RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Game in a Week XIV: THE GENRE GRINDER'S REVENGE

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII

THE RESULTS

THIRD PLACE

Spoiler for:
Normal Mode:

Far from Home
by Netol

Hard Mode:

My True Love
by Ekima

SECOND PLACE

Spoiler for:
Normal Mode:

God Save the Queen
by Bluntsword

Hard Mode:

Endmemoria
by Boe

And, finally...

FIRST PLACE

Spoiler for:
Normal Mode:

Voz
by Exhydra

Hard Mode:

IT'S A TIE!
Lost Cause
by TopsyKrett

AND

Grace of Vil

by Hiromu

ALL SCORES

Spoiler for:
Spoiler for Normal Mode:
Rank| Game Title| Entrant| Genre| Score
1.| Voz| Exhydra| Horror| 7.58
2.| God Save the Queen| Bluntsword| Mystery| 6.33
3.| Far From Home| Netol| Horror| 5.83
4.| Ni Sekai| Gamer Luna| Romance| 4.58
5.| B.U.T.T.O.N.| Little Psycho| Humor| 4.49
6.| The Sickness| ZaMullet| Drama| 4.25

Spoiler for Hard Mode:
Rank| Game Title| Entrant| Genre| Score
1.| Lost Cause| TopsyKrett| Dungeon Crawler| 6.66
| Grace of Vil| Hiromu| Dungeon Crawler| 6.66
3.| Endmemoria| Boe| Point-and-Click| 6.5
4.| My True Love| Ekima| Dating Sim| 5.16
5.| Skyless| Lonefoxlaughing| Arcade| 3.08

DETAILED SCORES

Spoiler for:
Spoiler for Normal Mode:
Rank| Creator| Polish| Playability| Ingenuity| Entertain| Overall
1.| Exhydra| 8.67| 4.67| 9| 8| 7.58
2.| Bluntsword| 7.33| 5.67| 6.33| 6| 6.33
3.| Netol| 7.33| 5.67| 6.33| 6| 5.83
4.|Gamer Luna| 6| 3.67| 5| 3.67| 4.58
5.| Little Psycho| 4.3| 5.67| 3.33| 4.66| 4.49
6.| ZaMullet| 4| 5| 3.67| 4.33| 4.25

Spoiler for Hard Mode:
Rank| Creator| Polish| Playability| Ingenuity| Entertain| Overall
1.| TopsyKrett| 8.33| 5.67| 6.33| 6.33| 6.66
| Hiromu| 8.33| 6.67| 5.33| 6.33| 6.66
3.| Boe| 7| 6.67| 7| 5.33| 6.5
4.| Ekima| 5.67| 5.33| 5| 4.67| 5.16
5.| Lonefoxlaughing| 3.33| 3.67| 2.67| 2.67| 3.08

Spoiler for Original Post:
Introduction

After much discussion and planning, we've decided to let this one hit the light. In other words, GIAW XIV IS HERE! This time, we're going with what we call a "Genre Grinder Challenge". You may remember how this goes from the first one we tried. During this contest, you can actually choose to compete in either "normal mode" or "hard mode". I invite you to read on and learn more about the contest!~ :yuyu:

The Genres

Spoiler for:
First, choose if you'd like to compete in normal mode or hard mode. You may then choose what genre you'd like to make your game, but it *must* be selected from the lists below. The original idea was for the genres to be randomly given to you, but we decided to hold off on that. Yet, you still have the option of receiving a random genre. You only need to let us know to "randomize" you, if you're looking for an extra challenge!

Normal Mode
Note: For normal mode, the game allows a lot of flexibility. However, your game must exhibit a general atmosphere of your selected genre. You will be judged on how well your game displays that genre.

Spoiler for:
1. Humor
The point of a humor game is to make your players laugh. So, that's the simple goal here - to make a funny game!

2. Horror
With this genre, the point is to scare your players. You have to make your game creepy and all that horrific stuff.

3. Romance
The goal here is to make your players feel loved. No, just kidding. If you don't know what romance is, than you're a robot. B(

4. Drama
The emphasis is to make an emotionally moving game, with a focus on making the player feel a certain way while playing your game. This is not to be confused with the "Romance" genre. A good example of this would be To The Moon. The game can range from gloomy to heartwarming.

5. Mystery
This genre would have an emphasis on suspense, discovery, and all that fun mystery stuff. Think of keeping your players thinking - just like a good crime-solving detective game. Or you can get creative with it. The goal here is to make your players feel like they are solving a mystery, so to speak.

6. Text Adventure Game
This is a weird genre, but it's really easy to make. It takes a LOT of writing to make it successful, though. All you really have to do is make the whole game run through pictures and text.

Hard Mode
More credit goes to Zylos, for the wonderful examples!

Spoiler for:
1. Point-And-Click Adventure
Examples:
    King's Quest - Very simple to make, just have the player follow the mouse click to the destination. That's what most existing mouse scripts do already. If you're clever about it, you can even have the mouse also be what examines the environment by cycling between "walk here" and "examine this" type cursors.
    Myst - If you're good at drawing or know where to find decent background drops, you can use the mouse system for something like a first person perspective by clicking on points of interest on the picture and activating an event for it.

2. Arcade
Examples:
    Pong - I think a number of people have already made this before. Very straight forward, you just have to brush up a bit on your basic math and physics.
    Frogger - Perhaps one of the easiest arcade-like games to make. Just have a frog try to cross the map, and if any event-touch events get triggered... squish.

3. Puzzle
Examples:
    Columns - Not an easy game to make but very possible. You have a trio of events fall down the screen, and can switch the order/position of them while the first one is still moving. Then you cross check to see if any of the events match up three in a row.
    Professor Layton - Technically, the whole of the series can be listed as puzzle adventure games, due to the core of the game revolving around you solving logic puzzles and such. Sounds like an easy thing to shoot for for this category!

4. Dungeon Crawler
Examples:
    Diablo - Admittedly I barely remember playing this with Zeich, but it should be an easy thing to try to imitate in RPG Maker. Multi-leveled dungeon with legions of enemies for you to fight, sounds like a dungeon crawler to me.
    Dark Cloud - You're in a dungeon with ever floor like a maze, and you have to find that ONE enemy among dozens on that floor that has the key you need in order to proceed to the next floor. Sounds simple to do, and yet incredibly fun to play!

5. Stealth
Examples:
    MGS - The Acostrike team already made something like this, so stealth is definitely a possibility to make. You check to see if the player is in a certain location compared to the enemy and if the enemy is facing your way, and if they're visible... game over.
    Thief - Anyone remember this old computer game? With VXA, I imagine it's a little easier due to their region tiles, so you can determine which places are darker and which ones are not. If you're too visible in the light, you'll have enemies on your tail to deal with.

6. Minigame/Carnival
Examples:
    Sonic Shuffle / Mario Party - It's fairly straight forward. You have a main game and main story, and you keep score with dozens of bizarrely random minigames to play and have fun with. Only difficulty I foresee is AI, but that's part of the challenge!
    Warioware - Honestly, this is the genre I'm hoping to get simply so that I can make a super fast spree of microgame madness. Just lots of little minigames that take mere seconds, back to back in a fun manner. Easy!

7. Dating Sim
Examples:
    Harvest Moon - Though its full of a lot of things, Harvest Moon is the most common example I can think of. Pretty much, the goal of the game is to make other characters fall in love with you, marry them, and whatnot. Once again, you can feel free to get creative with it. Oh, but there IS a catch that makes this a little more challenging. It's very text-based, so you'd have to be sure that you're talented with writing.

Contest Dates

Spoiler for:
You will have one week to complete the game (or demo). HOWEVER, this is going to be a flexible week. Meaning: you can choose your start-up date. If you do not provide a start-up date, you will be expected to start on the default date, (Sunday) June 14th. Here's the options for starting/ending dates:

(Sunday) Start June 14th 12:00 AM - Finish June 20th 11:59 PM
(Monday) Start June 15th 12:00 AM - Finish June 21th 11:59 PM
(Tuesday) Start June 16th 12:00 AM - Finish June 22th 11:59 PM
(Wednesday) Start June 17th 12:00 AM - Finish June 23th 11:59 PM
(Thursday) Start June 18th 12:00 AM - Finish June 24th 11:59 PM
(Friday) Start June 19th 12:00 AM - Finish June 25th 11:59 PM
(Saturday) Start June 20th 12:00 AM - Finish June 26th 11:59 PM

*BE SURE TO TELL ME YOUR TIME ZONE!

Example: Say, I'm starting/ending on (Sunday) June 14th. That means I'd submit my project before 12AM on the 20th. To be safe, in this example, submit it by (Saturday) June 19th at 11:59PM. Make sense? :)

*Note: You can sign up for the contest late, if you wish. The latest recommended time to sign up is (Saturday) June 20th. If you sign up any later than June 20th, your project will be due on (Saturday) June 26th This means that you will have less time to work on your project.

*The judging period will START (Sunday) June 28th, and will last approximately two weeks, and is subject to change.

What to do when you complete your project:
Send me (acolyte) a private message with the download link to your project. You are responsible for uploading the project. After I receive your project, I will distribute a copy of it to each judge. We would prefer that you send your copy unencrypted. If you do encrypt it, do so at your own risk. That means that the judges will not be able to remove any bugs that hinder the gameplay.

Rules & Information

Spoiler for:
We meow have a general rules/FAQ list for contests. Hopefully, it's easier to navigate and includes all the information necessary.

Click here for contest Rules & FAQ!

Additional Notes and Reminders:

• Remember that we are doing a "flexible" contest week, so you will have differing starting times from everyone else. Be sure that you don't start until YOUR start day.
  • You will also have differing ending dates, so be sure that you're submitting your project at midnight (your time) on your specific ending date.

Scoring Guidelines

Spoiler for:
  • Polish (visuals and audio)
  • Playability (gameplay and general mechanics)
  • Ingenuity (originality and story)
  • Entertainment (the fun factor)

Awards

Spoiler for:
T.B.A.

• First Place (Normal)
  • Second Place (Normal)
  • Third Place (Normal)
  • First Place (Hard)
  • Second Place (Hard)
  • Third Place (Hard)
  • GIAW Completion Award: Awarded for submitting a game, regardless of placement.

Participants:

Spoiler for:
Anyone can participate, really. Well, obviously you'd have to be a member of the forum but, I digress.

Here's a list of everyone who's going to participate, and what their start dates are:

Total: 21
Submitted Games:11
Withdrawn/Disqualified Games:10

NORMAL MODE:
  • bluntsword - Mystery -(Sun) 6/20th - 6/26 [CT]
  • CrazyCrab - Mystery -(Mon) 6/15th - 6/21 [CEST]
  • Team ChezSandwiches - Text Adventure -(Sat) 6/20th - 6/26 [PST]
  • Team Kodi - Humor -(Sat) 6/20th - 6/26 [UCT]
  • Little Psycho - Humor -(Thurs) 6/11th - 6/17 [GMT+2]
  • Mekuso - Humor -(Mon) 6/15th - 6/21 [GMT +2]
  • Zamullet - Drama -(Mon) 6/15th - 6/21 [GMT+2]
  • exhydra - Horror -(Sun) 6/14th - 6/20 [PST]
  • Netol - Horror -(Mon) 6/15th - 6/21 [EST]
  • Sophist - Text-Adventure Game -(Sun) 6/20th - 6/26th [GMT]
  • Gamer Luna - Romance -(Sun) 6/14th - 6/20 [GMT+2]
  • It could be you!
HARD MODE:
  • boe - Point-And-Click Adventure - (Sun) 6/14th - 6/20 [PST]
  • joy - Point-And-Click Adventure -(Mon) 6/20th - 6/26 [GMT -4]
  • "Team ChugaChuga" (Yuyu & Dr.MC) - Dating Sim - (Fri) 6/19 - 6/26 [CST]
  • Ekima - Dating Sim - (Sat) 6/18 - 6/24 [CEST](+2)
  • Hiromu - Dungeon Crawler - (Sun) 6/14 - 6/20 [CST]
  • delyemerald2 - Stealth - (Thurs) 6/18 - 6/24 [GMT+2]
  • flapbat - Puzzle - (Mon) 6/20 - 6/26 [PST]
  • TopsyKrett - Dungeon Crawler - (Wed)17th-23rd [EST]
  • h0m3r0w - Puzzle - (Fri) 6/19 - 6/25 [CST]
  • lonefoxlaughing - Arcade - (Sat) 6/20 - 6/26 [EDT]
  • It could be you!

Judges:

Spoiler for:
The rules of the judges remains the same as always. However, we have the right to decline judge applicants, due to past issues with judges dropping out. We want to make sure that we can trust our judges. There will only be a maximum of 5 judges, as usual.
  • IAMFORTE
  • PhoenixFire
  • Countdown
  • Legacy

When Signing Up...

It's a lot of text, so I'll do this as a reminder. Tell me these 3 things when you sign up:

1. What genre you've picked (see "Genres")
2. What day you'd like to start (see "Contest Dates")
3. What your time offset is (see "Contest Dates")
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:50:08 AM by strike »

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Point-And-Click Adventure
(Sunday) Start June 14th 12:00 AM - Finish June 20th 11:59 PM
-1 offset
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
I'll go ahead and toss my name in the hat, because I never got to do this last time (due to hosting). ;9 I'll be taking classes by this time, but why not at least give it a try? ;o

Team: "Team ChugaChuga" ~ Me & DrMcChickenNuggets
Genre: Hard Mode: Dating Sim
Timezone: CST
Start day: Friday, June 19th

do u like my team name
i just thought of that lol!!
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I will toss my name in for judging

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
I will toss my name in for judging

As will I, since the hosting position was usurped from under me =p
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
Ugh ... what to do, what to do. I am going to enter, but I am not sure exactly what genre yet.

Also, I don't think any emails went out for notification.

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
I went ahead and send out a very humble email notification to everyone. It should take a bit for us all to get them. :)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I added in the judges and cleaned up the thread a little :) sorry, the thread looking so wonky was probably my fault, from when I copy pasted the template ;_; Feel free to change anything you don't like, I pretty much just edited the participants section and stuff ~
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
Artistic Dreamer
GIAW 14: 3rd Place (Hard Mode)
1. Genre: Dating Sim
2. Start day: Saturday, June 20th
3. Offset: GMT +2

^.^ (About time I challenge myself a little)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:45:02 PM by Ekima »

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I changed up the time offset wording a bit, because it was making me hella confused. Everyone can just tell me their time zone and I'll figure it out from there.

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
This is exciting. I want to participate.

I may.

But let me grind it over a bit.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
so I'm guessing you all loved my edgy email? purrfect B)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
so edgy, it ended up in the sewers section of my email :mad:

...spam ;9
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 87
I haven't played many dating sims and I've never tried to make one.

LETS DO THIS!

Hardmode: Dating Sim
Starting the 14th 12:00 AM PST (pacific)

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
More like Dating Sim in a week.
I'm the odd man out. :3

Spoiler for:
Also why can't I edit op? Stop oppressing me! >:(
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 84
I can judge if you need an extra one.

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
I think I'll also make a game, exempt from and awards of course.. Can't have a judge officially enter now can we? lolz.. I think I'll try my hand at a dating sim too, since I've never tried one, and ill start on it this coming Wednesday. Eastern time zone.
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Rep:
Level 87
Eh, The more I dive into the Dating Sim genre, the less I want to do it. Is it alright if I switch it to Normal Mode Mystery?

Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
Dungeon Crawler
Starting June 20th. Central Time Zone (UTC-06:00)

Hopefully I'm not busy then :O

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
Apparently love is in the air. :o
OP has been updated.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 11:15:29 PM by Acolyte »

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I wanted to make a Dating Sim before it was cool :D
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 37
RMRK Junior
I...am incredibly nervous to be honest. This will be my first contest. Also, since this genre is before my time, I'm a bit nervous. I'm determined, however, to do a great job and show something I can be proud of.

With all of that said:
1. Text Adventure (Easy of course lol)
2. June 20th start date
3.-4

**also! I'll be working with a team! Team ChezSandwiches
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:28:29 AM by Chez »

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Naaah, don't be nervous. :-) We don't bite!

Also, we've probably seen the worst there is already by this point! ;)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep: +0/-0Level 70
RMRK Junior
Participant - GIAW 11
Ohhh Finally!!! Been waiting for this years GIAW. I had been in two of those so far and each year had tons of fun.  :) Definitely joining this year's one too! Gotta get a better place this year though.

Team: "Team Kodi" (Just me)
Genre: Normal Mode (Humor)
Timezone: (UCT)
Start Day: Saturday, June 20th