RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XPA][GIAW XIII] The 13 Ghosts

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
This wasmy GIAW entry, and now that it is over, I have decided to continue on with it, and turn it into a full game, with all thirteen chapters in it. Originally the game was planned to be an online-capable game, using the RMX-OS system, and due to time restraints and such, plus to make it easier that got scrapped in favor of a single-player format. I plan to eventually add it back in, though I have no ETA on that. Some of the details for the game are below, though I will otherwise let the game speak for itself.

Name: 13 Ghosts
Genre: Adventure, Explorer, and Mystery
Tech Details: Using the XPAce Engine with Graphics and tile-sets from Pandora's Box and Heretics Collection.
Description: A mystery game, with strong elements of adventure/problem-solving thrown in. You play the part of an investigator looking into some strange proceedings surrounding the Graves family. Through the course of investigating in the first village you come across, you find out that the family is haunted by thirteen rather tough spirits who were placed upon the family by a curse. Noone knows why exactly, but someone was apparently rather upset with them for something or other. Your mission? Find out where these spirits are, and get rid of them, whether by outsmarting all of their tricks, defeating them in battle, or trapping them somehow. There are many features to be added, but right now the vague overview is that each "boss" is a separate chapter in the game, with each new chapter being a continuation of the storyline, in a new location each time, as you travel to hunt down each of these ghosts. Similar to how Diablo II does their stash system, you will have a travel chest that allows you to store items in it, and allow you to transport things back and forth between the different cities with you. You can store documents, gems, and other items you may not need to carry on you all the time.
Demo: http://www.rmxpace.com/rmxpace/13g - It's the .zip file, assuming someone needed to know that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:12:53 PM by PhoenixFire »
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Rep:
Level 83
Fun!  I like mystery games a lot. 

-flap

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
Thanks, I certainly hope it ends up being a fun game for everyone :)

As soon as the judges give the go-ahead, I'll post up the demo of it that I completed. I plan to keep working on it though; it's nowhere even close to finished >.>

Rep:
Level 83
Nice.  I think I'll polish mine up a bit too before posting it.  :)

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
Update: Fixed a few minor issues pointed out in the video review done by yuyu and company, such as the confusion of not being able to enter the first house you see. Also added a few context items/interactive objects. Got rid of the odd reference to a fairy since it wasn't referenced or explained later in the game. Also changed up some of the enemies encountered.

Edit: I also fixed the bug that happens when (if) you defeat the witch in the dungeon. She now disappears properly, and  fixed the detection on whether or not you already defeated her, so she stops randomly appearing again afterwards. I also adjusted the balance on her, so you have a better chance of defeating her. I'll be expanding the in-between maps and polishing things up aesthetically. Stay tuned I suppose.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:14:17 AM by PhoenixFire »

Rep:
Level 72
2014 Best Topic
Added some minor logic updates to NPC's for after you have defeated the "boss" in this first chapter. Adding more maps, such as a master bedroom area in the Graves house, and modifying existing ones. In theory, you ~may~ be able to copy your save game over to the new game, but with the structure of some of the maps changing, I cannot guarentee that you won't get stuckin a wall or something. I'll have the download link updated momentarily..

Update/Edit: Turns out that I didn't have the copy on the server synched with the local machine repository, so when I wiped the drive to upgrade the computer, I, uhm.. Well, let's suffice it to say I was pissed at myself for not backing up files. The new download link / file should be good now, with the logic re-added and all. Still working on other features, but I do have a friend helping who's a graphic designer, and has worked with RMXP before :D

I'm still waiting on feedback from you all, so, have at it!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:40:24 AM by PhoenixFire »