RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
2D Perspective and Public Opinion

Rep:
Level 71
Recently I've been making a 2D adventure game in a custom engine. I'm fairly happy with the way the game is going and I plan have it for sale by the end of next year. However I have a major concern. The perspective I'm using is the same as the perspective in RPG Maker. This wouldn't be a big deal if so many people on Steam didn't immediately hate anything that looks like it came out of the engine. Yes there are RPG Maker games on Steam but they're mainly from developers with established fan bases. Does anyone think it would be wise to change perspective?

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
I think people can tell the difference between how the RM engines work and a custom/different one, just by small detail and style alone. If that's the perspective you want to work in, go for it.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 71
If someone played the game they could tell it wasn't an RPG Maker game the moment it started due to the fact it can run in higher resolutions such as 1080p. However many people might just look at screenshots and write it off. Unless this doesn't look like an RPG Maker game.

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Most Promising Project 2014
I mean, it looks like it could be an rpg maker game. At this point though, I'd think that RpgMaker would be a ridiculous waste of energy for this type of game. I mean, huge tiles, huge charsets. It just wouldn't make sense to make it with rpg maker. Honestly though, I wouldn't assume rpg maker from that screen.

Rep:
Level 71
That is true... I might post the game in Greenlight concepts and see what responses I get. Thanks for your opinion.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
ugh that car.

also that guy on the right has a flat front and a weird hunchy back.

Rep:
Level 71
Well it's still a work in progress so I'll look into improving them. What don't you like about the car exactly? Or do you just hate the entire thing?

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Like are you going for a weird stylistic thing or do you just have no idea how to make a car from that perspective?
that car looks more like a drawing a first grader would make of a car than a real vehicle even if you are trying to stylize it.

here's one in a similar perspective as an example.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 05:41:01 AM by strike »

Rep:
Level 71
Is it really that off? Looking at it now I do see it isn't extremely realistic and I could make some adjustments in the hood. I should probably add lights as well but it seems fairly close.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 05:47:04 AM by DoctorTodd »

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
that car would be half as wide as it is long if it were a 3d model.

Rep:
Level 71
I suppose it is a bit wide. I tried to take into account the width of the sprites and how they would fit into the seats.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off

Made some modifications as an example. all i'm saying is add a little more detail a little less width and it really changes it.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
whoops forgot to add a door handle to the back door.

Rep:
Level 71
Wow that does look a lot better. I'll go and start improving mine then. I appreciate the help Strike.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
the biggest change was making the tires and side of the car bigger. I also angled the front and back down a bit, most hoods and trunks slant down, some very slightly and some trunks are straight across but hoods almost always slope downward even on most trucks.

with the pickup in the driveway what I see as an issue is that if you were to turn the truck sideway the bed of the truck would be as long as the hood. and both are longer than the cab.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:31:36 AM by strike »

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Most Promising Project 2014
I kinda got distracted irl when I made my post, so I didn't exactly make it clear what I was trying to say.
Basically, it looks like it would be too much of a hassle to make in rpg maker, so I would assume that it's made with something else. Especially because it doesn't look grid based.
You probably understood what I meant, but just wanted to make it clear.

Also, yeah there are some issues with your art, but it has a nice atmosphere to it. Most people would be willing to ignore bad graphics if the gameplay is really fun or engaging, so don't stress too much about that (especially if that's not your strongest area).

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
most people are willing to ignore it if it's a free flash game, but something that's intended to be sold best be polished. None of the art has to be extremely complicated, especially when going for a simplistic look. but a sytlized object should look like it is stylized not drawn poorly.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:29:11 PM by strike »

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
The thing people hate about rpg maker games is the bland overused RTP. If everything is completely custom it shouldn't matter what you use to make it. Like strike said above, it's all about polish.

Rep:
Level 71
@Strike and Zexion: I definitely agree with Strike on this. Obviously everything won't be perfect especially since this is my first real attempt at pixel art from scratch. However if I'm going to sell this it should look pretty darn good. I knew there were some issues but I received fairly positive responses when I showed people the game's art. However it seems those people weren't entirely honest.
@Starfire: Ya I know people over using RTP is probably the largest issue but I still had my concerns with the perspective.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Obviously everything won't be perfect especially since this is my first real attempt at pixel art from scratch. However if I'm going to sell this it should look pretty darn good.

Detail is everything. If you want something to look good you have to be almost unnecessarily meticulous with how much detail you pour into it. The lawn is sticking out into the street in bits, there's no curb. You have to think like a film director in how everything is set up.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 71
The road was supposed to be a paved country road. The lawn sticking out was suppose to be where asphalt was cracked off. This is also why there isn't a curb. However I definitely need to add more detail so people know the setting.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
RPG Maker's perspective is that of many 2D RPGs. There's really nothing inherently RPG Maker-like about it.

Rep:
Level 71
I would agree if I was targeting anything but PC because it at least seems that a majority of games released with that perspective on PC are made with RPG Maker. So it may in some cases be safe to assume that the game was created with it.

Rep:
Level 35
Bringing Science Fiction to RMXP, Hardcore!
Starfire makes a great point. If I see standard RTP tiles in an RPG Maker game, I skip right past it.

Animation in 2d pixel art I couldn't believe was possible. If you want to beat the games of the past your art needs to be stellar, dude. I appreciate your time in creating your own art. That's what attracted me to this post and your game.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 03:22:49 PM by bethesdacam92 »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I would agree if I was targeting anything but PC because it at least seems that a majority of games released with that perspective on PC are made with RPG Maker. So it may in some cases be safe to assume that the game was created with it.
Maybe you only feel that's the case because you're in an RPG Maker community? I've seen a decent number of independent games with this perspective, and most of them don't use RPG Maker.

You shouldn't even be worrying about this anyway. Make what you want.