RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
URBAN FANTASY, EXPERIMENTAL JRPG

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
Personally I don't understand why so interest in knowing this stuff and since I came here just to have advices about my game I seriously think we're goin' off topic with this. I sinply to create a product which will be enjoyable thanks to the feedback I'm receiving. What I wanted to tell by that thing is that a passion a thing started as a hobby can become a job and the passion of your life... but since this message wasn't received I will erase it.
Don't change the subject, I'm not talking about wether you were moved to make games due to rpg maker or your job, I'm talking about your project and why the secrecy of your other works & identity, and why, knowing this, You go ahead and claim to work in the industry, knowing full well you can't even post proof of it.

Because you say you've worked on the field before, so, here we are, saying; "wow, a proffesional game writer from the indie game comunity is making a project! I at least want to know what are those other projects are, that way I know he's not only legit, but I can have an Idea of what type of game to expect & be surprise to play with".

But then come & say, You can't do it because of the NDA you 'signed' which makes it sound like: "Can't do that, because I signed a document that tells me I can't showcase my work, but don't worry about it, It doesn't matter on what I work, because all you need to know is I'm a professional and I know what I'm doing and you can blindly follow my words!!!"

If you think bout it everyone who creates a game with rpgmaker is half an indie, especially some indies I know... but that's another story.
Stop changing the subject and adding 'fuel to the fire'. Your digging yourself in a deeper hole.

I don't need to be credible, I wouldn't be using a nickname if I wanted :), it's not even in my intention to be like that, I do hope my work will be though and that's why I'm here asking for feedback. And I'm appreciating each person's feedback, and also yours regarding story even if I already thought bout some of the mechanics.
Without credibility, no one will buy your products, at worst, you'll create haters, and haters sparse like wild fire, people will not play your game, if they find the guy who makes it to be quite ignorant of their public. People will not believe a word you say without credibility.

Again my target is not mainly the Asian market, though I think a Jrpg has to have some Japanese things in it as an anime style or other things that I pretty like.
JRPGs is more known for having Asian culture elements in them, When people see JRPGs, they think of Japanese rpgs with Anime style and Asian Culture elements. I don't care if their not your target, but by putting JRPG, you're admitting their your main target audience. And They expect to see what They Understand those letters stand for. No matter if you intended to target the Asian Market or not, you have, without realizing it, targeted that audience, whether intentional or not by simply putting JRPG.

At the same time as you're asking me who I am, being ignorant about such a market and not knowing what I'm doing, I can ask you who are you to tell me I don't know that. Sure we can confront and talk about ideas but personally I do have studied the culture of East Asia and surely is not a Bachelor's degree in these topics that can tell this.
Your asking me who am I to tell you that?
I'm the one giving you feedback, I'm the one who'll tell her friends if your games worth playing and the maker makes good games or I could tell them your a Conartist . . . I could be your greatest admirer or your greatest hater. I'm your guinea pig been experimented on by you, and the results of it really matters.

I don't need a bachelor degree in Asian culture to understand it if I don't even get involved in said culture and learn from it. If you don't participate and learn from the audience what they like, then that knowledge is wasted. I feel you don't understand what your doing, and I worry about it.

I do also have something to restate when you say you know the Asian Market, saying FF13 wasn't liked in Japan as outside, and then I found this data who says the opposite thing if we compare population and platform (PS3-X360).

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=final+fantasy+xiii&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200 (Xbox360 is not owned by many Japanese since most of the softhouses have contracts with sony)
Yeah, no,
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/28/pokemon-mario-and-final-fantasy-xiii-were-japans-top-selling-games-of-2010/
Third place, beaten by Mario & Pokemon Black & White. Sure, it did well. But then, criticism was heavy, and from your link, the sequels didn't do well.

really . . . the sequels did worse . . .
And if you go search around forums that are not full of Fanatics, you'll find japanese gamers didn't quite like it.

Regarding the video, I am happy that you saw it again and again but as you said you've wasted your time since I said it was in the game trailer, which wasn't attached to this topic because of this Alpha stage.

Here it is though, used Galv's visual novel character style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wj6-YWtqbU
Then why isn't this on your first page? How did you miss that? Nevertheless, i bothered to watch it.
I got quite the headache. raises more questions.
Visual novel style and dating sims are cool things to put as stretch goals (I do hope to reach it though) but non vital.
Your working on the mechanics of the game . . . understandable at the moment.

Surely Otakus can be my first target since many of the people who like rpgs also like this style. However there's some part of the market who doesn't go in that cathegory and just ask for another kind of experience which doesn't regard such a thing.

But you said the Asian Market isn't your main target. That's what's troubling me. And what do you mean by 'Rphs like this style'? When you slap JRPG in your project, people will think of a game with Japanese elements, Anime Visuals, Cultural references, and the Romance Element and lots of girls in it'. They'll think of Games like the Atelier Series, the Tales of Series, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Ar Tonelico, Persona, anything with an Anime style character slap in it.

But you know, I don't know what your planning, and if this is your intention, I just see it this way.

but, why am I saying all this, if you work in the industry, I'm sure you know this, why do I have to tell you this? Isn't it the norm to investigate and learn of an Idea to expand on it? You seem to have done your research on the market, to which I retreat and say sorry for thinking you didn't know anything about JRPGs, but then, I get this answer. And I'm left confuse, because it just creates a Hole with more questions.

But enough about that. Let me ask you; Why would you go so far as to say your game falls in the JRPG genre (wether it's an experiment on it or not) when the genre's target audience isn't your main concern? What is this "New Environment" that you speak of?"

Your last questions are pretty ok, the problem is that you forgot to think about an important detail: I said at the top of the topic, I have signed an NDA regarding this game which obliges me not to tell some things, every wise Indie company and company in general has people signing this kind of agreement because it's truly important. Mine covers: plot elements, important features, project final name, explicit target, coworkers, publisher etc... I can just show some images and general parts at this stage (before the official contract, hoping to sign it).[/quote]

I don't find quite wise to violate an agreement and personally I'm not the person, so I hope I explained myself correctly. If you want to think it's an excuse you're free to do it.
Incorrect. I'm asking you . . .  because of that. Why the hell, do you come, and say you worked as a Writer in the Indie Game Industry when you signed an NDA That clearly doesn't allow you to show your portfolio on that companies games . . . Oh wait-but that would mean, you can't show those from said company, did you worked on others? I'm pretty sure you can show those. We're asking what other games you've work on, we're not asking for your resume, we're not asking for your "name", your coworkers or the company's information or blueprints, but you keep telling us you can't, and keep saying because you signed a DA to, what I'm led to believe, a Company. And you ask you'll tell us privately only.

I don't find wise that if I signed a NDA, I go to the Internet, post online 'concept' of the project I'm working on, and tell the community I'm involved in a Project I'm not suppose to even mention nor reveal any detail regarding my involvement whether it was past or present, and not expect to have people asking about it.

This whole thing started with you writing that you work on the Indie Gaming Community when you don't even have the right to reveal any information regarding your past works, your breaching your contract Indirectly. A Professional would never spout he's famous when his contract denies him of revealing himself whether it be showcasing his/her work or their identity, which, you have done here friend. I hope you understand now.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Maybe it would be best if we all just dropped the whole "I work in a big game company" thing. Whether he's lying or not, he wants help with his game. We should try to be helpful.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
no sorry if you make unsubstantiated claims in order to further ur own image and then say u can't elaborate because of an agreement you signed you deserve to be called out on it

this is the internet, anyone can claim anything

Rep: +0/-0Level 34
Urban Fighter
Maybe it would be best if we all just dropped the whole "I work in a big game company" thing. Whether he's lying or not, he wants help with his game. We should try to be helpful.

Thanks. That's what I want and my primary reason to do that.

Regarding Karo Rushe, I really don't feel ok with a person who claims to be so much sure of some things, knowing market etc... never said I'm a professional, just said what I do in life because it's nice to introduce who a person is and personally if you want to help me, since I was asking for a basic graphic and game mechanics feedback (because I need the basics). You're free to think what you want but I won't be replying any other user who goes off topic and attacks people (create a topic for discussing about who I am and we'll talk about it lol): that's the primary reason why I abandoned forums, I'll ask moderators to help me if something like that happens and if necessary I'll ask to close the topic.

If you want to help me and know further things just need feedback regarding the basic aspects, for all the rest you can talk with me in private.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:19:45 AM by blamethepoet »
Check out my experimental jrpg: Urban Fantasy!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/urban-fantasy

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
never said I'm a professional

Just to clarify here, you did say you worked in the indie gaming industry. Having someone pay you for a skill makes you a "professional", as opposed to an "amateur", or a person who doesn't get paid, i.e. a hobbyist.

If you're saying you didn't get paid, then the whole NDA thing is pretty much a moot point.

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
never said I'm a professional

I have to re-iterate this as well.. I used to build sites as a hobby in my spare time, and I now work with a company, where we get contracted by companies like Aspen Dental, Liberty Mutual, Webster 5 Bank, etc., and are paid to do development for them. I used to be a web developer; I am now a professional web developer. If you're working with a company and getting compensated for your skills in some form, you are considered a professional, simply by definition (not level of skill, as some people would argue).

I won't sit here and ask you to prove ~everything~ you say, but since my company does handle NDA's and similar legal documents, I can tell you confidently I know how those work, and if you have a NDA that states you can not reveal past projects, even from other companies you have worked with, chances are good you may end up getting screwed over by this company.
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
What in the name of sweet Andraste is going on here?!

Whether or not I agree with the way the reactions in this thread were carried out, you should be wary of making a claim that you can't back up with proof. I understand the need to know if you're a professional or hobbyist game maker in the indie community. It's a matter of credibility, and people are typically going to want to test this. Without that proof (because of the NDAs), we can't uncover the truth in your claim, and thus people are frustrated or doubtful.

For example, the other day I told one of my classes that I was an artist and they automatically assumed I was a professional and got excited. But, I didn't have any drawings with me to show them, so they got mad instead and thought I was lying to them. Now I have to prove myself to a bunch of 6-9 year old kids. ;9

...But I really just think we should all drop it and let this lad get back to making his game. Clarity would be nice, but this all doesn't really seem like that big of a deal. He's making this game for experimental (hobby?) purposes anyway.
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Urban Fighter

This is a new character I tried to edit (think to call her Marjane), not sure about the bow though, I'd prefer using some other kind of weapon like guns or telekinesis. This is my first attempt to edit another main character.

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
I do like the style you're using; reminds me of some of the older games I used to play actually. All other drama and crap aside, I do like the very little art I've seen so far on this. I encourage you to share everything you're able to, as it does seem decent so far; albeit, I have very little to go on. regarding her weapon, wouldn't that be something that the storyline itself dictates? I know I personally try to come up with the main storyline first, before designing too much of the game, at the very least, a vague outline will help you design a game better than creating the entire story "on-the-fly" as it were.

I do apologize if my prior comment seemed a bit terse; I'm a bit skeptical of situations like this, based simply on the fact that this is te internet. For example, I can lay claim to fact hat I worked on the digital side of Aspen Dental, one of the bigger insurance companies in the country, but, this is the internet; how do you know I'm telling the truth. Best to show us what you can do, and what you've done in the past, and let us judge your abilities based on that, instead of a claim you make?
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Urban Fighter
Thanks, personally I'm gonna change the bow with a rifle or some other weapons since it's complicated creating objects with battle symphony system (Anyone has some tutorial for creating a bow animation? lol)

I tried to make her look both classic both modern.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
suggestion: Crossbow

Urban Fighter
Here some new images for the Visual Novel System of the game, hope to upload a video about it as soon as I can.

Spoiler for: