Yeah, you're right. But I actually didn't mean that. I meant earlier there were ONLY good RPGs. Nowadays you can find many crappy ones. I don't say there aren't also many good ones, but the number of crappy RPGs increased from 0 to... well, I dunno, lol!

@Arlen: I thought RPGs stopped with that already. I can't remember seeing 2 enemies with the same 3D model, just another color palette in FF8. At least not in FF9.
How about FFX?
And Dark Cloud 2?
And all the .hack games?

Oh snap.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
FFX, sure. I meant all the FFs after 8. Can't remember if even 7 had that feature. Haven't played Dark Cloud 2 and any .hacks so I can't tell. BUT WE DEFINITELY NEED MOAR OF THAT!!!1!!1!!1!!1111!!
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 96
FFX, sure. I meant all the FFs after 8. Can't remember if even 7 had that feature. Haven't played Dark Cloud 2 and any .hacks so I can't tell. BUT WE DEFINITELY NEED MOAR OF THAT!!!1!!1!!1!!1111!!
Uh.

FFX came after FF8.

You know, because X means 10.

FF10 came after FF8.

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Guns don't kill people. Magic missiles do.
That made me laugh. :tpg:

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Uh.

FFX came after FF8.

You know, because X means 10.

FF10 came after FF8.

Yes, that's what I said. X-2 and XII have it also I think. (There was no sarcasm, there wasn't a :V to indicate sarcasm either.)
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 96
You know what? Forget it. You're too damn confusing. You say one thing, and then a few posts later you say you actually meant the complete opposite. Screw this.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Ok, who else thought THIS post meant X comes before 8?

Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 96
You said "FFX, sure. I meant all the FFs after 8."

As if to say "well, ffx, yeah, but I meant all the ones after 8."

you know, like you were saying "well yeah ffx, but i was talking about the ones that came after 8."

you know, like you were saying "well yeah the number ten, but i was takling about the numbers that came after 8."

Ok?

Rep:
Level 96
Let's outline what happened, here.

Me: Palate swapping enemies are bad.
You: New RPG's don't do them. FF8 and 9 didn't.
Me: FF10 did.
You: Well, yeah FF10 did, but I'm talking about the FF's that came after 8.
Me: Ten DID come after 8.
You: That's what I said.
Me: No, it's not.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
I hate written/typed communication.

I meant "Yeah, FFX, too of course." Just the fact that I played it and said so many times that I hate Seymour should have actually let come to the conclusion I meant that, but screw it.

There was no "but" in FFs after 8, whatever you may have understood.

EDIT: WAIT! FF8 and FF9 did NOT switch palettes. FFX didn't switch palettes, too.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 96

FF8 did NOT have palate switchers, because the enemies just leveled up with you.

FFX DID have palate switchers. Tons of them. It really only had 8 or 9 normal enemy models that they just kept reusing.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Yes... Now that you say it... Yes, you're right. My bad. I thought FFX didn't have palette switches. Sorry for being an idiot... :=
Actually it's weird how a newer FF did have palette switching and an older one didn't. SCREW YOU, ENIX!

rep++ to you :D
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
You know what? Forget it. You're too damn confusing. You say one thing, and then a few posts later you say you actually meant the complete opposite. Screw this.

lolastor ;)

Rep:
Level 96

lolastor ;)
But I didn't call him retarded or a neophyte or anything like that. ???

rep--

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Hence ze wink, monsieur.