RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Wedding Cakes and Freedom of Business

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRK2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
No disrespect, but I'm unable to represent your sexuality on a goddamn cake because the physicality of it makes me uncomfortable to the point where I have to deny you service.

It's "uncomfortable" for them in a sense that it disagrees with their religion. Of course that's going to seem weird to all of you (and me), because we don't find the idea of Gay Marriage to be uncomfortable at all. I wish they weren't uncomfortable with it, either, honestly. I think the only reason it's an issue is because a belief that the term "marriage" has a specific religious definition or something complicated like that.

But uhhh... I'm not really here to defend the religious perspective because I don't agree with it, either. ;( I'm pretty much of the same opinion as irock on this one.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 04:07:15 AM by yuyu! »
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Once your "rights" start infringing on other people's rights, then you can't have that "right" anymore.

This statement holds no water. You have a right to free speech and to carry a weapon, but it's well established that property rights trump those.

This "right to have your cakes made for you at the specific establishment of your choosing" doesn't exist. I don't understand wanting to coerce people into defying their religious beliefs on their own property over dessert.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Once your "rights" start infringing on other people's rights, then you can't have that "right" anymore.

This statement holds no water. You have a right to free speech and to carry a weapon, but it's well established that property rights trump those.

I'm not understanding your point here. Using your right to free speech on someone else's property is infringing on their right of having a private residence. It's the same thing.

This "right to have your cakes made for you at the specific establishment of your choosing" doesn't exist. I don't understand wanting to coerce people into defying their religious beliefs on their own property over dessert.

We're talking about the right to be treated like everyone else. I already conceded earlier that they can deny them a cake with gay overtones or something, but if it's just a regular wedding cake and it just happens to be for a gay couple, it's discrimination.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member
We're talking about the right to be treated like everyone else. I already conceded earlier that they can deny them a cake with gay overtones or something, but if it's just a regular wedding cake and it just happens to be for a gay couple, it's discrimination.

We have a winner here, the bakery has the right to refuse service to anyone but it's contestable discrimination if they deny them a plain cake anyone else would get just because the people in question are gay

god bless america
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic

This. This is perfect. Sums it up quite well; couldn't have said that better myself.
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox

I'm not understanding your point here. Using your right to free speech on someone else's property is infringing on their right of having a private residence. It's the same thing.

Nobody is arguing that it isn't discrimination. Some people are just arguing that coercion isn't the right solution to discrimination from privately operating individuals and their businesses.

On the rare occasion that a business discriminates against gay people, consumers can take matters into their own hands. Leave bad reviews on Yelp. Contact the press. Tell people in your network about it. Hold a protest. No business wants that because it can financially cripple them.

I think we ought to think of all the possible solutions before resorting to beuracrats and their costumed men with badges and guns.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
On the rare occasion that a business discriminates against gay people, consumers can take matters into their own hands. Leave bad reviews on Yelp. Contact the press. Tell people in your network about it. Hold a protest. No business wants that because it can financially cripple them.
I understand exactly what you're saying and why, but allowing bigots to let their bigotry ruin their business isn't good enough. They shouldn't have the ability to employ their bigotry in the first place. The ability to fight back does not nullify discrimination.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRK2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
allowing bigots to let their bigotry ruin their business isn't good enough.

Not good enough? Wat?

Completely ruining someone's business could cause major financial issues for them (and possibly their entire family). Unless they've lucrative enough to have tons of money stored away (which isn't most family-owned businesses), there's a good chance that their family is going to go through some deep trouble. Many of them have to file for bankruptcy. Some might have to throw away all their hard work and pick up a job at the nearest McDonalds to support their kids. This is the worst case scenario, but this kind of stuff actually happens all the time.

Maybe some people are bigoted enough to deserve that, but it would sure take a lot for me to wish such hardships upon anyone and their family. Even if they've got a pretty rude opinion and are a huge jerk. ;9
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:17:23 PM by yuyu! »
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
But the problem is, that wouldn't even come close to destroying their business.

(I found the best numbers I could.)
Ok, so there were 10,000 gay couples who get married 2014 (in the entire US)
Now let's say there are only 50 bakeries (somehow) in the whole of america
That's 200 couples / bakery

now on the other hand we have the 2,189,000 breeder weddings
again there are only 50 bakeries
that's 43,780 couples / bakery

if all the gay couples chose not to buy cakes at those bakeries, they'd lose around 0.5% of their business
unless the bakery is doing VERY poorly already, that wouldn't take their entire business down
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It's not only gay people that would stop shopping at those bakeries - anyone else who is offended wouldn't, as well. Which is a really good chunk of the population - I've known more straight people that are fervent about Gay Rights than gay people. Or even anyone that visits the business's Yelp page, sees immensely negative reviews, and goes elsewhere. They could also close their doors because of backlash - which could come in the form of threats, prank orders, protests, etc.

That's the price they already have to pay for being a bigot. My point was to say, assuming their business does get ruined by their own (shitty) opinions, here are the consequences - which can potentially be dire enough as it is. Adding some other form of punishment on top of that just seems way too severe. These are very tangible consequences for intangible ideas and words.
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
it's easy for people to say they support something but when it comes down to it will they actually back that?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 102
it's easy for people to say they support something but when it comes down to it will they actually back that?
Why wouldn't they? I know there can be a disconnect between someone's opinions and their actions (such as being critical of Chinese factory working conditions yet still buying products manufactured in China) but avoiding the occasional anti-gay business isn't even an inconvenience.

Rep:
Level 96
unless more stores than you think are anti gay

how do i know that every store within 20 miles of my home doesn't want all the gays dead?

do you know?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 102
how'd the moon get there

come on

tide goes in

tide goes out

you can't explain that

come on

Rep:
Level 96
makes sense im sorry
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
Glad we can converse without haterade.

May I offer an interesting article I found on the topic?

Bake for them two

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero

Not good enough? Wat?
I wasn't saying that torrential financial trouble isn't punishment enough, of course that will have a gigantic impact. I was saying that letting them employ bigotry isn't good enough even if it will ruin their business.
To be fair I could have phrased it better.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 102

Not good enough? Wat?
I wasn't saying that torrential financial trouble isn't punishment enough, of course that will have a gigantic impact. I was saying that letting them employ bigotry isn't good enough even if it will ruin their business.
Why not? It's a non-coercive solution that strongly discourages the bigotry. I don't understand why you want politicians (the best people on earth) bureaucrats (the second best people on earth) and police officers (the third best people on earth) involved when it's not necessary.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
FUCK THE POLICE COMIN' STRAIGHT FROM THE UNDERGROUND

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Glad we can converse without haterade.

May I offer an interesting article I found on the topic?

Bake for them two

I'm glad I read that, if only to have learned the origin of the phrase "going the extra mile."

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Bake for them two

Huh, that's an interesting perspective. She's right that people are only turning away from Christianity as a result of those that choose to misjudge and condemn others.

Sadly, I encounter mostly holier-than-thou Christians, but there are a few good, bluntsword-like Christians out there. :-)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude

Not good enough? Wat?
To be fair I could have phrased it better.

The only issue is that making it illegal won't actually prevent such bigotry any more than fearing financial ruin will. If someone is going to be a bigot, then they are going to be a bigot. The only difference is the method of consequence. So, the question then becomes "which solution has less potential drawbacks?" Considering they will both stop bigotry. Short of mind control, you can't actual prevent such things from happening. Preemptively stopping it would be nice, but unfortunately not realistic.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Rep:
Level 96
There's something I've been thinking about.
Isn't this a law that allows people to be sexist? Not only is the basic "No gay cakes" sexist, doesn't this also allow them to deny a woman trying to buy a cake because it's against their beliefs for women to handle money? What if they decide that they can't make her cake because she's not wearing one of those head things?

sex·ism
ˈsekˌsizəm/Submit
noun
Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination on the basis of sex.

"A man can not marry a man." Why? "Because he's a man, but a woman can marry that man."
"A woman can not marry a woman." Why? "Because she's a woman, but a man can marry that woman."
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Yeah I see it as a huge Venn diagram of stuff. I get the why behind it (even if I don't support it - at least in this form), but it opens up a whole bad can of worms. It all boils down to multiple sets of morals and how to balance them. Any law on the matter would say one set is superior to the other, which is one reason why I support just letting (true) Capitalism run its course. If people actually dislike it to the point that they actually do something about it (rather than all talk no action), then a boycott would do wonders. Legislation on the other hand will usually bring out more religious debate from what I have seen in my limited 23 years :/

I also just think that even if the government comes up with the perfect law with the perfect intentions, they'd still manage to fuck it up somehow. I'm not really impressed with the U.S. Gov as a unit.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

a penis
Rep:
Level 35
is a vagina
2014 Best Newbie
ughhhhh

this thread

i can't

i'm having trouble breathing

so yeah i don't feel safe right now?
Spoiler for:
IF YOU ARE WHITE YOU ARE PROBLEMATIC
KILL YOURSELF
SERIOUSLY
JUST KILL YOURSELF
STOP HARASSING ME
THIS IS NOT A SAFE SPACE
STOP
UGGHHHHH
STOP BEING SO TOXIC
HOW MANY BOOKS ON TRANSFEMINISM HAVE YOU READ
WHITE MALE CIS PROBLEMATIC
STOP OBJECTIFICATION OF WOMEN
SLEEP WITH A TRANS WOMAN OR YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM (PROBLEMATIC)
STOP TRANS SHAMING
STOP WOMAN SHAMING
STOP POC SHAMING
I RAN OVER A COUPLE WHITE PEDESTRIANS AND SOME OPPRESSIVE STRAIGHT WHITE CIS MALE PUBLICLY SHAMED/HARASSED ME BY TELLING ME TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE BECAUSE OF HIS TOXIC MASCULINITY SEXISM AND TRANSPHOBIA
LIKE STOPPPPPPPPPPPP
THE FRAMERATE POLICE IS A HATE GROUP
GAMERGATE IS A TERRORIST ORGANIZATION
IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ME YOU ARE TRANSPHOBIC/SEXIST
YOU CANNOT BE SEXIST AGAINST MEN
YOU CANNOT BE RACIST AGAINST WHITE PEOPLE

PUT THIS IN YOUR SIGNATURE IF YOU AREN'T A SHITTY PERSON