RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA][Updated]Time Event system - Now with demo!

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
Hello everyone.

I have here a 3 part (eventually 4 part) common event system that gives your game a sense of time! Ever wanted your games to turn from night to day as if by the flow of time? How about having your character look at a clock and see what the current time is in your imaginary world? Have you ever wanted shops to open and close at specific times, maybe even be closed all day during the weekend or because it is a holiday? Or even have NPCs lock their doors at night because the live in a shady part of town! Well with this Time Event system you can do just that! Don't just make the player think time passed, actually make it pass when you fade out the screen. :)

Art Credit: Dr. Mc -- Vianoce portrait

Eventually I'll be adding a calender system. Edit: The calender system is done. I am not going to add the screen shots for this one because it is kinda long and I am feeling lazy.

Instructions:
At the start of your game you will want to set the time you want it to be when your game begins and turn on the clock when you want time to start flowing. It'll look something like this.

And when ever your character is outside you will need to turn on the N&Dsystem switch and turn it off once once they go inside. You will also have to make sure every interior map has an event that sets the appropriate screen tone.

This system uses 6 switches and 10 variables and takes up 4 common events.
Switches:
1. Clock
2. N&Dsystem
3. Dawn
4. Day
5. Dusk
6. Night

Variables:
1.   Secs
2.   Mins
3.   Hours
4.   Days
5.   Weeks
6.   Years
7.   FixTime
8.   DaysofWeek
9.   DaysofMonth
10. MonthText

Bugs:
1. There seems to be a bug when changing the time too rapidly. When this happens the FixTime variable will fail to be corrected. and the clock display will read in a 24 hour format instead of 12 hours. I am not sure why this happens because the FixTime variable is controlled by a separate event than the one that controls time. I have tried calling the variable in a msgbox to debug it but I get an error saying Octal digit error... whatever that means. This seems to be the only variable that does this.

2. When the time is midnight the clock reads 12pm instead of 12am... This should be an easy fix, but if too many people have a problem figuring out how to do it then I will update the demo.

Demo: My first demo!
Time System

First up: is the TimeSystem:
Note: I like to make my common events look like scripts for aesthetics.

Next up: The N&Dsystem

And then:]/color] ShowTime
Note: I use a script for a naming box that uses \n{" "} in show text boxes. You will have to edit that out unless you happen to use the same script. This script is not part of the demo.

This event must be called from map events from objects such as clocks, or if you just want the time to be displayed.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:42:28 AM by VianoceGames »

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
This is pretty cool! :D

Whenever you're done with part 4, is it possible to release a demo? :)
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
Yeah, I imagine a demo would be pretty easy. That would help the lazy just copy and paste the common events instead of typing it out. :P I really didn't even think about making a demo and I think it is a great idea.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Right on! :-) Thanks again for sharing this!
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
Demo added

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I tried out the demo. :-) The system is pretty cool!

I love how me and that girl spent 50 years together. ;~;
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
Ha ha, I didn't really give it much thought. I was just keeping it simple.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Hey, nice work!

Maybe you could do a second version with seasons :yuyu:

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
O_O That is a good idea... Um... Hmmm... I wonder how I would do that. Maybe add weather in there too. The season event could control which version of a map loads? That way grass is a different color or there is snow on the ground. NPCs might be doing different things too, like a npc might be fishing during the spring, then the same npc be cutting wood in the fall.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:17:58 AM by VianoceGames »

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
A season could make changes in weather, ecology, and hours of daylight. Maybe Even change the intensity of sun light. Some animals might disapear from maps because they have gone into hibernation or have migrated. This could cause a change to where some monsters attack you and maybe even their strength from it being mating season or something crazy. Some people might have projects that require their players to harvest herbs and this could cause plants to become dormant from being in winter.

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
Ok, I made a really dumb mistake when I made the demo... When the day of the month is suppose to be the 20th It says the 23rd... I have no idea why I made this mistake but it is an easy fix and something I think you should be aware of if you copy and paste the events into your own project.

To fix it just go into the Calender event and scroll down to week 3 day 5 and edit the command.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:29:10 PM by VianoceGames »

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
The Common Event Time System - Seasons Expansion project is still on going. It is proving difficult, but I'm not going to give up easily.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Good luck, vianoce! We believe in you ;o;
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 43
Somewhat got a project? (\ô/)
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
The demo is really cool and astonishing.
Amazing what you did with eventing. :D
Is it possible to show up the time in the down left corner? (\s/)

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
The demo is really cool and astonishing.
Amazing what you did with eventing. :D
Is it possible to show up the time in the down left corner? (\s/)

Thanks! I can try to see what I can do. Do you mean the bottom left of the map?

You gave me an idea though; I'll try making something that shows the time on the screen when you press a key. I'll call the event "WristWatch" or "PocketWatch". :o

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
This system is coming along nicely! o.o

Awesome work, vianoce! :)
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 43
I allways got it in the bottom right, but guess left would be fine too. :D
I never expected, that game time is possible to do with eventing, amazing work. :) (\s/)

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
I allways got it in the bottom right, but guess left would be fine too. :D
I never expected, that game time is possible to do with eventing, amazing work. :) (\s/)

This is the idea I got:

I'm thinking about making the appearance optional between a scroll, a pocket watch and maybe something else.

Rep:
Level 43
That was exactly what I meant. :D
Sometimes I wished, I wasn't that noobish in eventing, so I could do it myself. :/ (\s/)

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
For time keeping I highly suggest you just keep the amount of total seconds in a single variable.
Conversion to hours count, week count and e.t.c. can done by Div and Mod control switch commands. Having such a single source of truth is just so much nicer.

*hugs*
 - Zeriab

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
Hello everyone, I am back! I haven't had much time for hobbies in a long time, but I am picking up my projects again.

For time keeping I highly suggest you just keep the amount of total seconds in a single variable.
Conversion to hours count, week count and e.t.c. can done by Div and Mod control switch commands. Having such a single source of truth is just so much nicer.

*hugs*
 - Zeriab

Secs are in a single variable...

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
missed u, vi~ ;o;
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
Thanks yuyu  :)

Rep:
Level 34
RMRK Junior
So I finished eventing what I have so far here in the VXA version for the MV version and I started the project to make a new demo for MV when I realized I forgot to give credit where credit is due. My apologies Dr. Mc, you did a great job with the portraits you made for me and I didn't mean to forget to give you credit when I finally used one of them. Won't happen again. I edited my original post to give you credit.