RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Copyright Inquiry (Trademark name use in describing my game)

Rep: +0/-0Level 31
RMRK Junior
Hey you great folks,

Just had a legal question, and yes it is a copyright one:

"How would I be able to use in my video game marketing slogan the words: FINAL FANTASY, without being held liable for copyright/trademark infringement?"

My example would be below:

"GALER combines the old school look and feel of an original FINAL FANTASY, with a new age survival horror atmosphere."

Is this even possible? Can I put: FINAL FANTASY (TM), or something??

I tried googling this and my head started to hurt... :)

Cheers!
-Graham
"All that we have is each other, and them..."

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
At the risk of sounding a bit rude, nobody will really care enough to kick up any stink. Just go ahead. You can reference FF.
bringing sexy back

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
Unless you're making money out of it and become successfully filthy rich, they won't really care.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
If you are comparing it to another game, thats done all the time, even by big companies.

"X game is like Y game, but with Z!!"

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Funniest MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Competing products are directly referenced in advertising all the time, especially computers and colas

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2011 Best Musician2010 Most Missed Member
It is perfectly legal to reference trademarked brands, titles, etc. in anything so long as you use common sense. If you make it unclear as to the origin or ownership of something, there could be cause for the actual trademark owner to take action (i.e. don't make it sound like you own or have anything to do with Final Fantasy, even vaguely). Anything tarnishing or slanderous would also be reason for them to take action against you, which is why often in advertising businesses refrain from mentioning competitors' products specifically and only generally, but there are ways to work around that.

In theory one could also take action if someone is using a brand name in some sort of commercial product as a generic use for a term ("xeroxing" as photocopying, "Band-Aid" for bandage, etc.), which is called trademark dilution. That obviously doesn't apply here.

And then there's the pure fact that, as Roph mentioned, Square Enix will never notice nor care, even if it weren't strictly legal (which it is). For what it's worth, and I'm not sure on this, you aren't supposed to put (TM) after Final Fantasy because you aren't the trademark owner and you didn't acquire the right to its use. Plus you aren't using the Final Fantasy logo. Plus putting (TM) is about as valid as using (c) for copyright; as in not at all.
:tinysmile:

Rep: +0/-0Level 31
RMRK Junior
Wow guys, thanks for the oodles of support!!

(and yeah, they're not gonna care :)  )
"All that we have is each other, and them..."