RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Npc transformation?

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
is it possible to make a npc transform during an event

Rep:
Level 91
Yeah.. use a switch, and make another page on the event, with the Precondition being the switching.
Current Game:
The Benevrin: Sovereignty Spheres
Completion
19%
Release Date
March 12, 2006

Most Recent Photograph
Photo Too Graphic to show a thumbnail

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
nvm that was a dumb question...

Rep:
Level 91
err... a far better way is to make a move event and use the change graphics button this way you can change the graphics of all the events from 1 event and move event will also let you move the other events Xx

and no question is dumb
holy shit my sig was big!

Quote from: blueXx
err... a far better way is to make a move event and use the change graphics button this way you can change the graphics of all the events from 1 event and move event will also let you move the other events Xx

and no question is dumb

WOW! blueXx gave an answer even I understood! In the move event button, there is a change graphis button. That easy!

Rep:
Level 97
i asked how to change the event sprites appearance...want to change your mind now?

Rep:
Level 91
No. That's the best way to do it. Why do you ask?

Rep:
Level 91
Quote from: Dr_Swordopolis
i asked how to change the event sprites appearance...want to change your mind now?

what in move event- change graphics didn't you get? -.-
it's far  better than doing so with pages  :roll:

but of course if you want to keep it changed after you leave the map and return you'll need a new page but i didn't see that part in your post >>

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
If you want to make a cut scene I'd say changing the graphic in the move event would be the easiest.
If you want interaction where new graphic = new functionality of the transformed NPC you should generally stick with making new pages. (You know, if his hair is black he'll say "Hi" and if his hair is white he'll say "Hello")
You don't need to use switches for that, but it's more stable to use and maintain than a no switch-using way. (There may be exceptions)

Let's have an example:

The local merchant got ill, so his youngest son has taken his place as the merchant.
This happened after the player have seen and talked with the local merchant.
The player comes back to the shop.
>Here we would like to another merchant, who sell other goods than before<

A way to utilize the

Rep:
Level 91
how can you possibly even compare the 2 ways?

move event change graphics is only for transformations that either change back or you can't leave the map and return

pages are of use only and only if you need it to stay in that graphic

now, during the event try not to use new pages at any time, if you precondition to the new graphic it's best that you turn the switch on only when the event is over and until then use change graphics in move event (needless to say, change it to the graphic it ends the event with)

each got it's use it just depends on your case, making a para or an autostart event will simply make it seem like you have no idea as for how to make that sort of a thing

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
I compared the two ways since they both can be used to solve a specific problem. What I however did not do, was showing another problem where switches+pages would not be a very favourable way to choose, which I should have done.

Quote from: blueXx
pages are of use only and only if you need it to stay in that graphic

I disagree. Pages can be quite useful when structuring the code. Well-arranged code is easier to manage and comprehend. It may be more convenient to use switches+pages. Once again it depends on the situation.

Like you I

Rep:
Level 91
I prefer switches to anything else, because it keeps the amount of type low in the area for commands.

Rep:
Level 97
Quote from: Dr_Swordopolis

i was talking about the "there is no such thing as a dumb question" thing

Rep:
Level 91
in that case, i am still not changing my mind.
you see, people ask about how to use switches..
some of them even need picture tutorials...
it's sick...
what's so hard about a simple on and off button? -.-

even worse when it comes to variables... it's 3rd grade maths for crying out loud