RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
*sad face* My computer keeps restarting.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
No spyware or viruses detected after several scans over the past couple of days.

My theory is that it's happening roughly ten minutes after I start my music program, Finale. Then *poof* the computer completely shuts off, and then restarts. There's no screen saying Windows is now restarting or anything. Just goes black, a click, and then it starts again.

I've tried reinstalling Finale, still happens - if that actually even has anything to do with it, it may not, I'm not going to bother to keep testing this theory out at the moment.

And when it does happen, it's not like I'm running uber amounts of things at once and my computer just crashes. At the most all I've had open is IE7 or Firefox, utorrent, Finale, and Winamp.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?
what type of computer is it?

is it a pc or laptop?
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Of course, it figures I'd forget to give necessary information.

A PC, emachines, Windows XP.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Install This and get a temperature reading. I guess keep checking it and post what the temperature was before the crash.

Also, run This and make it save all the info and post.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 08:42:07 AM by Silverline »
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 97
Is this the info you wanted me to save and post?

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Our comp kept restarting to, then we called that guy to fix it.
He said it was some virus, but as you have done virus check, i dun think its the same..
But keep checking
Arlen is hot.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
A virus isn't going to make it restart all of a sudden with no BSOD, like, as if there was a powercut and then the power came back. At least not anything you're gonna get.

XP Media Center Edition ;>_>

Speefan gave a temperature readout?

Most modern computers have mechanisms so they automatically shut down if they get too hot to avoid damage.

Or it could be you've got too much stuff running on your Power supply, or it simply cant provide enough amperage (or it's a no-branded cheapass one) to remain stable and you'd need a new one. NEED MOAR INFO LOL. At the CPUID site download PCWizard and make it save all info |-)

For your power supply, you'll have to take a peek inside your case so you can read the info on the box.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 97
Most modern computers have mechanisms so they automatically shut down if they get too hot to avoid damage.

Would this happen if the computer's been left on overnight then? Because it just happened to me again. I just got home, and I had left the computer on overnight (utorrent). The first thing I did was check my e-mail, and it happened again. The only things I had running were utorrent and teh internets.  :'( Unfortunately, I didn't get a look at SpeedFan before this, but I don't think it was necessary since the computer wasn't exerting itself very much.

Not sure what all that stuff in SpeedFan means either, except for the RPM of course. The reading now I guess wouldn't do you much good, but here it is anyway:

Fan1: 1824 RPM
Fan2: 1026 RPM

CPU: 47C
Ambient: 47C
Remote: 46C
HD0: 41C

Last night, HD0 was often at about 50, with a little flame next to it, lol.

As for the rest of it, I'll have to check power supply, etc. later.

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?
yeah its possible.  my laptop does it all the time.  thats why i ended up having to buy a chill mat for it becuase it was constantly shutting down from getting too hot.  if it happens when certain programs it usually related to how much CPU that program is taking.  I know my laptop always heats up when i play WoW.
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

Rep:
Level 97
I've found out it's common for Finale to shut down your computer when you use the sound libraries I use in conjunction with it, if your computer doesn't meet the suggested requirements, which mine doesn't as far as RAM goes. Finale eats up a lot of CPU anyway, which is the largest drawback of the program.

Chances are this is all something simplistically silly like I've just had it on for way too long or I'm trying to do too much at once. I do have a tendency to leave it on for multiple days... I should start shutting it down more often. I suppose I'll post back later about anything or whatever...

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
your problem is not with software, its hardware. You computer is running out of resources, and overheating. (my guess same happened to me)
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 97
The reason why I didn't consider this at first is because my old computer had WAAAY less resources than this one, yet I never had this problem. That computer was on constantly.

Hm... so far, so good though. Today, anyway. Only happened once so far...

(Ha, it's no secret I dom't know much about computers is it? Haha. :) )

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Have you checked your system startup? are more programs set to run in the back then usuall?
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 97
The only things odd I noticed which weren't there until recently were Real Player (ugh), and AOL, which I didn't know was on here, and is now gone. :)

This reminds me of something odd though... sometimes when I start the computer, while it's loading the desktop and starting up startup programs, my system32 folder opens automatically as well. I can't find anywhere in system startup that's causing this. It's nothing serious, as far as I can tell... just weird.

Rep:
Level 88
What a waste of paper...
Could you help me to help you by:

- Going to Start > Control Panel > System
- Clicking on Advanced
- Under Startup and Recovery, clicking Settings
- Unchecking "Automatically Restart"

Then next time the computer crashes, it should come up with a blue screen with white text, rather than restarting. If you get this, can you please tell me what it says? I may be able to help if this is the case. If you don't get the blue screen, then it is definately overheating.

The Legend of Zelda Fanclub

Rep:
Level 92
The Return of Mandy
If anything, the only thing I could think would be your computer is over heating inside your box. Try removing the side panel and letting some cool air in. Your motherboard might be restarting your computer to protect itself from over heating.

Where there are no gold stars, demerits, or infractions. <3

Rep:
Level 97
lol server change ~

I think the problem was overheating, since this hasn't happened again, and I haven't been leaving the computer on for several days at a time, etc. I appreciate all the help though, and you may now lol at the obvious noobish problem.