RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA] Menagerie: Remastered!

Rep:
Level 74
He with the Grin to Scare Young Children

This game contains intermediate coarse language, subtle and slightly humorous biblical jabs, several violent (though goofishly animated and cartoony) scenes and enough epic over-saturated brilliance to bring Hitler back from the dead and restore his artistic drive. If you feel you may be offended, check up on the Crazy Chimp Collective Tolerance Advisory.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UxocErGsdI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UxocErGsdI</a>
Spoiler for:
Back in 2013 I released this game as a full version to the public. Unfortunately, I don't think the game quite stacked up to what I had in mind for a multitude of reasons, in this topic I'll be going a little into why, as well as a plethora of other things; such as what this game has set out to achieve and what I've learned during it's egregious cycle of development.

The game was initially released on 12/24/2014, contrary to the desired date a single day before. It was Published on Desura on 02/07/2015, and exploded beyond comprehension, temporarily ascending above Half-life in rank and gaining 6000+ profile views.

The project as a whole is cripplingly over-ambitious, however it's everything I wanted it to be, but that won't stop me adding more onto it. Keep your eyes peeled around late May.
Spoiler for:
So to know why this game was remastered in the first place, we have to look at what the game originally set out to achieve. Ultimately I think that among other issues, the games deviation from it's original message was one of its faults. Originally Menagerie was (and still is) a game that was born purely to fly in the face of archetypes, in essence it was also going to feel like a search for home, perhaps a home that didn't even exist, the game is about feeling lost or outcast and still being able to pull through all that and succeed against on overwhelming enemy.

In Menagerie's release, this message was there, but buried amongst other stuff that just made most players utterly confused, this is mostly the reason I felt this game deserved a Remastering, there's such sayings like keeping your eggs in one basket, or "less is more", trying to tackle ten or upwards political standpoints is very ambitious-- probably foolhardy; especially in a game that only has 5 hours worth of plot. In Menagerie: Remastered, there will be a lot less or even no focus at all on those subjects, and going back to it's roots.

The game's story is based around short-circuiting a large invasion brought about from the Galaxion Empire, four oddballs are chosen and assembled under "The Menagerie" to accomplish this task. This plot is helped along by two defectives of the said empire. Tac Talismina and her genetic son, Spooky Schema, who is one of the Menagerie himself. I think Tac as voiced by Kate Holden may do a better job of explaining this than I am.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW1cNcshtEM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW1cNcshtEM</a>

Thanks are also to be extended to BasilMeer, my employee who did the voice acting for Gerald in that video.
Spoiler for:

Spoiler for:
  • Menagerie boasts a deep and well balanced sideview combat system. With buffs and debuffs you'll come to rely on, every boss has thoroughly tested and well implemented mechanics, and strategy is a huge part of winning. If you go in with the assumption spam attacking will let you win, you'll find you're gravely mistaken very quickly.
  • To compliment it's combat, the game harvests a gathering and fusion system, which allows you to break and collect resources from your surrounding environment and use them to make items of varied use.
  • If the several hours of Linear gameplay content weren't enough, there is a very big focus on optional content, this is especially evident later in the game, where the Origin Galaxy is opened up to the player and you can explore several intriguing alien worlds and defeat optional bosses who provide a very real challenge.
  • The game boasts seven intense video sequences the likes of which very few rpg maker games see. These help greatly in defining what is going on and are epic cinematics to boot.
  • Each character is well thought out and has a skillset fitting of their personality. Each has a unique favorite stat and several personality quips and disorders to round them out.
  • Each world is polished with love and attention to detail, making exploration not only rewarding, but enticing as well.
  • Several tiers of optional content open up as you progress in the current tier, and 4 whole weapon tiers are devoted to Optional conquest, as well as several new zones.
  • Amidst the turn based battles, several player-dependant events are also available, fighting a villain while riding a meteor through space and taking a warship head on are only two of many examples.
  • Custom graphics
  • Custom soundtrack
  • Over 50 enemies
  • 100+ Items
  • Progress-based leveling curve.
Spoiler for:
The first half of the game is played mostly on Nadine, it is a paradise planet much like Haven and Earth. With foliage, water, breathable air and no weird rules. It's dominant species is humanoid, consisting of Elves of three varieties, Dwarves, Goblins, Halflings and as hinted at briefly, Saramarin Humans and Beroshian Bearmen at one point.
Galaxia is possibly one of the most developed Planets in the Origin Universe, with embedded politics, history, mechanics and rules very alien to human ideals. The Galaxion Empire call this Frigid sphere home, the copious blue coloring is caused by the lighting of their cities, which is the only light the planet generates, it's the power source that has made them feared throughout the galaxy, the lifeblood of the god of the universe, the galaxion Empire utilizes power from the Blue Sun itself.
An artificial planet designed and created by the Galaxion Empire, it's an entirely artificial and impressively sized postal planet capable of sending 'parcels' to any location in the Galaxy with the power of High Ordinance Cannons, it also serves as a refuge for survivors of Galaxion conquest. It's where Tac is located for the majority of the game.
While not a Planet, it could certainly serve as one... The Sovereign is the hegemonic flagship of the Galaxion Empire, commonly the Directorate are at the helm. It's larger than all of the other varieties of ships in the fleet combined and several times over. It contains several bays for Time Racers and refueling/repairing stations for ships of all Galaxion varieties, it itself generates Energy perpetually. It's very rare for a simple Galaxion Warship to be damaged to the point of combustion, the Sovereign is even tougher. It has enough Heavy Carapaced Plating to withstand a Blue Sun Energy Storm even when on emergency power. The Sovereign stands the tests of time and tribulation, it functions well beyond the Battle of Nadine.
The home planet of the Cloud Nymphs, the one race that even Blu isn't ashamed or scared of. The Planet has a Dark Core where-in dwells Shadow Pixies and other mysterious spectres. Typically the Cloud Nymphs and the Beneath choose to not mingle with each other in any fashion.

A digital planet which can't be landed on generically, you must instead proceed to the docking ring and take a digitransmaterializer to make contact with the planet's surface. This planet is home to the Bytepets and The Glitched, originally it was a Paradise Planet like Earth but while 'The Glitched' were testing virtual reality it caused the virtual world to become their world, though it's evident they didn't mind. They could easily undo it, but they don't want to.

This Planet also has a far more ominous purpose, something pertaining to a keeper of the gate.
Home Planet of the Dragonar, Wyrms and Galleons, the citizens of Draik are neutral and more often than not, are unwelcoming towards outsiders.
Home base of the Simian Space Pirates (SSP's), this Planet is one that is truly free, the inhabitants are typically neutral to outsiders who don't give them reason to carry a chip on their soldier. The populace is a jolly constitution of thieves, drinkers, pirates, smugglers and gambligants. They do what they want, whenever they want, at all times. The majority of the Space Pirates are Monkeets exiled or seeking refuge from Haven due to criminal acts, but any race is welcome among the space pirates if their teeth be gold, their avarice bold and their appetite like mold.
A lush jungle-laden planet of which Monkeets, Ratwring, Crocidilus and several other mammals call home. The Monkeets are the dominant species, often just called Monkeys (in slang) and have several lit towns dotted across the planet. It's common to find outsiders at Haven, largely due to it being run by a worldwide democratic union.
The Shattered Empire... It might have been a Paradise Planet at one stage but now it is all that remains of the Zirkovian Empire, among one of many planets the Galaxion Myriad have conquered. Despite the lack of a core the planet is still rampant with life, and some cities have survived the ruination.
The Prison Planet of the Ancient Ones, currently it's just a scenic walk about in game, given it's atmosphere as a Gas planet it's unlikely that anything mortal lives on it or anything immortal would choose to.
Yeah that's right, it's Planet Jupiter. That's all there really is to say about it.
The Angelic Pink Sun is the source of the Cloud Nymphs' power, the potent mystical energies have made even the Galaxion Empire far from game to assault the Cloud Nymphs, that hasn't stopped them from doing some shady things with the suns chosen, though.
The Heart and House of Origin, in this powerful star the creator dwells, this 'Sun' is more important than I care to let on. Suffice it to say it is an omnipotent star that also serves as a universal egg timer.
Spoiler for:

Spoiler for:
Release Day Trailer:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7HGwWuXr-Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7HGwWuXr-Q</a>

Evented Optional Boss Battle:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDfY5HZmju0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDfY5HZmju0</a>

The power of picture cutscenes:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoLt2V63akk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoLt2V63akk</a>

Those who ride Armageddon:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4yA2pe814c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4yA2pe814c</a>

48 Song Custom Soundtrack:
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:
Q: Are you trying to offend people with Galdath and Seradath's trolling deal?
A: No. The intent was for the humor of both parties, I am agnostic myself, and the idea of "God" being a huge troll just makes me chuckle, and since he's made every move to show us no different (if either bible is to be believed) I don't really see the harm. I knew it was a bit of a gamble to do any sort of religious tomfoolery, but I figured it would only offend extremists who I have no qualms of offending because they want to find offense in everything. Also you were warned, please refer to the CCC tolerance advisory.

Q: What will the "Offices" option do in the main menu?
A: Why don't you go and find out. >;]

Q: Spooky seems to know too much.
A: Unlike the other three members of the Menagerie, he's known his role for quite sometime, and given that even the Directors know of the Menagerie, it's safe to assume there is some sort of knowledge that can be found on Galaxia about it, particularly the Buttseat of Prophecy.

Q: Spooky sounds a lot like you.
A: He is me. I used my personality a lot more in him than I did the other members of the Menagerie.

Q: Why "12/23/14"?
A: It has both 12 (referencing Menagerie's release date in both 2012 and 2013) and 3/14 (referencing Intelligence's public debut and my first step to success, for more information on 3/14, please see this video.) in it.

Q: What's the price?
A: There isn't one! It's free.

Q: What will you come up with next?
A: I can't say for sure! But given this year is also hosting an IGMC, I think it's safe to say we'll find out.

Q: Holy shit this music is great! Any chance you will be giving this out?
A: The Music is mostly all in the game folders already, however, some specular tracks like the trailer music and such are bonus tracks and motivation to purchase the OST over here.

Q: I found a bug, what do?
A: Report it here ASAP and I'll fix it in a patch.

Q: What inspired Menagerie?
A: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm and it's additional race and class combos, which is what coerced me to question archetypes which then lead to this games idea. Other factors have tied into it, noticeably Invader ZIM and Star Wars, but it's really not like anything else.

Q: Who's your favorite character?
A: Either Fyori or Zardari. Zardari because he's a cold, ruthless homicidal maniac, Fyori because she's just fucking awesome, though it's really hard to choose! I like all of the characters now, yes even Gerald!

Q: Who did those hideously awesome tiles? WAS IT YOU!? ARE YOU RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS MSPAINT ATROCITY OF AWESOME?
A: Some was me, some was Apoc.

Q: But then who was fone?
A: *shrug*

Q: Are you hiring?
A: Why yes! We're seeking sound designers. If you want to apply, send an email to crazychimpcollective@gmail.com, you can PM me here, but it's more likely I'll catch wind of it if you send it to the company email.

Q: Did you pay for those tiles your using?
A: I sure did! I can prove it with the receipts in my email inbox if you won't just take my word for it.

I have a question that is so far unanswered!
Splendid, either reply to this thread or send an email to crazychimpcollective@gmail.com and I'll get to you. If I deem it worthy of public interest I'll place it here, too.
Spoiler for:
Given the games original public beta release date, the number 12 is featured prominently within the game, as is Pie and 314(in accordance to Intelligence's release date on the 14 of March, 2011)
-Every Galaxion's full name (Branding not included) is 12 letters in length.
-All of the Main characters have 12 letters total in their name.
-The Menagerie is formed on the strike of 12:00:00 until invasion. Spooky's Descent begins at 12:02:12 (Two-two-twelve, you could interpret this as 12 to 12, which you could then see as twelve hours till midnight, considering the world is tinted with an evening theme and stars around midday, it can be assumed that this is intentional and very deep-rooted and clever, but it's not.)
-Every main stat has 6 letters, which is 12 halved.
-Several important dates or locations have the number 12 or 314 in them.
-The game takes place 400 years before the Mayan Doomsday calendar summons Maw to attack Earth (2012) which makes the game relative to the Earth year of 1612.
-As of the game's present, there are 6 within the directorate (Slik, Vind, Asarath, Adashi, Orsa and Mayeena) and 6 who oppose them (Tac, Spooky, Fatty, Fyori Gerald and Zardari)
-The Galaxion ships collectively have 12 thrusters across their variety, the Time Racer has one, the Planet Eraser has 2, the Sovereign has 3 and the Warship has 6)

314 applies to how many characters of the main caste you start with, how many are left and many are killed off by the end of the game in reverse order.

Several employees procrastinated heavily, the Employer also procrastinated heavily.

Anything that looks realistic or really good is not by me. Perhaps this notwithstanding. Depends what you classify as really good.

The game has been in development over three years now.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:30:52 PM by BizarreMonkey »
Websites:

Social Media:

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
nice homestuck fangame

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
i like homestuck
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 74
He with the Grin to Scare Young Children
Ahahahaha god damn it.

It doesn't even use the music for homestuck or stuff anymore guys come on...

It's closer to invader ZIM than Homestuck jeez.

Just because Hussie and I have a similar MSpaint drawing styles and both of us use large music-ended animations.

Still, I ain't gonna try to twist your arm, I know if you'll play it you'll find otherwise.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 05:17:35 AM by BizarreMonkey »
Websites:

Social Media: