RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Composers: What do you use?

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Hey guys, guess what?

I just got back from a music tech seminar where the assistant dean of guitar basically bashed people that use loops to compose for 50 minutes straight.

He was all like "you didn't actually compose anything because you're just using someone else's work (the loops) and arranging them!"

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Haha, I thought that said "assistant clean," which brought forth a funny image of Mr. Clean as a drill sergeant.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
where can I get this loops sounds fun.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Lol, I make my loops myself, I never use external ones. :D It ain't fun that way. If you want a program with done loops, get an e-Jay. I used one and it is very limited, exactly because you have to use the prerendered loops and can't create own ones.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:24:44 PM by Blizzard »
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
:=

omg you postedin3d haxxxxxxxxxxx

And I support bashing Loopers.

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Grrrg, I just started using Finale songmaker, had both songmaker and notepad open (for reference to re-write music) and songmaker errors. Now I've got to redownload it. -_- This time I'm printing the music and writing from a hard copy.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Rep:
Level 88
Whoever thinks that electronica is fake and music that isn't is real should be shot. Actually no, I'd rather them murdered brutally.

I've been using FL for a year now, my pirated copy of 5 XXL... decided if I start something like this at the age of 13 I'll learn quicker. And of course it's been a trial and error process but I've gotten way better at it, it's amazing just how much.

Lol, I make my loops myself, I never use external ones.  It ain't fun that way.

Well... you wouldn't kill me if I said I use the default plugins, downloaded soundfonts and the usual stuff you find in "Packs > Dance" now would you? Besides even if you use a default loop in the dance area you can still edit it to make it sound different that what you'd use them for. I was told by someone to never use a preset on FL (as in preset effects, plugins) and I agree, always mess around a bit, tweak with the knobs - experiment and you'll find that some stuff you can make out of them is really amazing (this excludes DX10 Tinkle, that synth is pure pwnage - I haven't been able to think of anything to make where it fits though, besides my latest IDM Experiment).

I don't know any but real composers use FL, but more people tend to go toward Reason (I so badly want this).

He was all like "you didn't actually compose anything because you're just using someone else's work (the loops) and arranging them!"

The same can be said for someone who plays a guitar they never made. Can't it? Unless he means loops that are actually long, like a piano melody and stuff like that. Then my guitar comment is void.

I've been using FL for over 3 years now (I haven't nearly touched for a year, BTW... -_- ), yet I STILL don't know all of its features and possibilities.

I've learnt so much within one year my head feels like it will explode - finally my stuff is starting to make me say: "Yeah... I really like that."

And anyone who uses FL doesn't use it to loop loops. But to use the synths. Am I right? Besides FL has some really good effects, combinations are endless.

I suppose I'm new to this all with only a year of experience, but my caregroup teacher sure likes the program.

EDIT:

Bought a keyboard teaching myself how to play... I want a MIDI cord or whatever the thing is to connect it to the PC though.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 04:08:00 PM by ataraxy2 »

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Whoever thinks that electronica is fake and music that isn't is real should be shot. Actually no, I'd rather them murdered brutally.

Lol, I agree. Electronic music has as much effort put in as conventional music.

decided if I start something like this at the age of 13 I'll learn quicker.

You lucky bastard. ;) You do know that younger people can learn faster, do you? ;) I started out with about 16. It's been over 4 years now, wow...

Lol, I make my loops myself, I never use external ones.  It ain't fun that way.

Well... you wouldn't kill me if I said I use the default plugins, downloaded soundfonts and the usual stuff you find in "Packs > Dance" now would you? Besides even if you use a default loop in the dance area you can still edit it to make it sound different that what you'd use them for. I was told by someone to never use a preset on FL (as in preset effects, plugins) and I agree, always mess around a bit, tweak with the knobs - experiment and you'll find that some stuff you can make out of them is really amazing (this excludes DX10 Tinkle, that synth is pure pwnage - I haven't been able to think of anything to make where it fits though, besides my latest IDM Experiment).

Oh no, I DO use different sounds from the package and I DO use external sounds, but I don't use external loops.

I've been using FL for over 3 years now (I haven't nearly touched for a year, BTW... -_- ), yet I STILL don't know all of its features and possibilities.

I've learnt so much within one year my head feels like it will explode - finally my stuff is starting to make me say: "Yeah... I really like that."

And anyone who uses FL doesn't use it to loop loops. But to use the synths. Am I right? Besides FL has some really good effects, combinations are endless.

Totally. FL is great for making your own music and producing it. :) There should be a topic in Creativty Outlet with a collection of my songs. :)

EDIT:

Lol, here: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,9814.0.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 04:22:17 PM by Blizzard »
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
Blizzard you really seem like a cool person.  :) And you being a cool person who uses FL ^^. Anyway, I originally joined these forums for XP - I know my XP goals will never happen, but it's great to know that there are actually likable people on the forums (if you've ever been on CoN, EoFF, IMDb then you'll understand me so well).

You lucky bastard.  You do know that younger people can learn faster, do you?

I don't know... what I've made seems rushed (It isn't, it just used to have bad sound quality, that's a problem with me on FL). And as for that I hope you're right - and seriously the amount of stuff I've learnt is incredible - I quit it for ages when I felt like I was getting nowhere... then came back to learn heaps. I was like WTF! WTF!

Gonna look at your songs now! ;D Not into the Techno/Trance type songs used to be (read: DDR, ain't played THAT in a while, gotta get around to playing tens!)(depending on what people think t/t is, most mainstream freaks have no clue) I am into IDM though :) And a little of NIN, but they are Industrial IDM so. ANYWAY *shuts up and listens*

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
I am more a Trance type. Progressive, Goa, Hardtrance etc. :) Fact is, you have to put a lot of effort into that, before you start getting good results. I have made over 100 songs for now and only 20~30 really are good.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
I've made 51 this year... a fair few are unfinished and plenty of them are shorties and/or just melodies I loved that couldn't think of how to expand on, many are experimental and me learning: advice from my favourite artist: "Even if you don't like it at the time, render it anyway - one day you might." Unfortunetely I read that AFTER I deleted something that months later I regretted ::) - some are weird remixes to songs like this type of thing...

http://www2.planet-mu.com/media/discography/ziq030_15_hi.mp3

Whilst not all are serious my effort is usually the same... if you've ever heard: "He Drinks Tequila, She Talks Dirty in Spanish" and "The APL Song" I'm proud to say I ****ed them right up.  ;)

:o I just looked through my collection and found an archived Sandstorm remix. (See, I don't even remember some of the stuff I make).

EDIT:

Listened to a song of yours "Time is Running Out (Right Now)" - I like FX_EH too.

And on a completely un-related note I can now add and take REP. And the + and - is ugly as. I was expecting a nice shinning green + and a red (but still shiny) -!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 04:51:26 PM by ataraxy2 »

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I'm too lazy to put images in there ;9 It'd actually be alot of work, seeing as its like hard-coded into SMF to use text ~_~

Also, you should start a thread for your stuff =)
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 88
Also, you should start a thread for your stuff =)

I presume this was intended for me. Otherwise feel free to make me feel like an idiot, ain't felt like one in awhile... :)

Oh heavens no! Only I like my stuff! And er... I'm a little inexperienced *embarassed*. Besides my WWW link leads to my stuff anyway, so if you're curious click - most of the ones at the top are better than the bottom ones.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 05:38:24 PM by ataraxy2 »

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I would love to see Halo and Blizzard collaborate on something. You know, where Halo writes some arrangement and Blizzard adds some synths and beats to it.

Rep:
Level 88
I tried collaborating with someone, and it failed. We made a really depressing melody though. Most collaborations always screw up in the Electronica genre and it's understanding why...

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
I have remixed Sandstorm like 3 times, lol! The first Mix was kinda crap, the second RMX was not that bad, but it wasn't good either. Now the last one is kinda ok.

I would love to see Halo and Blizzard collaborate on something. You know, where Halo writes some arrangement and Blizzard adds some synths and beats to it.

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,9842.0.html

The thread died so far... (-_-')
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
Aww... that's actually really sad Blizz. Remixes are fun, they work charms! I remixed a song my friend made (Orgasmix) - I think I uploaded on "my link" but I'm not sure... checks. It's rather simple but still cool. (if it isn't there I'm going to upload now, regardless).

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
When you post your music, I will listen to it. ;D Can't wait! ;D
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 96
You know what I came to realize, recently? It's the reason why programs like Sibelius and Finale bother me so much, and why I love TabIt so much.

In Finale and Sibelius, you can fuck up your entire song just by clicking in the wrong place. You could move a note by accident, or add one by accident, or even remove an entire section just by clicking. It makes everything seem so ... volatile, and makes me uneasy. GuitarPro is like this, too.

I like to be relaxed when I write, which is why TabIt kicks ass. You can click anywhere on the input screen and you won't change a damn thing aside from where playback starts.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
You'd only move a note on accident if you had the Repitch Tool active, and you'd only erase something if you had the Eraser, of the Mass Select and pressed backspace. Besides, if you DID somehow mess something up, that's what Ctrl. + Z is for.

Then again, if you hated using the mouse so much in writing music, you can use the keyboard in Finale as well. It's quicker actually.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
I use a MIDI controller, personally.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Aha.

No doubt TabIt is better for Rock-ish type songs as well. Finale interprets that kind of style strangely.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 88
Well the new FL 7 is out. :P I got the demo, can't find a crack from my sources. So... I'll just have to wait.  >:(

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
OMG, already? What are they doing? Adding like 2 features and upgrade the version?!
Visit our website.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Haha, I was about to post something similar.

I remember seeing FL 4 originally, then later used FL 5 and was like, uh, what's different? I see they changed the background, that looks to be about it.

The FL 6 came along and it was the same old thing =/
bringing sexy back