RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX]LINUS

Rep:
Level 84

Linus a project focused primarily on plot. It follows the life of the main character, Linus Milhaven, from boyhood to adulthood. In truth, this is more of a character study than a traditional rpg storyline. There are no crystals to collect, no damsels to save, and no great evil to vanquish. It is simply a chronicle of the life of one person and the world that he lives in.

S T O R Y

For centuries beyond number, the sons and daughters of House Milhaven have been known as the most feared and respected knights and military commanders in the known world, and it has been said that whenever a Milhaven is born, soldiers throughout the lands bow their heads in reverence.

Linus Milhaven, along with his sickly twin brother Arilan, are the youngest sons of the current Milhaven generation. Despite his young age, Linus is already a burgeoning playwright and novelist. He is a socialite who loves to throw parties for his fellow noble friends. He also dreams of adventure, of sailing the ocean and traveling to exotic faraway lands. He is highly intelligent in matters of history, politics, music, and art, but there is one thing that Linus refuses any part of-- War.
Linus is the antithesis of his family's lineage. He has refused to ever hold a sword, and prefers to write about conflict than to ever be a part of it. Where his ancestors were born to lead men into battle, he prefers to shop for gifts and to visit museums.

But, as they say, it only takes one day to change someone's life forever...

In the summer of Linus' twelfth year, a letter arrives at his family's manor. It is a missive from the empress, and she has decreed Linus to be next-in-line to become the Lord Protector of the Empire, a post which Lord Teign, his ailing father, once held. Once bestowed upon him, the title of Lord Commander will in essence make Linus the leader of the empress' military forces once he comes of age. It is an incredible responsibility, and news of the empress' decision to bestow this title on 12-year old Linus, who is historically the least capable scion House Milhaven has ever produced, comes as a complete shock. It had long been thought that Sir Leigh, Teign's first-born son and Linus' half-brother, would inherit their father's post.

Having no choice but to carry out the empress' wishes, Linus is ordered to attend the Etonmarch Military College, a famed academy known for its brutal and unyielding training methods. Within Etonmarch, pupils must undergo harrowing trials which shape them into capable soldiers and war commanders. It is a place where children are sent to become military leaders, and not many live to see graduation.

During his time at Etonmarch, Linus must fight for his survival while wrestling with his own personal convictions, and will have to endure deadly trials and challenges, scheming rivals, and cruel betrayals in order to make it through the academy's halls with his life and soul intact.

F E A T U R E S

- Dramatic storyline with nuanced characters and a fully-fleshed out world, chronicling the life of the main character from boyhood to adulthood.

- Detailed and involved "Pursuits" system, which allows the player to experience side-stories that enhance the main narrative and offer up special rewards. Completion of certain pursuits affect the main storyline in different ways.

- Affinity System which allows for the player to affect important NPCs' behaviour. Depending on how Linus interacts with certain NPCs, the storyline will play out differently.
- Blacksmith system which allows the player to upgrade weapons in numerous ways.

- Parallax Mapping with a focus on attention to detail and creating memorable-looking maps.

S C R E E N S H O T S

D E M O

Demo (11/12/2014):
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1491/downloads/6417/

Thanks for reading the topic! If any of you have any questions about the project, let me know.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:22:26 PM by blueperiod »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Wow, this looks great. Very different from what it used to be too. I am downloading the demo now.

Rep:
Level 84
Ha ha, thanks! By the way, modern algebra- you're actually listed in the game's Special Thanks section. You're such an amazing scripter and the ease of use of your work made it possible for me to execute my vision without any trouble whatsoever, so I'm endlessly thankful to you. Not only that but you've provided such a great service to the RM community that I just had to put you in there. Hope you don't find it too weird :p.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Not at all. I'm honoured.

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
I just finished the demo, I think. I have to say, that was incredibly well done, and I can't wait to see the final game.

The only issue I noticed was with the infirmary tent, toward the end of the demo. Small error, nothing major, but the screen fades to black, then fades back in, then fades back out before you actually leave. I didn't notice it earlier in the demo, so I'm guessing it might just be during that portion.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

Rep:
Level 84
^Thanks for playing through it and for pointing out the bug!