RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Haasten Recruitment (Updated: Dec 12)

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
Evil Overlord and Rock God

Your princess is in another castle… With somebody else.

Haasten is not about dragons…
Haasten is not about swords…
Haasten is not about the same fantasy RPG stuff you’ve put up with for the past decade…

Haasten is; a contemporary RPG about hips and hearts. A strange and queer tale with an indie/alt rock theme and Earthbound style.

Haasten is a game I’ve been working on since last February. It used to be a side-scrolling action-shooter for Mac OSX. However people said they liked the plot and characters, and wished the game was on PC so I decided to move the game to PCs and make it an RPG with RPGMakerXP (I’m using an official copy right now.)

-=Haasten News=-

- Tue Dec 12th: I've implemented lots of scripts I found around the net that practically accomplished some of the things I was looking for. Plan on implementing a .avi player script tonight (or trying to.) Then updating graphics. I hope to get an alpha demo up by the end of the week but, that all depends on how long the updates and .avi scripting takes.

If you want to join the team and have some cool stuff to show me then PM me.

- Thu Dec 7th: No longer need custom message system thanks to ccoa's badass script. Also, no longer need any help with mapping.

-= Table of Contents =-

Story……………………(stry)
Characters……………...(char)
Features……………...…(feat)
Style……………………(styl)

Mercenary System……..(merc)
Stuff To Do…………….(stuf)
Art Stuff………………..(asit)
Sound Stuff…………….(ssit)
Map Stuff………………(msit)

Scripts………………….(scrp)
Start Menu……………..(smnu)
<Added>
<Added>
Battle System………….(bats)
<Added>
Monster Auto-Kill……..(wmak)
Status Effects………….(sses)
Trance (not like FFIX)...(trnc)

Example Art…………...(exaa)

(stry)

Ryan is on a quest to save his girlfriend from an evil voodoo priest… Except… Ryan’s girlfriend broke up with him saying that she’d been cheating on him for a week… With another woman…

With his girlfriend’s sudden decision Ryan finds himself doubting his motives and himself as he is further entangled into a deep and strange conspiracy. Soon Ryan is surrounded by a cast of similarly ill-fated and quirky characters. The surgeon with a computer for a head, the candy stripper alchemist, the loli-shota ghoul and a magical girl luchador in a suit.

Welcome, to the world of Haasten.

(char)

Haasten:
Ancient voodoo master who lives in the spooky haunted house on the edge of town. They say people who trespass on his property are turned into monsters or sent to an alternate dimension in his basement. Something of a misogynist.

Ryan:
20-something wastrel, Ryan was perfectly fine sitting alone in his dark room and cutting himself while listening to emo music. Then some black plushie creature came by and convinced him to go on a stupid quest and save his ex-girlfriend (for no reason in particular.) What a pain in the ass.
-Special Ability: Carte Blanche
“Just like Mega-man!” After defeating certain enemies Ryan gains their abilities.

Shana:
Ryan’s ex-girlfriend, naïve and hopelessly confused. Does she only like girls now? Did she ever have feelings for Ryan? What’s her game now that she’s been captured by Haasten? Was she totally into the Spice Girls back in fifth-grade?

Keyes:
Cool-headed and smart-alecky surgeon with a computer for a head. Leader of the Red Scalpel, a team of guerilla surgeons who ambush people, break their legs, and then charge absorbent hospital bills to repair those same broken limbs. Aah, the American Dream!
-Trance: E.R. Improvosation
Everyturn cures physical status ailments and heals light wounds. At climax gives party members short physical buffs.

Drago:
Short, cute, black, furry lagomorph-thing. Think plushie sales. Headstrong and shows up in the damnedest places. What’s his deal?

(styl)

Haasten is a contemporary Spanish-gothic/indie rock RPG with an Earthbound style.

The game isn’t about saving the world, dragons, fairies, crystals, magical swords and all that other Swords and Sorcery stuff that have become a staple of RPGs. This is a game about angst, bad relationships, otaku and underground rock culture and old-school video games.

(merc)

Instead of standard recruitment I’m going to use the mercenary system. This is to make sure things move at a smoother pace and insures a more relaxed and free environment for the other team members.

Basically I’ll include a list of any scripts or resources to be completed and the first person to create that resource and send it to me will receive full credit. You may e-mail or message me and request I reserve a specific resource that you’d like to tackle and we’ll talk.

If you do want to request a reservation please include any previous work you’ve done (relating to the subject matter of whatever it is you want to reserve) and how many projects/completed projects you’ve worked for.

Stuff To Do
(stuff)
-   Positions open by order of importance:

1.)   Scripters
2.)   Music/Sound Effects
3.)   Spriters
4.)   Map Artists
5.)   Writers

Scripters:
See the sections “Scripts” for more information.

Spriters:
(asit)
Most of the character sprites are half-done (I have all the character graphics done but, they were for the side-scroller version, so walking north and walking south animations need to be drawn.) There are over 40 different major characters already complete in some form, however I need walking north and walking south animations. As soon as I tweak the character sprite templates and fix some of the major characters I’ll release the art unto the net and to whoever wants to add in those extra frames.

Also, there’s space open for incidental spriters. Incidentals are the “extras,” NPC characters, basically. Once the template sprite sheet is complete for the RPG version of Haasten I’ll upload it to the net and anyone who wants to make an incidental is free to do so (you could even, technically, draw yourself or your friends into the sprite sheets and be extras in the game.)

Music/Sound Effects:
(ssit)
The music/SE for Haasten are somewhat important to me. There won’t be much composing, but more ambient affects as well as a few guitar twangs for the sound effects (menu effects) and guitar riffs for other parts of the game. An appreciation for indie/alternative, college, grunge, punk, emo, screamo, nu metal and progressive rock is a huge plus.

Maps
(msit)
Figured out how to make maps. I'll be drawing them out myself and importing them as panoramas, then using fotz!'s pixel script I can set alpha values to work as no-pass barriers.

(scrp)

In Haasten there are several scripts that need to be created, but most of them are simply tweaks of the RPXP system already in place. Essentially, all the scripts are made to make the game feel more like Earthbound/Mother 2.

Here’s a listing of the scripts I’m already using:

1.)   jackatrade’s item detail view system (maybe)
2.)   dubealex’s brilliant AMS – R4
3.)   the unarmed damage code (author unknown, gotta find it)
4.)   Tons of add-ons by Blizzard
5.)   Zombie status by Blizzzard
6.)   DREAM save encryption by Blizzard (again)
7.)   Elemental damage median by RPGAdvocate

Here’s a listing of the scripts that need to be created:

1.)   Custom Start Menu (smnu)
2.)   <Added>
3.)   <Added>
4.)   Battle System (bats)
5.)   <Added>
6.)   Weak Monster Auto-Kill (wmak)
7.)   Strange Status Effects (sses)
8.)   Trance System (not like FFIX) (trnc)

Custom Start Menu
(smnu)

A customized start menu that makes the game feel more like a PC game (think the start menus from Blizzard games like Warcraft 2/3 and Starcraft.) The options would include Start, Continue, Options and Exit/Quit. Each of these sub-menus would have the options off to the right or left and an animated or non-animated character picture in the background. When going between the main menu and a sub-menu the camera would pan-away and fade to black, then fade in on the new sub-menu (if you’ve played Blizzard games you’ll know what I’m talking about. It’s also used somewhat in Guitar Hero.)

It would be nice if there were an option to play an opening cutscene before the menu appears (that’s skipable.)  This secondary option is not required, but it’d be nice.

Message Pane System
(msgs)

This has already been implemented...

Menu System
(mnus)

Battle System
(bats)

The good news: This isn’t a side-view system. Instead it’s more like Dragon Quest/Mother games.
The bad news: Getting the message system to work.

Essentially, this system is the same as what’s already included with RMXP but with a few minor tweaks. First off, there has to be a window at the top of the screen that narrates everything that’s happening. Second, you’ll have to split up the party window into separate boxes for every character (if you want an example, look at the battle system for Mother 3. Here’s a sample from Youtube to give you an idea: http://youtube.com/watch?v=QmGHZ9ne48A). The ticker HP and MP boxes aren’t required. Lastly, there’s has to be a way to integrate the custom battle system with the trance system (outlined below).

The message window at the top dictates whatever action is happening at that time. It’s used a lot in Japanese RPGs (“Pikachu uses Thundershock! 1230 Dmg to Bulbasaur”.) However, like in Earthbound, not only would it have to say what’s happening during that action, but also have support for nonsense attacks that do nothing. This opens up the door for actions like “Keyes stares off into space” and “Dire-Bear touches Ryan inappropriately.” So, “[user] verb [target] adjective” followed by “Xdmg dealt” or “[miss statement].” You should be able to figure it out by yourself anyway. Ask me if you have any questions.

As for the head-popping thing, essentially, for every character in the party there’d be another window at the bottom of the screen, displaying their HP, MP and name. When choosing an action for that character a little head pops up above their window, as seen in the Mother 3 battle system movie (http://youtube.com/watch?v=QmGHZ9ne48A).

The last thing to be tweaked is support for the trance system. A trance is almost like the Haasten version of a special attack, except it lasts several turns. The when choosing an action there has to be a choice for attack, item, spell/skill, defend (maybe), flee and trance (so, three rows of two or two rows of three choices.) It should be noted that not every character has a trance ability, so a toggle for trance depending on the character is required. For more information about trances, read a few sections below.

8-Way Run
(8wrs)

Weak Monster Auto-kill
(wmak)

Battles in Haasten should start when a monster touches Ryan on the map. Once this occurs the Weak Monster Auto-kill system activates. The system runs an equation, if combined party member level average is greater than or equal to combined monster level average multiplied by 1.18 then the battle ends, the monsters are automatically killed and any exp or items are automatically given to the player. This is to avoid tedious and weak battles. This option cannot be used in boss fights.

Strange Status Effects
(sses)

There are a series of status effects for Haasten that do some very cool stuff but cannot be implemented through the current status effects system. Here’s a listing…

Zombie: Same as the zombie effect by Blizzard except…
-Characters cannot be controlled
-Characters randomly attack any target on the field after saying “Braaaaaaaiinsss!!!”
-Some characters/monsters are immune. Lasts until treated.

Drunk:
-30% chance to miss
-9% chance to vomit, loosing 5%-9% HP (miss)
-9% chance to go into hang over status effect
-42% chance to hit (does 130% dmg)
-5% chance to pass out (go into sleep status effect)
-6% to flash monsters (monsters have –5% to hit next turn)
-Lasts 3-5 turns when character goes into hang over state

Hang over
-35% chance to fall over (miss)
-speed/evade is sharply reduced
-goes away in 3-5 turns (dependant on character’s vitality score, if possible.)

Depressed
-Player is unable to input an action for the character (as if the character were asleep or paralyzed)
-17% chance to recite goth poetry (10%-70% chance to auto-cast depression on other characters/monsters versus their intelligence score, if possible.)
-23% chance to “mope about”
-15% chance to go into suicidal status effect
-45% chance to attack (at 50% power)
-lasts 1-7 turns (based on characters intelligence score, if possible.)

Suicidal (like poison)
-3% chance to attack (at 30% power)
-60% chance to cut self (deals 5%-15% HP dmg)
-37% chance to commit suicide (auto-death)
-Lasts 10-30 turns (based on intelligence score, if possible.)
-Can be reversed by certain items (prozac) or skills. Some monsters are immune.

Scurvy
-50% chance to yell “Arrrr!!!” or “Yaaarrr!!”
-50% chance to attack teammates
-Reversed by certain items (oranges/tangelos)

Deranged
-30% chance to “Mutter in a corner”
-70% chance to attack random target

Sick
-Cannot use skills/magic
-Loose 8% HP per turn
-35% chance to vomit
-65% chance to attack
-5% chance of sneezing (casts sickness on another random target)

High
-Gain some MP back per turn (3%-7%)
-Can’t act
-50% chance to “wander about like an idiot with a stupid grin”
-50% chance to “shiver uncontrollably on the ground in a fetal position”

Sleep
-Same as always except you gain 3% HP per turn (I can already do this in RMXP, I just need a way to add “Zzzzz, [%party member] is asleep” in the action window.)

Trance System
(trnc)

Trances are kind of like special attacks in Haasten, except they last several turns until they reach their climax when a secret attack is unleashed. Here are the rules…

-When a trance is activated the character will use their trance ability every turn until the trance is cancelled.
-A trance is cancelled when a character in a trance is hit (after damage is calculated, there’s a 35% chance the trance will be broken. This percent can go higher or lower depending on the character’s stats, if you’re willing to add that extra rule.)
-Every turn the trance is active, it’s effects increase by a certain amount.
-After a certain number of turns have passed, the trance will end and a secret attack will be cast automatically.
-After a trance has ended (either by being cancelled or the secret attack being used) the character who used the trance will be unable to act for one turn while they recover from the trance.
-Not all characters have a trance.
-Some bosses and monsters have a trance.

Here’s an example of a trance that is cancelled…

Turn 1-Keyes uses E.R. Improvisation trance. All characters are immune to physical status effects this turn and regain 3% of their HP.
Turn 2-Keyes continues his E.R. Improvisation trance. All characters are immune to physical status effects this turn and regain 7% HP.
Turn 3-Keyes is hit by a monster. Trance is cancelled.
Turn 4-Keyes recovers from his trance.
Turn 5-The player is able to give Keyes an action again.

Here’s an example of a trance that is not cancelled…

Turn 1-Adrian uses Strip Poker trance. All monsters have –3% to hit and all characters gain 3% spell power.
Turn 2-Adrian continues her Strip Poker trance. All monsters have –7% to hit and all characters gain 7% spell power.
Turns 3 through 8-Adrians’s Strip Poker lowers the monsters accuracy score by -5% every turn while the characters gain 5% to their spell power score every turn. That means by turn 8 the monsters have –37% to hit and the characters have +37% spell power.
Turn 9-Adrian’s Strip Poker reaches it’s climax. Adrian unleashes her secret attack “Candyland.” Uber-huge damage to all monsters. :P

That’s how the trance system works. If you can code it, you’ll be my hero <3

Other Stuff
These are some other scripts that’d be useful to have.

-Carry over saves
Since Haasten is planned to be episodic, it’d be cool to be able to carry over save files from one game to another. If you can figure out a way to do it, then, please code it. J

Example Art
(exaa)

If you want to see some of the art from the previous Haasten side-scroller check out by Deviant-art and Sheezy-art pages:

http://ixis.deviantart.com/
http://ixis.sheezyart.com/

If you’re still reading this then you’ve got a lot of fortitude. Here’s a net cookie. /give [net_cookie]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 10:25:12 PM by ixis »

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Wow you know what ...WOW.

I can write ;\
Arlen is hot.

Wow you know what ...WOW.

I can write ;\

Well, show me some of your work and list any other projects you've been on and you might be able to help me as a side-quest scenario writer.  ^-^

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I'll pm you a story i wrote and check out my topic - DON in projects/games
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 88
goodtimess
This game sounds like its gonna be awesome. I've been using rpg maker for years now. I've been making games for a while.
I can write, map, and compose some what.
Count me in.

By the way, I'm gonna make a test sample for you of what I can do.
What the?
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Cool, you should know however that I'm not going to use "mapping" in the traditional sense, actually I'm going to use panorama images and then use fotz! pixel movement script to define barriers and such. Can't wait to see some of your stuff.

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
Cool, I'd apply, if I wasn't too busy with Legacy.