RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
VXA - Having trouble with Modern Algebra's Quest Log script

Rep: +0/-0Level 35
RMRK Junior
First off, sorry for double posting. I had this in the forum for that script, but the last previous post was mid December and mine was getting zero attention so I thought maybe posting here would be better.

I'm having an issue with the most recent quest I coded in. The "Rewards" line is appearing overlapping the last line of the objectives. None of the other few I have do this. Here is a side-by-side comparison:

I have the screen set to 640 x 480 through Yanfly's Core Engine, and am using Taurus' Fullscreen++. I don't believe anything else I'm using should affect the screen layout.

Here is the script for the quest that shows up wrong:

Code: [Select]
when 1004 #Apartment Side Quest
   q[:name] = "Laundry 'Adventure'"
   q[:level] = 1
   q[:icon_index] = 154
   q[:description] = "Get the laundry from the dryer!"
   q[:objectives][0] = "Get the laundry from the laundry room."
   q[:objectives][1] = "Bring them to apartment 2B."
   q[:prime_objectives] = [0,1]
   q[:client] = "Man in apartment 2B"
   q[:location] = "Your apartment building"
   q[:rewards] = [
      [:exp, 150],
      [:gold, 60],
      [:item, 8, 1] #tentative
   ]
   q[:layout] = false
I thought at one point I had it figured out. When I changed the screen resolution on my project, I neglected to change the column widths in the quest journal script. I thought maybe it was drawing the rewards line where it thinks it should be based on the resolution, rather than where the text actually would place it based on the column widths. I changed Basic_Data_Width by adding the difference between the default resolution width (544) and the one I was using (640) assuming this would make the right column bigger and hopefully fix this issue. It didn't; the words still wrap at the same places and the Rewards line still overlaps the text in that one quest. Someone please help, this is really bumming me out!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:02:02 AM by pacmn »
DrunkDorks.com (us)
Facebook.com/DrunkDorks (us)
Twitter.com/OrihimeWarlock (me)

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Huh...that's weird. Are you having that issue with any quests you make after that one, too? What about adding in a blank objective as a filler on that one quest?
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK Junior
Not sure about that yet. I'll try it tomorrow.

I did try adding enough spaces on the objective to get a new line (with a - at the end to hopefully "blend in") and it still overwrote it in a noticeably bad manner.
DrunkDorks.com (us)

RMRK Junior
OK, gave it a try. Added a [2] objective, made it prime, revealed it at quest reveal. It got me an extra line, but it still drew over it.

I could make this work by either removing the diamond or making it a dash (so it would disappear hopefully beneath the rewards line) and, on a case-by-case basis, add in a dummy objective so it formats right, but that seems annoying and unnecessary. I'm baffled why this is happening and I haven't been able to find any posts with the same issue.
I can program and am versed in some scripting languages, but I'm just starting to mess around with Ruby so I can't interpret the scripts to try and figure this out for myself.

EDIT: (The "Laundry 'Adventur2'" was a duplicate of the original just to see if it formatted differently due to general weirdness, but it didn't.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:02:26 PM by Japhasca »
DrunkDorks.com (us)

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Can you provide a link to your version of the script? I'd like to see if I can spot anything fishy.

...But I'm also not really much of a scripter, so hopefully we have some kind scripter souls lying around that might know if I can't figure it out. ;_;
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK Junior
This was where I got it from:
http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=45127.0

I've left it pretty much in its default state, only changing the icon reference numbers really.
DrunkDorks.com (us)

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Alright, I've found your problem! ;o It's a minor one, caused by a slight issue with the screen resolution (Yanfly's script), but it is so easily fixed. Basically, the issue is that the script isn't recognizing the second line of "Get the laundry from the laundry room." Notice how part of it goes on to a second line? That's sort of the issue. With some testing, I realized that the sample I set up and modern's sample were acting fine, even with an extra line. Here's where things get really silly.

The only reason your second line on the first objective isn't recognized is because it only goes over by a period. I'm not even kidding. lol Take a look:

Spoiler for Images:
Removing the period makes it work perfectly on one line:

*EDIT*
Instead of changing up your wording, you can just add a space at the end. That counts as a character, and requires less work. ;o It'll look the exact same.
Adding back in the period re-creates the problem:

But adding in more than just a period fixes the problem!

The script isn't recognizing that it needs to move down one line, due to the change in screen resolution (I guess?). So, as long as you change up the wording a bit, you'll be fine. ;) I tried changing out the period for another letter, so it said "Get the laundry from the laundry rooms" (no period), and it still had the issue. But "Get the laundry from the laundry rooms." worked. So, as long as at least two characters push it to the next line, it'll work just fine!

Yeah, that was weird. lol Let me know if that works. ;o It fixed the issue in my test file.

*EDIT* Try adding in a space afterwards instead of changing up the wording. That also counts as a character. Basically, "Get the laundry from the laundry room. " Just tried that and it works like a charm!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:49:20 PM by yuyu! »
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

RMRK Junior
That worked like a charm, thanks so much! I hadn't considered that the first objective was messing it up, not the second.

I think you're right; it's interpreting that it fits on one line even though it doesn't, so it thinks the second objective is up one line higher than it is.

I'm pretty sure I can work around this with the method you just figured out, but if anyone feels like trying to tackle this with script changes, be my guess!
DrunkDorks.com (us)