RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How do you like your doors? (Interacting in the a fantasy world)

Poll

How do you prefer your interaction with doors in your games?

By walking into them face first!
1 (25%)
I'm a control freak. Nothing happens without my say so!
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
I was wondering what everyone thinks about how you interact with doors while playing a game in RPGmaker. VXA has a nice feature that allows you to make doors quickly, but by default these door are activated by player touch. Is this your preferred method when interacting with a door? I personally prefer when I have to hit the action button for doors that are above the player, but when it comes to doors below the player I like them to be player touch. Some people might find it annoying if they are forced into hitting the action key every time they have to go through a door, and that is something I want to avoid. Please let me know what you think about this. Since I am at the beginnings of my 1st project with VXA getting to know little aspects of game play like this I believe will go a long way in helping me create my project.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:23:54 PM by VianoceGames »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato
I like tapping a key to open doors

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Sunny side up.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
Sunny side up.

I don't know what you mean by this. XD
Do this mean you like it by player touch?

I like tapping a key to open doors

How about when the door is below the character? Still prefer hitting a key?

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
I'm ok with either, really.

Hitting a key doesn't bother me, and it ultimately makes more sense. Even with the door below the player, it seems more natural. I guess it's because hitting the button gives the player more control, like he/she is choosing when to open the door. =o

How about a poll for it? :B
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:08:11 AM by yuyu! »
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
For reals tho.
I like to have the player just walk into the doorway, I don't really like click open doors.
Also I like to place them one tile below the door when they exit a building. I don't really like when you start in the doorway.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
Also I like to place them one tile below the door when they exit a building. I don't really like when you start in the doorway.

Hmm, I'm going to have to play around with that. I was also just thinking about how when you enter a room the door is also shut behind you as soon as you fade in. I was thinking it might be a good idea to think about when animating cut scenes. When your character comes through a door he/she/it might close the door behind em.

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
For reals tho.
I like to have the player just walk into the doorway, I don't really like click open doors.

Oh man, I just had what I think is a good idea while having a joke to myself. I was thinking if it turned out that you were the only one that says you don't like pressing the button that I could make a check asking if it it's you "Are you boe?" then the doors would work accordingly. lol

Well my idea would be for me to try to make an options menu and have this as past of the options. This way the player can decide how they interact with the world.

I am kinda changing the topic here, but its kinda relevant. I'm going to tweak the title of this thread a little.

This will be really tough I think. At least for me. What else should belong in an options menu? Maybe change the theme.
That would be cool. It could also have an option to change the players walking speed, or toggle sprinting instead of having to hold it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:08:22 PM by VianoceGames »

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - StoryProject of the Year 20142014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
boe is meen and likes to barge into rpg people's houses :mad: :V

As for an options menu...I really don't know what makes a good fit. I usually don't mess with them and just play the game anyways, but I'm a simpleton. :( Yanfly has a pretty good options menu script that might let you add some custom ones, too. :] You can probably allow "boe mode" from there. B)
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest Member2013 King of RMRK2013 Best MusicianFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
For reals tho.

This. I mean, it's how most games (from the comparable SNES era, anyway) do it. We can trust that the character you're playing as knows how to open a door when they walk up to one and that they know how to shut the door behind them. Just like in D&D a player isn't made to make a check on opening a door unless it's locked or they're mentally challenged.

If it's good enough for Link to the Past and Final Fantasy VI it's good enough for me.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
For reals tho.

This. I mean, it's how most games (from the comparable SNES era, anyway) do it. We can trust that the character you're playing as knows how to open a door when they walk up to one and that they know how to shut the door behind them. Just like in D&D a player isn't made to make a check on opening a door unless it's locked or they're mentally challenged.

If it's good enough for Link to the Past and Final Fantasy VI it's good enough for me.

Great point, and great game references!

Maybe by default I'll make it so doors open by touch, and the option will make it by key-pressing.

As for an options menu...I really don't know what makes a good fit. I usually don't mess with them and just play the game anyways, but I'm a simpleton. :( Yanfly has a pretty good options menu script that might let you add some custom ones, too. :] You can probably allow "boe mode" from there. B)

Do you remember what the script is called? Maybe post the link here?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:59:10 PM by VianoceGames »

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
You can't just waltz into other peoples houses.

Also I feel like one or the other not a combo of both. Consistency is important in games.

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
Also I feel like one or the other not a combo of both. Consistency is important in games.

Good point. I would have to agree with you and change how I feel on the matter.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
hmm, then again i've seen it both ways. I'd say you could have both if say some doors were ajar and required a button press if closed.

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
hmm, then again i've seen it both ways. I'd say you could have both if say some doors were ajar and required a button press if closed.

Hmm, never thought of using a door partially open. Would look good in a cut scene. Nice comment.

Scripter
Rep:
Level 40
Crownless King
I like doors that are interactive. By interactive, I mean something like if I open it, I can see it being animated and produce real opening doors sound. It should be significant, simple and easy to comprehend. If you're wondering why I like this just for doors, its because it is a very important element on how the houses and all those things are viewed as well.

If you like my work, please do support me on Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/Soulpour777?ty=h