RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Game In A Week XIII

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.

<o>_<o>
2013 Queen of RMRKGold - GIAW 102011 Best NewbieBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);oSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
#424 • Yesterday at 7:12 PM QuoteReport to moderator
ok good! (B

Spoiler for My Games and Art:
 pokeballboeOnlineFemale

Rep:
Level 93
2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.

#425 • Yesterday at 7:37 PM QuoteModifyRemoveReport to moderator
yuyu your triggering me you really should choose your words better
im going p
qetojpasdfiogansdfnio[
ro
Modify message

pokeballyuyu!OnlineFemale

Rep:  rep+  rep-
Level 77
<o>_<o>
2013 Queen of RMRKGold - GIAW 102011 Best NewbieBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity);oSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
#426 • Yesterday at 7:38 PM QuoteReport to moderator
thats not what your mothersaidt3q23w3wetwe4rr3wewesgr
we3twestwestwes
tw3ew3egs

pokeballboeOnlineFemale

Rep:
Level 93
2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.

#427 • Yesterday at 7:39 PM QuoteModifyRemoveReport to moderator
hipfipasfbhipsfip
hipaefadfadghaeghi
hipasffhipafadhiphipadf asfhiphipf werhi dipbhef m.zxvhipe m.zcfqehipc zbipd cm.bipgd cbipdg .bidv m.bidv m.cbkv;dsdvbk;
dv;nkvjk d dvkv khaipfhsipfh vnkddvvnkdvdnk m   fbdvdgg deh th e
Modify message
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Project of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

The Lhuvia Tales [Current]

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Phoenix Wright: Haunted Turnabout [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep: +0/-0Level 36
Thanks for the kind comments.  I totally welcome any other reviews/criticism/etc.  I didn't know much about this community so I thought I was trolling the contest, but I'm glad to find that people liked my game.  2nd place is huge for me, I put a lot of work into it.

2 kawaii 2 live
Rep:
Level 40
2 sugoi 2 die
Yuyu, I only ask that you wait to review my game until after I fix it. :3

Rep:
Level 72
The cloaked schemer
Most Promising Project 2014
I didn't get last :O
I have succeeded in life

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
Yeah flap, it was a real shame. hearing you talk about it, seeing the screenies and just the general updatedness of the other versions made the game look so much more complete and interesting and unique and to be honest you really would have got a much higher score.
Unfortunately, teh first version submitted did bug out pretty early and we just couldn't really review versions submitted later when that was already late :/
That said, was still interesting enoughf or what little could be seen by then, which isn't always easy.

And Legacy, I am! I did actually see the review with the low scores and it just blew my mind, I couldn't make any sense of it at all; I thought the game ran flawlessly, and as far as I can tell it was pretty much the only bug-free game.  Regardless of score though, you should be proud enough for having what at the very least was a clean, finished, playable and well wrapped up game :)

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
Aye Kilgore, was a great fun game, so good seeing so many different mechanics being plowed into one game and it feeling natural enough for what it was ; good laugh, too, and almost entirely bug-free; was pretty impressed at just how much you got done, if nothing else! :)

Rep: +0/-0Level 36
Aye Kilgore, was a great fun game, so good seeing so many different mechanics being plowed into one game and it feeling natural enough for what it was ; good laugh, too, and almost entirely bug-free; was pretty impressed at just how much you got done, if nothing else! :)

Well, it's not my first rodeo and I'm very methodical.
I really like the idea of multi-genre games, especially if they jump back and forth between different styles.  Warioware is sort of my main inspiration, but obviously I took ideas from other aforementioned games, as well as chrono trigger, the mother series, turtles in time, the triathlon in mario RPG, samurai jack, drawn together, old x-men cartoons, etc.
Being so new to the site and knowing what the RPG making community can be like, I half expected people to be really offended by the game or at least not take it seriously at all.  Getting 2nd was a huge surprise to say the least.

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Project of the Year 20142014 Best RPG Maker User - Story2014 Queen of RMRK2011 Best Newbie2014 Kindest Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Creativity2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.GOOD!For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2012 Best Yuyubabe Smiley;o
It's stupidly late but the video upload went a bit faster than expected, so I went ahead and posted our first video review. We started off with one of the higher placed games: bluntsword's the "Undimmed Tablets"! :-)

The video is a bit long, sorry. ;9 The other ones will hopefully be shorter. I'll be posting the video reviews here: http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=49434.0
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 36
Scripter
First of all I have to say that I'm happy to see that the judges are more objective than I expected, because I expected to have low scores because of we started in this forum to take part in the GIAW. Now, after reading the judges opinion I think I'm partially agree with them.

I also think that we get good scores having in mind that we added ourselves more limitations that other games have more limitations that the others, because we decided to do a "true" Game in a week. We decided to use only things we could make from scratch in the week the week we developed the game, we didn't even started to think about the game until our start date arrived.

One judge even commented that it's extremely similar to "Lost in the Blue" in terms of the systems.
We also noticed the similarity, although it wasn't intentional. We decided to make it a survival game on the third day, first it was suposed to be a puzzle game, but we read in the topic that more people was doing puzzle games and we decided to change it to do something different. And using the already done time script it was the fastest survival system we thought about. And I'm happy that I couldn't finish it, because our plan was that the standard difficulty should be even more hardcore (game over if hunger goes to 0 or sleep goes to 0 in a dangerous place, reseting the saved game when game over and funny causes of death).

The main flaw to this entry is that all of the judges felt... well, lost. We had next to no information, no direction, and no idea what we were really doing aside from getting our asses handed to us by the wildlife. Incidentally, wandering around in circles and having my ass handed to me isn't very fun.
That was totally the intention of the first part of the game, but I think that we should have given more clues in the second part to not make the game frustrating.

Finally, I'd like to ask to the judges if they find any critical bug which makes them unable to get the end of the game, because we've got planned to post the GIAW version and a revised version of the game in the forum.

Rep: +0/-0Level 70
RMRK Junior
Participant - GIAW 11
HOLYYYYYYYYYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! 7THHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! HELLL YSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sdog:

Lol I got a much better place than I expected xD I thought I would be at very end or something xD Well I'm more than overjoyed this year with my score! And I guess I did make the enemies too strong. Ah well! Finished product will definitely be much more polished and completed than current one.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:03:09 PM by Kodi123 »

Rep:
Level 87
Spoiler for:
Additionally, ALL of the judges found the story to be quite interesting, but I can't say why without spoiling anything!

I'm glad the judges appreciated that part of the story as much as I did :D. It's pretty much the main reason I did the game/story.

Good to see them in; gutted about 5th place though; I think I'd have to say that was probably my favourite game out of the bunch, sad to see it not...well, 1st tbh.

Glad you liked it xD. I do wish this was the Game in a Week and a Day competition because it would have turned out a BILLION times better. Unfortunately, I had TWO doubles this week mixed in with like 4 other days of just a normal shift. I was pretty much non-stop working on this when I got home, which was pretty draining. If I had that one last day, I coulda actually implemented some of the changes I wanted to put in. Hell, I might have been able to actually cut the hidden mechanic like I wanted to :D.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:49:57 PM by Legacy »

Rep:
Level 81
Participant - GIAW 11
Well I got last place and the review was pretty negative and was like what I said before wasn't even viewed or something.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )
bringing sexy back

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Phew, I've got the chain of prizes underway now.

The top three places will each take turns and pick out one prize at a time in order from their rank (1st > 2nd > 3rd), until we have third place with their pick of two prizes, second place with three prizes, and first place with a whopping four. After that, we'll go down the line to let more contestants pick out their choice of one prize prize per until we either run out of people to give prizes to or until the people behind the contest curtains tell me to stop giving away all our stuff. The extra prizes are my way of making up for the delays in releasing the scores.

Additionally, each and every person from first place to last place can pick out a single Pokemon from 001 to 493 that they would like to add to their RMRK collection! For those of you who are new to the forums and don't know what I'm talking about, check out this thread for info: http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=48707.0. It's basically just a bit of silliness that RMRK has been having fun with for a while now.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Congrats everyone :D

Rep:
Level 36
Scripter
In case of teams how are the prizes divided?

Rep:
Level 83
Well, I may have placed low, but yuyu is being awesome and using my completed game for the video review.  It at least won't bug out (or shouldn't too badly).

RMRK's dad-in-training
Rep:
Level 72
Busy Husband, Dad, and Youth Minister
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Easy Mode)2014 Best WriterBronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.2012 Best NewbieContestant - GIAW 9
I really just need to play test my entries more.

Bugs bring me down every time. I should learn/know better by now!

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
We need a purposely-but-maybe-not-purposely bad game making contest. >:[ You guys have no idea how fun the Wyvern was to make! ;] The pressure was off and I just had a bloody good time.

In all seriousness, making a horrible, rushed game gives you the chance to see something all the way through - and I know how hard it can be to finish a game for most people (myself included). You can sort of get a feel for what a complete game should function like (if that makes sense), and that can help you set guidelines for the future. Or maybe even go back through and clean up the "rushed" game and make it pretty after you've got the core down.

Basically, it gives a bit of perspective. B)

Well I got last place and the review was pretty negative and was like what I said before wasn't even viewed or something.

I know not everyone has something good to say about it, but there is definitely a lot to be learned from the experience. :) We added some constructive criticism in the video review, but I'll go ahead and post something brief here. :) The goal is to help you improve from the experience, after all!

Spoiler for:
Visuals
The maps were just a bit spacious, so adding clutter can really help! What I like to do is minimize the map size. I find that the best maps are the ones that function like real life - you've got very little space and have to find out where to put all your essentials! Think of everything he'll need in his room: a bed, a dresser, a desk, a tv (maybe), some extra drawers, a lamp, etc. There tends to not be so many essentials in a bed room, so oftentimes I like to make those rooms very, very tiny!

The character and sprite didn't match all too well. When I was first starting out, I really wanted to use Kaduki's stuff, but the sprites didn't seem to go with any of the RTP ones. Grr! Still, sometimes its easier to look up facesets for the RTP characters - and trust me, there's a lot of 'em out there!

Gameplay
Mechanics - Be careful about the allure of scripts! They might look sexy and those charming scripters want you to buy their stuff like a buncha snake oil salesmen (lol just kidding but srsly). For non-scripters, the idea of scripts is magical, thus we tend to spend a lot of time hunting for them (not saying that you did that per se, but just in case). Therefore, what might be a good idea is to take note of a list of "essential" scripts that make your life easier. Avoid the ones that aren't plug-n-play, especially with a timed contest. For example, I've seen the light and decided to use MA's Formatting script on basically every game ever because it eliminates a lot of time with formatting your own text, and play-testing your text to make sure there are no cut-offs.

Bugs?! - Okay, with your game passability was a bit of an issue. The only really good way to get around this is to test play a loooot! You may have to stop and test play a little bit after every scene. It's a good idea to set aside the last day for nothing but test playing. 9 times out of 10, bugs are the leading pesky jerks that absolutely crush a score.

Writing/Story
There wasn't enough of a demo for us to get a look at the story, sadly. But there was dialogue and a few minor misspellings. Those are usually overlooked quite easily, but it still helps to keep an eye on that. What might help is to write your dialogue lines in MS Word or something, which will spell-check for you, and then copy + paste it into RPG Maker.

And I hope that small review was enough to help even a little bit!

Well, I may have placed low, but yuyu is being awesome and using my completed game for the video review.  It at least won't bug out (or shouldn't too badly).

We'll probably review this one next, tomorrow or so! :D Sadly, I've been unable to get to posting the other two videos yet today, nor have I done my darned algebra and biotech homework. ._. Both games are fairly short, so it shouldn't take too long! :D
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 81
Participant - GIAW 11
I know not everyone has something good to say about it, but there is definitely a lot to be learned from the experience. :) We added some constructive criticism in the video review, but I'll go ahead and post something brief here. :) The goal is to help you improve from the experience, after all!

Spoiler for:
Visuals
The maps were just a bit spacious, so adding clutter can really help! What I like to do is minimize the map size. I find that the best maps are the ones that function like real life - you've got very little space and have to find out where to put all your essentials! Think of everything he'll need in his room: a bed, a dresser, a desk, a tv (maybe), some extra drawers, a lamp, etc. There tends to not be so many essentials in a bed room, so oftentimes I like to make those rooms very, very tiny!

The character and sprite didn't match all too well. When I was first starting out, I really wanted to use Kaduki's stuff, but the sprites didn't seem to go with any of the RTP ones. Grr! Still, sometimes its easier to look up facesets for the RTP characters - and trust me, there's a lot of 'em out there!

Gameplay
Mechanics - Be careful about the allure of scripts! They might look sexy and those charming scripters want you to buy their stuff like a buncha snake oil salesmen (lol just kidding but srsly). For non-scripters, the idea of scripts is magical, thus we tend to spend a lot of time hunting for them (not saying that you did that per se, but just in case). Therefore, what might be a good idea is to take note of a list of "essential" scripts that make your life easier. Avoid the ones that aren't plug-n-play, especially with a timed contest. For example, I've seen the light and decided to use MA's Formatting script on basically every game ever because it eliminates a lot of time with formatting your own text, and play-testing your text to make sure there are no cut-offs.

Bugs?! - Okay, with your game passability was a bit of an issue. The only really good way to get around this is to test play a loooot! You may have to stop and test play a little bit after every scene. It's a good idea to set aside the last day for nothing but test playing. 9 times out of 10, bugs are the leading pesky jerks that absolutely crush a score.

Writing/Story
There wasn't enough of a demo for us to get a look at the story, sadly. But there was dialogue and a few minor misspellings. Those are usually overlooked quite easily, but it still helps to keep an eye on that. What might help is to write your dialogue lines in MS Word or something, which will spell-check for you, and then copy + paste it into RPG Maker.

And I hope that small review was enough to help even a little bit!

Well I can still take some positives out of what was said before regardless I suppose but thank you.

While I do know that there are problems with it I did what I could at the time though I know some rooms could of used more things in them. Also the scripts were supposed to see more use further on down the line. Other than that I suppose there is a chance there was problems with some dialogue in terms of spelling and etc. due to rushing and the same goes for any possibility issues as well.

The character sprite was done in Character Hub while I didn't really get to editing the faceset to work said sprite (the hair and the clothing that is seen needed to be black this being due to how he will be dressed for a majority of the game rather than just the prologue section). I suppose that is might be possible though to find something suitable though as you mentioned but who knows, though on another note I know I need to get more tilesets together if I want to continue since I think I could use certain things for later that I don't think I have right now (had problems finding it before as well).

Anyway I appreciate your input and if possible would like to receive it in the future as well.

@Zylos: Are we allowed to choose shiny ones by some odd chance?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:28:05 AM by SamieltheMDS »

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
I didn't get last :O
I have succeeded in life

Basically, this... Also, although I may have scored a little lower on this than I had hoped, I do plan to make this into a full-fledged game. I',m actually surprised it's referred to as more of a game, compared to to others labelled as demos  :lol: I'll go ahead and post up stuff about it... eventually.. All I ask is the same for my video review as Neko did; play the updated game please :p It fixed alot of things, and in reality, would have only been a day late, knocking off 0.5, but I think the score would have been at least another 1 - 1.5 points anyways... (holy crap that would have boosted me to like 5th or 6th place...)

Anyways, all ranting aside, I would love to have everyone play and rate the game at some point, so I'll create/update/etc topic about it :p
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

The Hero of Rhyme
Rep:
Level 83
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
All I ask is the same for my video review as Neko did; play the updated game please :p

Uhhh...oops. ;9 Too late on that one...

We kinda were picking at random, based on how much time each game would take us. ;9 We started with one longer game: Undimmed Tablets, and then two shorter games, which ended up being Ghost Hunt and Thirteen Ghosts. Kinda quick start on the reviews this time around.
ℒℴѵℯ❤

My Artwork Thread

Ambassador [Complete]

The Postman [Complete]

The Wyvern [Complete]

Major Arcana [Cancelled]

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
 ;9 o-okay...

It's not too important or anything, but it would have shown a more accurate depiction of the game. One of issues mentioned was a huge difference in enemy strength (which although intentional, since it was a demo, and there was really nothing to do after the final boss, who 99.999999% of the time killed you) that was fixed in the updated version. In addition to that, in the review, it mentions "he" whereas in the current version (though I thought I implemented this before I sent the demo) you can choose male or female, and, hard mode or normal mode. Maps were mentioned too, and, although not ALOT was done, I did make changes to many maps while I was at it  :P

So yeah, basically this:

I do wish this was the Game in a Week and a Day competition because it would have turned out a BILLION times better.
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

Rep:
Level 83
I want to play the game, Phoenix, if you're distributing it :)