RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Packaging Game Resources

Rep:
Level 71
I've been developing a game recently outside of an engine and I'm stuck on how I want to package the game's resources. I've been considering having the game's code already compiled (so MyGame.exe would already be made) and files such as map data and sound effects would be in simple folders for anyone to change. I've also considered having all of the game's code being put into a plain folder and including a compiler that would actually make this MyGame.exe. So people could turn the entire game into a word processor if they wanted to.  Either way there is tons of room for modding support. I am concerned about people stealing the resources however. I also have plans to try and get this game through Steam Greenlight. If the game made it through I would probably have to hide most of, if not all the game's code because of Steamworks. I have also considered embedding the files into MyGame.exe which would somewhat cut off modding support but do a fairly good job protecting the files. I would certainly like to have modding support but I'm not sure exactly how to execute it. I know there are many games that do very well due to modding support (Arma for example). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Rep:
Level 35
RMRK Junior
I have no idea how this is implemented, but through the modding I have done I like the interface that has all original resources packaged in a way that is internal to the game and not adjustable while leaving a folder that is arranged like the games resource folder, but is empty.  That is to say that every time your game loads, it loads all original res and checks the "mod" folder for assets and scripts to also load.  Anything in the mod folder will supercede original resources if it shares a name with an original res.  Anything in the game folder that is uniquely named will only be called by script.  This would protect your original work while allowing 100 percent moddability.  I hope that helps, and if would satisfy a couriosity, what launguage are you writing in for your game?

Rep:
Level 71
I do like that idea but the issue with that is if a player wants to make changes to a map for example how would they know what the name of the original file is? I could make a list of every single file with its descriptions but that's just tedious. I do appreciate your suggestion though. I'm writing the game in C#.

Edit: There's also the issue where the mod creator does not have a base file to edit. So to do a simple thing such as change eye color they would need to first perfectly recreate the file.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:37:31 PM by DoctorTodd »

Rep:
Level 35
RMRK Junior
Yeah, its a hard topic.  On a side note, I am happy to hear of someone writing in C# as I am learning it now.  It seems a lot tougher than C++, but I have not given up on it yet.  To attempt an answer to your question; if you organize your files, the player could figure that out.  It won't be easy, but modding never is.  In the case of modding a map, the player would have to recreate it alltogether I think, assuming you did not make your original files easily opened in things like GIMP.  being that you are writing in C# you might have to make a mod tool for the player/modder.  Another thought is that you might copyright all your OC?  That way any theft that drew money could be prosecuted, and you could safely allow the player direct access to all your resources.

Rep:
Level 71
I was hoping to avoid making a modding tool to be honest. I hate designing UIs but I will if I need to of course. Right now I'm leaning toward leaving assets open. So players can edit existing sprites and maps. However the over world would be one giant image (for the sake of time and editing convenience) and I'd include a link for the source file (a .psd). If I remember correctly my game and its assets are technically copyrighted since I created them. I'm not an expert on C++ but from my experience C# is much easier to use.

Rep: +0/-0Level 34
RMRK Junior

I believe that this is happening. That's cool
For this, I never know if you do not post it, I would not know.
And then I learned the most about it.