RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Help! Unresponsive & Slow Computer

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
Starting from Yesterday, the computer has begun to act Unresponsive, I had to wait 1 Hour & 30 minutes for it to start up when I turn her on.
Opening Programs, folders, and web browsers makes her freeze, and eve slow her down.
I tried IRC chat, but it refuses to open or simply freezes the computer & closes the program itself.
She takes her sweet time opening and showing the contents of the folders.
And browsing around & probably this post will take it's sweet time getting posted from my side.

It's a nightmare, and It feel like I'm using one of those old 90's computer dinosaurs, and it shouldn't be. (The computer doesn't even have 2 years). All I was given when She starts up is this message:

Code: [Select]
Scanning and repairing drive (11?1Volume{e6eb86df-c639-4bdb-4173-636c65706975}):100% Complete

Google is been unresponsive at the moment, hoping for a solution to this problem.

<3
Rep:
Level 83
I am the love in your heart. <3
Do you have an anti-virus installed?

Try doing a System Restore. Maybe it's a recent setting change or a program that's caused this problem.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
if it's consistently doing a check disk every time you start up the hard drive may be beginning to fail. open command promt and run a check disk yourself (type 'chkdsk' at the command line)  to see the results. otherwise if you can try using hard disk sentinel, link is here http://www.hdsentinel.com/ to check the health of the drive

Basically if your HDD has bad sectors this sort of slowdown can definitely happen. if you do have bad sectors (which can be found via check disk or HD Sentinel) you need a new hard drive.

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Quote from: Love on September 30, 2014, 06:05:07 PM

Do you have an anti-virus installed?

Try doing a System Restore. Maybe it's a recent setting change or a program that's caused this problem.

All programs are unresponsive, and they take either minutes or hours to get through them. I dunno where System Restore is, the search function had me waiting for three hours yesterday, I couldn't do this due to this problem. Anti-Virus, hopefully is still running.

Quote from: strike on October 01, 2014, 03:24:13 AM

if it's consistently doing a check disk every time you start up the hard drive may be beginning to fail. open command promt and run a check disk yourself (type 'chkdsk' at the command line)  to see the results. otherwise if you can try using hard disk sentinel, link is here http://www.hdsentinel.com/ to check the health of the drive

Basically if your HDD has bad sectors this sort of slowdown can definitely happen. if you do have bad sectors (which can be found via check disk or HD Sentinel) you need a new hard drive.

I download this, and after installing (which she froze a few times), my computer for some reason refused to open it, at all, it took a while, and when she finally did, well, the only thing working was the webrowser . . . I left the program, there, in showing itself a white space, and then this appeared:

And as you can see, from that, she froze. After waiting until now (And been able to post this); I got this messages:

With that, HD Sentinel closed up. . . .

These last few days have been really testing my patience . . . and the acquaintance is currently sleeping at this hour, won't have an answer from him until tomorrow around noon (8 or 10 PM)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:17:37 AM by Karo Rushe »

<3
Rep:
Level 83
I am the love in your heart. <3
System Restore is easy to do. Click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
There's only recovery - Turns the Settings of the Computer back to Factory Settings.

Strike, waiting on your diagnosis from these screenshots.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I don't know why strike linked you to some payware program that doesn't even show the S.M.A.R.T. Data.

Speedfan will do it. Open it and click the S.M.A.R.T. tab. Select your drive from the Hard disk dropdown. You can either screenshot what appears, or preferably click the "Perform an in-depth online analysis of this hard disk" button.

This will then open a page like this that you can link to us. Don't link the page's URL, you should look at the bottom of the page and give us this link:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:30:15 PM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
it DOES show the smart data it's in another tab you faggot. besides you only need to pay to use some of the more advanced features like email alerts. otherwise you just get a nag screen at start up like winzip.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:57:52 AM by strike »

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
I'll get an acquaintance to check on what he can do by next week . . . Thou from what I see, I'm wishing for a miracle.

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
So, umm, the last time I was logged in IRC, (Sophist was playing Alien Isolation), was the last time I used the computer, next day had taken it to the acquaintance to check it, hard drive was been the problem, he said I could either buy a new one, or simply delete and reinstall everything (Operating system and stuff), I took the second option, since, I didn't have a way to get money for a new hardrive, both ways would mean erase everything I had in the computer (Programs & stuff), so I took the second option, the only thing I had to worry, Hard drive to be full of errors that wouldn't run been reinstalled again. So, I left, with a week to find a way to save as many things I could in three separate hard drives belonging to the last computers I had that died on me, One of them didn't want to open, leaving me with two, both Laptop hardrives, hard choices on programs and stuff to left behind and what was important. After a week, I gave it to the acquaintance to 'fix' the computer. Me and my sister had been waiting in there ti'll morning, it wasn't going to be finish & sis had university the next day, so, we left, it's been . . . 3 weeks, last Saturday we we're going to get her back, but Sis had other plans that Saturday, She told me the computer is fixed and running, but I won't get to use it, ti'll Sis and her friend have a free day to go over there. That's the update for now. I had been here drawing and using my Father's computer to get here & leave this update here.

Sorry I had suddenly dissapeared and come back now, didn't have an oportunity ti'll today for this. I could say the problem is resolved, but I can't say it without the actual computer itself I guess.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Computers are evil.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Tonight I got my computer back, only to be welcome by this:

They told me to call if anything funny happened, Working on yet again, going back over either Tuesday or the weekend once more. Aside from that, every other problem has been resolved.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Reinstalling won't save a failing hard drive. :/

that said prior it only had one weak sector. still it could have gotten worse since then.

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Reinstalling won't save a failing hard drive. :/

that said prior it only had one weak sector. still it could have gotten worse since then.
Well, all I can say is, the computer turns on faster, some times it freezes, but I wait 1 or 2 minutes & it's back to normal, it's working better than before been re-installed. Of course, like you have said, doing so won't save the hardrive, so, after negotiating with Dad, I decided to buy a new hardrive to replace this one, however, I'll have to wait ti'll January to do anything about it. Dad says he wants me to get a better hardrive (one with more memory), If anyone know of sites that sells them an are compatible with a "Samsung model DP700A3D-A01US" I'll really appreciate it.

And, sorry for taking long to reply.