RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The OFFICIAL "Which maker do you use?" And General RM Discussion Topic.

Poll

Which development platform do you prefer?

RPG Maker 95
0 (0%)
RPG Maker 2000
15 (4.2%)
RPG Maker 2003
61 (17.2%)
RPG Maker XP
173 (48.7%)
Gamemaker
15 (4.2%)
Sphere
1 (0.3%)
Other (Please specify)
13 (3.7%)
Dwarra
10 (2.8%)
RPG Maker sucks
2 (0.6%)
RPG Maker VX
60 (16.9%)
RPG Maker VX Ace
4 (1.1%)
Stencyl
1 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 301

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
In an effort to get things completely back to normal around here, we have to get some of our old stickies back as well.  :-\

So, here we go. Answer the poll. Discuss. Stop repeat threads.

EDIT: Apparently the previous title wasn't descriptive enough...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 12:12:25 AM by HaloOfTheSun »
:tinysmile:

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
I use RMXP now... I like to script...

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
I prefer a healthy dose of 2k3
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 10:39:06 PM by Dr_Swordopolis »

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I am Game Maker's BITCH.

Rep:
Level 92
Welcome Poster of Year 2006 Award
Rpg Maker 2003 is the option I stick with. I alternate Rpg Maker 2000 now and then, just to experiment some events, but that's it. I only use Rpg Maker XP to answer questions. :-\
Do you want to be part of a growing Gaming Community, with many galleries, comics, active community, and gfx artists? Also known to be friendly. Also want some free anime music just for signing up? Play in the arcade?

Click Community Forums to join!

< Zelda Fan Club

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
xp cause of better graphics and options

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
XP. Because I found the learning curve gentle.

Rep:
Level 96
Geno Zero's friend Jovi is a Chuck Norris fan I think.

Rep:
Level 92
I'm the only person alive that thinks RM XP has a gentle learning curve. Chuck Norris tried to use RM XP one time, Chuck Norris is afriad of computers now.

I also thinks that... >_>

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Then you know what that means, you can kick Chuck Norris' monkey ass too.

Rep:
Level 88
I like to use RMXP because there is actually a legal version out, and I like to script. I basicly suck at events.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I like XP if for no other reason than the freedom you get with making resources.

pokeball zxmOfflineMale
Astronaut Raticate Banana
Rep:
Level 92
Pineapple Line Colour
XP, becuase you can make it your own game, nothing other then your own limits can stop you, and you can truely make your own game.

Rep:
Level 96
I've been messin around with XP for a few days now, and I'm almost 100 percent sure I'll convert Earthbound. The only thing stopping me is the whole stretching of small graphics issue...

My GW Character. Hes cool
I tend to use XP purely because of the fact i dont like small res and colour depth's. I'm also trying to figure out how to script it so if anyon could help me that would be nice   ;)

Rep:
Level 90
I have game maker's block PM me with game ideas.
I perfer rm2k3's battle system,but i like the flexability of XP
Major Project : Cliche Cronicles
Total: [llllllllllllllllllll] 0%
Story: [llllllllllllllllllll] 0%
Resources: [llllllllllllllllllll] 0%
Script: [llllllllllllllllllll] 0%
Voice Overs: [llllllllllllllllllll] 0%

Currently: Planning

i use Rpg maker 2000 and 2003 and xp

Rep:
Level 88
Where's the head of a chocolate coronet? :O
I use RPG Maker 2000 and XP a lot. I don't know why I stay away from 2003, and I don't really like the other Makers out there 'cuz they take more thinking, and I'm too lazy for that.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 04:36:24 PM by Starrodkirby86 »

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I used to use 2003 until I got my new computer that can run XP so I use that now.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
I like the old school look and feel of 2k, the blocky sprites, the text battles.  I also like how 2k doesn't mangle half my MIDI files.

That said, xp does have a few pros that I can't overlook, like no size limit on sprites or tilesets.  I currently am using xp, but not a day goes by that something about it doesn't anger me.  ;D

Rep:
Level 96
Am I the ONLY GM user here?

I like to use XP since you can do alot of different things with scripting, and I find it quite fun.

--GO XP!--
~Tsuta~

Rep:
Level 88
Woot woot!
Sim rpg maker 95.

I don't want to script a thing in, or ask someone else like a noob.
Fat cat = fat dog

fat dog = fat lion

lion = cat

so.........fat cat = fat cat

PROJECT INFO
Nothing :3

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?
RPG maker 2003, just for the simple fact there is a side battle system.  other than that xp seems better.
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

Rep:
Level 96
You can force XP to use a sideview system.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
I love XP, I love programming/scripting/coding. :)
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?

yeah i saw that code the other day.  since then i've been experimenting with xp as opposed to 2003.
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

Bring them to me.
Yes Xp maybe alittle tad more pretty...and afew more new stunts its got but..

I still like 2003 :D

---
http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=4247.0
Bring them all to me...

Currently In Need Of Help, See : http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=4247.0

Assassin Productions
Of my choice... rpg maker 2003.... because I don't like to think when making my games!  ;D

Rep:
Level 89
I am yourself!
XP always the best...
No need SO MUCH pictures to create CMS like I did on 2k3.
Just script...

Regardless, I hate the 256clr and pixelly view of the 2k3.
And cannot do much customization on 2k3.
Symphony of Alderra : Memoirs of Life

Storyline : 200% (Overimaginatives)
Scripting : 100% (At last...)
Eventing  : 100%
Mapping   : 0.125%

For me, its a draw.  (no pun intended)

I use both Blender (free gpl, btw)  and RPG Maker XP.  I like XP for its 2D and simplicity, and Blender for its 3D and complexity.

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I use xp because of the scripting. If there was not scripting then I would switch to 2003.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 88
I just started, but I've tested RPG Maker 2k3 and the graphics don't look as good as RPG Maker XP. So, for now, XP.
Project: Assult

Developed by: Phoenix studios.

Release Date: 2008 [Scheduled]

Game Engine: Irrlicht Engine (Graphics Engine) (Gameplay Engine unconfirmed)

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
However, Graphics don't make a game.  I, myself, prefer an older, more SNES-tyle look to my games. Besides, I concentrate on the story more than anything else.

Rep:
Level 89
I am yourself!
Graphics, sometimes, can cover your weakness on storymaking or gameplay.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I use xp, havn't tried the other versions, but i guess I will give them a try at some point
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Not a memory...
I'm using XP but I have some question... I've got RPG maker 3D for PS2 so I'm interested if there is anyone like that for PC? (I've tried using emulator but loading itself takes about 15 minutes that way, which is way too slow...)

Rep:
Level 96
I believe you can buy a PC version, not sure...

Rep:
Level 88
0w/\/Z0Rz im back Baby!
Rpg 95 sux with graphics
rpg 2000 is easiest to use
rpg 2003 has good graphcis and features
rpg XP is too advance
September 13, 2007, 06:56:52 PM <-  Last Login
I returned and better than ever!
Don't mess with me.
Ever....

I'm using XP atm, coz 2000 and 2003 don't have such a nice look (chars and tilesets etc).

-Orakk
My game team:
www.greygames.tk
Hope you enjoy our games!

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I'm using XP atm, coz 2000 and 2003 don't have such a nice look (chars and tilesets etc).

-Orakk

that is my reason, but now that i play peoples games, wow they make it look very very GOOD!

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
RMXP is the best, the other rpg makers are for people who don't know how to script.

Rep:
Level 96
I use teh XP.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 88
The Sliencer
I use all three but i used XP the most out of them.

Dungeons and Dragons Dawn of Darkness: 3% (ON HOLD!)
Dark Lands: 7%

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Damn, have to add a poll AGAIN because of the serer change. -.-
:tinysmile:

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
voted for dwarr...but I really use XP

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
One day, Dwarra will stop being an option on polls.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
I use Rpg maker 2k3 ,better options and better to use but i always can't decide between Rm2k3 or rpgmaker XP because i like XP's graphics but not the battle system.

Rep:
Level 88
A pirate's life for me
Yep exact same thing here. Although RMXP has a Scripts option where you can input scripts randomly found on the web, big characters, slightly better graphics, and a slightly better resource system, RM2k3 has the unrivaled sideview battlesystem, wich nullifies all of RMXP's advantages.

Unless you can find a way to make a CBS, I wouldn't use RMXP, because the battle system is really, really crappy.

The new generation will go to the distance... Will the distance between us smallen?

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
Guns don't kill people. Magic missiles do.
Just can't top the limitless possibilities of 2k3... no scripting required!

Rep:
Level 92
One day, Dwarra will stop being an option on polls.
That one day will be in 100-150 years because our children will carry own the tradition while our grand-children won't.
Maybe I should try 2k3 one day. I have tried 2k and XP, but not 2k3.
I prefer XP over 2k.

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
It's so beautiful. :tpg:

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I might eventually use something else for a project. I want to make a fighting game, and I don't want to use RM Xp becuase it would need way too much scripting.

Rep:
Level 88
Random-Idiot
Apart from the bad graphics, stupid event-everything-typthingie, I think I liked RM2K3 most before RMXP was there. I have used the whole serie, starting when I was nine years old with RPGMaker 95, but these days I have to say RMXP rocks. The RUBY game scripting system is almost limitless, and you can recreate EVERYTHING you could make in RM2K3 and RM2K.

To be honest,
Unless you can find a way to make a CBS, I wouldn't use RMXP, because the battle system is really, really crappy.
That's not really hard, there are many sideviewbattle systems made yet for RMXP. You where not the only one who thiks the DBS (Default Battle System) of RMXP sucks.

Meâ„¢
ALL HAIL MEâ„¢

Rep:
Level 89
Za Mullet With the Bullet ;o
GIAW 14: Participant
Rm2k3 is the best ever. It's simply infinite, and you dont have to script, as well as the uploads dont sometimes decide to not work (it's my computer, dont ask)

Rep:
Level 88
Random-Idiot
Just a little side note: You do not NEED to script in RMXP  :D
ALL HAIL MEâ„¢

Rep:
Level 88
A pirate's life for me
I gotta say RMXP is way better compatibility wise. In older versions you need every single graphic resource 256 colors or it won't be accepted.

Also, coding a caterpillar system in a Rm2k3 game is a pain in the fuck. With RMXP you only need to copy and paste a script and voila.

Yeah pretty damn nice.

The new generation will go to the distance... Will the distance between us smallen?

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
In RMXP the eventing system is a little bit weaker than in RM2k3, but you have scripts which are mroe powerful than events. Sure, you can nearly make almost anything with events what you can make with scripts, but the code of eventing will be a lot larger than the script code and it will more likely lag, because one event command is actually a few script commands + the interpreting part takes also some CPU. Check out the 7 Interpreter scripts in the script editor to see what events in RMXP REALLY are. Of course events can be enhanced with scripting. ;)
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
Random-Idiot
Not to forget that in RM2K(3) the events are also scripts, yet you can not access it. The only backdraw is the half-compiled-half-interpretered from RMXP against the almost 100% compiled from RM2K(3). That is why in RM2K(3) you can have so much more events without experiencing lag (not to mention 256 color bitmaps are easier to process) in RM2K(3) then in RMXP.
ALL HAIL MEâ„¢

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
True. That's why you can have almost lag-less event-based CBS-es and CMS-es. It's funny, you actually CAN'T say one RPG Maker is the best, lol!
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 92
Can we say that one is the worst?

\(^o^)/
Rep:
Level 92
No, because it would be a unanimous vote for 95.

Rep:
Level 88
Random-Idiot
95 actually was not THAT bad, just lack of instructions and help.  ;)
ALL HAIL MEâ„¢

Rep:
Level 88
A pirate's life for me
Hmm RM95 was before my time, but I remember playing a RM95 game called "Vegeta Jr.'s Journey" or something, the game itself was really bad and the graphics sucked. Of course I don't know if it were just bad sets or it was the fault of the maker, but nonetheless.

I never played it through though, the horrible idea that it gave itself out for a DBZ fangame kept bugging me.

Rep:
Level 89
I am yourself!
By the way...
Is "Dwarra" is an RPG Maker???

Rep:
Level 92
No, someone's joke habits seemingly.
Do you want to be part of a growing Gaming Community, with many galleries, comics, active community, and gfx artists? Also known to be friendly. Also want some free anime music just for signing up? Play in the arcade?

< Zelda Fan Club

Rep:
Level 88
Random-Idiot
Do you see me laugh? No? Me neither.

So,From all that voted, so many still use rm2k3  :o
ALL HAIL MEâ„¢

Rep:
Level 92
What do you mean still? There's nothing wrong with it.  :P

There is nothing to be surpriesed about.  ???

< Zelda Fan Club

Rep:
Level 88
Random-Idiot
It is more like:

Windows 95 > Windows XP
XP = new, most people use XP (not saying that it is good, as it sucks)

RM95 > RMXP
However, most people 'stuck' at RM2K3. Not saying that it is wrong at all ;)
ALL HAIL MEâ„¢

Rep:
Level 92
If you say it that way.  :tpg:

< Zelda Fan Club

Rep:
Level 88
Busted - Infection...Spreaded...
I personally use RMXP, as I have this thing against RM2k3's graphics. I just didn't like them. I also found posting messages with the face at the side was annoying on 2k3, and the only other thing I've tried on the poll was GameMaker, which I thought sucked beyond all belief. Maybe it's just me. Either way, I actually like RMXP's graphics, but the battle system sucked compared to 2k3 (the one bit of the graphics I liked).

Rep:
Level 89
I am yourself!
After reading and reading....
True. That's why you can have almost lag-less event-based CBS-es and CMS-es. It's funny, you actually CAN'T say one RPG Maker is the best, lol!

Lag-less?
All my RM is lagging (Coz I'm using caterpillar on RM2K(3))!

Rep:
Level 92
Wait 0.0 is actually a semi reknowned cure for lagging in event based systems.

Rm2k3's graphics have a sort of rpg-type feel to it.

< Zelda Fan Club

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Most Successful Troll
WOOT! I just tied XP up with 2003. lol
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 03:17:27 AM by Irockman1 »

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)

Rep:
Level 89
I am yourself!
Hey dwarra...
Did YOU make a RPG Maker???

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
I was beggining to wonder that....

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Most Successful Troll
It seems like 95 would be terrible.

Rep:
Level 92
Not terribe, no one likes it. No one wants to try them.  :-[

< Zelda Fan Club

Rep:
Level 88
Well I'd say rpg maker 2000. Because I am getting a hang of it. Except for me having trouble getting a church priest event to work so I can have a way to get the priest to revive party members in my game that I am creating. If people are woundering I am a great rpg fan. ;D
If you can't beat them join them.

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
Well come to your first post then.

As for RM95, i've never used it, way before my time. (18) but still, i've only just started on RMXP, and I find it's the best.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I've pondered using 95 to be funny.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
95 was okay. It has basically the same graphics as XP, but you can have more than 8 characters in it.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I'll DL it eventually.

Rep:
Level 96
Each rpg maker give you more options and functions, but it also harder to use... you need to learn more to use it.

95- easy to use, but very basic
2000- Harder but mroe functions
2003- Not much harder, but alot more added
xp- Tons more added and the hardest to use, they also took some things out that made 95 east to use.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 88
Well I pretty much use rpg maker 2000 right now. But having a hard time getting the chrono trigger timemachine to sho up in my rpg maker 2000. I cant figure it out if someone can help me please email me on how to do it. I have all the other nessary programs already.guythatnobodywants2006@yahoo.com
If you can't beat them join them.

Rep:
Level 88
I prefer XP the most, but that's most likely because it's the only version I've been able to easily get.

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
Yeah same here.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 88
I AM NARKIDIN
RMXP (legal, jap version legal, PK, dub edition, so on)
Game Maker 5 & 6

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
FeeltheAmbienceâ„¢
RMXP for me.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
Yes Dwarra made a game once..
If I'm not mistaking it was something with knights and Excalibur or something i never played it though ..

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
i use 2k3 all the way. why you may ask? i LOVE the old school look. i just love old school. so ya XP is just to mmmmmmmmmmmmmm new and "clean" looking to me.

TT

Rep:
Level 88
Rpg makers I use..

Rpg maker 2000

Rpg maker 2003

Rpg maker XP

Tool kit 2 (god its hell >> Like rpg maker XP you do scripts but unlike rpg maker xp ITS ALL SCRIPTS npcs need a script and you need to make your OWN graphics and tiles sets.... ya...not very fun -_- even uploading from paint isn't very neat.)

Vic 20 XD (inside joke but true Vic 20 COULD be a game maker)

Commrade 64

future basic 2 (another inside joke, Text games  btw this is a MAC appucation where you make other programs)

These are not in order -_- you think with my knowleage of programming scripts for rpg maker XP wouldn't be a problem oh well still learning. XD

Project
New project. The other dimention DND
RPG makers challenge http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,13503.0.html

Rep:
Level 87
Language Teacher/translator
Good Oldschool RPGM2k3  ;D i've hear and see lot about XP but oh well ^^ cant stand to move so much time and patience learning it into the new verison where pple dowload scrip and within 5 min got incredible games ^^ maybe once i'm done with my project in 2k3 i'll have a grab about this XP and see if i can work something out of this  ^-^

Cheer! ;D

Elistios

Hi, I'm just getting back into the rpg maker scene. i remember using rpgmaker 95 and also remember when rpgmaker 2k came out and how great the events had become. It became a great challenge to see how much you could get out of such a simple thing.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 11:35:07 PM by Dazrael »

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
I chose XP because I really haven't used the others much. GM is an option, but I am more into original RPG-making, for which I am going to be working on original graphics and learning Ruby before I even post anything about my project in here. It's going to be a long journey... but always worth it. :)

Banned
Rep:
Level 87
I use 2003..

Rep:
Level 87
RPG Maker 2003 all the way.

Rep:
Level 87
¥¥Death is Peace, and it is your friend¥¥
I love using rpg maker xp, its cool, way better than the other ones. It has also helped me unleash my creativity.  ;)

Rep:
Level 87
I see the advantages of XP, but I do not know how to script yet so I am sticking with 2K3. I am wanting to learn how to script though... I'm browsing around for that.
Refrain from calculating your juvenile poultry prior to the incubation process's execution.

Rep:
Level 87
¥¥Death is Peace, and it is your friend¥¥
you could ask for a teacher, by asking blizzard, hes damn good at it, look in the student teacher orginization.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member
I use RM2003. Because it is the best. Evar.

Evar.

*Evil eyes everyone who disagrees*
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
added new poll option for me~

I use Rm2k3. it's just easyer than xp. that of cource is just my opinion.

Rep:
Level 87
RPG Maker 2003 because I likes Super Nintendo style.
Project: MegaMan  1% Complete.
Title: done.
Story line: 75%
Sprite: 2%
Music: 2%

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
RPGMXP

Its new and slick (?)

Rep:
Level 87
LOSER
2003 even though it is a totally cool program it's getting just a little old. If I stop by a game that's looks cool on 2K3 maybe I will play it. Other than that I won't be making any games on it anymore. WEll for now Im exploring the world of RMXP and going a little into scripting and seeing what that's all about.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I use a translated XP

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Enter the Darkside

First off, I prefer XP's graphic system and if it weren't for the fact the it has that Damn FP battle view I would only use that.  However, that being said I took note of This Particular comment and ask... How?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 05:07:51 AM by Innerdarkness14620 »
.......Welcome to the Ring of Honor......  Prepare to be crushed....

Rep:
Level 87
Moo at me and I'll stab you...
    I use RPG 2003.

2003 vs XP is like Ocarina of Time vs Twilight princess: Twilight has AWESOME graphics, but Ocarina kicks butt all the way (I love it, even though it's old-school). I agree with everyone else that side battling in 2003 is better then XP's battle system.
I wore my cat ears and my cat tail to a minor league baseball game. While we were there, my mom looked at me, sighed, and said to my dad, "She's gonna be on 'Girls Gone Wild' one of these days..." ;D

Art Master
Rep:
Level 90
Now I have  gone back to 2000. Can't seem to make up my mind =\

Anyway, on the note of the battle systems: Yes, I also agree that the battle system in 2003 in much better than that of Xp's.Still, some pretty nifty suff can be done with scripts.

Rep:
Level 86
I use RMXP because of the number of colours, and for short games I use RM2k, who is the same as 2k3 but whit more patches (mp3 sounds, key, mouse).
Also, I started to use MMF 1.5 and 2.0, and this software ROCKS!! Too bad for the mapping system that requires drag and dropping an element, but it's better than RM for every type of game except an RPG. Anyway, I use RMXP for my main project -> it's an humouristic adventure game, but it's gonna be hard to make the pixel-based a-rpg combat system for the a-rpg fighting sequences.

Rep:
Level 87
No rain, no rainbow.
I use RPG Maker XP, 2003 and Game Maker (i am n00b in GM :/ )
and i want to find a 2D Shooting Maker 95 by Enterbrain but i need link to download >_< >_<
Sorry for my stupid English, I'm from Slovakia :)

Craftknight's rule
Story: 23%
Maps: 4%
Systems: 5%

Rep:
Level 86
Experienced Game Developer
Sphere pawns the free world. It is the only maker you would ever need to complete any 2d game you can imagine!
whatsthatlongbuttonatthebottomofmykeyboardfor?

Rep:
Level 87
I'm using RM2k3.
It's just easier for me to work with.

If I make a sequel to my game, I'll use XP.

Rep:
Level 88
Paradoxial failboats are cool.
I'm actally best with 2000.
I'm really good with eventing and I like the rtp.
I just don't like xp, and xp hates vista anyway....And I can't script.
The message below is false.
The message above is true.

Rep:
Level 86
I use Game Maker 7 Pro: Mainly because any resolution and any type of game, and I also use Rpg Maker 2000 because theres allot of patches out there. I only use Rm2k for Games like Legacy of Goku typed games even though everything done by pics since it's pixel movement.

Not a big fan of XP, I don't like Rgss I'm more of a C# and C++ guy.

Rep:
Level 86
M3G4 UB3R SUP4 H4X0R ULT1M4T3 PWN4G3!
I use RPG Maker XP, because i can use very usefull scripts in there  :D

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
What's with these people?!?
I used to use RM2k, I found it was very easy to use and had many useful options. I tried 2k3, but I didn't like it. IDK why. I use XP now, and I just love it, but once VX is released here, I'm getting it immediately! XD It looks like it's gonna be uber, it'll be as useful as XP and asa easy as 2k3! Aproximately, but yeah...

VX = Vista + XP? LOL Just something I thought of. Well, VX CAn be used on Windows XP, soo...yeah.

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
I use 2k3.  I like eventing, and don't know shit about scripts, but i'm considerng upgrading to xp or vx (big debate.....)
I like 2k3, but there are some things from the newer versions i'd like to be able to do, like ABS, or having speech above the char head instead of just at the bottom of the screen or icons for items....that type of thing...mainly little aesthetic differences i'd like, only some bigger things i want, like ABS for one of my projects.
But for now, 2k3 is the one for me  ;)

Rep:
Level 86
I use R2K.
I too find it very easy to use. I do have to consider to switch to 2k3 because 2k's Battle's suck tremendously.

Rep:
Level 86
Sonic Dog -> Light Spear -> Overlimit -> Slash
It's RM2K3 for me, I just like that old Final Fantasy 2 feel. Well, that and I'm terrible with XP's controls, hehehe...

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Now that I have a computer that can run it, I prefer XP. Maybe VX, if I ever get an opportunity to use it sometime in the near future.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
I have used 2k3 for a while. But my computer's being stupid so i'm screwing around with VX now. Not long enough though for me to make any comparisons though.

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
Project of the Month winner for May 2009
2k3 is my poison of choice. I'm more comfortable working with graphics of lower resolution, and the sheer number of resources for 2k/3 helps a guy like me who is pretty good at utilizing art, but not making it himself.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
RPG Maker VX added to poll, vote per person changed to 2 since many use and prefer XP and VX the same.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
<3 scripting for VX, it's so much easier and better organized
I just wish the Database and Mapping didn't put me off so much, or I might actually use it.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
<3 scripting for VX, it's so much easier and better organized
I just wish the Database and Mapping didn't put me off so much, or I might actually use it.
I'll have to agree on that, despite my incompetence in RGSS2 still.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 84
This is my most active account.
the thing with VX that makes it suck is the battle system.  :(
I don't know why Enterbrain decided to make it frontal again...
It's all back to RM1999. >.<

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
there's an RM1999?

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
there was in 1999.

People keep quiet about it these days.

No doubt we'll all have sort of FBI tracking/"expulsion" on our asses soon.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
there's an RM1999?

there were
RM'95, 2k, 2k3, XP, and VX, to my knowledge.
VX is a throwback to 2k imho

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
VX is a throwback to 95 more like. right down to the sprite style and mapping layout.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
agreed -_-;

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
I tried to get into XP/VX, but I'm good enough to work the RGSS (even though I know I don't need to use it.)

I like using RM2K3 for that old-school kind of look, plus that's what I've been used to.

I'll probably upgrade after I learn the scripting process.

Rep:
Level 84
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
I use RM2K. The battle system keeps things simple in terms of resources, especially when trying to create original characters (no need to get someone to draw them out for you like RMXP or to produce loads of sprites for the battle system like RM2K3). I'm pretty damn good at eventing using the RM2K systems, so much so that RMXP annoys me when I notice certain eventing options are missing because it's assumed you will code them. Also, I don't have to worry about people whining because I don't want to spend ~£30 on the Maker when I won't even get a hard-copy of it (I refuse to by any software that does not come with a hard-copy). And about a thousand other reasons.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
I tried to get into XP/VX, but I'm good enough to work the RGSS (even though I know I don't need to use it.)

I like using RM2K3 for that old-school kind of look, plus that's what I've been used to.

I'll probably upgrade after I learn the scripting process.

remember the colouring rules, Bok ;o;

Spoiler for:
I was kidding about the purple thing, but really, please refrain from typing in green  :tpg:

Rep:
Level 84
I'd like to vote for the RPG2k 'coz that's my 1st stuff I've used for 4 years... but RPG XP is now a blast!
-Arus Jeim-

Deep Dungeon: Hero of the Trine Seal
                  12% Completion

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
I like chocolate :P
I <3 XP.  When my free trial expired, I was really pretty sad.  I tried a trial of VX, but because the graphics were so bad, and there were very few graphics to use, I didn't even try it.  I used to try to use Game Maker, but it was constantly having stupid problems and I couldn't really get it to do anything, so now I just use it to edit some sprites. 

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
i chose, RMXP and RM2k3. RMXP because it has great graphics, and you can do almost everything with easy made scripts. RM2k3 because it has an easy interface, and alot of option.

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
I work with RMXP and RM2k3. RMXP since it's got scripts and excellent music and graphics, and RM2k3 since it's got the world map tileset (a cheesy reason, but I'm serious :P), it's got an easy interface and it seems like it's easier to program complicated things with it. I also use Game Maker to test out my skills. But I never release anything made with GM. I tried, believe me, it was a sight to be horrified by.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
I use Rm2k(Warrior Dee's RPG) and I am starting to use RMXP since it's legal and more flexible than rm2k.
Hi

Rep:
Level 82
I am that I am.
I prefer 2k3, I don't use 2k at all any more. To make a food comparison 2k3 is a quarterpounder while 2k is just a hamburger, NO CHEESE! I LIKE CHEESE!

I'm impressed with XP's flexibility but lack the time or motivation to explore it properly lol. Maybe I'll get onto it, I'm hearing some cool stuff about it. I'll just have to script that damned battle system, I hate the first person view thing.
As a dog returns to his vomit so too does a fool to his folly.

Rep:
Level 82
I still maintain that RM2K3 is the best one (for me), though I'm using RMVX a lot more now over RMXP, mainly for the additional stuff in RGSS2, although I'm not that good at scripting...yet! I will often go back to RMXP just for the versatility of resources etc.
Current Projects:
* Ars Mechanicum 1: Genesis (RMVX)
* The Gladiator Project (RMXP)

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
I prefer XP and VX. As far as the RTP goes, XP comes with the best stuff, but VX has the potential for greater utility.

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
I use RMXP basically because its the first RPG Maker i ever heard of and after I got into RPG Maker and looked at older 2k3 and 2k games, I did not like the graphics at all. Im usually not a graphics guy but they just looked wierd to me

Rep:
Level 76
<3 XP
I've tried 2k and 2k3 and honestly I can't get past the graphics. What would you rather do? Make a good game with crap graphics OR make a good game with good graphics? Pretty self explanatory IMO.

I used to use GM6-7lite and I loved it I made a bunch of really simple games and stuff, GM was my gateway drug to RMXP I love RMXP a ton.

Nowadays I rarely use GM6-7lite, BUT I still use GM8Lite for a really pretty simple yet effective "art program" Works very well for resizing stuff also.

And that's what I've got to say about that whole uh thing.

EDIT: Wow, oops. That  was quite the rez... Sorry :(

Completion: ██████████40%
Demo: ██████████70%

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
well, i like the rm2003 graphics ;)

but i like the XP engine to use, i prefer it from VX, even if the VX its the newer! ;)
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep:
Level 76
<3 XP
I've tried VX I just like XP much more it all seems better and more realistic in a way.

Rep:
Level 76
I love minus rep! :D
I Love the graphics of VX :D
I kinda hate the XP graphics :(
And i cant really say more than that xD

Rep:
Level 76
<3 XP
Everything does end up coming down to ones opinion after all.

*cough* XP ftw *cough* :D

Rep:
Level 76
I love minus rep! :D
*cough* probarbly true *cough*
What do i know im just a newb xD

Rep:
Level 76
<3 XP

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
it's a matter of opin, not of skill x)
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Rep:
Level 76
<3 XP
That does make a lot of sense. But I can assure you; my opinion is indeed a fact when it comes to my mapping skills with XP.
Spoiler for Skills:
Mediocre at best
Spoiler for:
Wish I could be epic proness but I'm not. :[

But anyhow I still love XP

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
RMRK Junior
i'll have to go with XP since its the only one i tried and am trying. its got a nice learning curve.
Some know me as the tainted one...

Rep:
Level 75
I have tried both VX and XP I do not know which one I like better at the but moment I am using VX because it is the only one I have on my new computer.

Spoiler for:

Spoiler for:
John 3:16: For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life

Rep:
Level 82
IT ALL ENDED.
i've only heard about vx,
and from that i can say XP is better - why?
better customization, more maps,
but for newbies i'd say vx is good for learning

Rep:
Level 75
yeah I agree VX is more user friendly but XP has allot more features.

Spoiler for:

Spoiler for:
John 3:16: For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life

I'm a liar.
Rep:
Level 73
I am the Epic awesome; I am the Awesom epic
RPG Maker VX. It's my first and only love.
Is it illegal to kill a man because it's a sin, or because war weren't declared?

And is this how you would treat an "idiot", dear sir, or is it just how you troll?

Rep:
Level 75
I am starting to like VX more jest because I have been using it for so long and some really good scripts have been written for it.

Spoiler for:

Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 81
I can't understand how people prefer XP over VX.
Sure the graphics appear to be "more realistic" and the use of different tilesets also adds cool possibilities (Although differents tilesets are not that hard to use in VX), but the thing that puts me off most is the unavailablility of good resources. Especially the scripting community appears to be way bigger for VX.
I often find myself in the situation, that I want to start a project with XP, but lack game-improving scripts like the KGC ones for VX or smooth, non standard battle systems.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
STOP

NECROPOSTIN

ARGH.

Rep:
Level 81
Sry, thought stickies would be an exception.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Only ones that really have any relevancy. If someone else had jumped on it would have been fine. But its clear noone cares, so move on.

Rep:
Level 92
This one is relevant every couple of months.
I much prefer the posts gathering in this topic rather than a new topic being posted each time.

There are still more scripts for XP and VX, but it does seem like there are more active VX scripters than XP scripters.

*hugs*

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
I love RPG Maker 2000. Just because it looks old school.
Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!!

Rep:
Level 69
RESIDENT ADONKADONK
(Would this be considered necro'ing?)
I love VX because of the scripting, notetags, and the database, which I find a lot more manageable to use than XP's.  Before I came across XP, I was using 2k3, which I find far better than 2k. 2k3 was my way of creating something like the final fantasy games.
But now, even with VX...

I'm back.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
i belong to the vx fan club

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Never fear anything.
I love RPG Maker 2000. Just because it looks old school.

I don't know what it is, RM2K just has that oldschool feeling XP and VX don't have. And it's always kind of a challenge to find out what kind of crap you can make using events that was never intended to be made in RM2K.

If I were truly serious about making a long game, I'd pick XP though. It's scripting capabilities are very cool.

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
I know this a necropost, however, I think it would be cool to take a screenshot of the current results, have everyone re-vote (add in new program options like VX Ace), and see what the new trend is...

I STILL use XP personally.

Sidenote - don't kill me for reviving a topic.

Edit: Here's a screenie for the current count User count
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:17:04 PM by Spirit »
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Rep:
Level 41
Bronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer
VX Ace here. I still like to use VX every once in a while, but Ace just suits my needs too perfectly.

I still DO love to tinker around with XP, though.

Rep: +0/-0Level 64
RMRK Junior
I am hesitating at the moment between XP and VXA... VXA seems so sexy with all this scripts ... but for really making games... not just play with scripts... maybe a first game with XP is more efficient.

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
VXA seems so sexy with all this scripts ...

There's alot of scripts for XP as well, and not just on this site, but other sites as well; I think comparatively, there's more scripts for XP. You just need to know where to look for them  ;)

Rep: +0/-0Level 64
RMRK Junior
That's right but i observe many links are now broken and a more active community for vxa.  :-\  despite of That, i really like xp and the heretic 86's scripts demo make me enthousiast to start an xp project. I'm not very Lucky because the first script i want, the alternative attack formula don't work just in my program lol

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
I know what you mean! Broken links fan be very irritating. I actually use this database alot when I want a script: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?action=database

It would seem that VXA is more active here on rmrk, and XP still has alot of active developers on chaos project.. Hence why I am a member of both forum websites.

Rep:
Level 96
Dang man. The poll should prolly be reset.
I voted RM2k3 back in 2006. I haven't touched 2k3 in years.

Edit: The poll is also outdated, it doesn't even have stencyl or RMVXA.
Also, what's sphere? Never heard of it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:36:39 AM by Lord Stark »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 41
Bronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer
Sphere's an open source program that allows you to make SNES/Genesis-style RPGs.

Never used it myself, but it seems pretty cool, I guess.

Rep:
Level 102
I use STENCYL :tpg: :tpg: :tpg:

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
added stencyl and VXA, changed the poll question to something less rpgmaker focused

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
not that anyone gives a damn :V

Rep:
Level 96
I guess I use RM2k3? I did a long time ago, but I use RMVXA now. How old is this thread?
"sep 4, 2006"
Oh.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
Yeah, if I could change my answer to "other" that would be cool lolz.. I'm using XPA now, and yeah, pretty old topic haha. Come to think of it, I think this one very well might be in the top ten oldest and still active (and relevant) threads..

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
I prefer VX Ace for some things, but game maker for the rest. Making anything where the character directly interacts with something (like talking to an npc), I'd use Ace for. However, for games that don't involve a lot of direct character interaction (like a shooter game, or point and click), I'd use game maker for.

I used to use RMXP, but I always had to recheck the map collisions because of how the maps were done in the engine, and I'd spend more time on that alone than actual development. There were also other issues with RMXP that some users would have, that no-one else would, such as a script hang that I couldn't fix because of not knowing what happened myself. I got tired of the problems in XP, that's when I moved engines. VX Ace's maps aren't the greatest (could've used an extra layer), but they work far better, and I don't have to worry about the player going through a wall that they shouldn't.
Check out