RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] Whats the best way to create that "16-bit" style music for a JRPG?

Rep: +0/-0Level 35
RMRK Junior
Hey,
I'm interested in composing original music for my RPG Maker game, and though I have plenty music samples and VST tools to compose with, my concern is that they all sound too "real" to fit in with a 2D-graphics JRPG game. Can soft-synths do this? I'm looking to dial-in a 16-bit retro sound, similar to the style of the music in games like Chrono Trigger for SNES and Golden Sun for the GBA. I've heard that many of the sounds in these games are actually just real instruments whose sounds were heavily downsampled in order to fit the specs of their platforms.
Do I use soft-synths to create that 16-bit sound, or I am I better off composing with my real instrument samples, and then downsampling/bitcrushing these in order to achieve that sound?

Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated, thanks.

-Meraxes
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:17:42 AM by irock »
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.