RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
<Quintessence - The Blighted Venom> (+3 Hours of Game Play Demo)

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for May 2007Project of the Month winner for July 20082011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
NEW THREAD: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,10424.0.html

BELOW IS SEVERELY OUTDATED, CHECK OUT THE NEW VERSION OF THE PROJECT @ABOVE LINK.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Greetings. This is my first project, but I sticked with it.

Click here to download Demo. (~3 Hours of Game Play)

Click here to download 'To Realize', Quintessence's main theme song. (Might need to turn up volume a bit, volume output was a bit low.)

And by the way, check out my story-building tutorial linked in my sig; it might be helpful.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Storyline:
The setting is in a semi-fantasy world where a large scaled armed conflict between the nations of Aerians and the Alliance has just ended.

Through the war, numerous orphan camps were established due to the heavy casualties. The story starts at one of the camps, just a few years after the war was over.

(SPOILER BELOW)

The main character, Reivier, one day accidentally discovers that his wife was an Aerian (Lunair) in disguise (whom consumed a pill of the Quintessence; allowing human transformation at the cost of shortening life spans in short). He learns through a chain of events that his real wife was abducted to Aeria a few months ago, and that the Aerian, Lunair, was sent to blend in the village to spy on whether the Alliance is making any recruitment efforts to start another war.

However, through a coincidence involving one of the most valuable individuals from Aeria, Lunair learned that she was tricked by the higher Aerian officials in a multitude of aspects. And essentially, by consuming the Quintessence (an experimental material), it reduces one's lifespan vastly by slowly poisoning one's body. Hence, after quarels, she agrees to travel back to Aeria to try and rescue Reivier's real wife, Serai, back; while a few others sets out to search for the cure to the poisonous substance. Reivier consumes a pill of the Quintessence in secret as well for the intent of being able to go with Lunair to Aeria to find his wife, Serai; which in turn also put him under the grasp of the venom of the Quintessence.

But when they finally arrive at Aeria, a unfortunate chain of events unfold that lead to horrendous discoveries; and they realized that it was just the beginning...

(/SPOILER ENDS)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------

Characters

Main Characters

Reivier Wirt (19): A civilian from the south eastern Alliance war orphan camp, hunts deers and etc. for profession. Easily vacillated and rather introvert to a small extent. Can be stubborn if put to the situation, but mainly even tempered. Also one of the few who is not a complete believer in the local religion.

Lunair Naeryns (20): An Aerian Duchess, tricked by Aerian higher officials on a suicidal mission after her father, the past Duke, was poisoned to death in secret for opposing the Aerian war and holding back his army. Sly and cunning to say the least, appears stubborn but can be reasonable.

Supporting Characters
Serai Song (18): Reivier's wife, a past tailor of the village. Abducted to Aeria. Not much is known about her except from flash backs at this point. Sweet and innocent; she's been Reivier's childhood friend since they came to the village as well. She becomes one of the major characters later in the game. (Seriously needing a more fitting face pic... :/ )

Kardian ?? (29-33?): A mysterious stranger settled in Reivier's village several years ago, with extensive knowledge in medicines and herbs. Later revealed to be an Aerian, arch-alchemist Alden Laeril (~35), the creator (extractor) of the Quintessence and countless poisons. Through his refugitive stay as Kardian (with the use of the Quintessence) at the Korbin village, his once guilt filled mind calmed and now sees the village as a home.

Kaire ??(24-27?): Kardian's sister, same background. Real name/identity: Petal Laeril (~33) Her legs were crippled during her and Kardian/Alden's escape; resulting in Kardian/Alden's goal of being able to heal her one day. Sweet and caring.

Vikon Marc (21): A friend of Reivier from the orphan village; lumberjack. Got involved in the event from caught listening to a confidential conversation. A rather optimistic but foolish man, but he did not know what he was in for when he offered to go help finding the cure with Kardian/Alden.

Salory Song (19): Vikon's wife, Serai (Reivier's wife)'s sister. Appears to be unreasonably obstinate; but when Vikon was involved in the incident, she followed him (although not truly knowing the details). A real b*tch to Vikon, nice to others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Features:
-~3 hours of gameplay.
-Around 20 original BGMs and other audios by James Zhang, Kevin McCullough and Kan Gao (me).
-A storyline that is not kill-this-one-guy-and-save-the-world (yet).
-A s*@$load of chillaxing cut-scenes.
-Leet scripts from around the world.
-A very detailed walk-through for the first 10-15 minutes or so of game-play to get you started (2nd post).
-Good ol' Naramura graphics; some (crappily) edited by me.
-Cheats available but not recommended.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Stock of Original Soundtrack List (Not all implemented/refined at the moment) (File Names):

James Q. Zhang:
-Gate of Glory
-Tense Theme 1 JZ
-THE RETURN
-Tropical
-Village2
-Knightly
-Mist
-Morning Scene
-MournGuitar
-Piano Soft 1
-Prion Capital
-Quintessence Intro

Kevin McCullough:
-Catacombs
-Illusion
-Labyrinth Tower
-TheEnchanted
-Sacrifice

Kan Gao:
To Realize
Departure Theme _ KG
Endeavor Piano _ Kan G.
Intro Credit Mist
Memories
Sad Theme 1 Piano _ Kan G.
snow
Snowflake

------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------

Current Credits:

Director
---------------
Kan Gao/Reives

Scripts
---------------
Cogwheel   BudsieBuds  Wachunga
Catchm     Ccoa        Near Fantastica
Slipkno     Fukuyama    Blizzard       
XRXS       Dubealex    MiDas Mike
Sandgolem 

Original Audio
---------------
James Q. Zhang
Kevin McCullough
Kan Gao

Supporting Audio
---------------
Enterbrain
Canadian Wildlife Sound

Graphics
---------------
Enterbrain  Naramura    Ccoa
Terus       Erk         Rye
$t3v0       Raerae      Tana
Zanyzora    Euphony     Mewsterus
Kan Gao/Reives   

Mapping & Hair Pulling

---------------
Kan Gao/Reives

Storyline & Cheese

---------------
Kan Gao/Reives

Beta Testers
---------------
You.

Special Thanks
---------------
James Q. Zhang
Kevin McCullough

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Will finish the thread later.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 04:51:53 PM by Reives »

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for May 2007Project of the Month winner for July 20082011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Reserved for posting walk-through.

Rep:
Level 89
Cheat Codes

These are only the cheat codes; I will not say where to enter these cheat codes however.

Hint: There is one cheat entering place in the village, one in the mountains, and one
in Gaurav town. By 'place' it could be anything from people to objects to animals.
Look for things that are slightly different from the rest in these areas and when you find it,
press action key to it. A cheat entering screen will pop up.

Current Codes:

MONEY

Mastercard   -Gain 50000 Coins

ITEMS

rorcgimmefreeitams   -Get free itams zomg.

SKILLS

omgbbq   -Gain skill: Spirit Call - Rouge

iwetmybed   -Gain skill: Spirit Call - Aquara

itblows   -Gain skill: Spirit Call - Aira

rockbottom   -Gain skill: Spirit Call - Terra

*Use the skills cheats sparingly, so the actual battle system can be legidly tested.
Also abusing the cheat skills will result in unfamiliarity with the actual combat system,
which will cause horrid embarrasing failure for the end-beta boss testing where these
cheat skills will be taken away.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 07:06:09 PM by Reives »

Rep:
Level 88
Evil will Perish In a Flash of Crimson...
Hey Sounds Great, Defo Will Download Demo
(Check Our Game Crimson Chaos Too Plz)

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Now thats Fricken Amazing... It all looks so... MAZING !!!!  :o

Makes mine look Crud... LOL

I am so nicking that cloud idea in the Orchard *runs off to get a patten*...LOL

Hats off to ya... thats the shite right there mate !!!! WOW

48MEG !!!! JEZUS... Downloading now... Will give you a Full review...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 09:15:31 PM by landofshadows »

My RMRK Wikki:- http://wiki.rmrk.net/index.php/Landofshadows
Make a Donation for my Resource making:- https://www.paypal.me/landofshadows

Rep:
Level 89
Crimson:
Thanks for downloading, and sure I will check out your project.

Landofshadows:

Heheh, thanks. But I don't think the demo version up there has that cloud thing in the village screenshot.  :( I couldn't get that new version up so the one up there at the moment is the 2nd newest version. However the newest version barely has any difference with it; only minor things such as *cough* the clouds, etc  :P

And it's just that I took the time to make a long thread; which in turn makes it look nice. You can make your game look awesome too by doing thread chores.  :)

Thanks for testing~

Oh and I forgot to note: At the intro mini 'music credit video', please do not switch window or have a lot of programs running. The waiting time relative to the music and screen scene switches are all counted in frames, so it would mess up the pace of the music and visual progression. After the intro credit music video it's np though of course.

P.S. Your website owns. The game download link is broken though.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 09:25:17 PM by Reives »

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
My Review on the Demo Download.

Intro and Prolog...

The title Screen came up, Great Music and image... Not sure on what the image is, kind of a jewl like magic looking thing... but looks sweet as

Then the Intro... Teen T... RMXP... Wicked... (I am a member at RMXP, but I have not seen this postered about there)

Then the game stuffage:-

This is amazing... Some area's My jaw fell and I looked at what I was seeing... I just could work out how it had been done... VERY PROFFESIONAL.... The scrolling and mixing of the Backgrounds overlayed with tile sets... FANTASTIC... I still don't know how you did it... but WOW....

The music fits well.... And there's one area the game fades from Black and White to Colour... very nice transitions... the War part of the intro... would have been nice if the soilders animated like hitting each other and when you mention the Swords CLashed and the Arrows flew you heard (Faitly that happening)....

The Text overlay again nothing short of Perfect... VERY NICE !!!!....

I was Dumbfounded with the whole thing... way above any thing I have seen created thus far... WOW.... Its worth the download just for the sheer amount of idea's you can teeth from the intro... its certainly set me a new bench mark to reach...

92/100 (a few sound effects chucked in every now and then would have added more atmostphere)

The Game

You start off in a Tent with a Female... The Tent Graphics look custom and fairly nice... You can pretty much interact with every thing in the tent... I love the noise of the Thistle Grinder... (Them Thistles must be made of rock... CRUNCH !!!!)... The Woman can't be asked with getting up and feeds you some cobblers about you getting your breakfast 1st... (She just wants a lay in the lazy bint...LOL) Any ways after I ran around for a while (You can go Diaganal in this game.... Not sure if I like that or not the anim looks wrong, like your gliding).... I noticed these little red arrows that indiacte you can leave the screen only in various area's... I found the Kitchen ate some stuff... then this crazy dude comes in who has hurt his head (not gunna say how as it will spoil stuff... but it had me laughing...)

Things I liked

The humor is great
The Battle System is really cool, its kind of live action and zooms in and out
Summon Spells, great Graphics on the four Element type spells...
The way the game changes setting from morning to day and so on... VERY NICE....
The Battlers are really nice... Accept the Wolves they are really pixeled up...
The Thistle Machine... Wicked !!!
The amount of Custom stiff...
The Item Screen rocks and so to do the icons...
The message windows are great, showing pictures of who is talking etc...

Things I didn't like (and I am being SUPER picky)

1. Now back to the Diaganal walking thing... Actually I dislike it.... in some of the building, on corners you get a clipping effect if you brush past them...

2. Doors on buildings are wide open yet you get told they are locked... It would be nice to have doors that are animated

3. Catching a Rbbit has never been harder.... Setting a trap for one to go in... I got stuck... Call me crap or whatever, but I got fed up... Fricken killing the end boss of Shadow of the Coloussus was easyer than catching a Rabbit... I laid the trap and wayched 1stly for about 5 mins... then I tried chasing the rabbits into the trap, I got them on it, but nothing happend... So I thought right the rabbit aint big enough... so I tried it on every rabbit I could see... all the time being attacked by Wolves and Chickens... and getting caught up on blinking butter-flies...

4. BUTTER-FLIES keep getting in my way... and other small bug bears keep holding up the game play, like too much Foliage and ground blemishes...

5. I don't like how the tree's have another layer plastered over the top of them and meld into each other and the Shadows under the tree's look to hard (not C-through)...

6. Maps have hard black outer edges to them really squared off... (Like inbetween going south from the church to the Priests house) Small area of land that looks out of place...

7. Small odd bits like in the Grave yard East of the Church the top right grave stone for a pet cat you can walk right through the cross and the others you can't... (and I found a few little bits that just feal very unfinished in comaprrison to the Intro....)

Overall

This game really draws you in at the start, its amazing... the Intro and the amount of work thats gone into it, is evident from the word go....

But then the game play is hampered by clutter and annoying tasks... It just doesn't have a fun sort of vibe, more a serious one... Its like comparing Boulders gate to Dragon Quest though... I love Dragon Quest type games... this is more Boulders gate, a brillaint game but not every ones idea of fun...

Oh... and the monsters are no real challenge you can just use a Summon spell and kill pretty much any thing... in the woods... may be if I trapped a Rabbit (even though I went hunting for dear) I would have got to a real Monster and had some fun... But I kind of got fed up...  :(

Game wise I was not impressed... the usic and visuals are cool... but it is messy to navigate... I hope this is some thing thats addressed in the full version... CUt some clutter and make it so you don't have to weaver around a village to get from A to B make various routes... and please make the Butter-flies passable...LOL

I don't think there is much that needs doing to really raise the bar on this game... I did notice the summon spells said test by them and costed nothing to cast so I guess they are there just to show what to expect later on in the game...

Its hard for me to rate this fairly as I don't think I gave it a fair trail... so I will break it down in catagories:-

Sound:- 90 / 100 (great music and very fitting for the game)
Graphic:- 85 / 100 (the Mapping is slightly hap Hazzard and cluttered, but the battle system and item screen and icon kicks arse)
Playability:- 80 / 100 (Hindered and hamperd by the surroundings makes it come-some)
Events:- 96 / 100 (The events end after they are actioned, and the tea making skill counter is cool, Very good)

Over all:- 88 / 100

Overall this is Majorly impressive... In another league compared to other games I have seen and played... This game over shadows many others in ploish and flare but I feel lacks in game play... or may be its game play is good but I feel should be better or as good as the Intro was... Yet the game play its self seems underated and falls short of expectation after such a MASTER CLASS of an intro...

I will still down load and play the full version... and its some thing I want to watch closely... A Proffesional looking game...

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
Geno WAs Born L33t
i love the awesome wether effects and pic usage
.....hi

Rep:
Level 89
Whoa, that's one hell of a review; thanks for taking your time to do it. Thanks for the compliments, and I do realize the things you stated that I need to improve upon.

But however, before I go further; I don't think you finished the demo? The post time between your first post here and second post is around 2 hours; not counting download time; and the demo itself took myself ~3 hours to complete... And the things you covered in the review only happened in around 2/10 of the demo's content. Unless you're still not done, that is. But if the case is that you thought it was finished at some point before it was; which point in the game are you at?

P.S. Oh and the Spirit Call skills are suppose to be cheats... Were they actually present in the skill bar without entering the cheat code?  :o My bad lawl.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 10:19:03 PM by Reives »

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Yeah... I Got stuck on catching the fricken Rabbit (call me crap or whatever)... and to be honest I get real fed up trying (out of interest how do you do it ?)... and the village layout really done my nut in, the navigation felt off... the world map thing again just felt out of place with the rest... It felt very bitty... I liked the inside of houses, the banter the battles but every thing else needs some work... your exteriors are a right mish mash... Soz...

Rep:
Level 89
Hm I see. That's strange, the rabbit wasn't supposed to be that hard... and how did you get stuck? In what way?

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
Its very rare I quote myself... but hey ho...

3. Catching a Rbbit has never been harder.... Setting a trap for one to go in... I got stuck... Call me crap or whatever, but I got fed up... Fricken killing the end boss of Shadow of the Coloussus was easyer than catching a Rabbit... I laid the trap and wayched 1stly for about 5 mins... then I tried chasing the rabbits into the trap, I got them on it, but nothing happend... So I thought right the rabbit aint big enough... so I tried it on every rabbit I could see... all the time being attacked by Wolves and Chickens... and getting caught up on blinking butter-flies...

Rep:
Level 89
Oh so you mean't not literally stuck but fed up?   :-X Sorry sorry then, my bad.

I guess I will fix up the rabbit thing. Oh and tips for that part is in one of the .doc files in the game folder actually; the big rabbit is initially northwest of the starting place of the woods.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 10:49:04 PM by Reives »

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
I will have another go at it... Its late here in ENgland and I am a bit sleepy... 12am...

It just felt odd... I mean the Volcon guy says lets catch a rabbit and call it a day (or some thing along them lines) so you think oh well thats a bit of a cop out I wanted to get some dears and make some profit dragging the extra ones back like originally suggested... then to go hunting for a giant Rabbit... I dunno for a 1st mission it seemed a little Mehhh... Disapointing... Remember Sercret of Mana when you fall into a hole fight a boss and get kicked out of your home town... now thats a start that gets you hooked...

A start that goes lets go hunt some dear... then oh... I have a btter idea lets catch a Big rabbit... kind of killed the game slighty... may be I am being too judge mental but after sitting through an intro that you can't skip for the best part of 10 mins its a let down...

Bring on a big monster... even if he tears you a new arse... and then say you take control of the Girl and you have to use her to gather food and stuff to make you well again... just some thing action based rather than puzzle...

You made a great impression with the Intro... make the same great impression with the actual game and then you have a winner...

I usally make my mind up in the first 30mins of playing an RPG if I am gunna see it through...

The ones I loved the starts of are:-

FF7, Dragon Quest 8, Robo Treck, Zelda {nearly all, didn't like wind waker), Secret of Mana... and a few others...

Rep:
Level 89
You bring up good points, and I do think I should edit it in that perspective. That actual hook however was supposed to be the cut-scene after the intro; in which then goes back one day prior to the incident. But then it ended up with some filler stuck in between again, heh. I think my train of thoughts when I did that part was that I wanted to put in some user controled events there since there are a lot of cut scenes coming up; didn't have enough experience to make a polished one though I guess. Ah well, currently taking a break on the project at the moment; will certainly rework that part when time permits.

Resource Maker
Rep:
Level 91
The Intro is Breath taking... Its FANTASTIC... !!!

I can't praise it enough... If your looking for a game to show off RPG Maker XP this is the one... It Rocks... what Reives  has done is really something else...

Game play wise I think I need to give it another go... but there was times I would just stop walking all of a sudden, press the action key and hear a High pitched tweating sound and then notice a bird was in my way... And other little bits that felt off like walking over fences, or appearing too... and passing through objects that you shouldn't... I know its a demo and all and it will get better... I know it will... Reives seems a very clued up kind of guy...

There is more in this game that I like than I dislike so Its good...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:33:29 PM by landofshadows »

Rep:
Level 89
^Landofshadows:
Thanks for the compliment and suggestions  :)  Your comments really reminded me of the stuff I forgot to do.

Well, anyhow here is the rescue save file in case it's pain to get the rabbit;
http://files.filefront.com/Save4rxdata/;5500788;;/fileinfo.html
I did not pick up any items however. Simply went to the rabbit and set up the trap and position ready.

*ONLY USE IF YOU ARE STUCK WITH THE RABBIT.*

Instructions:

Put this in your game folder.
Open game.
Load the 4th save file.
Go immediately up a step after loading the file.

Rep:
Level 89
how do you beat the bosses you put in????

they hit me for over 7k b4 I even get a chance to attack
Zypher, Veltonvelton, and Dalton are secretly having a homosexual affair in hidden messages just like this one
research shows Fu is also involved, but not in a gross and creepy way

Rep:
Level 89
If you have Windcatcher's Nest in your inventory, you can beat them. There's just a trick to it.

I'll restate the hint (although should be obvious now);

A breeze blew through the endless dirt;
Recklace charge to the flowing river.
Fiery embrace what would be rebirth;
To melt that shivering heart of ice.
Shield your eyes for it is too bright;
But all is abyss when darkness blights.

(Thanks for playing all the way to there though  :D )

P.S. If you get it now, you still should save after and before every boss though. There's a tricky part that can be easily missed.

If you still can't get it, tell me here~
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 03:52:36 AM by Reives »

Rep:
Level 89
Aqua died when the fight started for no reason and I'm stuck facing the dark one over and over again

Edit: nvm, I faced one that killed me with a hit I couldn't live thru and it said the beta was over.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 01:39:26 PM by thingy »
Zypher, Veltonvelton, and Dalton are secretly having a homosexual affair in hidden messages just like this one

Rep:
Level 89
Ah thanks for the notice on Aqua's bug; I'll get to fix it.

Thanks again for actually finishing the demo!  :D

Rep:
Level 89
whats with that devil thingy in the eastern part of the first town that makes the game freeze

Rep:
Level 89
Eh..? I have no idea, most likely a test object I put there that I forgot to take off... I'll check on it.

Edit: Could you be more specific? What does it look like, and is it in the first town or village? Thanks~
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 04:01:35 AM by Reives »

Rep:
Level 89
also it doesn't care if I say yes or no, it plays the prologue anyway

top right corner of the screen when you see the person you believe to be Serai change into Lunair
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 04:30:03 AM by thingy »

Rep:
Level 89
Ah I see, thanks for the notices! I'll fix them.