RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Retro VS Modern

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
RETRO VS MODERN
THROWDOWN

Time for a throwdown, guys and gals. The topic is: Which do you prefer? Retro games, or more modern games?

First, I want to classify what makes a retro/modern game (for the topic).

Retro: For the sake of the topic, we'll say retro is pre-gamecube (tough decision, but honestly gamecube is so far beyond n64 it's not even funny). This includes atari, NES, SNES, Gameboy (all variations, I'll even throw GBA in there since it's all 2d), all sega systems, and pretty much all systems that came out before 2001.

Modern: Pretty much everything that came out after 2001, it's not old enough to be considered retro yet, but give it a few years, it will be lol.
================================================

Having grown up in an era of gaming that I've come to call the "Golden Age of Gaming", I've always appreciated older games. I grew up seeing the rise of the NES, and gameboy afterward, as well as the birth of such epic games that still, to this day, are just as good now as they ever were, such as "The Legend of Zelda" and "Metroid". Personally, I will always prefer older retro games over the more modern ones, though I do enjoy playing titles such as "Metroid: Other M", a title, that while wasn't received well, was the very embodiment of what metroid had been until metroid prime's first person perspective permeated the gaming world, and stole the hearts of FPS gamers everywhere. I didn't like the first person perspective aspects of "Other M", but everything else was a huge nod to those of us who had been waiting for such a metroid, since the release of "Super Metroid" back in the 90's. My only hope is that they continue using "Other M" as a template for future metroid games (minus the FPS missiles, use a button).

I also enjoyed "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword". While highly skeptical at first, given how bad the normal motion controls for the wii are, I first tried this game when a friend of mine wanted me to help him with it (I have a knack for being able to beat a game, without having ever played it previously), and I found that the wii motion plus complemented the game perfectly. I later bought it myself.

But again, I prefer the older games best, having grown up with them, before the time of internet, when your only guide was trial and error.

What do you all think?
Check out

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
... I do enjoy playing titles such as "Metroid: Other M"...

stopped reading there

Spoiler for:
But seriously, modern. I love pixels, but with modern hardware you can have more pixels.
It is getting tiresome seeing people make games in "the style of Atari2600 / NES" when they could be going further. When making a pixel game why let ancient hardware stop you from making the sprites as detailed as you can?

Less of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhmfhBu_efA
More of this - http://youtu.be/yttUUvydB-k?t=58s
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2014 Favorite Staff Member2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I enjoy a lot of retro games, and I put a lot of time into playing my SNES. I long for a Nintendo 64 or Dreamcast, or even an NES would be neat.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2014 Favorite Staff Member2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
but don't get me wrong some of my favorite games are modern too

but I admire the retro style and how it used to be

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRKProject of the Year 20142011 Best Newbie2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2014 Kindest Member2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);o
Modern!

The games seem to have more replay value, honestly. I still have a ton of GC/XBOX/PS2 (and onward) games lying around and even go back them from time to time! My poor PS1 (and Sega?) were destroyed long ago by a younger me. Any games that I really enjoyed/remember have been ported anyways (or exist on consoles that are backwards compatible). *Despite Nintendo being my favorite of the brands, I wasn't lucky enough to have an N64. ;9

I also prefer the color of modern games and overall look. There's a lot of ingenious ideas floating around that really change things up, gameplay-wise.
Spoiler for My Games and Art:
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best MusicianFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
I collect video games and so I have a wide variety of retro and modern games. Some of my favorite games are modern, but I certainly prefer retro games.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I have a small collection of old PC games, and some Genesis games.
Do you not collected PC stuff? I noticed that most people who collect games don't really collect for the PC.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best MusicianFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Older PC games aren't really my thing aside from some stuff here and there and then my PC can't run most newer games. And on top of that, buying physical PC games doesn't make much sense these days what with all the constant sales, compared to digital console games that always cost just as much or more than their physical counterparts (except for collectible stuff).

I do have some PC games though - I just don't bother cataloging them.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
For some reason I thought this was going to be Modern Algebra getting into a fight with someone. I am so disappoint.

Rep:
Level 96
i'll fight him, i can go by the wrestler name "Retro Arithmetic".
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 98
I collect video games and so I have a wide variety of retro and modern games. Some of my favorite games are modern, but I certainly prefer retro games.

wow I had no idea you did this

pics or it didn't happen

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space

Bring it. I'll trap your integers in a matrix and derive the eigenvalue.

Rep:
Level 97

wow I had no idea you did this

pics or it didn't happen

It kind of just gradually happened until one day I realized that I was amassing a collection. I'd say about half of them I picked up at garage sales for like $1 a piece and gotten from friends/family that didn't want, say, NES games anymore.

I'll post pics tomorrow!

Bring it. I'll trap your integers in a matrix and derive the eigenvalue.

That sounds complicated

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
I collect some PC games, but my collection is really small. I have played "Torin's Passage", "Treasure Quest", "Star Trek: Generations" (one of my favs), "Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall", I think I also had/have "Hexen" & "Heretic", but I'd have to find them at this point.

With the pixel thing, I can agree that better graphics help a game, but I value the appearance of the older look, even if it's NES, or SNES style. I enjoy retro style, even in modern games, just for nostalgia's sake lol.
Check out

Rep:
Level 98
fuck now i'm reminded of hexen and heretic and BLOOD AND DOOM

time to dust off the dosbox

Rep:
Level 75
My sword is law.
fuck now i'm reminded of hexen and heretic and BLOOD AND DOOM

time to dust off the dosbox

Lol I was thinking the same thing after (and during) that post. There's a lot of good games from that time, forsaken 64 is another decent one, though I can rarely play it.
Check out

Rep:
Level 96
http://vgcollect.com/boe/pc

The only games I really care about are my copies of "The Neverhood" and the "Command & Conquer"s. I have all of them except RA3 and C&C4. I would like to get a copy of RA3, but I haven't heard anything good about Command and Conquer 4.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&