RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Arlen's List of "Things RPGs Need Moar Of."

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
That post made absolutely no sense at all.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
He's clearly a moron.

Also, yeah, FFXII doesn have some pretty epic battles. Unfortunetly, they're optional battles. Pretty much all the plot battles are boing and easy. Like every other final fantasy. It's a retarded formula and I find no pleasure in it. Saving the world is easy but doing pointless random shit is hard as fuck! Oh boy!

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I dont play enough RPGs to judge, I usually find them to oriented to how much time you plan to waste, as opposed to skill.  thats why I like FPS, it doesnt matter if you played for 3 weeks, you can still suck dick and have a guy that just started own the shit out of you (if you suck). 

Rep:
Level 96
He's clearly a moron.

Also, yeah, FFXII doesn have some pretty epic battles. Unfortunetly, they're optional battles. Pretty much all the plot battles are boing and easy. Like every other final fantasy. It's a retarded formula and I find no pleasure in it. Saving the world is easy but doing pointless random shit is hard as fuck! Oh boy!
Maybe you should actually act like the world's in danger and stop spending those extra hours fighting enemies you can run from and then see how easy the big enemies are. :)

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Only a pussy runs from random battles.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
He's clearly a moron.

Maybe you should actually act like the world's in danger and stop spending those extra hours fighting enemies you can run from and then see how easy the big enemies are. :)
Maybe the enemies where I am are 10 levels higher than me and I'm still not even close to having trouble. I'm no twinker, I want a challenge. It's not my fault the main path cannot provide me with one.

Rep:
Level 96
And yet here you are on an RPG Maker forum. :O

Rep:
Level 88
That post made absolutely no sense at all.

Actually it did.

He's clearly a moron.

Care to ellaborate a little for me?  :)

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
And yet here you are on an RPG Maker forum. :O
I originally joined just to share the resources I had made for RPG Maker XP. It's not my fault you assholes grew on me.

He's clearly a moron.

Care to ellaborate a little for me?  :)

No.

Rep:
Level 88
Ignorance is bliss, eh?

You're clearly a moron, no ellaboration needed.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
In real life, "evil" people do not go around saying "I am evil" So why in many RPGs is it this way? The world is not black and white. In the eyes of the "evil" person, most times, they are the good guy. They then see you as the evil, the evil they must stop at all cost.

Oh god, and no more cardboard baccon strip minded villians (sephiroth).
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Wow, that's just... boring. o_O

No it's not.

The Final Fantasy series needs to go back to where it began, well not where it began (I found I really... um... yeah) - but to the retro type of RPG.

No it doesn't.

VIII was futuristic

I don't see anyting wrong with that.

and X was too pathetic. I admit X was good and it was fun, but the game itself was so easy, just attack constantly - no stragtegy whatsoever.

Maybe if you had some restraint and didn't overlevel there might be some challenge. Then again, it's a final fantasy game, so probably not.

V is my favourite Final Fantasy because it has one thing almost all RPG's need: abruptness. I don't want to play a game where a prologue rolls over the screen and I see a fancy video of the backstory - that's not me playing the game, that's me watching it. Well, that's pointless and it's boring me.

Well you just insulted the gameplay of FFX, which is actually far more diverse and interesting than pretty much all other final fantasies. Clearly most people do not play RPGs for the gameplay. They play them for the plot. The "abruptness" of FFV is the game's weakest point.

A key in RPG's is too never tell the player what is going on, that way by doing the task set they can find out - that's already an interesting ten minutes. Of course they'd need to pull it off the right way.

Without a set goal a player will wander around aimlessly and become frusterated. Without any knowledge of the main plot or anything interesting going on they'll be less likely to care. Sending players on random tasks is a quick way to lose their interest.

V does because of how adventourus (sp?) it is, you get four characters and you STAY with them for almost the whole game, and it isn't stupid because it makes sense.

These 3 peices of sentences don't make much sense at all. I'm having a hard time even trying to figure out what you're saying. I'll start with the obvious part. Sticking with 4 characters. That's nice, and also boring. It works well for FFV though, thanks to the wonderful job system. Now the first section, I believe you're saying that V "pulls it off the right way"? If the world map wasn't designed so well, in such a way that you'll always be able to tell exactly where to go next, it would be painful and annoying. They make your destination obvious, even if you don't know where you're trying to go or what you're trying to do. Now the last part. "...it isn't stupid because it makes sense." Well I have no idea what "it" is since you started talking about something completely unrelated in the middle of the sentence, but whatever "it" is, I hope it makes more sense than that sentence does or else it actually is stupid.

V is incredibly fun due to this, so why other RPG's choose to show the gamer the story rather than have the gamer play it out is beyond me.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but almost all RPGs have scenes where the plot plays out, FFV included.

That's what RPG's need 'MOAR' of:

+ Abruptness

Play an action game.

and adventure  :)

Play an adventure game.

EDIT: Suitable boss themes, not rock or metal - that actually feels out of place in RPG's (maybe that's cause I don't like either genre though) - something like Challenge (X), Last Battle (V), Deceisive Battle (V), Battle With Gilgamesh (V - my god the arranged version would be hell suitable even though it's rock), Extreme (VIII) - final boss themes should almost always be fairly laid back, simple and tense, even slow paced (Extreme comes to mind).
Boss music should be intense to compliment the battle. Rock music gets the job done, as do other genres. Just because you don't like a certain type of music doesn't mean it's bad for battles.

NOTE: I contradict myself in that edit, oh well.

You're a moron.

EDIT:
In real life, "evil" people do not go around saying "I am evil" So why in many RPGs is it this way? The world is not black and white. In the eyes of the "evil" person, most times, they are the good guy. They then see you as the evil, the evil they must stop at all cost.

A simple concept that many people seem to fail to grasp. Or, perhaps it's part of the whole fantasy aspect. Sometimes people wish things were that simple. Sometimes it's nice to clearly know whos good and whos bad, and to think that some hero with a pure heart can crush this blatantly evil fiend.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 07:18:39 AM by GilgameshRO »

Rep:
Level 88
Actually, I hear there are some unprecedented epic battles in FFXII. They're optional, though. Rumors are that there's one or two last can last for hours simply because of how much HP the enemy has.

Wow, that's just... boring. o_O

No it's not.

You may enjoy having to constantly repeat strategies over and over again, but I don't. You fail to understand I'm not you.

Quote from: ataraxy2 on Yesterday at 05:35:37 PM
VIII was futuristic

I don't see anyting wrong with that.

Neither do I, but some things that were included didn't really work very well (e.g. Cars). Slighty offtopic: especially not with the junction/level system.

Maybe if you had some restraint and didn't overlevel there might be some challenge. Then again, it's a final fantasy game, so probably not.

Nah, I don't overlevel. It's boring to level up and I'd rather continue with the story.

V is my favourite Final Fantasy because it has one thing almost all RPG's need: abruptness. I don't want to play a game where a prologue rolls over the screen and I see a fancy video of the backstory - that's not me playing the game, that's me watching it. Well, that's pointless and it's boring me.

Well you just insulted the gameplay of FFX, which is actually far more diverse and interesting than pretty much all other final fantasies. Clearly most people do not play RPGs for the gameplay. They play them for the plot. The "abruptness" of FFV is the game's weakest point.

In your opinion I suppose you may find it that way, but the "abruptness" I found to be a strong point.

A key in RPG's is too never tell the player what is going on, that way by doing the task set they can find out - that's already an interesting ten minutes. Of course they'd need to pull it off the right way.

Without a set goal a player will wander around aimlessly and become frusterated. Without any knowledge of the main plot or anything interesting going on they'll be less likely to care. Sending players on random tasks is a quick way to lose their interest.

That's why the creator of the game would need to do it right, which would be hard to do. Otherwise they could always do what you seem to be suggesting: tell the the story straight up, biography of all characters instantly and in an uninteresting way, the conclusion is made really obvious and hinted dramatically throughout the game. Or the creator could try and balance things out, with a mixture of suspense and goals that follow strong to the plot but don't give away too much too quickly.

V does because of how adventourus (sp?) it is, you get four characters and you STAY with them for almost the whole game, and it isn't stupid because it makes sense.

Sticking with 4 characters. That's nice, and also boring.

No it's not.

Now the last part. "...it isn't stupid because it makes sense." Well I have no idea what "it" is since you started talking about something completely unrelated in the middle of the sentence, but whatever "it" is, I hope it makes more sense than that sentence does or else it actually is stupid.

I shouldn't waste my time but I'll edit it for ya.  ;)

"V does because of how adventurous it is, you get four characters and you STAY with them for almost the whole game, and staying with them for almost the whole game isn't stupid because it makes sense."

That also explains why I kept it in one sentence.

V is incredibly fun due to this, so why other RPG's choose to show the gamer the story rather than have the gamer play it out is beyond me.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but almost all RPGs have scenes where the plot plays out, FFV included.

Yes FFV does it, but it doesn't over do it. Infact what X does isn't TOO bad, I just didn't like the plot of that game.

That's what RPG's need 'MOAR' of:

+ Abruptness

Play an action game.

and adventure 

Play an adventure game.

Or, alternatively an RPG.

EDIT: Suitable boss themes, not rock or metal - that actually feels out of place in RPG's (maybe that's cause I don't like either genre though) - something like Challenge (X), Last Battle (V), Deceisive Battle (V), Battle With Gilgamesh (V - my god the arranged version would be hell suitable even though it's rock), Extreme (VIII) - final boss themes should almost always be fairly laid back, simple and tense, even slow paced (Extreme comes to mind).
Boss music should be intense to compliment the battle. Rock music gets the job done, as do other genres. Just because you don't like a certain type of music doesn't mean it's bad for battles.

Why is it that when people post in forums and reply to other posts, that the person repling instantly assumes that the poster is speaking on behalf of everyone? I actually liked the music in this "Chaos Project" game, it was suitable.

You're a moron.

No. It'd be moronic for me to not actually say that I'd contradicted myself.

Quote from: BanisherOfEden on Today at 05:50:54 PM

LOL - Funny thing is I'd never noticed... >.<

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
[Quote from: ataraxy2 on Yesterday at 05:35:37 PM]
You're a moron.

[/quote]

You know how to use the edit button. Why not just remove the contradiction?

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I wish Black Isle was still a functional company, and they would make one last amazing Infinity Engine powered game. Those are some of my favorite games of all time.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
Amen to that.

Rep:
Level 88
[Quote from: ataraxy2 on Yesterday at 05:35:37 PM]
You're a moron.

You know how to use the edit button. Why not just remove the contradiction?
[/quote]

Straight after I posted I went to bed, making sure to mention that I'd contradicted myself. Basically that is so people ignore that part. The reason I didn't delete it though is incase someone was already repling (these things tend to happen on forums  :D).

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
We've moved on, you should too.

I've never played a Black Isle project, actually. Could you name a few good ones?

And I wish they could bring back the Soul Blazer trilogy and remake it.

Rep:
Level 88
We've moved on, you should too.

Eh... I have... >.> (I was just answering his question, it's a bit rude for me to just ignore someone when they ask me something)
Anyway I have nothing to add so that's why I didn't. I can't think of anything RPG's need 'moar' of at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 02:48:32 PM by ataraxy2 »

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Well you just insulted the gameplay of FFX, which is actually far more diverse and interesting than pretty much all other final fantasies. Clearly most people do not play RPGs for the gameplay. They play them for the plot.

THANK YOU.

Rep:
Level 88
Quote from: GilgameshRO on Yesterday at 06:15:41 PM
Well you just insulted the gameplay of FFX, which is actually far more diverse and interesting than pretty much all other final fantasies. Clearly most people do not play RPGs for the gameplay. They play them for the plot.

THANK YOU.

Oh, Zypher - how could I? I'm so sorry for not liking X.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
On females.

FFXII was a little gay.

Proof: Vaan's shirt thingy.

We need moar of less-gayness and pedophile stuff in games! I mean, come on! Girl about 12 years old with huge boobs? I don't think so.

I concur.

Quote from: GilgameshRO on Yesterday at 06:15:41 PM

THANK YOU.

Oh, Zypher - how could I? I'm so sorry for not liking X.

X has a crappy plot, that's obvious and Gilga knows that. None the less the BS was good. I never finished it, because Seymour was so pahetic and such a pussy, not because it wasn't fun to battle.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 96
I'm curious to know what videogame plots you guys have actually enjoyed, because man, by your standards they would blow my mind.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
The plot for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are nigh immaculate. I don't think there has been a game yet that can top these two for sheer imagination and the ability to construct a whole universe that doesnt contradict itself.

Rep:
Level 96
Played them. Thought they were amazing the first times around, but I can't even finish them now.

Maybe a good story just isn't as good after the fist time around?

Yeeaahh. There's my point.